• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nope.

Uncharted games did performance capture well before Quantic Dream.QD probably went to performance capture (partially at least ) because of ND.
Performance capture usually refers to recording body and face and automatically translating that into animation data using some kind of pointers or image analysis, etc. But ND has not been doing that for their facial animations. They made reference videos of actors' faces, but they'd hand animate everyone's face. They've done that on all three Uncharted games and now on TLOU. They'd also partially hand-animate bodies, but only where mocap didn't quite work.

I love their artistic approach to this, they've gotten so much better at it too (just look at UC1 after seeing TLOU) but I too wonder how far it can get them compared to something like this, which looks practically like perfection in terms of movement believability.

I hope Naughty Dog tries mo-capping faces for their PS4 games. They're pretty religious about hand animating faces, but I hope the results seen in Second Son and here give them something to think about.
I think they can get better than Second Son. In fact, I find their work on TLOU already more appealing than Second Son (with the caveat that I haven't seen much SS footage) This demo however is another story.

miso_Jeff

Banned
I was convinced that they were going to buy QD right up until they announced their used game policy. QD has been quite vocal about taking issue with used games, so i'm not sure that they'll still be willing to be purchased by Sony considering that fact.

From what I read, probably from Gaf, the guys don't have an exclusivity deal with Sony. They said that they have no plans to go multiplatform anytime soon because Sony lets them do whatever they want when they want... something like that.

Akira

Not sure if this was posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6TiYLwHW4

Some interesting notes:

• Running at 1080p @ 30 FPS, textures are native to 1080p resolution, framerate was not optimized
  • 1st generation of QD's PS4 development cycle
  • They did not use PS4 tools, they used their PS3 development pipelines (same as Beyond) and just used high fidelity assets
  • Only 4GB of dat GDDR5 is being used
  • The set is 1 million polygons
  • The lighting is dynamic as is the shift between the film lighting and the studio lighting, which they are able to shift back and forth within 1 single frame

At the end they move the camera around the set and change between the two different lighting situation. Really impressive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Some interesting notes:

• Running at 1080p @ 30 FPS, textures are native to 1080p resolution, framerate was not optimized
  • They did not use PS4 tools, they used their PS3 development pipelines (same as Beyond) and just used high fidelity assets
  • The lighting is dynamic as is the shift between the film lighting and the studio lighting, which they are able to shift back and forth within 1 single frame

At the end they move the camera around the set and change between the two different lighting situation. Really impressive.

Very impressive considering the early nature and limited amount of memory.

Edit - Very technical speak. I enjoy this stuff when talked about. Glad PS4 devs are opening up like this.

-SD-

Banned

Some interesting notes:

• Running at 1080p @ 30-90 FPS, textures are native to 1080p resolution, framerate was not optimized

It was posted earlier in this thread but a summary is always nice, so thanks.

He said that the fps was 30-90, so I fixed that for you.

NoSome interesting notes:

Wow that is amazing. They did a lot with those limitations! Can't wait to see the next version.

That rig they are using for facial capture on Second Son is really cool. The stereo cameras for capturing the facial movement are actually mounted on that facemask-like bar worn by the actor.

Looks like there's also a microphone right there too. So we should be able to get some really subtle vocal performances that could only be captured via close-micing.

Don't think I've ever seen a piece of kit like that before. Makes a lot of sense to do it that way. Seems like you could attain a lot more accuracy than tying to mo-cap the face from the normal mo-cap cameras.

That rig they are using for facial capture on Second Son is really cool. The stereo cameras (looks like 4 of them actually) for capturing the facial movement are actually mounted on that facemask-like bars worn by the actor.

Looks like there's probably also a microphone right there too. So we should be able to get some really subtle vocal performances that could only be captured via close-micing.

Don't think I've ever seen a piece of kit like that before. Makes a lot of sense to do it that way. Seems like you could attain a lot more accuracy than tying to mo-cap the face from the normal mo-cap cameras.

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0007.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0012.jpg

Yes, please tell me how the PS4 is "just" a mid to low level PC from 2012 again.

Please show me a mid level PC that pulling this off.

antti-la

That demo is just insane. When the screenshots are supersampled via scaling down, I really can't tell whether it's a photo. Nope it's not a photo, it's a game engine, and it's running real time.

Of course you have to remember, that it's just a scripted demo running real time. There's no player interaction, physics, AI, various dynamic assets which surely can hog a lot of that horsepower.

How ever considering how Quantic Dreams games have been so far (more like interactive movies - which I don't consider a bad thing) I can totally see them pulling out something like this for their first PS4 game, and it will be awesome.

On PC's for years there have been pretty damn impressive tech demos by nvidia and amd which represent what's their new gfx card capable of, too bad that still a fraction of that level of detail have we really seen in a game.

