• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

So I ended Day2 watching the extended Demo of this in Sonys booth. The buzz was non existant, the line was small, and I was curious. Before getting things going the Quantic Dream dev went on and on how there are no tricks, this is running in engine in 3D realtime with no video overlays. I was still quite skeptical. They showed everything from the press conference and then the demo went on for another five minutes. Another actor shows up in a devil costume, many more goblins appear. I kept thinking to myself this just can be. The character in the devil outfit looks absolutely real. I admit I was #TeamCG so I have been burned before. And this is supposedly real time no less. When it was over. He started to describe how many polys there were per character. And how many shaders. Blah blah. But then he started to change the lighting with the controller. To move the camera around in full 3D. Zoom in and out to see amazing details like the characters eyes. He started turning shaders on and off. Then he went into wireframe mode to show off the models. He had them do different animations like pushups to show off the cloth simulations for the clothes and hair. Because we were the last show of the day he had plenty of time to go through it in detail.

I could not compute. It was real. This is the single most impressive realtime 3D graphics demo I have ever seen in my life. I have been to many E3's and even SIGGRAPH. Never has my jaw hit the floor so hard. I put my face right up to the huge hidef tv screen to look more closely at the end. Still looked real. There can be no debate here people. #TEAMCG is happening and in real time on PS4. And it is not Kojima that is delivering. It is Quantic dream. This really deserves alot more attention than it is getting. Especially after what happened with the TeamCG vs TeamReal debate. If you are at E3, you must goto the Sony booth and wait in line for the Quantic Dream demo to see it for yourself. I asked them to release the demo on PSN store when PS4 comes out. The last argument is that this is just a demo, and what can the game look like. They were very confident that the game will look like this or better. The Quantic Dream guy listed how they made this in 6 months using tools from the Beyond pipeline. And that it was not even using the full memory of PS4. He also pointed to their pedigree, and I have to admit, Beyond looks better than many next gen games at E3.

#TEAMCG has been vindicated! Discuss.
God exists and he is French.

Qvoth

So I ended Day2 watching the extended Demo of this in Sonys booth. The buzz was non existant, the line was small, and I was curious. Before getting things going the Quantic Dream dev went on and on how there are no tricks, this is running in engine in 3D realtime with no video overlays. I was still quite skeptical. They showed everything from the press conference and then the demo went on for another five minutes. Another actor shows up in a devil costume, many more goblins appear. I kept thinking to myself this just can be. The character in the devil outfit looks absolutely real. I admit I was #TeamCG so I have been burned before. And this is supposedly real time no less. When it was over. He started to describe how many polys there were per character. And how many shaders. Blah blah. But then he started to change the lighting with the controller. To move the camera around in full 3D. Zoom in and out to see amazing details like the characters eyes. He started turning shaders on and off. Then he went into wireframe mode to show off the models. He had them do different animations like pushups to show off the cloth simulations for the clothes and hair. Because we were the last show of the day he had plenty of time to go through it in detail.

I could not compute. It was real. This is the single most impressive realtime 3D graphics demo I have ever seen in my life. I have been to many E3's and even SIGGRAPH. Never has my jaw hit the floor so hard. I put my face right up to the huge hidef tv screen to look more closely at the end. Still looked real. There can be no debate here people. #TEAMCG is happening and in real time on PS4. And it is not Kojima that is delivering. It is Quantic dream. This really deserves alot more attention than it is getting. Especially after what happened with the TeamCG vs TeamReal debate. If you are at E3, you must goto the Sony booth and wait in line for the Quantic Dream demo to see it for yourself. I asked them to release the demo on PSN store when PS4 comes out. The last argument is that this is just a demo, and what can the game look like. They were very confident that the game will look like this or better. The Quantic Dream guy listed how they made this in 6 months using tools from the Beyond pipeline. And that it was not even using the full memory of PS4. He also pointed to their pedigree, and I have to admit, Beyond looks better than many next gen games at E3.

wat
that is a huge surprise
did you manage to find out what the real game is going to be like? i mean it's not going to be a film directing sim right? lol

I thought it was amazing and even more so because I think, unlike The Casting, Heavy Rain, and Beyond, it wasn't "dramatic". It was funny, it was silly and the comedic timing was great. I would love to play a game like this with a clear sense of humor as opposed to a drama leaden, melodramatic plodding mess of a narrative.

Yeah, when they got into it I was already drawn to the graphics and lighting but when it suddenly broke into the actors I couldn't stop laughing, it was so good. If that's what it's going to look like and be like it should be fun.

That is simple unbelievable. We go through this every generation first the dinosaurs the old man face demo, the girl walking on the runway, final fantasy demo's, the guy from spiderman face demo. So when I saw the face demo at the playstation demo I was like that is pretty cool but the memory and rendering budget was all spent on the head just look all the previous generations. When I saw the new video I was blown away. simply amazing.

CamHostage

It was pretty awesome when GG released the "bullet" advertisement for Killzone in the form of a tech demo that you could mess around with.

This would be a cool little pack-in with the PS4.

Is this still downloadable? I've never seen it and it sounds fairly interesting?

Yessir.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...llet/cid=UP9000-NPUA70041_00-DKILLZONE2000001

And here's the TVCM as it aired on TV for comparison while you're waiting to download and see it in realtime:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/19/helghast-in-hd-killzone-2-ads-hit-tv/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3SOI9l2kY

3406775089_6f15758b85_o.jpg

Tech geeks and video game developers rejoiced when Guerrilla did it. Please do it again, Mr. Cage & Co.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Insane. People should be talking about this more. I really hope they release a demo for people to play around with and show off to friends.

Zeroth

Shame it's only a tech demo and not a full game. I think it would be extremely interesting seeing this being turned into a full fledged game.

