• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time.

BadAss2961

It's not.

On the PS3, you can have your account activated on TWO machines and all users on both machines have access to all of it.

On the PS4, you can have all of your content on ONE machine and all users have access to it (including online play) AND you can log into ANY other machine and access your OWN content.
Sounds much easier to keep it this way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I edited my post. The person on the system where the licenses reside can be logged in as any user (his wife) and play the purchased games. Like on 360
That's where my main line of inquiry lies as the system PS3 used is nothing like 360's since you can have the account on 2 units. One home unit and another secondary unit. He does not state whether or not you need or can be logged in to the same account on 2 systems in order to play. I'm leaning towards the same system in place on PS3 because we have no words to lean it enough the other way until we get clarity.

What this whole thing does is basically make it a pain for people in separate households to game share because of the whole purchaser account thing.

Idk about you, but I wouldn't make my account's primary system at my siblings house just so that we can split he cost of games

That's the thing you can do on the current system with the sharing system. There is no "making a system the primary". There's 2 activation's. Both are considered primary's. There's isn't enough in the sentence to lean the way of saying this isn't the traditional sharing system though. That's what I would like clarity on since I heavily used this feature but have toned it back since the revision to 2 shares instead of 5.

You can play the same game at the same time as long as you're logged into two different accounts

I want to agree with you but am not jumping to one conclusion. I will restate that he didn't really say any of that but from the looks of the short words, it sounds like you can have 2 account activation's like the current PS3 system.

Metfanant

So I can't play my brothers digital games on my PS4 without being logged onto his account and vice versa? If this is the case I'm cancelling our pre-orders.

Fix this Sony.

Easy work around....

1. you make YOUR "home" console the console he is going to primarily use...
2. you make HIS "home" console the one that YOU are going to primarily use...

both of you can use all of the content you each purchase...

- there is nothing to "fix" this is DRM...its just plain going to be this way from here on out...publishers need to protect their content somehow...

Sounds much easier to keep it this way.
easier? maybe....but not financially beneficial to the developers in any way...

That's where my main line of inquiry lies as the system PS3 used is nothing like 360's since you can have the account on 2 units. One home unit and another secondary unit. He does not state whether or not you need or can be logged in to the same account on 2 systems in order to play. I'm leaning towards the same system in place on PS3 because we have no words to lean it enough the other way until we get clarity.

That's the thing you can do on the current system with the sharing system. There is no "making a system the primary". There's 2 activation's. Both are considered primary's. There's isn't enough in the sentence to lean the way of saying this isn't the traditional sharing system though. That's what I would like clarity on since I heavily used this feature but have toned it back since the revision to 2 shares instead of 5.
i think based on what was said its pretty clear that the OLD (PS3) way of sharing is gone...you've got a home console where EVERYONE can access the content...and then you can sign in on other consoles and access YOUR content...but once youre account is logged out...the content wont work...

UNCMark

Banned
I was done, but you can also access the content of whoever has that PS4 as their home.

If it helps, think of it as you can only "activate" your account on your one home console.

...and you can also log into any other, which is the advantage of the new system.

Question then becomes how often can you change the console that is activated. MS started off allowing you to change it once a year, then it became twice a year, and now I believe it's once every 4 months.

Cartman86

Banned
PS3 style game sharing is gone people.

These will probably be the ways to "share" with a friend who also owns a PS4.

Based on that Knack information Sony makes it sound like hardware licences are not title dependent like 360 so you will need to specify a HOME console for all content.

1. The always connected way. Set your friend as the Home console for your account. They will then have offline access to your purchased content, but you will have to be signed in at all times on your own console.

2. The crazy trade Home consoles and accounts way. Set your account;s Home console as your friends PS4 hardware. Have you friend do the same but with his account and your PS4. Purchase your games using your friends account that now has your PS4 assigned as the Home console. Your friend's PS4 will be able to play those games (your games you decided to purchase) when signed into PSN using their own account. Even though those games were purchased using your friends account since your console is assigned as his Home console you will have full offline access so you can sign into your profile and get trophies etc. So you basically have all the rights of the owner even though it was purchased on someone elses account. Obviously you'll want to be putting your money'/credit card information into your friend's account. Your friend will do the same on their end. If you go to another friends house or buy another PS4 and want to play your games you will need to sign into your friends account where you games were purchased. I'm unsure if you will then be able to sign into your own profile on a second controller like 360 though. Yeah it's convoluted.

