• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

ICPEE

It is to early to tell lets say the PS4 gets almost all the PS3/Xbox 360 crowd so 150 million but the Xbone and Wii U put up DC numbers. While the PS4 would be successful the market would of shrunk by near 100 million from this generation that is hardly healthy.

The real test of consoles is January-August first 2 years post launch that is where the Wii/PS2 type consoles separated themselves from the rest.
Im confident PS4 will pull PS2 numbers or close to that. They have a shit ton of games in development including indies. Their big studios are yet to release content for the system but the main positive here is that they're nailing this launch aided by just one major studio title in Shadow Fall.

The system sellers are all in the pipe. Gran Turismo is one of them with a huge following in Europe. This is Sony's generation to lose. No disrespect to MS or Xbox, I think they have an amazing machine but i just think Sony has got their message down pat and as always competition is healthy.

Biker19

Banned
The blunders of Nintendo and (especially) Microsoft have helped Sony out nicely. Sony should still be congratulated on doing an immensely better job with designing and launching this console compared to how they did last generation.

Success well earned.

I agree, though Nintendo & Microsoft have been pushing most gamers towards Sony starting back in 2010 with Microsoft with their constant Kinect/Media focus, & Nintendo back in 2011 for not putting in the effort towards supporting the Wii longer.

If Xbox One has huge hardware problems out of the gate like RROD, or if people can't use Xbox One due to them not having internet, it just may push even more people over to Sony & the PS4.

vpance

I think it's 50/50 on whether or not MS will announce any hard numbers, shipped or sold post launch day. If they do, my guess is they'll come out with a 2 million WW shipped figure.

I hope both consoles do well. Adoption rate is paramount, since we'll hopefully see more games greenlit exclusively for next-gen.

Fingers crossed we don't see too many Japanese gems stuck solely on the PS3, akin to persona on PS2 (When the PS3 was out) etc.

Cuyejo

yhPw43F.png

This makes it seem pretty ridiculous.

Holy shit! This is insane!

thuway

microsoft must have shit their pants. They probably don't even have a million preorders yet.

Microsoft will be fine. The moment one console pulls too far ahead, the other will react. It's that game of cat and mouse that will ultimately give us great games.

Rad-

But console gaming is dying, right?
KuGsj.gif

Tbh it's still going to be really hard to reach that 260+ million consoles sold that they did this gen. WiiU has already failed and I doubt it will sell much over 20 million. That leaves 240 million for PS4 and XO combined to even keep up with last gen sales, let alone improve from that.

bombshell

Wasn't the PS2 launch worldwide?

Going to be interesting to see what MS can do to match. Since they are doing a WW launch.

Sony did a brilliant move. PS4 is being talked about everywhere, in 1,000,000 US/Canada homes in a single day, and now they get to restock for the Europe launch and sell a ton there also. Whereas MS will have to split up their stock and I highly doubt they will be able to produce 1,000,000 consoles day 1.

Microsoft is not launching worldwide.

PS4 is launching in almost 4:1 countries this year compared to Xbox One. So far these PS4 numbers account for one country (two if you count Canada separately).

Boke1879

Watch those numbers skyrocket when Europe and Japan enters the next gen. They're going to hit 4 million consoles easy by Feb next year. They're flying out the starting blocks.

Oh no doubt. I was just talking for NA for the month of November alone. When EU gets involved. Things will get interesting. That is Sonys biggest market and it's launching in way more countries than the competition.

If things keep up they'll reach 5 million consoles by next spring easily. Pretty good install base for Infamous Second Son :D

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Also, most places I've been have had plenty of controllers, but sold out of cameras.

Blame Jimmy Fallon. I honestly think that segment sold a lot of people on the PS4 + Camera. Hell I kind of want to get a camera solely to mess around in playroom when my nephews visit.

Futureman

I think part of it is that Apple has convinced us that dropping $500 on a new iPad every 2 years or so isn't such a big deal.... And then people see PS4 for $400 with this gen having just lasted so long.... Well it's a good use of money to the consumer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It was the strongest system at time of release, and SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than PC was capable of at the same point in time. There wasn't a console released in it's league for 18 months afterwards. You'll notice that wasn't true for any launch after that. PC matched the 360 and PS3, and blows away PS4 and Xbone right now.

