• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it took until March to outperform the WiiU. That's longer than I would have thought :)

No way XBone outperformed the WiiU already though (worldwide), I am not even sure it will this year. Depends on the success of MK8 I guess.
It took only 4 months against two direct competitors to surpass what the WiiU sold (mostly) alone on the market in 17 months. Really puts it into perspective.

The problem facing the PS4 this year will be the summer months.

What new games are there to drive sales for those 3 months or so?
PS4 don't need no stinking games to sell.

I am pretty impressed with Amazon's stock situation the past 2 weeks. Haven't seen it out of stock whenever I've checked.

disap.ed

It took only 4 months against two direct competitors to surpass what the WiiU sold (mostly) alone on the market in 17 months. Really puts it into perspective.

Of course I know this but A) it was 1 year (don't know how you get 17 months) and B) they were not alone in the market, there were (much cheaper) PS360s on the market.

When PS4/XBone released WiiU have sold around 3 million units so I give you these, makes probably ~3 millions sold since launch of PS4/Xbone against ~4 million XBones and 6 million PS4s.

Of course it get's its ass kicked by Sony, but MS really isn't so far off. As I said, it will depend especially on MK8 and if it is a bigger system seller than Titanfall.

Rosur

The problem facing the PS4 this year will be the summer months.

What new games are there to drive sales for those 3 months or so?

Trials and watch_dogs at least till June.

That said July and August need some games maybe Dying Light will be out then?
Though reckon most publishers are saving game announcements for E3.

Skeff

Holy hell batman. I'm not used to getting quoted this often

I like this answer the best lol

Watch doggies and GTA port would be my guess until Destiny. I would guess we'll get GTA in Mid July so not much will try and go against it until the big hits roll around like Fifa/destiny/AC/CoD/EAfps2014.

and of course Driveclub will be at some point....

Watch doggies and GTA port would be my guess until Destiny. I would guess we'll get GTA in Mid July so not much will try and go against it until the big hits roll around like Fifa/destiny/AC/CoD/EAfps2014.

and of course Driveclub will be at some point....

GTA Port is the only thing that I can imagine actually coming out in a summer month of much interest. There will be more indie game releases which I love but won't garner the same interest level.

The other interesting point is that the PS4 will have an ok library by that point for a less than one year old console so that might help.

If Sony [and MS for that matter] is smart they will do whatever it takes to get minecraft out on their next gen systems by Summer. I don't think it would sell systems by itself but it would help as a PS4 isn't that much more expensive than the better old gen SKUs

Skeff

GTA Port is the only thing that I can imagine actually coming out in a summer month of much interest. There will be more indie game releases which I love but won't garner the same interest level.

The other interesting point is that the PS4 will have an ok library by that point for a less than one year old console so that might help.

If Sony [and MS for that matter] is smart they will do whatever it takes to get minecraft out on their next gen systems by Summer. I don't think it would sell systems by itself but it would help as it a PS4 isn't that much more expensive than the better old gen SKUs

I literally cannot believe Minecraft isn't out yet, The amount of time a port of that game would take...should have been a multiplat launch title.

Capella

Can't think of a damn thing that's been announced so far, except for maybe the Destiny beta, which I don't will last long.
Since Destiny is like an MMO, I have to imagine that they will be testing for at least a month or two before release. So maybe late june or early July? Maybe they will have an open beta in August to really test the servers before it launches.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Of course I know this but A) it was 1 year (don't know how you get 17 months) and B) they were not alone in the market, there were (much cheaper) PS360s on the market.

When PS4/XBone released WiiU have sold around 3 million units so I give you these, makes probably ~3 millions sold since launch of PS4/Xbone against ~4 million XBones and 6 million PS4s.

Of course it get's its ass kicked by Sony, but MS really isn't so far off. As I said, it will depend especially on MK8 and if it is a bigger system seller than Titanfall.

1. Let's say we count Mar. 2nd as the day we got numbers that PS4 surpassed Wii U. Wii U came out November 2012. March made 16 months since Wii U has been launched. His point stands. As for getting competition from PS3/360, as being the brand new next generation console, the Wii U actually had a decent launch. It was Q1 2013 where is began to fall apart.

As for Mario Kart and Smash Bros., only time will tell, but the recent numbers for several high profile Wii U games doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me. They will see their expected bumps, but ultimately return to the gwave.