3. The way you have always been able to do. Give them your username and password so when you are at work or something they can log in and play games. If it's like 360 they can log you in on a second controller, connect to PSN, and then sign in their own account as the primary player so they can get their own trophies and saves. This is not ideal in the slightest. It's possible it is not like the 360 and you will only be able to play those games using your friends account. Anyone know the answer to that?

Either way it requires sharing passwords, not really owning your content, or being connected at all times. None of it is ideal.

frizby

LOL ... this thread.

Just look at it this way: PS+ will be available to two consoles 'simultaneously'. I'm not narrowing this down to PS+ so please don't go off at yet another strange tangent, I'm just using it as an example. Currently my son can play any content I get free on PS+ as long as he's playing on my console. This will allow him to play the content I downloaded from PS+ on his console at home as long as he uses my account, EVEN if I'm still using my PS4 when he does that.

Hate to say it, but I think you're slightly mistaken. Your account can't be active on both at the same time. You'll be signed out of one.

The way to do what you want to do is to make his console your account's home.

LiquidMetal14

Question then becomes how often can you change the console that is activated. MS started off allowing you to change it once a year, then it became twice a year, and now I believe it's once every 4 months.

You can change it at will on PS3. I don't suspect any different on PS3. I can also deactivate any unit on the SEN website right now so if I mess up and give my creds to someone who two-faced me I can deactivate his unit from the web browser.

PS3 style game sharing is gone people

Did he say that though? For someone like me who might be doing this with another person it's definitely relevant. It's not a big deal as long as I can access my own stuff on multiple units.

This is what's listed for Knack

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/cid=UP9000-CUSA00068_00-KNACK00000000000

The DRM is more restrictive than PS3, the same as 360.

The question is then what can Yoshida say to clarify since he's making it sound like 2 people can play the same game on 2 units.

UNLESS it's like certain games on PS3 which cannot be shared and we know we've seen that before so we can't jump the gun just based on Knack.

I'd rather Sony put out something a bit more official than a condensed tweet. Tweeting stuff like this only leads to interpretation problems.

Designate each other's consoles as your "home". Done.

Easy work around....

1. you make YOUR "home" console the console he is going to primarily use...
2. you make HIS "home" console the one that YOU are going to primarily use...

both of you can use all of the content you each purchase...

- there is nothing to "fix" this is DRM...its just plain going to be this way from here on out...publishers need to protect their content somehow...

And then be forced to be online at all times? Why change it from the way it is now on the PS3 and Vita?

Currently we can both play GTA V on our consoles with two separate accounts offline without have to designate one console as our "home" system. This is a HUGE step backwards for Sony who's been pro-consumer as of late.

LiquidMetal14

Is the PS4 like the Xbox One where if one account has PS+ all accounts have PS+?

Yes. As soon as the Plus account leaves then the rest lose access. I don't really care about that feature as I use my main account all the time on my own unit. I don't know of anyone who has 10 accounts and one with PSN just to piggyback off each other. I'm sure there's some out there but they are definitely in the minority.

PS3: Can download a game for max 2 consoles and can play offline on both or can play online with any account logged in.

PS4: Can download on unlimited amount of consoles but can play offline or can play online with any account logged in on home console only. Need to be logged in owner account on all other consoles.

So the system is better and worse at the same time but in my opinion still remains fair.
I'm curious if that means just having the credentials saved or being logged in literally.

I need the whole picture... Because Yoshida says one thing, and Mortimer elaborates on it to another level.

One person is Yoshida, the other is not a Sony employee. Right now it's not clear enough but I will take Yoshida's word over mortimer any day.

Peeete

PS3: Can download a game for max 2 consoles and can play offline on both or can play online with any account logged in.

PS4: Can download on unlimited amount of consoles but can play offline or can play online with any account logged in on home console only. Need to be logged in owner account on all other consoles.

