• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

psychotron

I suppose this is a PS Vita feature, but you can now disable the overlays that appear when you use the touchscreen and back panel with remote play!

bazOWs7l.jpg

Megaton for me. My stupid fingers always hit the touchpad and that overlay pops up. This will make remote play much more enjoyable.

AwRy108

I don't but it should be a pretty big difference.

USB 2.0 = max 480 megabits/sec
USB 3.0 = max 5 gigabits/sec

Those are theoretical maximums that you never reach IRL but 3.0 should be roughly 8-9x faster in almost any case.

Yeah, I get the speed differences between 2.0 and 3.0; but my concern is that the transfers are being slowed down by some type encoding/decoding at the system level that occur before the chunks of data are being transferred.

Proof of improved transfer speeds via USB 3.0 would be nice.

Oppo

Yeah, I get the speed differences between 2.0 and 3.0; but my concern is that the transfers are being slowed down by some type encoding/decoding at the system level that occur before the chunks of data are being transferred.

Proof of improved transfer speeds via USB 3.0 would be nice.

Well the PS4 has a hardware codec for H.264, so there shouldn't be a difference there. The files are 'rendered' already, it's just a straight transfer. If anything uploading to an online service (FB) would take extra time due to the end point transcoding.

SkylineRKR

Either coincidence, or this update destroyed my FFXIV. Game doesn't work anymore, no matter what. Reinstall disc, PSN launcher... nothing works. But hey, there is a Dim feature!

Time to play something else, heh.

Yeesh. Thankfully the HDCP stuff means nothing to me, but Gerstmann's made a mockery of it on Twitter. Having to toggle it on and off is just straight up dumb.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It does. My friends told me my mic was too low. This helped a lot. Now they hear me clearly.

Well I was using it with my pulse elite plugged in. Im assuming it will either way.

nice. i have the skull candy plyr1s. when i use them wirelessly the mic is a lot lower in volume than when i have it plugged into the ds4. hopefully this will help with the low wireless mic volume.

Russell

I was so happy do discover that Deep Color is now supported. It's exactly what I had hoped for. Prior to this update, my 9.5G Pioneer Kuro would show "24 bit." Now with Deep Color set to Automatic, my display now shows "36 bit." I can't wait until later on tonight, when it gets dark, so that I can study the improvement in image quality. I'm looking forward to noticing smoother gradations of color.

Wilester

Yeesh. Thankfully the HDCP stuff means nothing to me, but Gerstmann's made a mockery of it on Twitter. Having to toggle it on and off is just straight up dumb.

Jeff's spot on with the development team not understanding use cases. DO they not think about how people actually use their game consoles. It infuriates me. It shouldn't but it does.

Tsundere

Banned
Jeff's spot on with the development team not understanding use cases. DO they not think about how people actually use their game consoles. It infuriates me. It shouldn't but it does.

The vast majority of users aren't affected by the HDCP toggle, I'm sure they know that.

I had to start my PS4 in safe mode after the 1.7 update and change the resolution to 480 to get a signal through my HDMI. If I don't do this my TV doesn't register a signal from the PS4. I've had no problems prior to the update with the HDMI signal. Anyone else have this issue?

Ferr986

I just tried stanby mode after the patch. The console made a beep when entering standby and the led flashed orange a good while.
Second try it was like always , no beep and no flashing orange. Weird....

I had to start my PS4 in safe mode after the 1.7 update and change the resolution to 480 to get a signal through my HDMI. If I don't do this my TV doesn't register a signal from the PS4. I've had no problems prior to the update with the HDMI signal. Anyone else have this issue?

After the 1.70 update today I was getting terrible screen flickering >1/second. My display was going haywire. I went to Settings>Sound and Screen>Video Output Settings>Deep Color Output. The setting for deep color output was set to Automatic. Setting it to Off immediately solved my issue. You may want to give this a try.

Cess007

I'm still having issues with my headset disconnecting my PS4 to the router.

What? That still happens? Dammit Sony, i was hoping you finally fixed that. I stopped using my headset 'cause it keep disconnecting me too. I think i better sell my headset and buy some wired ones :/

After the 1.70 update today I was getting terrible screen flickering >1/second. My display was going haywire. I went to Settings>Sound and Screen>Video Output Settings>Deep Color Output. The setting for deep color output was set to Automatic. Setting it to Off immediately solved my issue. You may want to give this a try.

Thanks so much for the quick response! That completely fixed my problem.

