• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

Did he say that half the ram was still free? He coughs and there's some crowd noise so I couldn't quite catch it.

It's far from a guarantee, but it'd lend credence to the notion that games might eventually look like this.

The demon guy does look astonishingly real (more so than the sorcerer, if you ask me), he's almost completely indistiguishable from the real deal to me. Just amazing.

I thought the same thing when he stepped on "stage". I almost thought they superimposed a real guy into the clip for extra comedic effect. So realistic.

So good! (GIF alarm)

i1WILhSQvtBAT.gif

iSctiumoi1Fmr.gif

ifFwE3lMBv243.gif

Anyone spotted the direct feed version of this yet? I don't care if it's 2GB or more. I want high quality :)
Not yet unfortunately. I tweeted the executive producer if Sony could upload it to the store. Fingers crossed.

David Cage was all about the importance of games being multiplatform during his DICE talk, so will see see a a Q.D. game on Xbox One after their contract with Sony is up?

Maybe he meant mobile-home console contectivity that a lot of people are championing? Everything he has said otherwise has been extremely tight with Sony.

mo-capping faces and body separately will to fully retarded and unnatural character behaviour who looks possessed ones where they body goes in a direction and they head seems not belonging to them just like L.A Noire. Beyond Two Souls is the first game to capture everything at once.

Nope. Heavenly Sword was the first to capture everything, with multiple actors, at once. They had to hire out WETA to do it, but they did it first.

David Cage was all about the importance of games being multiplatform during his DICE talk, so will see see a a Q.D. game on Xbox One after their contract with Sony is up?

Well I don't think so, this demo CLEARLY states: "Sony Computer Entertainment presents" at the beginning! Keep in mind that David Cage is very thankful to Sony (and thus extremely bound to them) for providing him with the right tools and studios of mo-capping, they are the ones funding all his games. Their loyalty is very comparable to first party studio compared how was the relation between Insomniac and Sony, or Bungie and Remedy to Microsoft. So expect the possibility of Sony buying Quantic Dream more than seeing them doing a game on other platforms. Th

Did he say that half the ram was still free? He coughs and there's some crowd noise so I couldn't quite catch it.

It's far from a guarantee, but it'd lend credence to the notion that games might eventually look like this.
The demo is probably from February, so it was build with 3.5 GB available RAM in mind. All the characters combined use 1GB of RAM. So the whole scene probably uses 3GB or something.

Nope. Heavenly Sword was the first to capture everything, with multiple actors, at once. They had to hire out WETA to do it, but they did it first.

Well, sadly Heavenly Sword only used that mo-cap for their pre-rendered FMVs and only King Bohan played with Andy Sirkhis was the most astonishing one. I was talking about ingame and gameplay performance like the one we saw in Beyond Two Souls.

Well I don't think so, this demo CLEARLY states: "Sony Computer Entertainment presents" at the beginning! Keep in mind that David Cage is very thankful to Sony (and thus extremely bound to them) for providing him with the right tools and studios of mo-capping, they are the ones funding all his games. Their loyalty is very comparable to first party studio compared how was the relation between Insomniac and Sony, or Bungie and Remedy to Microsoft. So expect the possibility of Sony buying Quantic Dream more than seeing them doing a game on other platforms. Th
You are correct, but for clarification the tools and the mo-cap studio are owned and developed by Quantic themselves. Sony funds their games, but they develop their own tools independently and their mo-cap studio is used by other game developers in France, which generates Quantic additional revenue they use to expand. They also fully own their proprietary engine. Sony has nothing to do with that (yet) ;)

So good! (GIF alarm)

i1WILhSQvtBAT.gif

iSctiumoi1Fmr.gif

ifFwE3lMBv243.gif

Not yet unfortunately. I tweeted the executive producer if Sony could upload it to the store. Fingers crossed.

I noticed the over-use a very advanced version of the subsurface-scattering. It looks creepy some times. I hope they use it to show extreme scenes like showing the veins of some animals or a foetus or used in their nude scenes ( I hope they show more this time, the technology allows to fully showcase special members ) :p

Setsuna

yes you heard it wrong: Maurice alone is using 700 000 of triangles, 40 different shaders and 350 MB of textures data and his entire body and cloth parts are interacting dynamically with the environments and not pre-animated. The framerates and graphics were unoptimized and are certain to improve.

Also, they said: "Our framerate isnt optimized at all sometimes we get 90FPS"

From: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy/

"In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin. The change of set and all the lighting (and the behavior of the shaders) between the dramatic version of the set and the “studio” version is done in real time. The same holds true for all pyrotechnical particle effects."

