• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The requested features that need to happen: Region switching & PSN ID changing

Yeah, I'd happily pay a fee to change my user name.

I'd also love absolute control over my trophy data including organization and ability to delete games from my list. I wouldn't mind entering my PSN password when I delete them as a security measure.

Fuck you, Trash Panic... :(

kuroshiki

So how does PSN plus come into play with this?

If I'm already PSN plus member for US, does that mean I will be able to freely change the region and still maintain PSN plus membership my original region?

I'm asking this because PSN plus membership is cheaper in US.

IcyEyes

Well guys, I spent MONTHS to talk with everybody I could reach and I got this result : NOTHING :(

I asked to let me merge different regions accounts or change region and I'm ready to pay a fee but no win for me at all.
I don't want to talk about my story, but my main account was created at the day one of the PSN service and I've a ridiculous amount of trophies and platinums (no, I'm not a trophy hunter ...).
So, with the PS4 (probably) I will lose my main account.

Anyway, it's not an urgent issue for Sony, but I will invite all of you to vote here :

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/09/20/allow-changing-psn-account-region/

Thanks

So how does PSN plus come into play with this?

If I'm already PSN plus member for US, does that mean I will be able to freely change the region and still maintain PSN plus membership my original region?

I'm asking this because PSN plus membership is cheaper in US.
PS+ is tied to that account on that region sadly. It would be great if our sub carried across regions. Only in a pipe dream. =/

Vanille

yeah i think trophy removal would be a good idea but username change not as much

think long and hard before choosing a username

This is silly. So anyone who didn't "think long and hard" should be forever stuck with a shitty name just because? I know when I signed up I was in a rush and the thought of coming up with a name I'd still be happy with 10-15 years down the line never really entered my mind.

This isn't asking for the world. ID changing should be a mandatory feature of any modern account system.

Corto

The way multi region account is dealt with now on the PS3 is perfect. You just create an account with an address for that region and you can buy games from that regional store and play them on any account on the system. I only hope they keep that on PS4 and don't go the Vita way.

web01

The way multi region account is dealt with now on the PS3 is perfect. You just create an account with an address for that region and you can buy games from that regional store and play them on any account on the system. I only hope they keep that on PS4 and don't go the Vita way.

Yeah if anything I would be worried they are going to crack down on this.

casnix

Yes! For the love of all that is good in the world. Let us change our IDs and remove 0% games from the trophy list.

Vashetti

Banned
-remove games from your trophy list

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Jarek23

Banned
I've had my PSN name since around 2003, at a time when I could have picked just about anything. I went with Jarek23. While I'm not particularly unhappy with it, I wouldn't mind changing it. Letting us change our usernames is needed and people have been asking for it for a long time.

I'd also like to be able to remove a few 0% trophy counts from my list as well. Tried the game, it sucked and that was that. I want it gone.

Groof

I'm all for this. I'd love to be able to switch username, even if for a fee. More account options would be welcome too, like date of birth, region (as you mentioned) and whatever else you currently can't update. I wouldn't mind losing trophies and making a new friends list, but I've way too many purchased games tied to my account that I'd hate to lose. If they instead would allow a migration of sorts that would also be acceptable.

Removing useless trophy sets would also be amazing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While I can understand why it's necessary given the security breach in 2011, it'd be nice to be able to reset a PSN/SEN account password without needing to provide the date of birth. I haven't used PSN since buying Joe Danger years ago, and so, with my PS4 pre-ordered, the other day I spent a short while getting my PSN accounts in order (i.e. ensuring I could still access them). The issue I encountered is that I'm reasonably certain I have a UK account, but I can't be sure since I don't remember the DOB I supplied when making it (even my JP account, which I never actually used, has my real DOB, so I'm not sure why I apparently chose a random one).

I did have an encrypted file with my all my PSN account details contained therein, but I lost it when the firmware on my SSD suddenly became corrupt. :(

Victarion

I'm moving to another country by the end of summer and I fuckin hate my PSN ID. I'd happily pay to change both the region and ID.

ERC198X

Banned
This is silly. So anyone who didn't "think long and hard" should be forever stuck with a shitty name just because? I know when I signed up I was in a rush and the thought of coming up with a name I'd still be happy with 10-15 years down the line never really entered my mind.

well that's on you dude if you rushed. you weren't forced to. i'll admit having the option is good but still if i had to pick one or the other it would be the trophy option

wilflare

we should really get this movement going. it's gonna make PSN a much better place if all these became true (even if it's just half of them.. it's much better)

(10) is critical on Asian PlayStation consoles.. some R1 games have Accept/Cancel locked to X/O respectively... (on Asian consoles, O is Accept, X is Cancel... so basically we are stuck at some games)

just thought of more to add/edit

(1) Change ID
(2) Change Region
(3) Unified Store
(4) Download List filters
(5) Wish list
(6) Gifting
(7) Trophies/Game List management
(8) Sub to Master account upgrade
(9) Unified DLC (no region-specific DLC)
(10) Option to interchange between X/O as Accept/Cancel

but to make things simpler
#PSNChangeRegion sounds good

we should really get this movement going. it's gonna make PSN a much better place if all these became true (even if it's just half of them.. it's much better)

(10) is critical on Asian PlayStation consoles.. some R1 games have Accept/Cancel locked to X/O respectively... (on Asian consoles, O is Accept, X is Cancel... so basically we are stuck at some games)

#PSNChangeRegion and #PSNChangeID sound like good hashtags to start using, then. We aren't the only ones who are demanding these features. Since E3, I've seen at least 4 other threads pop up about these two things...and probably from people without influence from this thread, too.