So the system is better and worse at the same time but in my opinion still remains fair.

BadAss2961

yosp.png
I need the whole picture... Because Yoshida says one thing, and Mortimer elaborates on it to another level.

Bazooka

Banned
It's not.

On the PS3, you can have your account activated on TWO machines and all users on both machines have access to all of it.

On the PS4, you can have all of your content on ONE machine and all users have access to it (including online play) AND you can log into ANY other machine and access your OWN content.

The only person that gets it lol.

I'll try to simplify for people still not getting it.

You have 2 PS4s

You have 2 Seperate Accounts

Now account one logs into ps4 1 loads all his games and has ps+

Now you give that ps4 to a friend and they can now play all your ps4 games and play online with there own account. They never touch your account again because it will boot you off.

Now you take out your second ps4 reload your account on this console and reload all of your games. You now have access to everything you own as long as you are online.

This is great if both people want to use 2 Seperate accounts to play the same game at the same time.

The downfall is you have to always be online to access any of your content on the second ps4.

Where people are getting confused is that with ps3 you were able to activate your games twice. This will not be the case.your games will be linked to the console you purchased them on and your personal psn account.

So to use this method you are joing the always online drm future you have been fighting against. Welcome Brothers.

Metfanant

Did he say that though? For someone like me who might be doing this with another person it's definitely relevant. It's not a big deal as long as I can access my own stuff on multiple units.
that is implied based on what he has said, yes..

The question is then what can Yoshida say to clarify since he's making it sound like 2 people can play the same game on 2 units.

yes, using DIFFERENT PSN ID's...my brother can play MY content on MY PS4 using HIS PSN...at the same time i can be on HIS PS4 playing my content...

LiquidMetal14

The only person that gets it lol.

I'll try to simplify for people still not getting it.

You have 2 PS4s

You have 2 Seperate Accounts

Now account one logs into ps4 1 loads all his games and has ps+

Now you give that ps4 to a friend and they can now play all your ps4 games and play online with there own account. They never touch your account again because it will boot you off.

Now you take out your second ps4 reload your account on this console and reload all of your games. You now have access to everything you own as long as you are online.

This is great if both people want to use 2 Seperate accounts to play the same game at the same time.

The downfall is you have to always be online to access any of your content on the second ps4.
All this is not what Yoshida said though. That short sentence does not compute with your long interpretation. He said

yosp.png

that is implied based on what he has said, yes..

yes, using DIFFERENT PSN ID's...my brother can play MY content on MY PS4 using HIS PSN...at the same time i can be on HIS PS4 playing my content...

UNLESS it's like certain games on PS3 which cannot be shared and we know we've seen that before so we can't jump the gun just based on Knack.
[/QUOTE]

This sounds like it to me as well. It's not official but I'm on your page.

Why you link to some site and don't read all?

What I was responding to is that some specific games are not allowed to be shared. Mainly big titles. That's why I called out that specific part but thanks for also adding that.

This is a brilliant blow against Xbox Live.

Not that it matters but it's been like that for years so I don't see it as a new argument "dick waving" victory now but as sensitive as things are people want to cheer everything and anything.

Yoday

If you want to share a game, get the physical copy. Expecting them to continue basically giving you two copies of a digital game is unrealistic.

Play your game with any account or offline on the primary console

or...

Play the game with any PS4 when logged on with the account that bought the game.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I think all he is saying is, your Console A can be in use by anyone (with an account on the system), while you play on Console B signed into your main account. Two separate accounts.

Say your wife is playing a game you purchased on Console A, signed in on her account, and since it's Console A anyone with a local account can play on it.

Why you link to some site and don't read all?
I can read fine.

You have 2 systems you can be activated on (just like on PS3). Console A and Console B. Console A has no restrictions. Any account on Console A can play any content on Console A.

Console B, you must be signed in to the account that purchased the content to play.

I want to agree with you but am not jumping to one conclusion. I will restate that he didn't really say any of that but from the looks of the short words, it sounds like you can have 2 account activation's like the current PS3 system.

Maybe you didn't read the news earlier this week about the phrasing currently on the PSN Store for PS4 game preorders?

