• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

And like i said before, I am getting stuttering on DS3's beginning cutscene when installed on the external whereas i dont when installed in the internal. I think its probably caused by the same thing.

I know I'm not the only one. I was able to stop the audio skipping on HZD by moving it to the internal storage.

I'm using a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus and it's 2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoints inside. All the games runs great, it's just the cutscenes in Hitman, the audio skipping in Horizon and a slowdown in The Show 2016 when batters make their way to the plate.

I'm moving Horizon to the system storage to see if that clears up the issue.
Wait, it's two separate disks? Is this a RAID enclosure? Do the two drives appear as one logical drive?

Ahasverus

I've been using my external hdd without issue since the beta started but today after turning my system on it said the external had an issue and needed to be repaired, informing me to use "stop using external storage" before disconnecting the external hdd. I didn't unplug it at all. What's going on?
Welp this is disappointing.

holygeesus

Banned
I know I'm not the only one. I was able to stop the audio skipping on HZD by moving it to the internal storage.

I get occasional jittering on Resident Evil 7 too but I don't know if it is the game or my external SSD. I might have to move it to the internal to test. Pretty disappointing if it is the case, as we won't be able to actually use external storage as anything else than a dumping ground for games, that will always have to be moved to the internal before playing.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I use a WD Elements 2TB. I've seen some little stuttering at the beginning intro in Just Cause 3. I can try to move it back to the internal SSHD and see if it also happens over there. Going to install Horizon today internal and look how it runs, and then move it to external and do a little benchmarking.

Abylim

I pm'd the guy but no ones gotten back to me about hooking me up with the beta burner

Anyone able to? Wanna test out ff14

holygeesus

Banned
OK I moved RE7 back to the internal SSHD and the jittering seems to be gone, but the load times are horrendous compared to an external SSD so I might live with it until I get a larger internal SSD at a later date. Does seem odd that external drives should have this jittering though.

Theonik

OK I moved RE7 back to the internal SSHD and the jittering seems to be gone, but the load times are horrendous compared to an external SSD so I might live with it until I get a larger internal SSD at a later date. Does seem odd that external drives should have this jittering though.
Is this a standard PS4 or a Pro?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was just going to use external as a safe to store all my games.
I'm guessing playing off the internal SSD would be faster than external HDD correct? The USB 3.0 isn't doing some magic?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the external drive functionality strictly for actual USB hard drives, or can USB SD adapters be used? I plugged my adapter in and it recognized it but couldn't do anything with it.

holygeesus

Banned
Is this a standard PS4 or a Pro?

Pro.

I just tried again and got some jitters with the internal drive anyway. I guess it's just pushing the Pro to it's limits when playing with the pro patch.

Loading speeds are a world apart - that first load in RE7 with an internal SSHD is nigh on a minute whereas an external SSD (in enclosure) at least half that.

zewone

I'm guessing playing off the internal SSD would be faster than external HDD correct? The USB 3.0 isn't doing some magic?

Internal SSD will be the fastest option.

That's the set up I'm using now. 500GB SSD with my old 2TB being used as an external.

c0de

If you use the ssd in both cases, there won't be much difference as the internal drive is also connected to usb. Funny it should be faster on the external as the os also has a certain bandwidth and access load on the internal drive.

8bitogre

Banned
I'm dumb.

I went out and got a Pro looking forward to boost mode on some of my older games and realized that 4.50 wasn't out yet.

cozomel

Is the external drive functionality strictly for actual USB hard drives, or can USB SD adapters be used? I plugged my adapter in and it recognized it but couldn't do anything with it.

The drive has to be a minimum of 250GB, which i hope they'll lower to at least 128GB. So if you're USB drive is less than that then thats why. And how would you get a SD adapter to work?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The drive has to be a minimum of 250GB, which i hope they'll lower to at least 128GB. So if you're USB drive is less than that then thats why. And how would you get a SD adapter to work?
Mine is a USB to SD slot adapter. 250 is too rich for me though so I guess that's not happening.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i've grown used to it but like between notifications/uploads/downloads there are different number of rows per page, different sized font, and different sized tiles/images for the tiles...

Wait, it's two separate disks? Is this a RAID enclosure? Do the two drives appear as one logical drive?

I don't speak tech but I do believe that's it's 2 Samsung 2TB spinpoint drives inside the enclosure. I know someone pried it open and I saw pics of it in the Amazon comments section.

Ok I have narrowed down the issue with the Headset issues with update 4.50

Basically, if you're using an OG PS4, and have a USB HDD plugged into one of the USB ports, its starving the wireless headset dongle for power and GREATLY reduces the range of the headset itself. I'm only about 8 feet away and if I move ever so slightly i get constant outages every few seconds.

If I remove the HDD, everything is back to normal and I get range up to 20 feet away.

This should not be a problem for the Pro however. If you plug the HDD into the back USB it shouldnt starve the dongle of power, as the rear USB runs on its own power separate from the front.

Basically, if you're using an OG PS4, and have a USB HDD plugged into one of the USB ports, its starving the wireless headset dongle for power and GREATLY reduces the range of the headset itself. I'm only about 8 feet away and if I move ever so slightly i get constant outages every few seconds.

If I remove the HDD, everything is back to normal and I get range up to 20 feet away.

This should not be a problem for the Pro however. If you plug the HDD into the back USB it shouldnt starve the dongle of power, as the rear USB runs on its own power separate from the front.

This sounds like something I was a bit afraid of. The USB 3.0 standard has known interference with RF signals when other devices are using it. The amount of interference varies by devices and the plug shielding, but there's not a truly fool-proof way to prevent it entirely. USB 3.1 apparently fixes it, though. It's rather bad with USB drives, in fact, because they use more power, thus causing more interference.

I'd be curious to know if using a powered hub for the HDD and using the other PS4 port for the headset dongle would alleviate this in any way. The data transfer is still there so there would still be some interference, but the power draw wouldn't be the same since the hub would be providing the power to the drive.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Man do I love 4.50.

Got a 480GB SSD installed as my main drive and an external 4TB. Thin configuration has been a god send for Witcher 3. The performance is so much better AND most importantly it has shortened the load times by quite a bit.

So is the skipping and juttering on external HDD issue overblown or is this a real concern? I'm just waiting to buy an external HDD when/if there is a general consensius on this issue/non-issue.

clintar

Wonder if this is why I'm seeing much less range and increased interference with my controllers, too. More interference meaning if I have my leg in between the controller and the ps4, it'll stop working and even turn itself off after a few seconds. I know I used to have more range than I do now. I'll have to test that without a drive plugged in, or use a drive with it's own power

Top Bottom