E-Cat

Yes, please tell me how the PS4 is "just" a mid to low level PC from 2012 again.

Please show me a mid level PC that pulling this off.
In terms of the CPU and GPU, it absolutely is (mid-level, not low). Obviously, there's also the fast memory and interconnects.

This is the result of optimizing for a single platform; it's what many have been saying all along. It's still sad--but understandable--that the PS4 isn't even slightly more powerful. Not because a weak PS4 wouldn't still exceed the PC in some scenarios, but because near parity with cutting-edge PCs at launch is the historical precedent and would've yielded even more spectacular graphics.

That demo is just insane. When the screenshots are supersampled via scaling down, I really can't tell whether it's a photo. Nope it's not a photo, it's a game engine, and it's running real time.

Of course you have to remember, that it's just a scripted demo running real time. There's no player interaction, physics, AI, various dynamic assets which surely can hog a lot of that horsepower.

How ever considering how Quantic Dreams games have been so far (more like interactive movies - which I don't consider a bad thing) I can totally see them pulling out something like this for their first PS4 game, and it will be awesome.

On PC's for years there have been pretty damn impressive tech demos by nvidia and amd which represent what's their new gfx card capable of, too bad that still a fraction of that level of detail have we really seen in a game.

Noe of the Nvidia or AMD demos look anywhere near this good overall, but that is also probably because they are not game designers, and their demos often have pretty crumby art.

B.O.O.M

This may sound weird but with visuals like this...I would love a good point and click adventure game. Something similar to Blade Runner game for example.

antti-la

Noe of the Nvidia or AMD demos look anywhere near this good overall, but that is also probably because they are not game designers, and their demos often have pretty crumby art.

Went to look for for videos to prove myself, but yep you're right. My memory served me wrong, I remembered they looked way better than they actually did.

Clothes, jewelry and hair look like real-time physics objects to me.

Can be, but also they can be somewhat precalculated, animated or fixed. If the physics are real time then daymn.

Still, easily the most impressive tech demo I've ever seen.

Went to look for for videos to prove myself, but yep you're right. My memory served me wrong, I remembered they looked way better than they actually did.

Can be, but also they can be somewhat precalculated, animated or fixed. If the physics are real time then daymn.

Yeah, this is the first time I have seen QD output a demo where all the elements pretty much come together. On PS3, environmental detail has taken a hit compared to character graphics. Here the environment also looks excellent. And this is the first iteration of their engine.

I wish ND had showcased a tech demo though...

In addition to the cloth, hair, jewelry, ect that -SD- mentioned, there's lots of fire, smoke, particle effects, and of course the part where the Actor gets a face full of water. Those are all dynamic, physical calculations too.

Pretty sure it is not precalculated. It says at the end that they used the Havok physics engine for the game physics and the clothing. Also the dev who held the presentation posted this on his public facebook account:

neubitmap55smucf.jpg

Also they demonstrated the dynamic clothing later on for the people attending the demo:

But then he started to change the lighting with the controller. To move the camera around in full 3D. Zoom in and out to see amazing details like the characters eyes. He started turning shaders on and off. Then he went into wireframe mode to show off the models. He had them do different animations like pushups to show off the cloth simulations for the clothes and hair. Because we were the last show of the day he had plenty of time to go through it in detail.

I could not compute. It was real. This is the single most impressive realtime 3D graphics demo I have ever seen in my life. I have been to many E3's and even SIGGRAPH. Never has my jaw hit the floor so hard. I put my face right up to the huge hidef tv screen to look more closely at the end. Still looked real. There can be no debate here people. #TEAMCG is happening and in real time on PS4. And it is not Kojima that is delivering. It is Quantic dream. This really deserves alot more attention than it is getting. Especially after what happened with the TeamCG vs TeamReal debate.
The Quantic Dream guy listed how they made this in 6 months using tools from the Beyond pipeline. And that it was not even using the full memory of PS4. He also pointed to their pedigree, and I have to admit, Beyond looks better than many next gen games at E3.

#TEAMCG has been vindicated! Discuss.

StevieP

Banned

Why is that funny? If you release the executable to your demo, I can run it on a wide variety of PCs for you and bench it and all that fun stuff.

The PS4 is going to be a great console, I'm quite sure of that - but its parts are a known quantity, as published by SCE, and it is what it is. Facts are facts.

It would have to be ported. They can't just release the " executable".

And what mid end pc has 8GDDR5 with a APU and an overall architecture with insane bandwidth?

Your facts seem to be ignoring many other facts.
Why is that funny? If you release the executable to your demo, I can run it on a wide variety of PCs for you and bench it and all that fun stuff.