Twitter isn't the only place to get this moving, though. NeoGAF alone has great influence. But I'll tell you what proably doesn't have any influence: the SCEA share.blog site. How long have there been "suggestions" for these very things on there? Years. It's just a site from the America division to give an illusion. To really get things implemented there needs to be critical and more professional outlets from likewise people, not random "PSN users".

Microsoft has implemented these two features, which means there is a big reason they are there. I've watched PSN slowly play catch up during the years, and these two are among the most important to "round off" the featureset to satisfaction. They are necessary, and not decoration. Let the decoration come later.

Usobuko

Banned
Signed. I am one of the few who bemoan the less than stellar offerings of Asia PS+.

There are so many games that don't have a R3 version for the Vita. How do you expect me to play them Sony? I'm not buying a Vita for decoration. Either you take away the region restriction on Vita's memory card or you allow me to change my PSN region. The former would be a my preference but hey, I'll take either at this point.

cripterion

Thanks OP! Thanks to this thread finally changed my xbox account from Taiwan to France. Didn't know it was possible now, tried countless times back in the day...

I hate region restrictions, you start to realize how much penalizing it is once you move and live in different countries, it really hits you.

hesido

Oh, and how about listing your paid games separately from your downloaded demos?

Your download list could be categorized: Those that need a store checkout (will include free full games), DLC, and the rest (demos, themes, etc.)

Freak

#makePSNbetter with a clear list of top ten requested features would be nice.
and a www.makePSNbetter.com or something like that

(1) Change ID
(2) Change Region
(3) Unified Store
(4) Download List filters
(5) Wish list
(6) Gifting
(7) Clean list (trophies/etc)
(8) Sub to Master account upgrade

Great thread, all of the above issues would be sweet :)
Especially point 8 for both my kids who are now at an age where they want to be independent from my master account, and who don't want to start over again from scratch with their trophy collections. :)
Do it Sony, c'mon you know you just want to make us all happy :)

Signed. I am one of the few who bemoan the less than stellar offerings of Asia PS+.

There are so many games that don't have a R3 version for the Vita. How do you expect me to play them Sony? I'm not buying a Vita for decoration. Either you take away the region restriction on Vita's memory card or you allow me to change my PSN region. The former would be a my preference but hey, I'll take either at this point.

Asia/Hong Kong PSN seems to get a mixture of NA, EU and JP content, but not really close to all of any. So if you lean towards either side in your taste, you'll be shorthanded.
With region switching though, the preference can be changed on the fly (well, with monthly limit I would assume)...without losing all of your account's purchases, trophies, friends list, etc. The real killer is that Vita content is locked to one account. That content can't be used on a new account. Would have to re-buy everything.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've wanted to change my ID for 4 years.

It's amazing how backwards PSN was when it launched. It's better, but still not where it needs to be. On the other hand, not many services allow changes like this.

I'd rather use my real name TBH.

-remove games from your trophy list

I just realized you could do this on XBL. Like, 3 days ago.

Octacamo

would defiantly want to change my region.

has anyone asked about this to Yoshida san yet? whether this will be doable with ps4 launch or not?

DBT85

Not bothered about region changing. personally but I know it matters to a lot.

But my display name NEEDS to be able to change to something.

I don't care if I have to keep the same PSN ID, let me have a display name which I can set to something else. That's all I ask.

halfbeast

Banned
no, the modern thing would be to have just one psn store. no regions, no bullshit. if it's a japanese game, you can get it. if it gets localized (translated), it's just a patch away.

but this will never happen.

changing region should definitely be there, because people move to other countries. but I wouldn't use that feature to get other regions content on my main account. just because of one silly game I'm stuck with that region for the next 6 months? nope.

another issue I have with games from "other regions" are the X/O thing. I use a japanese ps3 and couldn't play SH: Homecoming. opening doors was a pain, because he kept punching it. in Trine 2 I can't level up my skills, no button accepts the changes I do.

the Vita's system is a whole other can of worms.

but basically, my only demand is: Sony, add features - don't take them away!

softie

What about the content not available in a specific region you switch to? Is it lost forever? How is it implemented on XBL? When I switch back, will I get back my purchases not available on the formerly switched account? I don't wanna lose purchases...

Curufinwe

You can only remove 360 games from your Achievement list if you never got an Achievement in them. If you (or in the case of a FIFA hack, someone else using your account) got a single Achievement in a game, then it's on your profile forever.

What Sony really needs to do is to prevent games from appearing on your Trophy list when you have 0% of the Trophies. Two games that I know did that were Demon's Souls and Super Stardust HD. SSHD actually did it just from playing the demo, which was extra scummy.

ethomaz

Banned
My biggest complain is about the region switching... I created my account in US because the BR didn't have the PSN yet but today I want to change my country to BR without lost all my 45 Platinum trophies.

Or a region switching or some type of merge account (so I can create a BR one and transfer all the US data to BR).

Sinthor

Gold Member
PSN ID changing could be a little backwards now, considering that Sony is moving towards a network based on real names.

Real names are fine for an ID even. But we need to have "handles" or nicknames or whatever you want to call them, to be identified in games. Who really wants to be the dark sorcerer "Bill Smith" in Dark Souls, for example? No, I want to be able to have a different name identify me in games.

I think there's some confusion surrounding this because of how PS3 games currently use your PSN ID to identify you in multi-player games. The PSN ID can be unchanged or be my real name or whatever, for all I care. I just would prefer to be 'The dark sorcerer Elroth" in a game versus being called "Dave Srczynski" or whatever my 'real name' happens to be. I don't see why this is so firkin hard for Sony. Especially since they're saying that while you can't change your PSN ID, you CAN now be known by your full real name on the PS4 in games. If I can still be A$$gr3bbin69 for my PSN ID but now be called "Dave Srczynski" in a game, why can't they let me be "The dark sorcerer Elroth?" Sony needs to get with the 21st Century. At LEAST give us nicknames or handles if they won't let us change our actual PSN ID's. But even that...every web site and system I've logged into for almost the past 10 YEARS has allowed me to change my user name and logon. It's just so ridiculous.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's called taking advantage of your situation, Sony is a corporation and their main goal is to make money. PS+ ensures customer retention if it is required and is a service that I haven't heard a single person hate who has used it. Maybe if Microsoft hadn't set the bar so high for douchebaggery Sony wouldn't have had the balls to do this.

Whole lot of words for defending a bullshit move. =/ No matter how you slice it, making PS+ mandatory for multiplayer is complete bullshit. While all of the other stuff in this thread is nice, it all pales in comparison to the real bullshit Sony laid in our laps. =(

Why are we so eager to just sit back and take it? I don't understand it. Taking a great, optional service and making it mandatory no longer makes it great. It's bullshit.

I was gifted a US version of a Kindle book.

I couldn't download it to my UK account, obviously.

However, in the space of 5 minutes, I was able to change my region to US (without the need of a proxy), download the book, revert back to my UK region and still have the book be available.

It's the most unobtrusive thing in the world and I still have access to both the UK books and the US book without needing to switch back and forth.

I know Sony may have other issues to consider but I'm going to be moving to live in the US next year. I don't even need to switch regions every 5 minutes, but I would like to be able to access the existing content I have bought, the trophies I have earned and my friend list and be able to purchase new content from the new region. I don't think it's a ridiculous request or even a really rare situation.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Any news about the region switch, ID name change, etc ?
Not happening.

Is there a way to rename my Online ID on PS4?

No. But PS4 does give you the option of allowing your friends to see your real name in addition to your Online ID. You can also choose to import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture if you wish.

Am I able to buy PlayStation Store content from other regions?

We recommend that people buy from the PlayStation Store in the region in which they signed up in order to ensure the best experience and customer support.

Also:
Can my child’s PS3 sub-account be changed to a master account on PS4 once they are past the age of 18?

Unfortunately, no. In this case, we would advise creating a new master account. We apologize for the inconvenience.

blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Yeah the two things in the OP are no-brainers. Now that we have all of this paid content tied to our PSN account, that account needs to be able to change in line with us as time passes, otherwise there's a disincentive to purchasing the content through such an account. Our PSN account should be flexible, not a weight around our neck. It's always clear in threads like these that people are content to pay a small fee for that flexibility and understand why that might be necessary to avoid frivolous overuse/abuse of such systems. But the desire for these things in the community is demonstrated time after time whenever the subject is broached here at GAF (and it's brought up frequently). Sony need to be devoting resources to this stuff if they want to have happy customers.

A perhaps more esoteric but equally useful feature would be to add the option to de-frag the HDD.
That would be a nice technical feature, especially as we move towards more and more data being downloaded to these drives.

SSReborn

Make it so I can upgrade a sub account. I really shouldn't have to managing my little cousins purchases when he is old enough to do so now.

I wanna be able to unlock his profile from mine, and have the same benefits as an average user.

hesido

Don't remember if I posted here but:

Upgrading sub-accounts to master accounts.

Many people who have started gaming on the PS3 with sub-accounts, if they have done the good thing and not lied of course, are now eligible for master accounts, free from limitations by the master account holders. They should NOT be forced to get new PSN id's.

Top Bottom