• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

robo

Uncharted 3 was released 2 years ago so at least one team has had 2 years with the PS4 dev kit. So shouldn't we be expecting Uncharted next year at some point? VGX will be very interesting if uncharted is shown like in previous years and a release date anounced.

And Congrats to Sony, Huge Numbers.

Pity they will be beaten by EU in 2 weeks ;)

Majine

Banned
Uncharted 3 was released 2 years ago so at least one team has had 2 years with the PS4 dev kit. So shouldn't we be expecting Uncharted next year at some point? VGX will be very interesting if uncharted is shown like in previous years and a release date anounced.

Hopefully. UC3 was unveiled a year before launch, no?

Most people don't buy next-gen consoles to play indie games and cross-gen ports. The PS4's launch lineup is underwhelming.

I suggest you stay away from the NPD threads because the facts won't agree with you. Newsflash, nobody is going to care about DR3, Knack, Killzone and Ryse over Asscreed, CoD, BF4 because of who is publishing it. Just like nobody cares that GTA V could be played on more than one console. Third parties will always dominate.

You have every right to pretend the majority of each console lineup doesn't exist and cherry pick certain titles. That's fine. Consumers never done that, and won't start now

Dunkers92

I still can't get over this number. 1 million in a day is amazing. Never thought it would be this high. Congratulations Sony, well deserved.

Just 12 days away here now. Can't wait

S¡mon

Banned
Most people don't buy next-gen consoles to play indie games and cross-gen ports. The PS4's launch lineup is underwhelming.
That's why I focused on BF4, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden NFL, Assassin's Creed.

Those are the games the general public are buying consoles for. I believe that, in your opinion, but correct me if I'm wrong, the launch line-up is underwhelming because there are not enough PS4 exclusives?

Guess what... the general public doesn't care that much. They care about FIFA. They care about Call of Duty. They care about Assassin's Creed.
They don't care about Forza. They don't care about Killzone.

Sure, you've got the fans, but the real system sellers are the multiplatform titles. And in my opinion, if you look at those titles - BF4, Call of Duty, FIFA 14, etc. - we've truely got the best launch line-up ever.

I could see that. Hopefully Sony has more exclusives than that though. They need whatever boosts they can get. Heck, even the Destiny beta will help. I'm gonna dread this drought.

I think they'll launch 2 big games next Fall. Probably Uncharted and something else. Maybe GG's RPG if it gets completed by then.

Mexi

Banned
I wonder how well is going to do PlayStation 4 in Latin America.

Here in México it's doing pretty good but i don't know about other countries.

I think it will struggle in Brazil because of the very high price :/

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully. UC3 was unveiled a year before launch, no?

Yep, but they regret announcing it with a launch date. So it's possible that we get the release date at E3.

I wonder how well is going to do PlayStation 4 in Latin America.

Here in México it's doing pretty good but i don't know about other countries.

I think it will struggle in Brazil because of the very high price :/

It's doing well in Colombia, almost all units are sold out.

Skeff

Something like this would be good for Sony.

Infamous - March
Drive Club - May
The Order - September
Something big announced at E3 - November

November will be uncharted.

They also have Destiny and Watchdogs releasing in potentially the May window which are multi platform but have marketing and exclusive content.

I Imagine Driveclub might be released before Infamous and we may get TLoU port in June (they won't announce it until after the DLC has sold through of course)

My guess is:

February - Driveclub
March - Infamous
May - WatchDogs/Destiny Beta
June - Destiny/TLoU port
August - the Order
October - AC5 exclusive content
November - Uncharted

Seems pretty stacked with the first party released around the exclusive content/Marketting stuff.

Sony's first-party offerings are underwhelming (although Killzone looks the part) but the launch as a whole isn't bad. I think you're wrong on the first part of it. Nearly everyone I know says their getting a PS4 to play Assassin's Creed IV or Battlefield 4 or something similar. And the launch figures obviously back-up that a lot of people feel that way too.

Derrick01

Banned
Something like this would be good for Sony.

Infamous - March
Drive Club - May
The Order - September
Something big announced at E3 - November

Pretty sure Uncharted is going to be their big Fall game next year.

Don't forget MLB in March too! They have a chance to pull off a similar thing that NBA 2k did with the system, impress people with the graphics so much that non sports gamers want to buy it.

Frillen

Erm, a million day 1 buyers in the US alone say otherwise...lol.

That has nothing to do with the launch lineup but about Sony doing a heck of a job hyping people up for the PS4. The fact that this generation has gone 2-3 years over its time also helped. People are starved for a new gen, so they would've bought the PS4 even if the only game available was Hot Poop: The Game. Personally I preordered the PS4 back in June and I'm looking forward to getting a new system on the 29th, but I can't say the launch lineup is very good.

Gator86

Even better would be

Drive Club - Feb
Infamous - March
Ground Zeroes- March
WatchDogs - April
The Order - September
Uncharted 4 - November

I hope this man is right. These plus all the other multiplats, cross gen upgrades like rayman legends, and indies will be an incredible first year. Sony is rolling right now.

FuturusX

They also have Destiny and Watchdogs releasing in potentially the May window which are multi platform but have marketing and exclusive content.

I Imagine Driveclub might be released before Infamous and we may get TLoU port in June (they won't announce it until after the DLC has sold through of course)

My guess is:

February - Driveclub
March - Infamous
June - Destiny/TLoU port
August - the Order
November - Uncharted

Seems pretty stacked with the first party released around the exclusive content/Marketting stuff.

TLOU remake / port with bonus content....cynical but a good filler. See Wind Waker HD - Sony.

