• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

If you only render 2 models and a half room it should be clear, that you can really stretch out the limit - but i don't think that a complete game, in which the cpu+gpu have more to do than just render a few graphics, will look anything like that in the next years.

so for me the division demo was quite more impressive, cause it wasnt just a techdemo

Some scenarios that I played out in my head of how they could have made The Dark Sorcerer into a game:

- The Dark Sorcerer begins with the scene in the tech demo, a film shoot about a dark wizard summoning a demon. Turns out they performed an actual summon of the real devil himself and now it's up to the Old Man to save the world. Game-type is sort of an open-world Zelda adventure game.

- Take all that tech and have Terry Pratchett write the story for a new adventure RPG set in the Discworld universe.

:(
Open world zelda games? If dark sorcerer is a game, Id rather have straight forward point and click adventure ala longest journey

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pumping all GPU budget into characters isnt really good optimization solution.
We've seen many other environments from the game that looked really nice. I also think HR had some of the best environments of any game - I know, small locations and all, but still.
Snow in Beyond looks pretty great IMO, very nice looking and novel technique. It's not just some 2D texture as what you suggested.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The games won't even look 1/10th as good. This is typical cutscene foolery.

The PS4 is a pile of poop compared to a modern PC.

1) QD have shown they can deliver their demo level graphics in games later in the generation.

2) this should make you damn excited for the PC. Gaming PCs will outspec PS4 pretty quickly, so imagine how good PC games will look in a few years.

Ploid 3.0

I kept skipping this video, but now after seeing the whole thing I'm happy I did. It was entertaining and funny hah. I can't wait for QD's PS4 games, did sony buy these guys yet? I guess they probably won't go anywhere else unless MS starts wanting some QD games if Beyond is a big hit.

sTeLioSco

Banned

show me a 400$ pc that can run killzone shadowfall/infamous.

ps4 its a technical marvel.Also check beyond gameplay on ps3. on ps4 quantic dream will surprise alot of ppl.....

when you say a modern pc i think you mean expensive pc with titans that can enable higher setting on multiplatform games.

hesido

People calling this waste of money:
This is a technical showcase that defines what their game will shoot for. Having a reasonable target is very important for production. The solutions to problems that they solved trying to achieve this demo will aid in developing the actual game, unless they fire considerable amount of people from QD, their experience will perfectly translate to the game.

People thinking this quality won't make it to actual games:
QD's track record says otherwise. They delivered similar or better IQ to their tech showcases with bigger sets and more objects. Cherry picking 5 second scenes in a 10 hour game won't help your case.

People thinking PS4 is a pile of poop compared to PC's because teh PC tech teraflops gigawatts:
If you look at this realtime footage and still say this, reason may have flown out of the window and I'll gladly let you enjoy Nvidia's faceworks talking head, which is very inefficient IMHO (it is supposed to use 2 teraflops for rendering the head)

I had more fun with Kara, but this is simply amazing, a lot of people make fun of David Cage when he showed the head of this guy some months ago, who is making fun of him now?.

I really enjoyed Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain despite some story flaws but this and with the Beyond's last trailer, i really dont get what the fuck is David Cage doing... I wonder if all those people criticizing Heavy Rain was feeling like as i do now.
Quantic Dream has 2 teams now. This is a direct result of that. They are already working on their PS4 project and this is the technology demo for it. They hope to achieve this kind of visuals or even better.

Beyond is still on track and worked on by the main team. The latest trailer you saw features a single scene out of the entire game, which is supposed to be around 10-12 hours long. She is trained and used by the government here to take down a terrorist, since she has supernatural abilities and her ghost. She leaves the CIA later and is even on the run for "treason" apparently. Cage likes to make his games unique. That means each scene features a different location or country and a different time period of her life. The game spans 15 years of her life. The things you see in this trailer are only present in this 30 minute scene and never happen again.

