• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

DBT85

deep down on ps4 looks great

1eGYS

That's a prototype/devkit controller.

Soi-Fong

Was watching this at my work and when a co-worker passed by, they were like what movie is that and which actor was it. I told them it's a game. He didn't believe me. I said look for yourself and after finding out it was in-game and running realtime on PS4, he immediately went to Amazon ordered a PS4.

FinKL

It was so pixelated in the E3 stream I was watching this, so I skipped it.

Glad I revisited it today. This is it.

Soi-Fong

Would be awesome for Sony to buy QD. Would add to their already stellar line-up of 1st party studios. Add to that that they can share tech with ND and SSM and vice-versa.

I can see this happening soon.

sono

Thanks this seems in a different league to all the other demos. Itis so different it makes you ask.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Thanks this seems in a different league to all the other demos. Itis so different it makes you ask.

I think it's of comparable quality to deep down and agni's philosophy.

A lot of people are counting this gen out just because a lot of stuff is up-rezzed last gen ports....they're going to be in for a huge surprise at the quality we will be getting.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it's of comparable quality to deep down and agni's philosophy.

A lot of people are counting this gen out just because a lot of stuff is up-rezzed last gen ports....they're going to be in for a huge surprise at the quality we will be getting.
Especially since QD has significantly passed all of their tech demos with the full game that follows. This isn't even running on final hardware. While it's true that QD's games are far more controlled experiences than other genres, I expect we're going to see some amazing stuff out of Sony's first party throughout this gen.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Especially since QD has significantly passed all of their tech demos with the full game that follows. This isn't even running on final hardware. While it's true that QD's games are far more controlled experiences than other genres, I expect we're going to see some amazing stuff out of Sony's first party throughout this gen.

Yep. And looking at games like The Last of Us and Uncharted 3, they arguably look better than Quantic Dream's efforts and aren't quite as restricted either.

Heck, InFamous: Second Son looks downright amazing and a clear generational leap, is nearly a launch title, and is open world.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep. And looking at games like The Last of Us and Uncharted 3, they arguably look better than Quantic Dream's efforts and aren't quite as restricted either.

Heck, InFamous: Second Son looks downright amazing and a clear generational leap, is nearly a launch title, and is open world.
I feel like I'm going to be comparing next gen games' amount of unique detail and lighting to TLoU for a while.

And yeah, SS looks incredible and SP isn't even known for being one of the graphical powerhouses.

roMonster

The PS4 splash screen should 'PlaySation' and that goblin dancing/moving/doing push ups--more games youve got, more goblins.

Between this and Deep Down I'm really curious to see 1st Party PS4 efforts. I started wondering though. Why aren't there any tech demos like this for the Xbox One.

Yes, please tell me how the PS4 is "just" a mid to low level PC from 2012 again.

Please show me a mid level PC that pulling this off.

man get out of here with that crap. You speak as if a gtx 670 couldn't run that demo at 60fps and above.

:edit Lets not forget about the Infiltrator tech demo by Unreal which was far bigger in scale than that tech Demo. It looks impressive sure but that's thanks to the skill of the developers, the ps4's hardware isn't that great outside of the design. It's still by comparison a mid to low grade pc. Until I start seeing graphics like that in games with AI and physics all in the package I won't really be impressed with the ps4 hardware wise.

Not sure if this was posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6TiYLwHW4

Some interesting notes:

• Running at 1080p @ 30 FPS, textures are native to 1080p resolution, framerate was not optimized
  • 1st generation of QD's PS4 development cycle
  • They did not use PS4 tools, they used their PS3 development pipelines (same as Beyond) and just used high fidelity assets
  • Only 4GB of dat GDDR5 is being used
  • The set is 1 million polygons
  • The lighting is dynamic as is the shift between the film lighting and the studio lighting, which they are able to shift back and forth within 1 single frame

At the end they move the camera around the set and change between the two different lighting situation. Really impressive.
Rofl!!!! Are you kidding me? only 4gb of ram used? Im guessing even the games showed at e3 were running on 4 as well? I can't imagine what 7 will bring.

Jabba

Banned
man get out of here with that crap. You speak as if a gtx 670 couldn't run that demo at 60fps and above.

:edit Lets not forget about the Infiltrator tech demo by Unreal which was far bigger in scale than that tech Demo. It looks impressive sure but that's thanks to the skill of the developers, the ps4's hardware isn't that great outside of the design. It's still by comparison a mid to low grade pc. Until I start seeing graphics like that in games with AI and physics all in the package I won't really be impressed with the ps4 hardware wise.

I'm with you on this.

Oh boy, this just keeps getting better.

Oh boy, this just keeps getting better.

He has a point but is a bit clueless. The tools are only part of the equation. TA good craftsman is also important. Of course top end PC hardware is more powerful, but there are a lot of talented devs creating stuff for the system. It is part of reason that stuff like GoW:A can hold up to stuff on top end PC hardware. Dev talent, not hardware.

-SD-

Banned
Hopefully this coming week we'll finally get the direct feed clip plus the tech video of this.

Can't wait any longer...

The demo is incredible, but it is a tech demo and from QD, so I'm not interested in whatever semi-gaming QTE experience they have to offer. I'm looking forward to seeing what Naughty Dog can accomplish with this hardware because I want to see what the best next gen conventional game will look like.

CREMSteve

The demo is incredible, but it is a tech demo and from QD, so I'm not interested in whatever semi-gaming QTE experience they have to offer. I'm looking forward to seeing what Naughty Dog can accomplish with this hardware because I want to see what the best next gen conventional game will look like.

Farenheight and Heavy Rain were awesome games, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

One thing no one should deny though, their games always end up looking better than their tech demos do. This alone makes for a very exciting proposition.

velociraptor

PS4 is not a low grade PC. I think it's more akin to a mid-range gaming PC. Also, if we get games which look as good as TLS, I certainly won't be complaining.

Not sure what a GTX670 has got to do with this. Besides, that GPU costs as much as a PS4.

Just because Rocket cars exist doesn't make a Ferrari low end slow cars. Your sense of scale has been skewed by over priced cards that no game developers will ever target.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rofl!!!! Are you kidding me? only 4gb of ram used? Im guessing even the games showed at e3 were running on 4 as well? I can't imagine what 7 will bring.

The 8GB announcement took virtually everybody by surprise.

So, it's no stretch to assume virtually all games shown in playable form were using 4GB as the target.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not sure if this was posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6TiYLwHW4

Some interesting notes:

• Running at 1080p @ 30 FPS, textures are native to 1080p resolution, framerate was not optimized
  • 1st generation of QD's PS4 development cycle
  • They did not use PS4 tools, they used their PS3 development pipelines (same as Beyond) and just used high fidelity assets
  • Only 4GB of dat GDDR5 is being used
  • The set is 1 million polygons
  • The lighting is dynamic as is the shift between the film lighting and the studio lighting, which they are able to shift back and forth within 1 single frame

At the end they move the camera around the set and change between the two different lighting situation. Really impressive.

An amazing demo with brilliant graphics. I really hope some games get to that level of fidelity and image IQ.

Top Bottom