• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sold 45k units at launch in Spain

There's no stock remaining to sell more. They will easily sell their two millions consoles by the end of the month.

Oh, I know, it's even looking scarce here in the UK, which is certainly better than I expected. It was more of a hypothetical though, whether a launch with MK would sell more than one with Zelda i.e. no supply constraints, no selling out etc.

casiopao

And your typical member of the general public walks into a game shop and sees a Switch for £280 and then MK8 for a further £50 or sees a Wii U with MK8 included for £150.

Which do you think they will buy?

MK8D will sell well to existing owners, I don't see it shifting a ton of new consoles.

Wii U is dead there. I don't think the stock is even there anymore in the wild.^^

Sterok

That's a particular case here as this MK WAS already bought by a big part of its base players ...

Now i indeed think MK is the one Nintendo game that goes beyond their fanbase. But i fear the price of the Switch makes it impossible to create a "buy the MK machine to play with friends" effect, for now.

Joycons. A decent amount of the cost is mitigated since you've got local 2-player multiplayer right out of the box. Could easily push Mario Kart 8 into being a system seller.

Wonko_C

That reminds me: What does SpainGAF think about this dude?

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=MbX8TD3CDsI

I just can't get a read on this guy. Sometimes he's right on the money but most often he's clearly a fanboy in denial (a Sony hater) and claims to be right on stuff he's pulling from his ass, yet I can't stop watching him because he does stupidly hilarious shit sometimes.

Maybe it's hard to find in the US and a lot of US Gaffers are just projecting.

Possibly. Of all the shops around me, I haven't been able to find much of anything for Switch other than a couple games in stock. Even the nearby GameStop by me when looking for screen protectors was only able to find one in stock a few towns away. Best Buy and Target didn't have anything else either.

Did snag up the Guardian and Zelda amiibos though when I could as Target had one left of each when I went in the day after launch. Haven't seen either of those restocked yet.

So far it seems like it's selling much better than the Wii U at launch.

I just can't get a read on this guy. Sometimes he's right on the money but most often he's clearly a fanboy in denial (a Sony hater) and claims to be right on stuff he's pulling from his ass, yet I can't stop watching him because he does stupidly hilarious shit sometimes.
Sasel on Gaf, I thought I would never see that day ... BTW, I think he is the funniest Youtuber from spain (IMO), but the Youtubers over there tends to be polarized as hell... he is not the exception. But when he review a game no matter the platform, he give solid arguments.

Charamiwa

Banned
Do you guys think that some of those strong opening numbers are just a result of the way we consume media nowadays? If you look at movies, opening week end are more important than ever, it's all about hype, pre orders, anticipation... Which maybe wasn't true a few years ago, not to this extent anyway.

Now obviously 44k vs 9k for the Wii U is a major step up and shows that the Switch is doing way better. But the fact that it's outselling every other console in existence is maybe due to a change in the market?

noshten

Switch and Zelda going to keep on selling for a few weeks I think. I'd honestly be surprised if the Switch ships less than 2.5 million in March.

j6GvrNK.jpg

Zelda is still top 5 in Twitch one week after release which is unusual for most single player games. Depending on the DLC and what it adds it might be one of the consistently watched SP game this year.
It's a system seller and based on the attach rate and I expect it to maintain it's high attachment rate for a while.

Do you guys think that some of those strong opening numbers are just a result of the way we consume media nowadays? If you look at movies, opening week end are more important than ever, it's all about hype, pre orders, anticipation... Which maybe wasn't true a few years ago, not to this extent anyway.

Now obviously 44k vs 9k for the Wii U is a major step up and shows that the Switch is doing way better. But the fact that it's outselling every other console in existence is maybe due to a change in the market?

I've said it for a while, but I'm expecting the Switch to be a frontloaded system compared to the 3DS and Wii U. Simply the output from Nintendo in the first year is exceptional compared to both 3DS and Wii U - I fully expect the system to outsell the Wii U's LTD in a single year. Not sure if Switch will be able to replicate 3DS sales in Japan but I think as a hybrid system it will do better than 3DS elsewhere in the World. I'm honestly expecting 60 million Switch devices to be shipped in about three years - 15 million by the end of 2017. It's just a question of production and Nintendo being able to provide on going support via it's biggest franchises each year. E3 will be important but even right now the combined output of 3DS/Wii U in their launch year is dwarfed by the Switch first year lineup which will provide three system selling games in the games first 6 months. On top of this we have things like Minecraft and Sports games coming and very nice indie support with 3rd Party publishers from Japan already supporting the device.

Switch and Zelda going to keep on selling for a few weeks I think. I'd honestly be surprised if the Switch ships less than 2.5 million in March.

Zelda is still top 5 in Twitch one week after release which is unusual for most single player games. Depending on the DLC and what it adds it might be one of the consistently watched SP game this year.
It's a system seller and based on the attach rate and I expect it to maintain it's high attachment rate for a while.

I've said it for a while, but I'm expecting the Switch to be a frontloaded system compared to the 3DS and Wii U. Simply the output from Nintendo in the first year is exceptional compared to both 3DS and Wii U - I fully expect the system to outsell the Wii U's LTD in a single year. Not sure if Switch will be able to replicate 3DS sales in Japan but I think as a hybrid system it will do better than 3DS elsewhere in the World. I'm honestly expecting 60 million Switch devices to be shipped in about three years - 15 million by the end of 2017.

15 million by the end of the year? Lol

shiyrley

Banned

that's the second dumbest person on the entire Internet
(the dumbest one is Dalas)
at least we get some fine memes thanks to him
80aTEnL.jpg

RZDbTcc.jpg

Basically Sasel is the Dalas of videogames.