It's basically free money, I'd say it's more likely than unlikely.

GTA PS4 port has been confirmed by a leaker on this very site

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=105210692#post105210692

Only question is the release date. Summer makes the most sense to me given how big Fall will be in comparison.

GTAV should release on next gen consoles and hopefully PC this summertime imo.

Sorry, I should clarify I meant summertime release. I thought about asking specific posters why they thought summer was likely but that was going to end up a longer post about the pros/cons of releasing in a crowded holiday quarter. I think it's coming too (eventually).

It's weird how the situation differs across the regions. So in America you seem to still have this mad rush, and in Japan it's selling slower than the Wii U did. Weird to hear of lines to get one in some places when places like JB HiFi and others are routinely and aggressively discounting. You can get inFamous: Second Son for free if you buy one at the moment.

asYDlFb.png

Still selling, of course -- a friend of mine is picking one up tomorrow. A lot of the sweet bundle deals have actually been enough to push a lot of fence-sitters over the edge. But there's no mad panic around getting one. So hearing of lines absolutely blows my mind.

Sorry, I should clarify I meant summertime release. I thought about asking specific posters why they thought summer was likely but that was going to end up a longer post about the pros/cons of releasing in a crowded holiday quarter. I think it's coming too (eventually).

I think we can all agree the GTAV port is a 2014 release so the question is when in 2014

The Holiday quarter this year isn't too crowded but it does have some big releases

XB1: Sunset Overdrive, Halo 2 Ann. [leaked], Forza Horizon 2 [leaked], D4 [Maybe?], Quantum Break [Maybe?. I think 2015 more likely]

PS4: Uncharted [Maybe?. I think 2015 more likely], The Last of US Port [Rumored kind of], The Order 1886 [Maybe this will be summer?], Driveclub [Probably]

Multiplatform: Destiny, Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Unity, COD Black Ops 3 [I think?], Battlefield Bad Company 3 [?]

So a GTAV port could fit into the holiday season but it would be fighting the marketing for all those other games. i just feel a summer release would fit better

It's weird how the situation differs across the regions. So in America you seem to still have this mad rush, and in Japan it's selling slower than the Wii U did. Weird to hear of lines to get one in some places when places like JB HiFi and others are routinely and aggressively discounting. You can get inFamous: Second Son for free if you buy one at the moment.

Still selling, of course -- a friend of mine is picking one up tomorrow. A lot of the sweet bundle deals have actually been enough to push a lot of fence-sitters over the edge. But there's no mad panic around getting one. So hearing of lines absolutely blows my mind.

I miss your avatars :(

Especially the snorlax one. Unless I was crazy and that wasn't you

What's MSRP for the PS4 in New Zealand btw?

DBT85

This is a list of EU launch dates from PushSquare. I have no idea how accurate it is. Do we not have a list like this ourselves?

Code:
26-Mar-14	Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut
26-Mar-14	Fez
02-Apr-14	Mercenary Kings
02-Apr-14	King Oddball
04-Apr-14	Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
14-Apr-14	Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
16-Apr-14	Trials Fusion
30-Apr-14	Child of Light
Apr-14		Daylight
23-May-14	Wolfenstein: The New Order
27-May-14	Watch Dogs
06-Jun-14	Murdered: Soul Suspect
27-Jun-14	Sniper Elite III
Jun-14		The Elder Scrolls Online
29-Aug-14	The Evil Within
09-Sep-14	Destiny
14-Oct-14	Batman: Arkham Knight

2014	Tropico 5
2014	Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark - Ultimate Edition
2014	Evolve
2014	Ready to Run
2014	Assassin's Creed: Unity
2014	Energy Hook
2014	Commander Cherry's Puzzled Journey
2014	The Witness
2014	Anomaly 2
2014	Project Cars
2014	The Golf Club
2014	DriveClub
2014	Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
2014	Cel Damage HD
2014	Hotline Miami

I miss your avatars :(

Especially the snorlax one. Unless I was crazy and that wasn't you

What's MSRP for the PS4 in New Zealand btw?

It was. I should add it back. Love me some Snorlax.

RRP is $649.

That might seem expensive but it was a real shock to a lot of people here in the sense that it was so cheap. I remember paying $1000 for my PS2 and $1200 for my PS3. In fact, I think the original PS launched at $750, making the PS4 the cheapest a PlayStation console has ever launched.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
So a GTAV port could fit into the holiday season but it would be fighting the marketing for all those other games. i just feel a summer release would fit better
A GTA release at peak buying season, even if it's a crossgen port, ain't gonna be fighting anything. Everything else will be fighting it.