Am2wYEu.jpg

If you want to share a game, get the physical copy. Expecting them to continue basically giving you two copies of a digital game is unrealistic.

Play your game with any account or offline on the primary console

or...

Play the game with any PS4 when logged on with the account that bought the game.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

How is it unrealistic if this is what Sony is currently doing with the two system activation limit on the PS3 and Vita?

I can't believe there are people defending this.

Bazooka

Banned
No it does work with what I said. The content is linked to the first playstation. So the wife can play the game using HER account.

Now the husband has to SIGN IN to access the same content on the second playstation and then they can PLAY at the same time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
1/ You download a game on your PS4

2/ Someone else signs into your account and downloads it too (on another PS4)

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously. (no need for either of you to sign out to let the other play)

That's how simple I'm seeing this.

LiquidMetal14

Maybe you didn't read the news earlier this week about the phrasing currently on the PSN Store for PS4 game preorders?

Am2wYEu.jpg

captureyjawf.png

Now, let me restate for the 3rd time. This might be a special case for Knack but the wording is there as plain as day. I don't really care but as I noted to alright's post earlier, some PS3 games cannot be shared. This might be the case with Knack but it does not bespoke of the situation with all PS4 games just due to how Knack is worded despite what I just outlined in my capture above.

So this means either Knack is restricted or you can maybe have 2 accounts logged into 2 consoles concurrently. Or not but Yoshida didn't clarify enough.

My wife is excited there is a GAF thread that is mentioning "Dangerwife" but I'm with the people that say that we don't get any definitive info out of Shu. Because if we did... I would have made the thread myself since I'm the one that asked him.

Metfanant

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously.

No....only on the HOME console would both accounts be able to access it....if you both want to be playing at the same time YOU (the purchaser) would need to be logged in on the other PS4

captureyjawf.png

Now, let me restate for the 3rd time. This might be a special case for Knack but the wording is there as plain as day. I don't really care but as I noted to alright's post earlier, some PS3 games cannot be shared. This might be the case with Knack but it does not bespoke of the situation with all PS4 games just due to how Knack is worded despite what I just outlined in my capture above.

I've never had a situation in which a game could not be shared on PS3. Meh, we'll find out in a month

lucius

2/ Someone else signs into your account and downloads it too

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously.

Ok this makes sense and probably better for game devolopers protecting content since you really don't want to give your ID info to anyone but close family members.

frizby

captureyjawf.png

So this means either Knack is restricted or you can maybe have 2 accounts logged into 2 consoles concurrently. Or not but Yoshida didn't clarify enough.

VIDEO FOR ANYBODY WHO DOESN'T GET THIS

Watch from :45 to 1:20

Yes, it's an official PS channel. Yes, it's all content. No, I don't know how else to explain it.

UNCMark

Banned

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously. (no need for either of you to sign out to let the other play)

Your account can't be signed in at the same time. Therefore the user in (2) will be unable to use the games if you're back home on the activated machine playing online.

LiquidMetal14

I've never had a situation in which a game could not be shared on PS3. Meh, we'll find out in a month

It's been a while but I did. Unless Sony changed their system for PS3 which might be true. A friend of mine shared some big retail games with me including something like Nino Kuni. Years back certain games had that 24 hour limit which I think Sony did away with when they went to the 2 activation system.

VIDEO FOR ANYBODY WHO DOESN'T GET THIS

Watch from :45 to 1:20

Yes, it's an official PS channel. Yes, it's all content. No, I don't know how else to explain it.

Thanks for the link.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

That's how PS3 works, not how PS4 supposedly works.

game sharing is a definitive need for me. Otherwise early adopting is out of the scheme for me and a friend of mine. it may have looked like an exploit, but it was about the true and only fair digital pricing scheme, considering you're essentially splitting the costs in two, which would be roughly what Sony would get from a retail game anyways, given the retailer cut, the printing, the distribution and all that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No....only on the HOME console would both accounts be able to access it....if you both want to be playing at the same time YOU (the purchaser) would need to be logged in on the other PS4

I'm getting so confused here. Why are you disagreeing? That's what I just said:

Top Bottom