This and the next game of Naughty Dog will be the first to bust the myths of ingame one million poly characters:

i think the polygon thing is more about a basic character

of course you can add more polygons to a character to give it more definition

filopilo

Well, sadly Heavenly Sword only used that mo-cap for their pre-rendered FMVs and only King Bohan played with Andy Sirkhis was the most astonishing one. I was talking about ingame and gameplay performance like the one we saw in Beyond Two Souls.

Nope.

Uncharted games did performance capture well before Quantic Dream.QD probably went to performance capture (partially at least ) because of ND.

That and the fact that it.'s nonsense to do performance capture for game play animation because it's inherently procédural and dynamic.

Performance capture is à cinematic tool.
You use it when you want body langage and voice acting to match .

JordanN

Banned
guys someone knows how many polygons have crysis 2 main character on pc ? My friend tell me 900.000, it's true ? O_O
The original Crysis had the nano suit at 67,000 polygons and it was drawing on average 1.1 million polygons a frame so that seems unbelievable to me.

Edit:The console versions of Crysis 2 had no more than 20-30,000 polygons for the nano suit so I'm not sure how the PC is making a 30x jump over that unless you factor in tessellation/displacement maps (but I don't recall Crysis 2 using that on the characters, only the environments).

Disregard the "67,000" figure if it's indeed fake.

Nope.

Uncharted games did performance capture well before Quantic Dream.QD probably went to performance capture (partially at least ) because of ND.

That and the fact that it.'s nonsense to do performance capture for game play animation because it's inherently procédural and dynamic.

You use it when you want body language and voice acting to match .

We talk about face mocap and body mocap with same actors at the same time. That's different. Naughty Dog used to hand animate facial animations just like Kojima in MGS games, they mocapped body movements but they hand animated faces, now they are mocapping both faces and body but each one is separate procedure with different actors. It will lead to clunky results like L.A Noire. Beyond Two Souls used same actors for everything at once for gameplay and that's a first. I know what I am talking about.

The original Crysis had the nano suit at 67,000 polygons and it was drawing on average 1.1 million polygons a frame so that seems unbelievable to me.

That only applies to the 2007 first tech demo that didn't reflect any of Crytek games even with the highest mods. just watch it again and compare it to even Cryengine 3. Itw as all pure BS.

Uncharted 2 used 80,000 Polygons http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5942.html and 47,000 for online (look at Zbrush central official Uncharted 2 thread). Polycount was downgraded in Uncharted 3 multiplayer due to the 3D integration. Thank God there isn't any 3D hype or fuss about it on PS4, a great way of losing resources.

The demo is probably from February, so it was build with 3.5 GB available RAM in mind. All the characters combined use 1GB of RAM. So the whole scene probably uses 3GB or something.

That's the most impressive stuff. It is made with 4gb in mind, the guy said this during the presentation.

I don't know about the Nano suit but in my Crysis 1 playthrough there were scenes between 3-5 million polygons per frame.

luca_29_bg

Edit:The console versions of Crysis 2 had no more than 20-30,000 polygons for the nano suit so I'm not sure how the PC is making a 30x jump over that unless you factor in tessellation/displacement maps (but I don't recall Crysis 2 using that on the characters, only the environments).

yeah it's strange this high number, i remember tessellation for the environments too, but not for character!

PSYGN

This is a historic tech demo, no doubt about it.

EDIT: As a PC gamer I'm sad we didn't achieve this stage on this scale on the PC, but as a real-time graphics enthusiast a.k.a. graphics whore, I'm simply ecstatic.

dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif

This gif continues to blow my mind. And the live demo even in its lower fidelity is crazy awesome. At first I thought the background was all green screened or static assets (they had me fooled) but he flipped back into the cave and panned around while talking about volumetric lighting and even showed the wireframe of the goblin. Insane!

I hope Naughty Dog tries mo-capping faces for their PS4 games. They're pretty religious about hand animating faces, but I hope the results seen in Second Son and here give them something to think about.

From what I recall they've said that they hand animate faces because current tech doesn't pick up on many subtle movements that a persons face can make. I'm playing TLoU right now and it has the best facial expressions that i've seen in a current gen game. And there seems to be a sizable gap between what they're producing and what everyone else is.

Sony needs to buy Quantic Dream now!

I was convinced that they were going to buy QD right up until they announced their used game policy. QD has been quite vocal about taking issue with used games, so i'm not sure that they'll still be willing to be purchased by Sony considering that fact.

