• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 80,000 units at launch in Spain, 3.5:1 ahead of XB1

El-Suave

I wonder if the free Fifa game helped Microsoft AT ALL in Europe. It still doesn't cover the entire price gap but in theory it should have generated some additional sales.

~~Hasan~~

So according to my list of world war

Xb1:
Australia

am i missing something here ? all i read from the other thread that Xbox one smashed the sales in australia in terms of crushing the Wii sales. nothing related to PS4 sales though. am i wrong ?

i do not expect the Xbox one to out sell the PS4 in any region to be honest. not for the time being with that much difference in price " console power is another subjective term for now "

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So according to my list of world war

Xb1:
Brazil
Australia

Ps4:
UK
Spain

hmmmm.... Australia is pretty suspect here. Every single retailer straight up said it's a supply issue, not a demand one.

am i missing something here ? all i read from the other thread that Xbox one smashed the sales in australia in terms of crushing the Wii sales. nothing related to PS4 sales though. am i wrong ?

i do not expect the Xbox one to out sell the PS4 in any region to be honest. not for the time being with that much difference in price " console power is another subjective term for now "

It's been inferred that XBONE currently has more installed units in Australia.. and the inference is that Sony is SEVERELY supply constrained in Australia. aka the demand for PS4 is significantly higher than XBONE, but actual units installed in homes is higher on XBONE because of low PS4 supply.

beast786

Is there a source for Brazil? What with the gray market and all.

Don't you ever question my source and method in public again

RickJamesSlap.gif

Jack cw

I would be very interested in some numbers for Germany.

Isnt GfK tracking those numbers?
I think they are close to what we see in UK and Spain. At least a 2:1 in favour of PS4. I cant remember that the guys over here clubed the hell out of each other in stores for a xbone.

Ulumsk

If it's anything like Norway were you weren't guaranteed a unit by christmas even if you preordered I wouldn't look too hard on numbers until stores are able to keep stock on their shelves, especially in Europe where the signs point to greater demand than supply.

What are you argueing really? I said the ratio is really good for a country in shambles.

Since when is Spain not in shambles?

well, people living a country in shambles couldn't afford those systems (PS4+XB1+rest), just think about it.

this is not the right thread (offtopic maybe?) to talk about this subject, I don't want to derrail this but it seems you're making it looks worse than what it really is.

Shahed

I love this graph, people always say UK is xboxland but this always clearly shows that it means it's only on par with PS3.
That only shows one month from a year near the end of the console cycle. Most of the damage was done early on before the Slim. Also while the difference bwtween the hardware sold each month is not as big as it was, the software totals are when the 360 really dominates the PS3 badly here

The article reads that "there are still 12000 - 15000 preorders pending collection".

I'm not 100% sure whether this is related to people not picking up their preorders yet or the lack of stocks but most likely the latter, since a few lines below they state that "this week an additional 15k units have been sent to retailers to fulfill preorders and meet demand".

Also worth mentioning that +1 month before release retailers stopped taking preorders since they were not going to get enough stock for launch. So I would say demand is being quite good so far.

It's rather surprising to me how few consoles are sold per capita in Europe relative to North America.

That's because you don't live here. Countries like Portugal, Spain and Greece are on the verge of disaster. Every day is a fucking struggle.
In this case though it's a matter of stock, 80000 for a market as big as Spain is nothing even in the current economy considering the demand there is for everything Playstation.

well, people living a country in shambles couldn't afford those systems (PS4+XB1+rest), just think about it.

this is not the right thread (offtopic maybe?) to talk about this subject, I don't want to derrail this but it seems you're making it looks worse than what it really is.

No, it's really that bad. Of course a country with 47 million people still has a few hundred thousands who can afford a friggin' console. God, what am I reading?

Kosma

Banned

Yeah lets not derail this with economics etc. I know there are still affluent people in Spain and I have been there this year, but the unemployment and social unrest are pretty high. Protests every day etc.

Do these sort of posts serve any purpose whatsoever other than to fuel a flame war?

We get to derive actual sales figures, breakdown across regions, and get an idea of the level of demand for these products at launch.

War is an unfortunate by-product from news like this, but it's far from only being fuel for flames.

And it also compels the local SpainGAF to chime in their qualitative perspective on these news reports.

jsip

Banned
Nice to see this. But Spain is traditionally more towards Sony. Still great to see that even with economical problems there is a market and people buy those consoles. I also think that Microsoft are going to lose even more marketshare all around EU, now that UK has been reclaimed by Sony.
I'm fairly certain Earth, in general, is more for Sony now given how MS completely botched nearly everything the XO encompasses.

Not that I doubt the difference, but that figure is coming informally from the Playstation guys. Not exactly an official account of the situation.

Ratio at launch is highly unreliable anyway, since we don't know how much of it is caused by supply constraint on both sides.

Officially. We don't know how the grey market looks.

That's 90% of the entire console market in Brazil, so the grey market leader is what wins.

The grey market units come from another countries, so wouldn't they already be counted already?

Valkyria

Banned
Well not a big surprise. There is people still waiting for their consoles and until next year I doubt you can buy one at a store.

Jack cw

I'm fairly certain Earth, in general, is more for Sony now given how MS completely botched nearly everything the XO encompasses.

True but it is still interesting to see the trends. Demand and stock. Its a tendency of what to expect. If it sells at this 2,5:1 ratio then in 3 years we have a console that has 2 thirds of marketshare. Different situation than current gen.

gaming_noob

Shouldn't come as a surprise anymore. PS4 beats the XbOne in just about every little bullet point, from being more powerful and cheaper to better install speeds and even more usable HDD space (406MB/500 vs ~370/500). This is the equivalent of Zdeno Chara vs Brian Gionta in a hockey fight.

Raist

Banned
It's rather surprising to me how few consoles are sold per capita in Europe relative to North America.

Yeah, no... Unless you restrict your observation to countries with insane unemployment tes and based on numbers from a supply-started launch.

Kysen

I wonder if the free Fifa game helped Microsoft AT ALL in Europe. It still doesn't cover the entire price gap but in theory it should have generated some additional sales.

It did until they ran out of day one editions (the only ones with the free game).

Not quite. Playstation Spain can claim any ratio difference it wants. The fact is, no one knows the Xbox One sales figure in Spain. It hasn't been released.

MS can come out and deny this claim if they want. But if you notice MS doesn't really seem all that interested in talking specifics when it comes to Xbox One numbers.

Not quite. Playstation Spain can claim any ratio difference it wants. The fact is, no one knows the Xbox One sales figure in Spain. It hasn't been released.

So, you're saying we can't trust the Australian figures either, right? Those came from Xbox. They only claimed to outsell PS4, but until Sony releases figures we don't actually know.

Top Bottom