• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

That's great for them. There's not real point to do a comparison though. The PS4 was able to handle the huge demand really well, is the most we can say about the numbers.

vpance

Unlikely. Xbox isn't that strong in Europe and we know PS4 was ahead on US preorders.

True, but I'm talking shipped. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on production yields here as well. Maybe we'll see a ton of boxes sitting on the shelves then?

It'll be fun to dissect. They should expect to sell through launch day units, so if they quote shipped then questions will be asked. they'll almost certainly not quote NA sales figures because I can't see them matching Sony.

Best case for MS is they state ->1m sold through at launch. Backup plan would be to state >1m shipped. Backup plan to that is shut the fuck up.

Yep, the shoe is on the other foot this time, lol. There's going to be some massaging of unit figures coming from MS.

Delio

The health of the console market is ascertained by the sales of units this gen - 100M+ Wii, 80M+ 360, 80M+ PS3, over 15M in sales for GTA V on two platforms 7 years into the console cycle etc. This launch just reaffirms what many already believe: that this gen is likely to be even bigger than last (sans Wii U, of course).

Wait this gen will be even bigger than last with Just MS/Sony holding it up? I assume Sony would have to be a true powerhouse the entire gen for that ( which i know seems likely) BUT that would mean MS as well will need to be just as strong and lots of people keep predicting they wont do as well.

rahmz

Neo Member
Congratulations to Sony!

The key thing however, is to keep the momentum strong after the initial "burst", which Nintendo failed to do.

Majmun

Makes me wonder if Sony will ship more consoles during Xbox One launch / Black Friday

That's for the next two weeks. Maybe they've hold some stock back? And if so, how much?

Damn, november NPD is going to be legendary.

Omiee

How many consoles should we expect sony to ship to NA this year? 500k or more?

I mean they probably need a lot of units for europe. But they cant afford to not have any units for black friday.

The PS3 and 360 have less retail software than the PS2 because their combined userbase was only slightly larger while the costs were far greater. These costs were from things other than porting as the costs of porting games is fairly low in general though it could be higher with difficult hardware I suppose.

it's also from things like needing two separate teams to work on ports for two radically different hardware platforms for the same game. Do you really think Capcom wouldn't rather make one version of RE5 or 6, rather than have two separate teams making two separate versions for a split userbase? and yes, the PS3 being difficult to work with plays into this a lot. The wiiU likely doesn't have the same issue.

I did not argue PS2 growth being greater than previous eras of growth, I don't understand where you got that notion from my post.

you implied that the PS2 "just happened" to be where all the games were, and it's success was more about timing than hardware capability or strategy. This is a terrible argument. the PS2 when it launched was promoted by sony, the gaming media, and the casual media as the most powerful system ever seen. There were news stories of Saddam wanting to use it to launch missiles. Sheer hype for that system specifically doomed the DC before it even hit shelves, and a large part of that was due to the hardware and it's potential, as well as Sony's brilliant strategy marketing the PS1.

ascii42

The PS3 and 360 have less retail software than the PS2 because their combined userbase was only slightly larger while the costs were far greater. These costs were from things other than porting as the costs of porting games is fairly low in general though it could be higher with difficult hardware I suppose.
Plus the rise of DD games meant that many games that would have been budget priced releases on the PS2 were instead download only.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So Sony had a shitload available (a nice change of pace for a hardware launch) and they still sold through basically all of them? Most impressive.

Radec

04f7f08f8cff85fcc32f93dae6065c70.jpeg

Almighty

Well they deserved it so good news. Sony has been on point pretty much since they announced the PS4. The Ps4 seems pretty solid and once they start getting the games on it I will be a very happy customer.

Omiee

Why is it so hard to manufacture 10 million consoles? I mean apple seems to be able to ship 20+ million phones in a month.

inner-G

Banned
Makes me wonder if Sony will ship more consoles during Xbox One launch / Black Friday

That's for the next two weeks. Maybe they've hold some stock back? And if so, how much?