Melchiah

The one thing that caught my eye in it, was the detail of the clothes and gear. They were actually protruding, hanging and swaying there, unlike, say, the chains wrapped around Kratos' arms, that seem like painted on the bracelets. That's a welcome change for me, as those "painted" accessories have been an eyesore for me a long time.

luca_29_bg

That only applies to the 2007 first tech demo that didn't reflect any of Crytek games even with the highest mods. just watch it again and compare it to even Cryengine 3. Itw as all pure BS.

Uncharted 2 used 80,000 Polygons http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5942.html and 47,000 for online (look at Zbrush central official Uncharted 2 thread). Polycount was downgraded in Uncharted 3 multiplayer due to the 3D integration. Thank God there isn't any 3D hype or fuss about it on PS4, a great way of losing resources.

So the final crysis 1 don't have 67,000 polygons for the nanosuit ? You have some real number for the 2 maybe ? Because 900.000 it's a little too high for me!

The one thing that caught my eye in it, was the detail of the clothes and gear. They were actually protruding, hanging and swaying there, unlike, say, the chains wrapped around Kratos' arms, that seem like painted on the bracelets. That's a welcome change for me, as those "painted" accessories have been an eyesore for me a long time.

I remember last year, Square Enix showcased Agni's Philosophy (running on a monster PC with 32gigs of RAM) and they were fiddling with hair, clothes and feathers. It was initially a CGI FMV, then they thought they could achieve those graphics in real-time. I was almost certain that we will enjoy such graphics on FFversus13 since it was thought to be PS4 exclusive. Today we found out that the game is no longer exclusive and the ingame parts looked just slightly upgraded from the PS3 version (praise the multiplatformism mind).

I have the feeling Quantic Dream mimiced that Agni's Philosophy tech demo with hair the clothing design and the feathers on it with everything highly detailed moving and casting shadows, to say: "Hey we can do EVEN better and INGAME FOR REAL and we do not BLUFF. Our tech demo is more realistic, very funny and everyone knows that our games look way better than our tech demos!"

A big slap on the face of SquareEnix for not fulfilling their promises (being exclusive to PS platform and maintaining those graphics ingame) and preferring the lucrative route.

Are we sure he says 90 and not 19?

This should be the video, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4i6TiYLwHW4

16:20
19 makes more sense, but I hear 90 as well. Would be crazy if it ever goes up that high.

Nope.

You use it when you want body langage and voice acting to match .
Performance capture is not the same as full performance capture. ND only captures voice and body at the same time, Quantic does voice, body and face. Similar to Heavenly Sword.

They should sign them on another 3 games deal.
That's the right thing to do. I want them to continue working with Sony. But I don't think Sony should buy them, I don't want them to end up like Zipper and Liverpool :/

Right now their situation is perfect.

So the final crysis 1 don't have 67,000 polygons for the nanosuit ? You have some real number for the 2 maybe ? Because 900.000 it's a little too high for me!

Well this gen, the highest polycount models are found in Uncharted 2+3 (dunno about TLOU though). Naughty Dog were bragging about having the highest "normal persons" polycount and that was with Uncharted 2 (meaning it was released after Crysis 1) Ghosts busters on PS3 used 60k polys but their characters looked ridiculous and everyone blamed them for wasting resources. I talked inisde GOW3 forums with the devs and they confirmed that Kratos went from 20k polys in earl trailers to 35k (in Ascension he got more but I don't know how much). Cronos for instance was a character but a whole scene too, they used 500k for him and that was the highest polycount ever made for a model even surpassing premium car models in GT5 (off topic GOW3 + A did have the highest fidelity models ever in any game no LOD in ANY case, even when Kratos was held between Cronos' fingers he still had the same polycount even when looking so tiny and far way, thus his muscles still flex and wrinkles at that time and the same was confirmed in GOWA). Even Killzone Shadow Fall didn't have a huge increase like with Dark Sorcerer:

jiVWOO2ZAlIU4.png

2pYjLaF.png

Expect almost every next-gen to get even a smaller jump than KZ:SF. (from 10k in KZ3 to 40k in KZ:SF)

Having a million poly character is myth always sought to discover by devs (reached now by Quantic Dream) and being done next by Naughty Dog: http://n4g.com/news/925192/naughty-...-with-million-poly-character-models#c-6221739

So Crysis having a900k character (well it is an FPS HOW DO YOU SEE YOUR CHARACTER INGAME?) is pure (there is no word to describe this). Your friend is either a Crysis stubborn whore fanatic or trolling you and you fell for that or both.