The PS4 is going to be a great console, I'm quite sure of that - but its parts are a known quantity, as published by SCE, and it is what it is. Facts are facts.

did they say how many polygons the characters were? The old man and the troll look ridiculously good. 500k+?
Try 1 million :D They said all of the 3 characters are close to pushing 1 million polygons each. Naughty Dog was also recruiting artists for one million polygon characters recently. So I guess we might actually see insane next gen characters in games soon (at least those by Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog) ;)

StevieP

Banned
It would have to be ported. They can't just release the " executable".

And what mid end pc has 8GDDR5 with a APU and an overall architecture with insane bandwidth?

Your facts seem to be ignoring many other facts.

If you're going to bust out the 8gb of gddr5 defence then we don't really have much to talk about here, other than "lololol" or whatever it is that you responded with originally. Apus and shared fast memory are great, but the hardware power is a known quantity thanks to Sony. When people say things like "mid range pc", well... These are indisputable facts, despite the fact that it contains things that other PCs don't have.

As far as this and most other games you've seen at e3, development started on pcs. There is source code that could be compiled and released for PC if mr cage wants us to bench it for him, similar to stuff like the NV And ATI demos of yore.

None of this takes away from the ps4 being a great console, either. It's just what it is.

nasos_333

If you're going to bust out the 8gb of gddr5 defence then we don't really have much to talk about here, other than "lololol" or whatever it is that you responded with originally. Apus and shared fast memory are great, but the hardware power is a known quantity thanks to Sony. When people say things like "mid range pc", well... These are indisputable facts, despite the fact that it contains things that other PCs don't have.

As far as this and most other games you've seen at e3, development started on pcs. There is source code that could be compiled and released for PC if mr cage wants us to bench it for him, similar to stuff like the NV And ATI demos of yore.

None of this takes away from the ps4 being a great console, either. It's just what it is.

But in the end it is all about what graphics you finally get and Sorcerer is by far and away the most impressive real time graphics i have ever seen

IMO it even beats most of CGI movies, it just feels so much more detailed than most i have seen (and i have seen them alsmost all)

Why would the exact power of PS4 make any differece to how unbelievable that demo looks ?

And the fact that they are not even remotly using PS4 to its fullest is even more impressive

Are you serious with this shit? Developing in a PC environment does not mean you can just hit the " Compile to PC" button and be done with it. Where do you come up with this shit?

And you are the one that seems to be busting out the "lol gddr5" defence. I consider the overall unified architecture to be a bigger deal.

Sorry for the shitty stream pics.

ayIHP8X.png
lSlBK5d.png

Just unbelievable lighting, I still can't believe it. It's photoreal.
I've never been more excited for a new generation.

Are you serious with this shit? Developing in a PC environment does not mean you can just hit the " Compile to PC" button and be done with it. Where do you come up with this shit?

And you are the one that seems to be busting out the "lol gddr5" defence. I consider the overall unified architecture to be a bigger deal.

all he is saying is, if we hack the ps3 and run synthetic benchmarks a mid range pc gpu and cpu will score better on a pc.

No one is going to code a game to run on an i3 quad with 8gb ddr3 and a mid range gpu (AMD7830 with 4gb GDDR5) but if they did, it could probably looks pretty fucking similar.

Im not going to comment on the awesomeness of this tech demo until i see it running in front of me.

Clothes, jewelry and hair look like real-time physics objects to me.

He clearly showed Maurice with his clothes parts interacting with each otehrs and with the envinroment when he was doing pushups. he also said the the physics are all dynamic and not pre-animated.

He clearly showed Maurice with his clothes parts interacting with each otehrs and with the envinroment when he was doing pushups. he also said the the physics are all dynamic and not pre-animated. I already said that a page ago. Please read comments in this thread and watch the video next time before saying something that was already answered.

Pretty sure it is not precalculated. It says at the end that they used the Havok physics engine for the game physics and the clothing. Also the dev who held the presentation posted this on his public facebook account:

neubitmap55smucf.jpg

Also they demonstrated the dynamic clothing later on for the people attending the demo:

Thanks

Sorry for the shitty stream pics.

ayIHP8X.png
lSlBK5d.png

Just unbelievable lighting, I still can't believe it. It's photoreal.
I've never been more excited for a new generation.

This is of a very advanced version of the subsurface-scattering. It looks creepy some times. I hope they use it to show extreme scenes like showing the veins of some animals or a foetus or used in their nude scenes ( I hope they show more this time, the technology allows to fully showcase special members ) :p

Here is the first time it was used, look at the veins of the aliens and inside their bodies when they got lit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3oliNPoc8

At that time it was revolutionary (it was a PS3 tech demo too), now it looks laughable compared to The Dark Sorcere !

Top Bottom