• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm getting so confused here. Why are you disagreeing? That's what I just said:

1/ You download a game on your PS4

2/ Someone else signs into your account and downloads it too (on another PS4)

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously. (no need for either of you to sign out to let the other play)

No, you're not getting it. That's how it works on PS3.

Bazooka

Banned

3/ You now both have access to the same content simultaneously. (no need for either of you to sign out to let the other play)

He would have to log into your account first and buy it and then YOU could redownload on your ps4. If you don't do it this way your "family member" will never be able to play.

UNCMark

Banned
game sharing is a definitive need for me. Otherwise early adopting is out of the scheme for me and a friend of mine. it may have looked like an exploit, but it was about the true and only fair digital pricing scheme, considering you're essentially splitting the costs in two, which would be roughly what Sony would get from a retail game anyways, given the retailer cut, the printing, the distribution and all that.

You can still share, just not with the same account. And one of you always has to be logged in using the purchaser's account(the person using the PS4 that the games were not purchased on). The other user has to be using a different account on the PS4 on which the games were bought.

except the OP title is "PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time." while there's no actual proof nor a single hint in Yosp tweet that this is the case. There's not gonna be two GribbleGrunger guys at the same time online.

You can still share, just not with the same account. And one of you always has to be logged in using the purchaser's account(the person using the PS4 that the games were not purchased on). The other user has to be using a different account on the PS4 on which the games were bought.

yeah, the whole let's make our "home consoles" the "other console". It's complicated and fairly unnecessary in my eyes. The system worked pretty well, why change it? :C

BadAss2961

My wife is excited there is a GAF thread that is mentioning "Dangerwife" but I'm with the people that say that we don't get any definitive info out of Shu. Because if we did... I would have made the thread myself since I'm the one that asked him.
What exactly did you ask him?

Twitter format confuses the shit out of me since I don't use it myself.

frizby

except the OP title is "PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time." while there's no actual proof nor a single hint in Yosp tweet that this is the case. There's not gonna be two GribbleGrunger guys at the same time online.

The thread title is incorrect.

Metfanant

because you're missing the key part...

- I download a game on MY (home) PS4

- Someone else signs into MY account and downloads it too (on THEIR PS4)

- They CANNOT play that game on THEIR PS4...unless they are signed into MY PSN name

- They CAN play that game on MY PS4 using their PSN name

UNCMark

Banned

Yeah, the subject of the thread should be changed. It's false. Two people can play the same licensed game at the same time using different accounts is more accurate.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

- They CANNOT play that game on THEIR PS4...unless they are signed into MY PSN name

Yoshida said none of that though. And as I noted before, this system worked with almost all games on PS3 except a few but I had a few experiences with some games which had a lock. Warhawk comes to mind but that was years ago.

UNCMark

Banned
yeah, the whole let's make our "home consoles" the "other console". It's complicated and fairly unnecessary in my eyes. The system worked pretty well in my eyes.

The old system favored the user and not the publisher. This method favors the publisher, as it probably should.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

lol. I'm not missing the key point. Why do you think I wrote this:

(no need for either of you to sign out to let the other play)

Metfanant

Yoshida said none of that though. And as I noted before, this system worked with almost all games on PS3 except a few but I had a few experiences with some games which had a lock. Warhawk comes to mind but that was years ago.
its the only way it can work...the system worked on the PS3 and was abused...this is a more restrictive system...

because it still wont work that way! lol...im going to assume you cant both be signed into the same account at the same time....which means that you CANNOT access the same content on two different consoles at the same time...

your friend would have to be on YOUR console using HIS account...and you on HIS console using YOUR account

frizby

yeah, the whole let's make our "home consoles" the "other console". It's complicated and fairly unnecessary in my eyes. The system worked pretty well, why change it? :C

They wanted your account to be more "mobile" than it is now and decided Xbox had a better system for facilitating that.

It's also more publisher friendly, as previously noted.

I like it.

BadAss2961

While I get how this would work, I don't see how people are assuming it based on Yoshida's tweet. Yoshida's tweet isn't even clear enough for me to confirm that they're changing the way it works on PS3.

Again, someone at Sony needs to address this.

Tripolygon

Banned
Umm what Yoshida is saying is you can sign in to your account on 2 PS4 consoles simultaneously and play games at the same time. PS3 and PS Vita remains the same is terms of policy.

Metfanant

While I get how this would work, I don't see how people are assuming it based on Yoshida's tweet. Yoshida's tweet isn't even clear enough for me to confirm that they're changing the way it works on PS3.

its a combination of Shu's tweet and the disclaimer for Knack

Umm what Yoshida is saying is you can sign in to your account on 2 console simultaneously and play the same game at the same time.

no

Bazooka

Banned

One account cannot be logged in at 2 locations at the same time. It will boot the account off when you login again. Now the playstation that had the GAME bought on it will allow anyone to play. You are also able to play your copy of the game on any ps4 as long as the purchasing ACCOUNT IS LOGGED IN. This is not hard to understand. All you have to do is read the knack photo for the terms of service and it tells you this CLEAR AS DAY. At this point I take any more misunderstanding as trolling. I'm out.

UNCMark

Banned

You have to take the two tweets in conjunction to get the full picture.

Oh man we will not really know until we get to test it out after launch

Not at all. We know right now. It's the 360 method with the added benefit of PS+ being available to every single account on the "home" system.

LiquidMetal14

no

Again, you also have to understand that PS3 games also have certain limitations and most games can be shared with the exception of a few. This confirms nor denies nothing.

If you had as much experience as I have with sharing then you would know. I've seen the 24 hour message on certain games but that was before the policy change. It may now be everything that is shareable on 2 accounts.

frizby

Umm what Yoshida is saying is you can sign in to your account on 2 console simultaneously and play games at the same time.

No. He isn't. He's saying that she can log onto his home PS4 with her account and he can log his account into another PS4.

He didn't express it terribly well, but it's twitter and English is a second language, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm posting this until it sinks in (apologies in advance):

VIDEO FOR ANYBODY WHO DOESN'T GET THIS

Watch from :45 to 1:20

Yes, it's an official PS channel. Yes, it's all content. No, I don't know how else to explain it.

Metfanant

no he is saying famousmortimer's wife (Dangerwife) can sign into HIS PS4 with HER account and play HIS games...he can then sign into HER PS4 with HIS account and play HIS games...they will not both be using famousmortimer's account at the same time....different accounts, same content...

UNCMark

Banned
Again, you also have to understand that PS3 games also have certain limitations and most games can be shared with the exception of a few. This confirms nor denies nothing.

If you had as much experience as I have with sharing then you would know. I've seen the 24 hour message on certain games but that was before the policy change. It may now be everything that is shareable on 2 accounts.

I have 8 years of experience with this new method. You can still share. Just not as easily as you could on PS3. MS bans for abusing it. I wonder what steps Sony will take to address abuses.

no he is saying famousmortimer's wife (Dangerwife) can sign into HIS PS4 with HER account and play HIS games...he can then sign into HER PS4 with HIS account and play HIS games...they will not both be using famousmortimer's account at the same time....different accounts, same content...

He can also play her games on her PS4.

Tripolygon

Banned
No. He isn't. He's saying that she can log onto his home PS4 with her account and he can log his account into another PS4.

He didn't express it terribly well, but it's twitter and English is a second language, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm posting this until it sinks in (apologies in advance):

Yes, it's an official PS channel. Yes, it's all content. No, I don't know how else to explain it.
We'll have to agree to disagree and wait till further clarification or until Nov 15th.

LiquidMetal14

I have 8 years of experience with this new method. You can still share. Just not as easily as you could on PS3. MS bans for abusing it. I wonder what steps Sony will take to address abuses.

I would like to get something more official but as you and others noted, it's in the Knack page but I can't take that for all games. I don't really care as I only share to be nice and use my own units mainly. It would be nice if it was still the same.

Seriously? Did you watch the video? The one I posted? The one from Sony?

I still don't think that's discussing anything about sharing so for good or naught, it's not specific enough. I don't really care as I said but this is definitely of interest. If I can still share then I will. If not then I simply won't and won't lose sleep over it.

Metfanant

I

correct!....which is why i explained before...if you're going to try and "share" games with a "friend"...then you should make your "home" console the one that your "friend" is going to primarily be gaming on...and vice versa...

BadAss2961

One-time license fee for downloads to up to 2 console systems that are associated with the purchasing account.
"Associated with the purchasing account" could also mean the purchasing account being left on both consoles. Just like how it works on PS3.

But we'll see, I guess.

Tripolygon

Banned
yosp.png
You're wrong.

So @DangerWife can Play on Mortimer's HOME designated console which is signed in of course because PS4 is always connected to PSN while Mortimer can sign in to another PS4 and play at the same time. There is no mention of her having to sign into her own account on the home designated console.

UNCMark

Banned
correct!....which is why i explained before...if you're going to try and "share" games with a "friend"...then you should make your "home" console the one that your "friend" is going to primarily be gaming on...and vice versa...

As long as you have reliable internet service, this is the way to go.

UNCMark

Banned
You're wrong.

So @DangerWife can Play on Mortimer's HOME designated console which is signed in of course because PS4 is always connected to PSN while Mortimer can sign in to another PS4 and play at the same time.

She can play logged in on his console as HER, not as him.

