• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Biker19

Banned
fP2ryVE.png

As I've been saying for a while, launch lineups don't mean a damn thing. They never have, and never will.

Agreed. People who think that "Having a great launch lineup will determine the console winner," etc. are delusional as dirt. It's the long term support of games that does.

While PS4's launch lineup isn't perfect, Xbox One's lineup isn't exactly very perfect, either.

Hopefully PS+ subscriptions increase and then maybe I will have faith in the gaming population to know what it means to pay for good service.

It's going to be hard to get real numbers for PS+ for a while, at least in North America. I know mine came with a free month of PS+, even though the bundle I got already had a free year.

Paznos

Wow! that's insane, I guess next gen has finally started. Very Impressive Sony! can't wait to see what's to come this gen.

My PS4 should be here later today, hyped!.

Omiee

so microsoft will be happy if they sell around 800k worlwide on the 22nd?

do we have any indications from microsoft or analysts?

Yep. PS2 had a shit launch, one of the worst ive ever seen. And it sold like hot cakes from day one.

There is more to selling consoles than just currently released games. The only decent games were Tekken Tag and later on SSX, otherwise it was lousy Dreamcast ports of games like Code Veronica and Dead or Alive 2, all looked better on the DC as they were rushed ports.

Basically. PS4 has a such strong appeal at a relatively affordable price. It's an excelently designed product all around. People know that games will come and the launch offering isn't anything lo look down upon.

Nerfon

A heavy hitter for ps4 can be everquest next and it's landmark :

“Although we haven’t specifically made any announcements, we will be bringing our major stuff over there [on PS4], including Everquest," Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley told IGN. "We’re not talking exactly about what it would be, but let’s just say it would closely resemble Everquest Next.” Its ForgeLight Engine, Smedley says, is running plenty fine on PS4, and has been for some time.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/sony-on-the-future-of-ps4-everquest-next-and-the-agency

P.S vita remote play is a killer option for mmo players ;)

S¡mon

Banned
fP2ryVE.png

As I've been saying for a while, launch lineups don't mean a damn thing. They never have, and never will.
I believe you're wrong. Launch line-ups do matter.

It is just that that the topic starter of "Sony Dropped The Ball (...)" is wrong. I mean, come on. We've got an absolutely amazing launch line-up.

First of all, we've got some great indie games + F2P games (so everybody at least has some games). Secondly, we've got, perhaps, the best launch line-up in history. Sure, they are mostly multiplatform titles... but still:

- A brand new Call of Duty (by far the most popular franchise this past generation)
- Battlefield 4 (this is a public's favourite)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (it's got pirates... and it's a new AC - you know, a popular game series)
- Need for Speed (20 games... and it's still selling - people love NFS)

And so on. These are great titles.

No, they are not exclusive... but it's what the public wants. And the PS4's got what the public wants.

Now it is a race to get more quality games to the market to sustain the momentum. I think they have the studios to do it but I personally think they should let these games bake as long as possible before release. They need exclusive games that are true 9's in order to sell systems. This is why I think the Order should be a fall release.

Hopefully they upgrade the UI/OS/Online experience by then. Imagine what they could do if they rivaled Microsoft on that front.

crinale

As for launch games, PS4 has not only first titles (which some of them are panned by critics, though) but also CoD, Battlefield and Assassin's Creed! What else could you ask for?

Azure J

This number is sooooooo nuts. Good fucking shit to Sony though, they really knew how to maneuver and position themselves for a great launch.

Snakeyes

S¡mon;90263102 said:
I believe you're wrong. Launch line-ups do matter.

It is just that that the topic starter of "Sony Dropped The Ball (...)" is wrong. I mean, come on. We've got an absolutely amazing launch line-up.

First of all, we've got some great indie games + F2P games (so everybody at least has some games). Secondly, we've got, perhaps, the best launch line-up in history. Sure, they are mostly multiplatform titles... but still:

- A brand new Call of Duty (by far the most popular franchise this past generation)
- Battlefield 4 (this is a public's favourite)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (it's got pirates... and it's a new AC - you know, a popular game series)
- Need for Speed (20 games... and it's still selling - people love NFS)

And so on. These are great titles.

No, they are not exclusive... but it's what the public wants. And the PS4's got what the public wants.

Most people don't buy next-gen consoles to play indie games and cross-gen ports. The PS4's launch lineup is underwhelming.

knkng

Why is it so hard to manufacture 10 million consoles? I mean apple seems to be able to ship 20+ million phones in a month.

The manufacturing process for the iPhone is already in place. Even with every upgrade the changes made to the actual manufacturing process are rather limited. In the case of the PS4, they are assembling an entirely new product from scratch. Everything down to the molding of the plastic buttons has changed, and the assembly process has to be completely redesigned to account for this. It's basically like rebuilding a factory and then getting it working smoothly again.

Curufinwe

Now it is a race to get more quality games to the market to sustain the momentum. I think they have the studios to do it but I personally think they should let these games bake as long as possible before release. They need exclusive games that are true 9's in order to sell systems. This is why I think the Order should be a fall release.

Hopefully they upgrade the UI/OS/Online experience by then. Imagine what they could do if they rivaled Microsoft on that front.

Something like this would be good for Sony.

Infamous - March
Drive Club - May
The Order - September
Something big announced at E3 - November

Most people don't buy next-gen consoles to play indie games and cross-gen ports. The PS4's launch lineup is underwhelming.

Did you miss CoD2 on XBox 360? The people who have said that cross gen is bad for launch were obviously wrong. Where cross gen may hurt is next year when demand dies down if there is still a lot of cross gen games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think it's because of how long last gen was (wow I called it last gen for the first time) I mean it took 8 freaking years. I guess people were just ready to move and many bought PS4 without waiting for games they want or anything.

I think part of it is that Apple has convinced us that dropping $500 on a new iPad every 2 years or so isn't such a big deal.... And then people see PS4 for $400 with this gen having just lasted so long.... Well it's a good use of money to the consumer.

Ive been saying for years that the biggest innovation Apple brrought to the consumer electronic market was to convince people it was ok to spend ridiculous amounts of money On gadgets.

crinale

Ive been saying for years that the biggest innovation Apple brrought to the consumer electronic market was to convince people it was ok to spend ridiculous amounts of money On gadgets.

I can't agree with you more. And it is actually helping all companies involved in electronics, not only Apple alone.

You do realize you've picked the absolute worst thread to make this argument right? "Nobody buys next gen consoles to play crossgen games and PS4 has no exclusives". Yet we're here today with 1 million plus PS4s sold and 9 times out of ten, games like call of duty, battlefield, nba 2k14 and madden will be the best sellers. And then you games like Shadowfall topping the charts.

Something like this would be good for Sony.

Infamous - March
Drive Club - May
The Order - September
Something big announced at E3 - November

I could see that. Hopefully Sony has more exclusives than that though. They need whatever boosts they can get. Heck, even the Destiny beta will help. I'm gonna dread this drought.

Amauri14

Yeah. I am terrible at Excel, as you can see.

But man, this looks like quite an unprecedented success so far.
PS4 beating all other first-month sales within just 24 hours is kind of nuts.

screenshot2013-11-17a34cad.png

Note: This is purely from Shinra-bansho's numbers (US+Canada)

Wow, I knew those numbers were good, but I never thought they were this good.

Congratulations to Sony!

Top Bottom