So what were the PS2 launch window 640x480 60fps games? There were plenty of PCs that beat the PS2 at the time considering it took a year before PS2 games looked even better than dreamcast games. People way over rate the PS2 because of how fondly they remember the era. If it was today how many would be bitching about how it ran most games in substandard resolution.

Delio

1 million is insane. And here I was thinking I could just waltz into a store and snag one. Yeeeeah probably not gonna happen. Now if Japan could get its act together home console wise, we might be able to return to the PS2 glory days.

Probably going to be awhile before Japan really jumps on if at all.

If that story about them holding back units for Black Friday is true then they could possible top 1.5 million in their launch month. Would be pretty incredible.

omonimo

Banned
Im confident PS4 will pull PS2 numbers or close to that. They have a shit ton of games in development including indies. Their big studios are yet to release content for the system but the main positive here is that they're nailing this launch aided by just one major studio title in Shadow Fall.

The system sellers are all in the pipe. Gran Turismo is one of them with a huge following in Europe. This is Sony's generation to lose. No disrespect to MS or Xbox, I think they have an amazing machine but i just think Sony has got their message down pat and as always competition is healthy.

I'm not that sure xbone is an amazing machine, especially for the price.

microsoft must have shit their pants. They probably don't even have a million preorders yet.

Not by a long shot. They said what, they had doubled their 360 pre-orders? The 360 sold like 400K in its first week or something like that. So doubling pre-orders would mean maybe 500K pre-orders at most.

The funny thing about the PS4 launch. There were a ton of people that left empty handed. Our local sports radio show was talking about guys walking home empty handed that were a part of the show lol, along with dozens of others also in line behind.

So the demand is still going to be there for the 2nd wave.

Joco

Been fairly happy with mine so far. Publishers just need to get their shit together now and fix their games (I'm looking at you, EA).

Anth0ny

Wii is US+Canada, PS2 is Japanese launch, rest is NPD

Debut months in US:

ps3 = 196,580
360 = 325,902
ps2 = 391,245
wii = 476,140
ds = 479,695
psp = 620,000
gc = 647,466

Unbelievable that it's smashed the first month for PS2 and Wii IN 24 HOURS. I wonder if stores will be receiving another large shipment for Black Friday? This shit could get silly.

I wonder if Sony's 3M projection is just their production quota for this year? IT's be a solid start for 42 days. If it's not a production quota it may pass the Wii U THIS YEAR! that's crazy.

I think it's a given, especially when you factor in European sales.

Pain

Banned
I think it's 50/50 on whether or not MS will announce any hard numbers, shipped or sold post launch day. If they do, my guess is they'll come out with a 2 million WW shipped figure.
Unlikely. Xbox isn't that strong in Europe and we know PS4 was ahead on US preorders.

Into

Sony could probably have launched in October in NA, with fewer units of course. But perhaps they wanted this milestone, this big news "best selling launch ever", as its positive PR and something they can prance around with for media and investors.

Perhaps Xbox One could sell a million NA in 24 hours too, the bigger question is whether have produced that many. I somewhat doubt it. I am not even sure what number i am expecting from their "worldwide" launch, which is barely NA + select few western European countries.

Sony PR and marketing is pretty smart and sly, they wanted to attach the stigma that PS4 was "4gamers" and win that crowd over, now they want to be known as the "winning" console and set some records. All in order to frame the narrative already that this is the console everyone wants, instead of that other one. If rumors of Xbone yields being problematic, then they will likely get their wanted "winning" tag, if they havent already with this news.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nope.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, business practices nowadays pretty much means no matter HOW well the PS4 does, that level of domination can NEVER be repeated again.
I understand what you are saying but they really don't have any power over that, PS4 or Xbox One's dominance is controlled by us not publishers.
they go where we go regardless of their practices, and Wii U would disagree too, it can happen again.