And Dalas is the Dalas of everything.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The Wii U sold well at launch too, we need to see how it's supoorted in the next 6 months.

Didn't check the OP? Switch sold almost 5 times as many units as the WiiU in Spain at launch. I walked into a Gamestop on black Friday after the WiiU launch to buy NCAA Football and ended up taking one of the WiiU's from the pile of unnoticed boxes sitting behind the counter of this Gamestop that was near maximum occupancy. The WiiU didn't have a good launch.

Switch also has no further system sellers till Mario.

Point me to another console that had two legitimate "system sellers" in its launch year.

It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.

Where is much negativity at GAF about Switch? It's only the same few people that complains in every Switch thread, otherwise reactions are good or even enthusiastic.

ckaneo

Didn't check the OP? Switch sold almost 5 times as many units as the WiiU in Spain at launch. I walked into a Gamestop on black Friday after the WiiU launch to buy NCAA Football and ended up taking one of the WiiU's from the pile of unnoticed boxes sitting behind the counter of this Gamestop that was near maximum occupancy. The WiiU didn't have a good launch.

Point me to another console that had two legitimate "system sellers" in its launch year.
Problem with Nintendo is they don't get the 3rd party games, that's why they need constant system sellers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
And with the merging of the console and handheld divisions at Nintendo, this problem is mitigated. A lot.

i hope

pretty much 100% mitigated, N can put out a steady stream of AAA games by themselves . throw in indie greats and shit is golden

And with the merging of the console and handheld divisions at Nintendo, this problem is mitigated. A lot.

i hope

I mean, look at the first 9 months of first party games and you'll see far more output than they ever had with the Wii U or 3DS. Or even the Wii. 9 first party titles in the first 9 months. I think the Wii U had a total of 3.

Fdkn

He's always a fanboy in denial and I'd be worried if I thought he's right sometimes

Misterxmedia seems like a cool and calm dude next to him

I love MK and Splatoon, but I think calling them system sellers is stretching the term. They're solid titles, but few people looked to buy a system off the back of either, in comparison to how many were wondering if they could pick up a cheap Wii U just to play Zelda.

I think people underestimate Splatoon though. Splatoon was one of the primary system sellers on the Wii U - sales picked up a great amount after its release, and it has gone on to sell more than 5 million copies, just a few thousands less than Smash Bros.

asagami_

Banned
I wonder how many people are waiting to Holidays or just don't have the money yet. I'm in such situation and I want SO BAD the Switch ;_;

And there are people who would want a Switch just because certain games, like Megaten.
I buy a 3DS just for SMT IV... and now (also) I'm fan of more Nintendo IP's outside Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart/Smash. Fire Emblem is definitely my most favorite Nintendo IP right know haha.

oti

Banned
Mario Kart absolutely is a system seller. More so than Zelda by a long shot.

That too. I have no idea why some people believe MK8D won't sell because it originated on Wii U. Where are all of these Wii U owners coming from all of a sudden? Most people don't care it's an enhanced port. It's the same when people wondered why Nintendo bothered with an inferior version of Mario Maker on 3DS. Look at the sales. That's why.

orioto

Good Art™
Joycons. A decent amount of the cost is mitigated since you've got local 2-player multiplayer right out of the box. Could easily push Mario Kart 8 into being a system seller.

Yeah that's still 350 euros to play mario kart with a friend.

Fantastic opening. Its pretty clear at this point that the switch won't be a wii U level failure as many predicted. The question is will it be able to see similar success to the 3DS.

It's a shame that Nintendo don't have much SW to keep this momentum going. Maybe Zelda is enough to tide people over to Mario kart. Even then with the release schedule after that sales will surely slow right down. It's not until splatoon that I think things are likely to pick up at that point.

It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.

Like anywhere else, we've got a range of different reactions/predictions/etc.

I guess the sharply contrarian sentiments may stand out the most though. Remember a good chunk of the predictions around here regarding Playstation TV?
Still kinda tempted to pick one up even though my Vita's perfectly fine.

ggx2ac

15 million by the end of the year? Lol

I could see it happening. The 3DS shipped 15 million in its first year as well.

The difference is that it took a severe price cut and Mario games at the end of that year to get those numbers.

So far, Switch is breaking records in Europe which is shocking because 1) It suggests people are okay with the price of the system worldwide 2) Nintendo are only known to sell well in the US and Japan.

The Switch will have more major franchise titles in its first year than the Wii U or 3DS had, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Zelda BotW.

In three more months E3 will come around and if Pokémon Stars is announced as the rumours suggest, then Switch is likely to reach that 15 million in shipments.

We still haven't heard anything yet about a new animal crossing or whatever Retro is working on either.

And this is not counting third party titles but hey, maybe FIFA on Switch will do well since Switch is sold well at launch in Europe.

royox

I would have been one of those numbers if Zelda was a Switch exclusive. But it's on WiiU so just now I have 0 reasons to get it till Mario and Xenoblade2.

phanphare

Banned
Nintendo should release Splatoon NOW.

Ugh they are FLOPS. They have a Hinton their hands but the poor planning is going to hurt them.

they need to get their stock situation in order before Splatoon releases. Summer is perfect. game is going to blow up in Japan, at least. they're going to need consoles on shelves.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Nintendo should release Splatoon NOW.

Ugh they are FLOPS. They have a Hinton their hands but the poor planning is going to hurt them.

i don't see how. better to have zelda sell units til april, then roll out mk8. try some new ip out with arms and then e3 announcements and splatoon when (i believe) jp schools are on break in july.

id love to be playing it now, but their release schedule is well done so far

Top Bottom