My guess is:

February - Driveclub
March - Infamous
June - Destiny/TLoU port
August - the Order
November - Uncharted

Did they not say that The Order was a launch window title though? Do not forget the indies like Galak-Z, then games like Planetside 2 and Octodad and Transistors ( ? ) and such like that. War Thunder hits during the Europe launch.

When does Deep Down plan to hit? No region lock and it does not look too text intensive so downloading from the japanese PSN store could be logical.

Oh yeah and then Final Fantasy 14 hits in early 2014 too. The software lineup is truly stacked if you as me.

You also forgot about MLB : The Show 14.

That's alot of people capable of playing Infamous: Second Son next year.

Be sure to exercise your power.

Not convinced the Infamous franchise is strong enough to pull the level of sales some people seem to be suggesting with this title. Uncharted on the other hand? I have high hopes that it'll become a system seller this gen

Goodlife

Amazing numbers.
Must admit I'm shocked, most gamers I've spoken to in the real world have been very not bothered about the next gen, seen no real reasons to upgrade just yet.
Well done Sony

That has nothing to do with the launch lineup but about Sony doing a heck of a job hyping people up for the PS4. The fact that this generation has gone 2-3 years over its time also helped. People are starved for a new gen, so they would've bought the PS4 even if the only game available was Hot Poop: The Game. Personally I preordered the PS4 back in June and I'm looking forward to getting a new system on the 29th, but I can't say the launch lineup is very good.
This is some pretty ridiculous logic.

Oh man, the people in this thread trying to downplay this are hilarious. Crow is already being served, and it has only been a few days. I can't wait for the coming months. I have a folder filled with bookmarks of terrible predictions just waiting to be posted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys are kinda wrong, IMO. Launch lineups do matter a little when you've got some choice-- the reality is the PS4 has a very strong launch lineup of games people want to play. Call of Duty. Battlefield. Assassin's Creed. Madden. FIFA. These are games people want to play. I know the hardcore gamers in us are like, "FUKIN SONY DOESNT HAVE NEW JRPG IP AT LAUNCH, CRAP LAUNCH," but people are chomping at the bit to play the franchises they like.

edit: wow I was beaten

Snakeyes

You do realize you've picked the absolute worst thread to make this argument right? "Nobody buys next gen consoles to play crossgen games and PS4 has no exclusives". Yet we're here today with 1 million plus PS4s sold and 9 times out of ten, games like call of duty, battlefield, nba 2k14 and madden will be the best sellers. And then you games like Shadowfall topping the charts.
The PS4 is breaking records despite the lackluster lineup. It's selling because of the price, hype, last-gen fatigue and future potential.

Into

Blame Jimmy Fallon. I honestly think that segment sold a lot of people on the PS4 + Camera. Hell I kind of want to get a camera solely to mess around in playroom when my nephews visit.

Fallon is also probably one of the major reasons why the big wigs at MS realised their mistake with the initial "vision" for the Xbox One. I am sure it was mainly the pre orders or lack thereof, but Fallon certainly played his part.

Valentus

I repeat my question (sorry if is already answered)

Will sony have enough stock for black friday?, or Sony sacrificed black friday to have a more "news media impact" console launch?

could it be that they will skip black friday for having enough reestock for christmas?

According to Amazon, Assassin's Creed is the PS4's best selling game.So the facts don't back up your statement.

For myself, with all the bad reviews flying around I haven't bought a game yet and have been having fun playing DCU Online, Resogun, and Warframe. The out of box experience for the PS4 is incredible.

artist

Banned
yhPw43F.png

This makes it seem pretty ridiculous.
Got damn

molnizzle

I bought a PS4 to play Battlefield 4 at 60 FPS with 64 players. Since the servers have been fucked I've been spending most of my time with NFS Rivals (and loving it). I haven't even touched Resogun or AC4 yet.

The launch lineup was great.

Even better would be

Drive Club - Feb
Infamous - March
Ground Zeroes- March
WatchDogs - April
The Order - September
Uncharted 4 - November

Hope you don't mind if I pilfer your list for a bit of fanfiction here dude, but I'm in a speculatin' mood:

Drive Club - Feb
Yakuza Ishin(JP) - Feb
Infamous - March
Ground Zeroes- March
WatchDogs - April
Destiny - May
Thief - May
Last of Us GOTY - June
The Order - September
GTA V - September
Witcher 3 - October
Uncharted 4 - November
CoD - November
Assassin's Creed 5 - December

There's obviously a lot of guesswork there, but I think if they play their cards right they should easily be able to have one major title that'll draw attention for the platform (Lot of multis I know, but I just listed ones I think could be big for PS4). July and August have me a bit stumped though :/

This also doesn't include any downloadable stuff like Rime, Rapture and such... but they're not likely to be system sellers. Minecraft could potential be a tipping point for some fence sitting casual types though... who knows?

KORNdoggy

I actually agree the launch lineup isn't the best in terms of exclusives...i have 16 games day 1, but there isn't an uncharted level title. My comment was stating how it's irrelevant for most people, as the sales prove. To say people don't buy consoles for multiplats and indie games is pure fallacy. You and me both are doing just that. full fat BF experience, AC with a non dire framerate etc. the best console version of COD you can buy...that's all "most people" want...and it's clear that delivering those things is enough.

The PS4 is breaking records despite the lackluster lineup. It's selling because of the price, hype, last-gen fatigue and future potential.
Lackluster in whose eyes exactly? This is probably the point where you should realize that your opinion or even the whole of GAFs opinion means shit outside of these walls.

PS4 has a very strong lineup for retail. You pulling up every other reason the PS4 could be selling well outta your ass isn't going to change that.

Top Bottom