Finalizer

It was the strongest system at time of release, and SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than PC was capable of at the same point in time. There wasn't a console released in it's league for 18 months afterwards. You'll notice that wasn't true for any launch after that. PC matched the 360 and PS3, and blows away PS4 and Xbone right now.

Dunno if you're talking about some sort of general average PC build for the time, but even at the 360's launch you could build a PC that could top the 360's graphical power with SLI, and just a few months later Crossfire. (Amusingly enough, it would've still been cheaper than to build a PC with a Titan today) To say nothing of the PS3 that launched a year later, under the shadow of the 8800s. I'm also a bit dubious on the PS2 being terribly more powerful than a top-end PC of its time, but I'm really not familiar with that timeline so I can't really say for sure.

So what were the PS2 launch window 640x480 60fps games? There were plenty of PCs that beat the PS2 at the time considering it took a year before PS2 games looked even better than dreamcast games. People way over rate the PS2 because of how fondly they remember the era. If it was today how many would be bitching about how it ran most games in substandard resolution.

There were no PC games on the level of PS2 launch titles at release, and nothing from the DC that came even close to MGS2, FFX, SSX, SH2, or GT3- all 2001 games. And yes, MGS2 runs at 60 FPS. At that point more people were concerned with polygon count rather than resolution, since HDTV hasn't taken off yet in 2000- and most of the HDTVs that existed were rear projection and not something you'd want to be gaming on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many times do you think Sony can restock between now and he end of the year, and how many units? I guess they'll be focusing on the 29th now, but they'll want to restock against Xbox launch I guess? Can they do 1.5m by end of year in NA?

Pachinko

This goes in line with what I expected. Sony Started production up in august and built around a half million units. September they made closer to 750,000. Every last one of those units got shipped to the US/Canada for november 15th but they came by boat so you'd have stuff arriving at sony's distribution by the end of october and then 2 weeks of units trickling out to store shelves. Europe might get the short end of the stick here a bit, I don't think Sony has ramped production up past 750K a month yet. So October for example, the first 500,000 systems built in china made their way to UK/Europe for the Nov.29th launch but the rest of the systems built ? well Gotta have some black Friday stock, as well as a few units to compete directly with MS.

Move along to December shipments and I think you'll have 300-400K shipped to north America and Europe. January will mirror December in terms of shipments and after that 1 of 2 things will happen, should the system still be selling out by the end of January , Sony will most likely attempt to start up another production to bring monthly production up to 1 million systems. The second option is that units manufactured in January and February will be stockpiled , north America and Europe get short shipped for 2-3 months. I'm talking 125,000 shipped consoles a piece for February and march. The reason being, Japanese launch is before the fiscal year end and Sony will try to have as close to a million units ready as possible.

Things get a bit simpler after march though, if the production remains the same you'll see 250K consoles shipped to Asia, Europe and North America for April through September. That first option of ramping production up early next year is very expensive and demand may not stay that high for all of 2014. So easing off shipments for a couple months to set up that Japanese launch is probably just easier.

Sony may activate that extra production line to produce 3 million systems that can ship by christmas 2014. These would be built from Sept. through Nov. Any units manufactured in December wouldn't make it to retail until January 2015 you see. The end result will be the following scenario -

End of 2014 outlook - 13.5 million produced, 12.5 million shipped
US roughly 4.8 million shipped
EU/UK 3.9 million shipped
Asia 3 million shipped

Now obviously , while the produced /shipped totals may stay the same the distribution WILL be based on demand. I feel strongly that each of those 3 major territories can sustain a minimum of 2 million sales at the current price and demand. This to me is like the best case scenario , if sales stay fairly consistent over the next 14 months and xbox under preforms as I expect it will this should all be achievable for sony. Even my lowball estimate is for 10 million produced and 9 million shipped and that scenario would see demand drop dramatically after the holidays to the point that sony produces just 500K a month for some of next yet. Or perhaps a part shortage/ natural disaster slows down production.

This is why I chuckled in another thread when another poster was insistent that the "PS4 won't be sold out until January". I'm thinking it will continue to be hard to find one until the end of March actually. By summer supply and demand will catch up though.

