• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sense

S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.

don't worry multiple retailers are working very hard to make sure you don't get disappointed when the march npd sales roll in. i could have gotten the titanfall bundle for 400$ earlier today but decided not to jump in just so the margin isn't too big between ps4 and xbox one.....

Pop

S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

It's simply what I'm thinking. Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend. Combine that with the launch of Titanfall, a game of which many people believe it is only available on XB1, and they are sure to sell even more XB1s than last month.
Last but not least, the Xbox One has been 'on sale' in a lot of stores. Some stores offer coupons, others simply sell the Xbox One for a lower price. Hell, I even saw a thread here where Amazon was selling the Xbox One with Forza for $399. People jump on that: "wow, it's $100 off, quickly buy it!"
So there it is. Three reasons on why I think Microsoft will do better, much better, than Sony this month.

If we look at Sony, supply is getting slightly better but not much. I think the best Sony can do is slightly better than what they did last month - but that won't be enough to stay ahead of XB1. At least not in March.

I get what you're saying. That said, I don't own an XB1. I do own a PS4.

My feeling. See above.

TitanFall is doing so good they bundled it with every Xbone and dropped the price to $450. If that doesn't beat Sony in March then they will have one rocky ride all the way to fall.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If MS wins the month, it'll have more to do with the sales than Titanfall. I expect it to be as close as December was either way. Slaughter is pure silliness.

FiggyCal

Banned
PS4 has been in stock on Amazon for most of the month and in a lot of Gamestops and other retails as well. Heck I was able to walk into a Gamestop and buy a PS4 off the shelf myself a couple weeks ago.

Stop doing this. Amazon and Gamestop are 2 stores that have PS4's in stock - most stores still don't. And it's also worth noting that the stock hasn't been there for the entire month, but rather relatively recently.

What would even qualify as a slaughter? 2:1? I think that the Xbox One will sell the most, but I don't expect it be by more than 100k or so.

Roshin

S¡mon;105761372 said:
Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend.

Perhaps. My feeling is that if Titanfall did sell a noteworthy number of copies, MS would be very quick to shout it from the rooftops.

If MS wins the month, it'll have more to do with the sales than Titanfall. I expect it to be as close as December was either way. Slaughter is pure silliness.

With all the sales going on for the XBO it'd be pretty embarrassing if they didn't end up beating the PS4 for the month... they're this close to putting a sticker on the boxes that says... BUY ME PLEASE.

Gestault

i could have gotten the titanfall bundle for 400$ earlier today but decided not to jump in just so the margin isn't too big between ps4 and xbox one.

I rationalize my purchases differently than you do. If I missed your sarcasm, my apologies.

Mikey Jr.

S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.

I wouldn't go so far as to say slaughtered, but I think Xbone will definitely beat PS4.

Say what you will about Titanfall, that game was marketed to high hell.

Couple that with the $50 on the TF bundle, and yeah.

Blearth

Banned
xug8CuX.gif

Holy shit this is amazing

Biker19

Banned
Perhaps. My feeling is that if Titanfall did sell a noteworthy number of copies, MS would be very quick to shout it from the rooftops.

This. It's now been two weeks since the game was released for this system, & not one peep has come from either EA or Microsoft about it.

A_Gorilla

Banned
This. It's now been two weeks since the game was released for this system, & not one peep has come from either EA or Microsoft about it.

In fairness, they could be waiting till the end of March, which is also the end of Q1, before they start with the chest-thumping.

It feels like every time I sit down at my laptop there's another Xbone price cut happening somewhere the past few weeks.

They are clearly desperately invested in Titanfall, unsurprisingly.

I'd be shocked if Xbone couldn't manage more sales than PS4 this month... in the US at least.

In fairness, they could be waiting till the end of March, which is also the end of Q1, before they start with the chest-thumping.

Originally posted by A_Gorilla

It's weird the stuff that makes you laugh on here sometimes.

DBT85

That is, to be fair, very out of character.

Almost like suggesting Ferrari wait until they have actually lost the F1 Championship before crying about the reasons why.

Mrbob

The problem facing the PS4 this year will be the summer months.

What new games are there to drive sales for those 3 months or so?

Sales slow down in the summer anyway. MLB The Show and Watch Dogs will help in May though.

Sony needs to start accumulating warehouse stock for the fall and holiday. There are only going to be two months this year where PS4 sales have the potential to start slowing down big time, and that is in June and July. Then the uptick happens again already in August leading into the holiday. Sony has to make sure there is enough stock at stores so they don't sell out in November and December. Let all the people who want to get a PS4 find one.

Even if the XB1 wins March, it won't be by enough to turn the tide against the PS4 IMO. If it was, we'd know by now.

The more interesting number is the weekly sales for PS4. Will they be up or down in March. In January and February the PS4 averaged roughly 70K per week in sales. If this trend continues in March then we are looking at a 350K month. So if the PS4 continues selling at the same pace no matter what XB1 does then it is looking more like a trend and the XB1 had zero impact of PS4 hardware sales.