So, I think the problem with the "automatic video capturing" is that it's not really automatic, at least not in the way it's worded in the manual. Try this next time you play. Start up Killzone. Press the share button. Play what you want to play...when there's something in the last 15 minutes or less that you want recorded, press Share again. Check your capture and it should be good. If you want to have the option of capturing again, press share again and start playing again.

The instructions for using share for video are really really poor.

there are conflicting reports of the bug being fixed and not being fixed so far. I did a quick test last night of 25mins in BF4 and it saved the proper footage with only one click. this was the first time since launch that it worked properly for me.

I also discovered that if you change inputs on the TV the recording will stop, changing back to the PS4 input will re-start the recording buffer over again.

Anyone else have the weird glitch where if you go to the Share menu and click on Upload Video Clip, it jumps into the list, and then a game from that list straight away without another button press?

I have to back out one level just to get to the list again.

And why the hell does it save a screenshot everytime I open up the Share Menu and click on Upload Screenshot?

Loads of screenshots of the OS in there from me opening it each time.

Anyone else have the weird glitch where if you go to the Share menu and click on Upload Video Clip, it jumps into the list, and then a game from that list straight away without another button press?

I have to back out one level just to get to the list again.

I thought it automatically went into the folder of whatever you're currently playing?

RedAssedApe

Banned
there are conflicting reports of the bug being fixed and not being fixed so far. I did a quick test last night of 25mins in BF4 and it saved the proper footage with only one click. this was the first time since launch that it worked properly for me.

I also discovered that if you change inputs on the TV the recording will stop, changing back to the PS4 input will re-start the recording buffer over again.

it was like that pre-1.70 too though. sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. hopefully its at least been minimized. :\

i've set my shares to 3 minutes. gonna rage if it happens lol

macewank

Automatic updates still require you to turn on the system, correct? It won't update the firmware automatically yet, will it?

That is correct. You probably won't ever see a full automatic update implementation because of the risks associated with doing so. If something went awry and it bricked your system while you were AFK that would end up very bad for them.

ethomaz

Banned
Automatic updates still require you to turn on the system, correct? It won't update the firmware automatically yet, will it?
Automatic updates are for games... they will never do that with firmware due security.

But when I wake up today the firmware was already downloaded and ready to install ;)

Nope, sat on the OS and clicked it.
Went into Infamous and I havent played that in ages.

Last game I played was BF4.
When you download or update a game it bring it to front... that's how I know it installed a patch tonight.

FeiRR

Banned
What? That still happens? Dammit Sony, i was hoping you finally fixed that. I stopped using my headset 'cause it keep disconnecting me too. I think i better sell my headset and buy some wired ones :/

Sony cannot defy laws of physics. If you get inteference on that channel, you should switch your router to a different one. Also check other wireless devices like mouse and keyboard.

Automatic updates are for games... they will never do that with firmware due security.

But when I wake up today the firmware was already downloaded and ready to install ;)

When you download or update a game it bring it to front... that's how I know it installed a patch tonight.

Oh no, I'm referring to the Share Menu.
When I hold down on the Share button it brings up the two options to upload video clip or photo.
When you click on the Video section, it loads your list of games and then dives into a random game. In my case, Infamous.

You seem to overreact a lot to relatively minor issues. Must be exhausting.

It's not exhausting at all calling dumb stuff dumb. If calling stuff dumb is overreacting to you, you've got a pretty low threshold for using that word.

Also, you should tweet Gerstmann to let him know you don't like his complaining too.

Does it not save that you turned it off or something? I'm unaware of the issue.

It has to be manually turned on and off.

For example, you want to record PS4 gameplay. You turn off HDCP. You finish playing the game and load up Netflix, but it pops up a message saying "go turn HDCP to use this app".

The voice commands for the apps are a good sign.
E.g. Vidzone is located in that TV&Video folder, but saying "Vidzone" in the main menu will still take to it (opens the "folder")

So once we get folders etc., searching for a game via voice command should still be possible.

btw saying "internet" will take you to the PS4 internet browser, if it was mentioned yet.

Raptor

It has to be manually turned on and off.

For example, you want to record PS4 gameplay. You turn off HDCP. You finish playing the game and load up Netflix, but it pops up a message saying "go turn HDCP to use this app".

WIll keep it ON always in that case then, shoul dbe automatic I think no?

Thsi makes no sense to be honest.

Top Bottom