For those "waiting for a price drop" because 400$ for a brand new console is apparently too much money- bad news, they are priced perfectly for what the market is willing to pay and that won't change until sometime in 2015. Much like last gen price drops won't really come in the form of "now 50$ off" so much as adding more value to the 400$ box. On that note, I expect a 1 TB model will be available by next christmas for the same price and the remaining 500GB models will come with 3 months of PS+ and a game or perhaps even the camera tossed in there. The game in question will undoubtedly be knack :p Come 2015 though, just for marketing reasons , Sony may well have a 349.99 model that comes with 500GB hard drive and nothing else.

Where does MS sit in this giant clusterfuck ? I believe they started production a month later then Sony did. I also think they didn't bother to have 3 production lines because their pre-order numbers weren't as high(going by anecdotal evidence and the handful of released figures, they seem to be 50-60% of what sony's demand is) and demand WILL be lower because of the high asking price.

To that end I feel Microsoft, especially if they don't have a price drop next year (they badly need one) will produce only 7 or 8 million consoles and ship 6-7 million of them total by the end of 2014. Demand will likely be just high enough to sell out for 3-4 months in North America but I don't even see a sell out situation occurring anywhere else. This will change slightly if they DO manage a price drop , they'd have to do one by April and it HAS to be 100$. In fact, I'd say a 399.99 Xbox One that comes with TitanFall is the only way they will be able to compete next spring/summer. This will eat into their profits and only push the new CEO further into the "sell off the gaming division" rhetoric. I don't think it will happen but there's a very real chance you won't have a microsoft gaming console in 5 years.

meh

I wonder if the rise in personal electronics (tablets/phones) have skewed our perception of pricing. None of us had $300-600 devices that we considered "essential" prior to any other generational launch, I'm just curious if it messes with our general public perception of price-points.

There's no way to ascertain that just from a day's sales.

I hope you're right in any event.

The health of the console market is ascertained by the sales of units this gen - 100M+ Wii, 80M+ 360, 80M+ PS3, over 15M in sales for GTA V on two platforms 7 years into the console cycle etc. This launch just reaffirms what many already believe: that this gen is likely to be even bigger than last (sans Wii U, of course).

The PS3 and 360 have less retail software than the PS2 because their combined userbase was only slightly larger while the costs were far greater. These costs were from things other than porting as the costs of porting games is fairly low in general though it could be higher with difficult hardware I suppose.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

I did not argue PS2 growth being greater than previous eras of growth, I don't understand where you got that notion from my post. My argument was that the PS2 was a good era due to increased potential for profit because traditional consoles were still taking most of the growth in gaming (compared to now where growth is going to devices other than traditional gaming consoles).

Nope.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, business practices nowadays pretty much means no matter HOW well the PS4 does, that level of domination can NEVER be repeated again.

Yup. It's crazy to think now that Sony had games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear (when both games were huge) and GTA exclusive on PS2.

What does this even mean?

And these sales are likely the result of of the year extra this gen went. There have been so many people I've spoken to who have been waiting for this. And while I don't know about Xbox One, Nintendo should be scared shitless that the PS4 had this kind of start as it means no one gives a shit about Wii U.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It'll be fun to dissect. They should expect to sell through launch day units, so if they quote shipped then questions will be asked. they'll almost certainly not quote NA sales figures because I can't see them matching Sony.

Best case for MS is they state ->1m sold through at launch. Backup plan would be to state >1m shipped. Backup plan to that is shut the fuck up.

oatmeal

Banned
I am curious how many of them are scalpers. On Craigslist here in Vegas, there are 50+ ads for PS4's at varying prices. Some of which have 5+ of them to sell.

Apparently:

Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold
PS2 took 3 days to ship 1 million units,
Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold
Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold
Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold
Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

This is completely crazy.

The only one there I think which could of matched this was the wii if it wasn't for supply constraints.

Hey Liger, welcome back!!

meh

I personally prefer the PS experiences, but I hope Sony doesn't get all cocky like pre-ps3 era, and keeps offering content with true value like PS+.