S¡mon;105759956 said:

Sony were 300k ahead, LTD, by February, if i'm not mistaken.
I think the PS4 will be outsold, but i think it might still not be enough for the X1 to be #1 LTD, because there's no way the PS4 doesn't sell quite a few units, with MGS and Infamous this month.

rothbart

Id be absolutely shocked if ms doesn't win march with all the price drop sales. MS isin desperation mode.

I think they will (PS4 owner here) but it won't be any sort of a slam-dunk "shit is changing" win, it will be a "we did it" and likely in not too short of time it'll be a "remember win MS outsold Sony?"

At the end of the day, even if MS sold ONE MILLION more XBOnes in March than Sony sold PS4s, Sony's lead (and more importantly, the rate at which they have been and still are selling PS4s) won't be made irrelevant because of March 2014.

It's weird how the situation differs across the regions. So in America you seem to still have this mad rush, and in Japan it's selling slower than the Wii U did. Weird to hear of lines to get one in some places when places like JB HiFi and others are routinely and aggressively discounting. You can get inFamous: Second Son for free if you buy one at the moment.

asYDlFb.png

Still selling, of course -- a friend of mine is picking one up tomorrow. A lot of the sweet bundle deals have actually been enough to push a lot of fence-sitters over the edge. But there's no mad panic around getting one. So hearing of lines absolutely blows my mind.

That offer and similar have been around for a few weeks now, Mighty Ape have been selling the PS4 at $599 (or pay another $50 to get a game bundled).

It might be to do with a price adjustment for a stronger NZ dollar, as new games seem to be getting cheaper as well(InFamous was surprisingly $79 pretty much everywhere on release day). Or could just be due to Microsoft's xbone price drop/bundling.

I'm wondering whether we got a large(by NZ standards!) shipment, but future shipments will be much less frequent than other countries(like UK etc). So it'll stay in stock for a while, but when they're gone, we won't see any again for a month or so.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So it took until March to outperform the WiiU. That's longer than I would have thought :)

No way XBone outperformed the WiiU already though (worldwide), I am not even sure it will this year. Depends on the success of MK8 I guess.

No, it took till March to outsell what the Wii U SHIPPED.

Wait, which console are you talking about in the first sentence?

beast786

Xb1 was almost at ps4 level last month without big discounts, bundle and passive price drop . Add TF launch.

it's guaranteed XB1 dominant this month . But so did MGS4.

I can't make threads yet (and probably not thread worthy) so I'll ask in here.

Whatever happened to the BIG AMAZING FRONT COVER OF A SIGNIFICANT FRANCHISE YEAH MEGA BOOM

that I think OPM were going on about last month? It was supposed to release this month. Has this months edition been released yet?

Capella

Whatever happened to the BIG AMAZING FRONT COVER OF A SIGNIFICANT FRANCHISE YEAH MEGA BOOM

that I think OPM were going on about last month? It was supposed to release this month. Has this months edition been released yet?

It was Batman.

Guymelef

Batman.

beast786

Batman

It was the Batman game.

DBT85

Xb1 was almost at ps4 level last month without big discounts, bundle and passive price drop . Add TF launch.

it's guaranteed XB1 dominant this month . But so did MGS4.

Without knowing how much better the stock for PS4 is this month and then trying to factor in Infamous and MGS, its very difficult for me to grasp how anyone can say either machine will be dominant, or will crush, or will destroy etc.

It might be to do with a price adjustment for a stronger NZ dollar, as new games seem to be getting cheaper as well(InFamous was surprisingly $79 pretty much everywhere on release day). Or could just be due to Microsoft's xbone price drop/bundling.

The Warehouse was the first to do that, I think. I wonder if they are taking the approach that the UK supermarkets do and are using them as a loss-leader. I know that the missus always complains that we go in to the Warewhare with the intention to buy one thing and walk out with a whole crapload of stuff. I know JB originally had it listed at $98, but dropped it immediately on launch day to $78 to compete.

The joys of competition. :3

beast786

Umm you do know the Ps4 has much better stock this month correct?

Without knowing how much better the stock for PS4 is this month and then trying to factor in Infamous and MGS, its very difficult for me to grasp how anyone can say either machine will be dominant, or will crush, or will destroy etc.

I know the stock situation . but the big discounts and TF FPS in USA a is by far the bigger stimulant. MS has been in desperate mode. There whole strategy was based on dominating US.

DBT85

I know the stock situation . but the big discounts and TF FPS in USA a is by far the bigger stimulant. MS has been in desperate mode. There whole strategy was based on dominating US.

That still doesn't cover "dominant". PS4 won last month with barely any stock. This month both should get a huge bump, Xbox because of Titanfall and the discounts, and PS4 because they put stock out, Infamous and MGS. I really cannot see a huge discrepancy between them.

The only advantage MS has is that they have Xbone stock laying around ready to sell where Sony can only ship so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom