• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 used game support same as PS3

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see EA bring back online passes just to see them justify after they removed it "for the gamers".

LNBL

Tretton mentioned nothing about online passes etc, that's just the assumption of several media's. Wonder how this will turn out.

It would have been stupid from them to continue with online passes AND require PS+ for online multiplayer.

But will EA use online passes? They already said it was ditched.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Once again, Sony misleading people by being vague.

The first party games will not have DRM but third party can?
That's some bullshit misdirection right there.

Nope. They said at the conference that single player games on discs can be played without restriction, without any new DRM. And that's the case here. Third parties can do online passes for multiplayer on second hand games but not for single player content on discs.

GlamFM

Banned
I still think it's to early to party.
I can see stickers on 3rd party PS4 games: "Internet connection required"...

You never know.

Veezy

que?
Can we get a mod to edit the title or the OP or something? Tretton's statement was clarified and they've already said things are going to be the same as they are now on the PS3.

I still think it's to early to party.
I can see stickers on 3rd party PS4 games: "Internet connection required"...

You never know.

The system DOES NOT mandate being online.

So, ya know, there's fricken that.

Christ people, critical thinking and reading comprehension. How does it work?

Not confusing at all.

PS4 will work exactly like PS3 did, which is what gamers wanted.

The system isn't designed with restrictions. The network isn't designed with them. If EA or any other publisher wants to put an online pass, it's up to them, and it will be EA's network that enforces that pass.

...and just like on PS3, it'll be me that skips out on that game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Actually, Sony getting rid of Online passes for their published games is pretty good news, it softens the PSN+ online gaming requirement a bit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tretton mentioned nothing about online passes etc, that's just the assumption of several media's. Wonder how this will turn out.

Sony issued a statement to clarify his comments. Publisher discretion is over online passes only, not general DRM on discs as other outlets reported.

BMgE2qtCYAA6cQ7.jpg:large

They have discretion over whether to use online passes. They don't have discretion over any more general disc DRM.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Even if its still just for MP passes like it is now, it's still better than Xbone.

Even if it covers the entire game, it won't be every game and people who are buying a PS4 because they don't like the always-on Xbone features, won't buy those games.

Even at worst case scenario PS4 still has the advantage.

Phawx

What exactly is preventing pubs from going further than online passes? Ubisoft already showed they are willing to do timed checks on PC.

You guys are giving pubs too much credit just to feel good about last nights news.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist.

Goddamn, thank you OP and early commenters for actually understanding what is going on. Somehow game journalists couldn't figure it out and stirred up a bunch of shit, but Gaf delivers.

Fruitster

No different to now. It won't be hard to avoid publishers who try the heavy handed DRM approach. I look forward to the shitstorms that will hit any publishers who try it personally.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Same as before"

I find this statement disingenuous and I'll explain why. Yes, technically Sony isn't doing anything different but unlike the current-gen, Microsoft's policies with the Xbox One has signalled the intent of publishers to target the used-games market. Although Sony will not facilitate this, it essentially enables publishers to continue on that path.

Only for locking multiplayer on second hand discs. They can stick to that path if they want but not, it seems, anything more than that. The statement issued is quite clear.

spwolf

Nothing new.

But expect the media to confuse people. See IGN.

it is media and probably paid MS posters who keep saying it is "the same thing".

and probably got their industry sources to pimp it up:

Arthur Gies@aegies 3h
@GalacticMouse people are making an issue out of it to me.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies
identical policy in a shifting landscape does not mean things will be the same. your PC isn't locked down, but simcity and diablo 3 are.

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 2h
don't get me wrong: i think sony's probs got the friendlier system. but things are changing whether sony's first party output does or not.

lol.

RiPPn

Banned
haha gonna be fun watching people trying to find cracks in this the next few months

It has to be some form of stockholm syndrome, why would anyone want to defend and support the Xbox One in it;s current form. If they truly loved that system so much they would not buy it at all and force Microsoft to adapt or die. Silly to buy one and attempt to screw up the competition offering what you wish your favorite console had.

We really need a title change, that's extremely misleading.

it is media and probably paid MS posters who keep saying it is "the same thing".

and probably got their industry sources to pimp it up:

lol.

They 'probably' have the friendlier system? Does he even think before he tweets dumb shit like this?

boingball

Well, I can certainly see EA implementing some kind of check via Origin and forcing 24 online verification. Capcom already did that for two PSN titles, playable only while PS3 was connected to the internet. The market then will decide whether that will be accepted or not. If the Xbone becomes wildly successful then I am sure EA will do something similar on the PS4 and Sony even will copy it for the PS5 (as they did now with online behind paywall on the PS4 which was wildly successful for the MS on the 360, a money printing machine).

Knoxcore

This is actually better than I thought. No online passes for first party titles. Most third party publishers already don't have online passes. I don't know of any publisher that will implement a block on used games or DRM on disc based games. The backlash will be huge.

Having said that, I still think publishers need to incentivize digital downloads if they want to maximize their revenue.

Im glad I was out for most of this. Seeing some meltdowns in my twitter feed was disheartening. Though i do understand the quickness to not trust these companies.

Top Bottom