luca_29_bg

Well this gen, the highest polycount models are found in Uncharted 2+3 (dunno about TLOU though). Naughty Dog were bragging about having the highest "normal persons" polycount and that was with Uncharted 2 (meaning it was released after Crysis 1) Ghosts busters on PS3 used 60k polys but their characters looked ridiculous and everyone blamed them for wasting resources. I talked inisde GOW3 forums with the devs and they confirmed that Kratos went from 20k polys in earl trailers to 35k (in Ascension he got more but I don't know how much). Cronos for instance was a character but a whole scene too, they used 500k for him and that was the highest polycount ever made for a model even surpassing car models in GT5. Even Killzone Shadow Fall didn't have a huge increase like with Dark Sorcerer:

jiVWOO2ZAlIU4.png

Expect almost every next-gen to get even a smaller jump than KZ:SF. (from 10k in KZ3 to 40k in KZ:SF)

Having a million poly character is myth always sought to discover by devs (reached now by Quantic Dream) and being done next by Naughty Dog: http://n4g.com/news/925192/naughty-...-with-million-poly-character-models#c-6221739

So Crysis having a900k character (well it is an FPS HOW DO YOU SEE YOUR CHARACTER INGAME?) is pure (there is no word to describe this). Your friend is either a Crysis stubborn whore fanatic or trolling you and you fell for that or both.

Well no my friend is not a crysis fanatic...but he...well....don't like so much ps4 architecture. He is a fan of cell, a little little (Hi Matteo! ) Now he will kill me! :p

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
19 makes more sense, but I hear 90 as well. Would be crazy if it ever goes up that high.

That would mean that at 30fps we'd have 3 time the graphic quality!!

I know it doesn't work like that

Joking aside, if they really get 90fps without even optimizing the code very much... I don't know what to think. :lol

I was convinced that they were going to buy QD right up until they announced their used game policy. QD has been quite vocal about taking issue with used games, so i'm not sure that they'll still be willing to be purchased by Sony considering that fact.
That's not quite true. David Cage is supportive of used games, his CFO is against them, but in the same sentence he said used games can only disappear when the prices drop dramatically as well. Otherwise it is not possible.
I can agree with this. I can't blame him for doing his job (=looking at ways to maximize profit), but he is not as clueless as EA. Since he isn't in charge anyway, I doubt Quantic Dream overall has anything against used games nor would it influence anything if Sony would offer them to buy them.

On another note, the CFO has already publicly declared the PS4 the winner of next gen on twitter, so I'm not so sure he supports the One's policies ;)

That's not quite true. David Cage is supportive of used games, his CFO is against them, but in the same sentence he said used games can only disappear when the prices drop dramatically as well. Otherwise it is not possible.
I can agree with this. I can't blame him for doing his job (=looking at ways to maximize profit), but he is not as clueless as EA. Since he isn't in charge anyway, I doubt Quantic Dream overall has anything against used games nor would it influence anything if Sony would offer them to buy them.

On another note, the CFO has already declared the PS4 the winner of next gen on twitter, so I'm not so sure he supports the One's policies ;)

The only solution to combat used games is to make extra great games (you know most of the 90+ score on metacritics are overhyped and the score doesn't reflect their true value if dissected correctly ). Gamers won't feel the urge to follow the used games path and will be obliged to (charmed) to buy the game. If only all devs put qquality as first objective instead of money, the video game industry will shine, but this will rarely happen. Even little gems like Plants Versus Zombies got swallowed conglomerates companies like EA and they are turning into money machines thus losing their innocent charm. Sigh !

Agreed, Sony need to work out a deal to bring QD into first party.

This gif continues to blow my mind. And the live demo even in its lower fidelity is crazy awesome. At first I thought the background was all green screened or static assets (they had me fooled) but he flipped back into the cave and panned around while talking about volumetric lighting and even showed the wireframe of the goblin. Insane!

Yeah, that was cool seeing that live demo demonstration.

Agreed, Sony need to work out a deal to bring QD into first party.
I think they are in the perfect position right now. Not completely controlled by Sony, but very close to them. They can stay exactly where they are right now IMO. I mean Sony dedicated a small section of their booth completely to QD, I don't think any independent second party developer ever had such a big presence at Sony's booth in a very long time.

Also QD's executive producer and Shu meet all the time:

Safe to say Quantic is probably locked in for a long time and is likely even directly involved in Sony's PS4 strategy.

Top Bottom