Cartman86

Banned
Thinking about it some more and based on that Knack information Sony makes it sound like hardware licences are not title dependent like 360 so you will need to specify a HOME console for all the content you purchase.

So would this scenario work?

Set your personal account's Home console as your friends PS4 hardware. Have your friend do the same but with their account and your PS4. Purchase your games using your friends account that now has your PS4 assigned as the Home console. Your friend's PS4 will be able to play those games (the games you purchased with your money) when signed into PSN using their own account. Even though those games were purchased using your friends account you will have full offline access so you can sign into your profile and get trophies etc (because your console is set as the Home console). So you basically have all the rights of the owner even though it was purchased on someone elses account. Obviously you'll want to be putting your money'/credit card information into your friend's account. Your friend will do the same on their end.

The downside with all of this (other than sharing passwords) is If you go to another friends house or buy another PS4 and want to play your games you will need to sign into your friends account. I'm unsure if you will then be able to sign into your own profile on a second controller (to get your own saves and trophies) like 360 though.

Yeah it's convoluted and you lose even more of the concept of "owning" things since all your content will technically be on your friends account. I would never do it, but someone might I suppose. Also is this legal?

frizby

I would like to get something more official

Like the official UK PlayStation channel?

I still don't think that's discussing anything about sharing so for good or naught, it's not specific enough. I don't really care as I said but this is definitely of interest. If I can still share then I will. If not then I simply won't and won't lose sleep over it.

From the video: "At the same time, you can nominate ONE PS4 as your home machine"

On PS3, you would call this "activated", and as you know, you get two.

UNCMark

Banned
Show me where he says HER account in that sentence.

Oh he doesn't. He's unclear and should know better. The video makes it crystal clear how it works.

Thinking about it some more and based on that Knack information Sony makes it sound like hardware licences are not title dependent like 360 so you will need to specify a HOME console for all the content you purchase.
Yeah, the home console thing makes it more restrictive than 360/Xbox One. On 360 you can buy games on any other console, essentially making tht console the "home" console for that game.

LiquidMetal14

Like the official UK PlayStation channel?

From the video: "At the same time, you can nominate ONE PS4 as your home machine"

On PS3, you would call this "activated", and as you know, you get two.

That doesn't answer all the questions nor is it in a FAQ somewhere. Right now we know how it works on PS3. It's not clear enough yet despite your continuous spamming of that video as if the buck stops there. I don't want to go in circles so I will wait for clarity. No need to respond as there is nothing to say and I've exhausted all my points.

Metfanant

Set your personal account's Home console as your friends PS4 hardware. Have your friend do the same but with their account and your PS4. Purchase your games using your friends account that now has your PS4 assigned as the Home console. Your friend's PS4 will be able to play those games (the games you purchased with your money) when signed into PSN using their own account. Even though those games were purchased using your friends account you will have full offline access so you can sign into your profile and get trophies etc (because your console is set as the Home console). So you basically have all the rights of the owner even though it was purchased on someone elses account. Obviously you'll want to be putting your money'/credit card information into your friend's account. Your friend will do the same on their end.

The downside with all of this (other than sharing passwords) is If you go to another friends house or buy another PS4 and want to play your games you will need to sign into your friends account. I'm unsure if you will then be able to sign into your own profile on a second controller like 360 though.

Yeah it's convoluted and you lose even more of the concept of "owning" things since all your content will technically be on your friends account. I would never do it, but someone might I suppose. Also is this legal?

Yes if im understanding your correctly...

Show me where he says HER account in that sentence.

when you take the Knack disclaimer into account...

its implied when he says

yosp.png

SHE can play on HIS console...while HE is on the other...different accounts

It's awesome when people are so sure, and yet so wrong at the same time.

franco-so-good.gif

frizby

The downside with all of this is If you go to another friends house or buy another PS4 and want to play your games you will need to sign into your friends account. I'm unsure if you will then be able to sign into your own profile on a second controller like 360 though.

Yes is the short answer, but I don't think it will be this complicated. You should have access to the store with your "mobile" account for the purposes of loading funds and buying stuff, and he could then download on your "home" account. I'd stick with PSN cards if I were doing this.

Tripolygon

Banned
Oh he doesn't. He's unclear and should know better. The video makes it crystal clear how it works.

Yeah, the home console thing makes it more restrictive than 360/Xbox One. On 360 you can buy games on any other console, essentially making tht console the "home" console for that game.
Yoshida is probably one of the most honest and concise executive we have in this industry. And yes your intention is showing pretty clear.

lucius

Yeah, so it is basically 360's method I have to be online to sign into another console so you need internet, which is worse than how PS3 had it where I could just use one of my activated PS3's when I traveled not worrying about having to sign in online somewhere that may not have internet.

Top Bottom