Damn, november NPD is going to be legendary.
If Xbone sells out at midnight and they can have ample PS4s out the next morning when people come in, it could be a win for them.

What do you think about Xbox One sales?

Will they be similar?

We've been talking about this for many pages here. If I have to make a bold prediction, Xbone will not be able to match PS4 1M launch. It will be fortunate to sell close to 500k in US and it will do 1/3 of that in EU. I will be happy to be proven wrong but making prediction is a fun part of console launch for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I say MS will sell as many units in the US as they can manufacture. But have they indicated how many they can? Probably nowhere close to a million.

Psi

Very impressive. I'm a bit more optimistic about this console generation now.

Microsoft must be shitting power bricks right now.

Plus the rise of DD games meant that many games that would have been budget priced releases on the PS2 were instead download only.

most of those budget titles on the PS3 wouldn't have hit PS2 at all. Simply too costly to have them as full disc releases. There aren't really any games like joe danger, unfinished swan, the walking dead, fat princess, super stardust, etc because they're simply too niche.

the closest you could get is the stuff from the fresh games label (mr. mosquito) or maybe launch era fluff like fantavision.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Joni said:
I'm gonna say TimeSplitters and SSX. I'd look it up for more games, but there is not very surprisingly very little information available.
TTT as well. The thing that stands out more is the fact that most year 1 games were 60fps. This in an era where pc gaming was restricted to running old game benchmarks to get high fps...

Why is it so hard to manufacture 10 million consoles? I mean apple seems to be able to ship 20+ million phones in a month.

I imagine the larger and more complicated the CPU/GPU/Motherboards etc are, the harder it is to manufacture them without errors. the consoles are waaaaay more complicated than something like an iphone 5.

The thing that makes me the most moist, is that the Wii launch was pretty crazy, right? And it doubled that.

The thing that should make you moist is the fact that this is SOLD.

The actual shipped number is likely MUCH higher.

And Sony uses land, sea, AND Air to ship to retailers around the world....EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Let that sink in for a moment.

TTT as well. The thing that stands out more is the fact that most year 1 games were 60fps. This in an era where pc gaming was restricted to running old game benchmarks to get high fps...

Yep. it's so far back that most people don't realize there was an era when new consoles outperformed even top end PCs. the PS2 was really the last time that happened.

The thing that should make you moist is the fact that this is SOLD.

The actual shipped number is likely MUCH higher.

And Sony uses land, sea, AND Air to ship to retailers around the world....EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Let that sink in for a moment.

These are probably also only confirmed preorders. Sony wouldn't really have a good way to get "sold" numbers through any other method. They likely already knew this before the official launch date and were just waiting to make it official. Anyone who ran in and bought one off the floor or lined up likely isn't counted in the million unit figure.

Got to give props to manmademan.

You're efforts to combat people's ignorance of analysts, the markets, and console history have been admirable.

*salutes*

Into

fP2ryVE.png

As I've been saying for a while, launch lineups don't mean a damn thing. They never have, and never will.

Yep. PS2 had a shit launch, one of the worst ive ever seen. And it sold like hot cakes from day one.

There is more to selling consoles than just currently released games. The only decent games were Tekken Tag and later on SSX, otherwise it was lousy Dreamcast ports of games like Code Veronica and Dead or Alive 2, all looked better on the DC as they were rushed ports.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are people taking into account that gamers buy multiple consoles? combining 3 console sales & using that as a measurement of how big the market is completely wrong.
a large amount of consoles was sold to the same people, if PS4 or Xbox One dominated it wouldn't effect publishers because the GAMER userbase hasn't change, gamers would be just buying it for 1 console, not 2
The only people it would effect would the lower selling console maker, the only way it would effect publishers is publishing fees for the lower selling console, is it worth it for them when 90% of sales come from another platform, do they profit enough to support it.

Top Bottom