This goes in line with what I expected. Sony Started production up in august and built around a half million units. September they made closer to 750,000. Every last one of those units got shipped to the US/Canada for november 15th but they came by boat so you'd have stuff arriving at sony's distribution by the end of october and then 2 weeks of units trickling out to store shelves. Europe might get the short end of the stick here a bit, I don't think Sony has ramped production up past 750K a month yet. So October for example, the first 500,000 systems built in china made their way to UK/Europe for the Nov.29th launch but the rest of the systems built ? well Gotta have some black Friday stock, as well as a few units to compete directly with MS.

Move along to December shipments and I think you'll have 300-400K shipped to north America and Europe. January will mirror December in terms of shipments and after that 1 of 2 things will happen, should the system still be selling out by the end of January , Sony will most likely attempt to start up another production to bring monthly production up to 1 million systems. The second option is that units manufactured in January and February will be stockpiled , north America and Europe get short shipped for 2-3 months. I'm talking 125,000 shipped consoles a piece for February and march. The reason being, Japanese launch is before the fiscal year end and Sony will try to have as close to a million units ready as possible.

Things get a bit simpler after march though, if the production remains the same you'll see 250K consoles shipped to Asia, Europe and North America for April through September. That first option of ramping production up early next year is very expensive and demand may not stay that high for all of 2014. So easing off shipments for a couple months to set up that Japanese launch is probably just easier.

Sony may activate that extra production line to produce 3 million systems that can ship by christmas 2014. These would be built from Sept. through Nov. Any units manufactured in December wouldn't make it to retail until January 2015 you see. The end result will be the following scenario -

End of 2014 outlook - 13.5 million produced, 12.5 million shipped
US roughly 4.8 million shipped
EU/UK 3.9 million shipped
Asia 3 million shipped

Now obviously , while the produced /shipped totals may stay the same the distribution WILL be based on demand. I feel strongly that each of those 3 major territories can sustain a minimum of 2 million sales at the current price and demand. This to me is like the best case scenario , if sales stay fairly consistent over the next 14 months and xbox under preforms as I expect it will this should all be achievable for sony. Even my lowball estimate is for 10 million produced and 9 million shipped and that scenario would see demand drop dramatically after the holidays to the point that sony produces just 500K a month for some of next yet. Or perhaps a part shortage/ natural disaster slows down production.

This is why I chuckled in another thread when another poster was insistent that the "PS4 won't be sold out until January". I'm thinking it will continue to be hard to find one until the end of March actually. By summer supply and demand will catch up though.

For those "waiting for a price drop" because 400$ for a brand new console is apparently too much money- bad news, they are priced perfectly for what the market is willing to pay and that won't change until sometime in 2015. Much like last gen price drops won't really come in the form of "now 50$ off" so much as adding more value to the 400$ box. On that note, I expect a 1 TB model will be available by next christmas for the same price and the remaining 500GB models will come with 3 months of PS+ and a game or perhaps even the camera tossed in there. The game in question will undoubtedly be knack :p Come 2015 though, just for marketing reasons , Sony may well have a 349.99 model that comes with 500GB hard drive and nothing else.

Where does MS sit in this giant clusterfuck ? I believe they started production a month later then Sony did. I also think they didn't bother to have 3 production lines because their pre-order numbers weren't as high(going by anecdotal evidence and the handful of released figures, they seem to be 50-60% of what sony's demand is) and demand WILL be lower because of the high asking price.

To that end I feel Microsoft, especially if they don't have a price drop next year (they badly need one) will produce only 7 or 8 million consoles and ship 6-7 million of them total by the end of 2014. Demand will likely be just high enough to sell out for 3-4 months in North America but I don't even see a sell out situation occurring anywhere else. This will change slightly if they DO manage a price drop , they'd have to do one by April and it HAS to be 100$. In fact, I'd say a 399.99 Xbox One that comes with TitanFall is the only way they will be able to compete next spring/summer. This will eat into their profits and only push the new CEO further into the "sell off the gaming division" rhetoric. I don't think it will happen but there's a very real chance you won't have a microsoft gaming console in 5 years.

Nice breakdown.

Top Bottom