Love how they keep cutting back and forth from the stage to the green screen, just to show off how they are capable of streaming high quality assets without problems.
Lol you are right, didn't even consider this. Pretty cool.

What is this wizardry? I need a source other than Youtube, shitty compression and all that.
Still waiting for GamerSyde :/

nasos_333

Actually graphics get better than what developers manage at launch, so i would expect them to look much better by the time they make an actual game out of it

And this is confirmed real time, no foolery there besides the fixed camera perhaps and lack of AI, which would have a minor effect on the graphics, if any at all given PS4 is not a PC, but a super efficicient system with 8GB of fast unified ram, that no PC on the planet has right now

And that is before it gets some years of optimization, that will enable them to destroy those demo graphics by miles in actual games

McLovin

Those visuals are insane! The hair flapping in the wind felt off though tbh. Everything else looked cg. Really impressive.

Evolution of Quantic Dream's technology since 2006:

2006 ("The Casting" Tech Demo on PS3)
12ach6.png

2r6in6.png

2010 (Heavy Rain Game on PS3)

2011 ("Kara" Tech Demo on PS3)

2013 (Beyond Game on PS3)

2013 ("Old Man" Tech Demo on PS4)

2013 ("The Dark Sorcerer" Tech Demo on PS4; YouTube compressed footage)

2014/2015/2016 (???)

Click to enlarge. No bullshots. All direct feed (except for Sorcerer atm) and realtime.

Erasus

Ok, now I see what people mean about coding to the metal beating PC's. This looks insane. Albeit its not gameplay, but still, this is insane.

And this is a first demo!

Compare the PS3 tech demos to GoW3, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3 and The Last Of Us.

Binabik15

I had no idea what I was watching once it cut to green screen during the press conference, but I thought it was funny.

The old man somehow reminds me of Molyneux, maybe the area around the eyes? I don't know, they don't look the same, but he still reminds me of him.

Zen

Banned
Way to miss the point entirely. But hey, wouldn't expect any more of you.

Also good job capturing a frame on what's like a 1 second scene to prove a silly point. We've seen gameplay already, environments are fine.

Hell some of the environments look jaw dropping.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally watched the whole thing. Very impressive work. The character modelling is insane, the rendering beautiful. Definitely up with the best 'next-gen' tech demos, maybe the best, on the modelling front anyway.

Still a bit of a disconnect for me sometimes between what a character is saying, how they're saying it, and how a face is behaving. I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean, it's always the way with me for videogames and it's getting better, but still not perfect.

But anyway, really promising stuff.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't shake off the feeling that the sorcerer is Peter Molyneux.

I actually loved the writing in this, it was almost like a Pixar pre-movie short, who knew Cage could write something so charming?

He should do something more light-hearted on PS4

Yasir

If you only render 2 models and a half room it should be clear, that you can really stretch out the limit - but i don't think that a complete game, in which the cpu+gpu have more to do than just render a few graphics, will look anything like that in the next years.

so for me the division demo was quite more impressive, cause it wasnt just a techdemo

Beyond looks fantastic on 7 year old hardware. I have no doubt QD will make a game for PS4 that will match if not surpass this tech demo.

Quantic Dream did an extended stage demo of Beyond at Sonys main stage in their booth. It looked amazing graphically. At first I though it was next gen. I was waiting in line to play Drive club while I watched it. When I finally got to play Drive club, they transitioned to this demo on the Sony stage. Wish I could have seen it live, Ill have to head back tomorrow. Does anybody have a Sony stage schedule? Did anyone see the stage demo?

Dear Quantic Dream,

Please consider releasing your tech demos to the public on the hardware it was produced for so that we can enjoy the realtime demonstrations in realtime.

I would love for one of the first things I fire up on my PS4 to be the "Dark Sorcerer" demo for a glimpse of the future before I jump into those launch games. "The Casting" and "Kara" are equally compelling productions that I very much would love to have on my PS3 hard drive. Killzone 2's "Bullet" PS3 realtime commercial was a clinic in game engine technology, a real feather in the cap for Guerrilla Games that I give kudos for, now and forever. Quantic Dream's demo productions would be equally compelling. Being able to examine how lighting and effects (assuming toggles are available to remix effects) are implemented in the engine would be quite instructive and entertaining. And sure, we should all keep in mind that these are tech demos, not games, and we're all primarily interested in what you do with this technology in a real, playable game. But our interests vary and our curiosity is boundless - be us game developers or tech enthusiasts or just hype-minded game fans, those who would download your realtime demonstrations would cherish the opportunities to see these demos as they were meant to be seen... not in video form recorded and compressed and streamed to a PC, but live, running on the gaming hardware that your team worked so hard to pull such a performance out of in realtime.

Thank you.
Damn, that would be a fine idea.
Basically be like PC benchmark apps such as 3dmark, but purely for showing off.

Now THIS is next gen.

Still, it's only a tech demo. I don't expect in-game graphics to look like this until the end of this generation, if then.

Yeah, that's what I'm feeling. But to KNOW that this level of quality can be pushed on the hardware makes me VERY excited to see what games we'll be getting in 2-3 years time.

IcyEyes

I don't understand why so many people quote this guy ...
He wrote a simple "opinion" in a very rude way, but got a lot of attention ...

Anyway, this is a lot nicer to read and no one quoted him :

Saw this in real time at a small room demo at the Sony booth today. The guy giving the demo flew around the set, zoomed in, showed the wireframe,etc.

Simply mind boggling. Best real time graphics I've ever seen.

Well, thanks for the nice info :)

SelfCon

I'm a fan of Cage's previous work, but this is really the best thing he's ever done.

Really impressed by this being a realtime demo. I'm also loving Cole as the troll. So Awesome.

Same goes for Agnis Philosophy demo, i wish this turned to an actual FF game

Don't give up hope.

S-E took a poll from FF fans regarding if the style/characters in Agni's Philosophy would be interesting to them for a future FF.
The result, to my knowledge, was overwhelmingly positive.

My gf walked in while I was watching this, and she thought it was a movie with real people.

I couldn't be more excited for their first game on the Ps4.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anyway, this is a lot nicer to read and no one quoted him :

Well, thanks for the nice info :)
Jet is a dev too, as far as I remember.

Quantic Dream did an extended stage demo of Beyond at Sonys main stage in their booth. It looked amazing graphically. At first I though it was next gen. I was waiting in line to play Drive club while I watched it. When I finally got to play Drive club, they transitioned to this demo on the Sony stage. Wish I could have seen it live, Ill have to head back tomorrow. Does anybody have a Sony stage schedule? Did anyone see the stage demo?
I know it's not the place, but would you mind posting some impressions of DriveClub. I'm surprised that for a game that's playable on the showfloor, noone here commented what was it like to play it?

Violater

My gf walked in while I was watching this, and she thought it was a movie with real people.

I couldn't be more excited for their first game on the Ps4.

Stealth brag.
:p

I would love some of this tech to bleed over into the other first party titles, right now Infamous could use it, especially the skin shader. I assume it would be too late for Killzone, especially since everyone is wearing masks, but those NPC's from the February reveal looked bad.

Terra_Ex

Video was amusing and everything and was visually quite impressive. I'm still waiting for the Quantic Dream game that manages to consistently keep the quality of the first half of Fahrenheit steady for the entire game, hopefully Beyond: Two Souls, or this (whatever it eventually morphs into) will be that game.

SRG01

Man, it's been a while since we've had a true comedy game on either system. Maybe QD's next project is going to be about directing video games?

Jet is a dev too, as far as I remember.

I know it's not the place, but would you mind posting some impressions of DriveClub. I'm surprised that for a game that's playable on the showfloor, noone here commented what was it like to play it?

Im off to the show. Will post tonight. In short I liked it. Is there a show floor impressions thread? I couldn't find one. If so PM me.

Top Bottom