Kevin

I really hope they make this interactive demo available for download on PSN for PS4 owners. Would be a nice little treat. Heck, I'd even say bundle it with the system. :)

watl7vehragf.gif

Ephemeris

Aww man. I saw it on Day 2 myself. Ah-mazing.

I like the part where he was talking about the red in the eyes and zoomed in all the way so you could see it. Mentioned with the exception of 1 thing, they were using Ps3 and not PS4 tools.

I found it impressive when he was switching the backgrounds on the fly and showed you the wire frame of the Goblin. Craziness.

Did you see infamous as well? Man, Sony's machine is going to shine in the right hands.

Crap I'd even play a game of this if it was just "Fantasy Game Cut Scene Set Director".

IT was that damn good!

However, I'm willing to bet this is gonna end up like the "Kara" demo they showed before unveiling Beyond:Two Souls.

The final game using this tech probably won't have anything to do with this demo.

Toparaman

Banned
People: I think the Uncanny Valley has finally been crossed. I'm actually not creeped out by a realistic CG human. I can even find him amusing and charming. We finally made it.

I was TeamReal, but it looks like TeamCG has been vindicated somewhat.

Also, to the guys saying (most) games won't look as good as this: WE KNOW. Way to miss the point of the tech demo.

wat
that is a huge surprise
did you manage to find out what the real game is going to be like? i mean it's not going to be a film directing sim right? lol

cnNKmC7.jpg

People: I think the Uncanny Valley has finally been crossed. I'm actually not creeped out by a realistic CG human. I can even find him amusing and charming. We finally made it.

There remain compositing problems but I agree about the uncanny valley problem. We've definitely got past it.

Pistolero

I was actually blown away by...Beyond : Two Souls. I remember thinking to myself as I was watching the segment of the game in Africa, that the title must be Cross-Gen. Very impressive.

Ploid 3.0

This Demo was completely awesome but I still want a game based on the Kara demo. I really want to play a game in that world.

Kara will probably end up dying trying to protect the kid she was assigned to be a nanny for. Or she will end up like that movie with Robin Williams, all the kids grow up.

This Demo was completely awesome but I still want a game based on the Kara demo. I really want to play a game in that world.
It was science fiction for people under 18/people who haven't read more than one sci fi book (somewhat similar to Remember me). It didn't sound like a good concept to me.

It was science fiction for people under 18/people who haven't read more than one sci fi book (somewhat similar to Remember me). It didn't sound like a good concept to me.

I'm almost 40 and I've read tons of Science fiction, and I think it would be a great concept for a game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There remain compositing problems but I agree about the uncanny valley problem. We've definitely got past it.

Oh, not past it quite yet, but going up the valley most certainly.

The devil is just the worst. I mean I literally can't tell anymore if he is real or not :(

If you would have told me that he is an actual human being with make-up dressing in a devil costume, I would have believed you. And not even in stills, in motion too. His animations are frightening real:

i791OUaUqC5CT.gif

idG4bKw4UIY8.gif

Do you remember how many polygons they said the character models or scenes were pushing?

Knox

No you're right. This demo is very limited in scope and is a very controlled environment. Games with traditional gameplay are not gonna look like this.

Yup. It's super impressive, but I'm skeptical that this kind of thing can be done in a realistic gameplay scenario with more than 3 characters and dynamic environments. Still, I'm sure games are going to look fucking amazing. I'm just not getting my hopes up for every NPC to look like this in the next Falllout, for example.

tafer

The devil is just the worst. I mean I literally can't tell anymore if he is real or not :(

If you would have told me that he is an actual human being with make-up dressing in a devil costume, I would have believed you. And not even in stills, in motion too. His animations are frightening real:

idG4bKw4UIY8.gif

Woah... check that body language, it's extraordinary.

Yup. It's super impressive, but I'm skeptical that this kind of thing can be done in a realistic gameplay scenario with more than 3 characters and dynamic environments. Still, I'm sure games are going to look fucking amazing. I'm just not getting my hopes up for every NPC to look like this in the next Falllout, for example.

There was actually more than 3 characters in a scene when all the clones of that green dude (troll?) popped up :p

mothball

Do you remember how many polygons they said the character models or scenes were pushing?

I read in another GAF thread that they said there were just about 1 million polys per character, plus 1 million for the set for 4 million polys when all three were in scene.

Do we have any poly counts of typical current gen stuff for comparison?

No you're right. This demo is very limited in scope and is a very controlled environment. Games with traditional gameplay are not gonna look like this.
The Kara demo was also very limited in scope and was a very controlled environment and yet I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog beat it too, not just Quantic. This is literally the same situation. Quantic not just produces nice looking demos, they actually build them with the goal to beat them. Their tech demos never use the all the features of their engine and all the available power of the console, because they want to build a full game that looks as good or better than their respective tech demo. If they can do it, Naughty Dog probably can do it too.

fallagin said:
"In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin. The change of set and all the lighting (and the behavior of the shaders) between the dramatic version of the set and the “studio” version is done in real time. The same holds true for all pyrotechnical particle effects."

-SD-

Banned
This is a historic tech demo, no doubt about it.

EDIT: As a PC gamer I'm sad we didn't achieve this stage on this scale on the PC, but as a real-time graphics enthusiast a.k.a. graphics whore, I'm simply ecstatic.

dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif

onQ123

Am I wrong to doubt that next gen gameplay will look this good?

Beyond 2 Souls is being done on a console with 512MB of Ram (256MB Main Ram + 256MB Vram ) 24GB/s bandwidth ~ 230 GFLOPS GPU 7 year old hardware & you don't think that a console coming out 7 years later with 8GB of 176GB/s GDDR5 & a 1.84TFLOPS GPU can produce gameplay that look this good?

SOMALIA_03.JPG

Top Bottom