Trials and watch_dogs at least till June.

That said July and August need some games maybe Dying Light will be out then?
Though reckon most publishers are saving game announcements for E3.

Evil Within is August as well. And I think some of the smaller titles like Helldivers would be released then.

RPGamer92

Banned
S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.
It's hard to see that considering PS4 has had steady stock throughout the month.

DBT85

S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.

Would you like to have a conversation about why you think that to be the case?

Ric Flair

Banned
Exclusives or just games?

I don't even think the lack of Exclusives over the summer is going to be too big of a deal when you take into consideration the fact they seem to have the better console when it comes to multiplats. I suppose one could make the case that XBone has better/more exclusives over the coming months, though.

It was. I should add it back. Love me some Snorlax.

Yep was a good avatar :)

RRP is $649.

That might seem expensive but it was a real shock to a lot of people here in the sense that it was so cheap. I remember paying $1000 for my PS2 and $1200 for my PS3. In fact, I think the original PS launched at $750, making the PS4 the cheapest a PlayStation console has ever launched.

Huh good it's cheap I guess? I often am surprised how lucky us filthy Americans our with the pricing we get

A GTA release at peak buying season, even if it's a crossgen port, ain't gonna be fighting anything. Everything else will be fighting it.

GTAV has already sold like 33 million copies or something. Market is fairly saturated with the game. While a next gen port will do amazingly well, I don't see the logic of why you would launch the port against a lot of competition if you don't have to personally.

S¡mon;105759956 said:

Is this your feeling on it or are you alluding to insider knowledge on it?

The Holiday quarter this year isn't too crowded but it does have some big releases

XB1: Sunset Overdrive, Halo 2 Ann. [leaked], Forza Horizon 2 [leaked], D4 [Maybe?], Quantum Break [Maybe?. I think 2015 more likely]

PS4: Uncharted [Maybe?. I think 2015 more likely], The Last of US Port [Rumored kind of], The Order 1886 [Maybe this will be summer?], Driveclub [Probably]

Multiplatform: Destiny, Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Unity, COD Black Ops 3 [I think?], Battlefield Bad Company 3 [?]

Evil Within is August as well. And I think some of the smaller titles like Helldivers would be released then.

Also Evolve and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Evolve is "next" gen only and DA:I is cross-gen.

S¡mon

Banned
Are you an insider?

No, I am not.

It's simply what I'm thinking. Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend. Combine that with the launch of Titanfall, a game of which many people believe it is only available on XB1, and they are sure to sell even more XB1s than last month.
Last but not least, the Xbox One has been 'on sale' in a lot of stores. Some stores offer coupons, others simply sell the Xbox One for a lower price. Hell, I even saw a thread here where Amazon was selling the Xbox One with Forza for $399. People jump on that: "wow, it's $100 off, quickly buy it!"
So there it is. Three reasons on why I think Microsoft will do better, much better, than Sony this month.

If we look at Sony, supply is getting slightly better but not much. I think the best Sony can do is slightly better than what they did last month - but that won't be enough to stay ahead of XB1. At least not in March.

I get what you're saying. That said, I don't own an XB1. I do own a PS4.

Is this your feeling on it or are you alluding to insider knowledge on it?
My feeling. See above.

FiggyCal

Banned
S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

It's simply what I'm thinking. Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend. Combine that with the launch of Titanfall, a game of which many people believe it is only available on XB1, and they are sure to sell even more XB1s than last month.

If we look at Sony, supply is getting slightly better but not much. I think the best Sony can do is slightly better than what they did last month - but that won't be enough to stay ahead of XB1. At least not in March.

I've seen a few retail employees that say that the Xbox One bump has already died and that sales are back to normal levels. If PS4 didn't outsell Xbox One in March in North America (which I think it did), then it will outsell it next month.

USC-fan

Banned
S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

They sold so many they had to put a $50 discount on them the next week!

RPGamer92

Banned
S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

I get what you're saying. That said, I don't own an XB1. I do own a PS4.

My feeling. See above.
PS4 has been in stock on Amazon for most of the month and in a lot of Gamestops and other retails as well. Heck I was able to walk into a Gamestop and buy a PS4 off the shelf myself a couple weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom