• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 used game support same as PS3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is actually better than I thought. No online passes for first party titles. Most third party publishers already don't have online passes. I don't know of any publisher that will implement a block on used games or DRM on disc based games. The backlash will be huge.

It's better than that. Sony isn't letting them. That seems clearer after the statement.

Jack Tretton's initial comments about publisher discretion on DRM were wide open, but Sony came out and narrowed that down, clarifying they have discretion only over use of online passes. The logical implication is they don't have discretion over other broader disc DRM.

Goddamn, thank you OP and early commenters for actually understanding what is going on. Somehow game journalists couldn't figure it out and stirred up a bunch of shit, but Gaf delivers.

I was watching Bonus Round and they had Jeff Gerstmann, Andy McNamara (Game Informer) and Jason Rubin on. All three of them seem to understand it clearly and didn't try to act like Sony was trying to mislead people. It was always going to be up to publishers, but we shouldn't assume that they're going to do it. Especially not when it wasn't their idea to have DRM in the first place.

Reggie said the same thing during Geoff's interview. No pro-active DRM, keeps things the way they currently are.

Thread title scared the shit outta me lol.

I think the title could be edited to show (same system that currently exists on PS3).

Edit : It's done, lol.

There's nothing really new in what he is saying...

SRTtoZ

Yep, theres nothing we can do about that. The publishes will do what they want, not Sonys fault. The only thing you can do is not buy the games and not support the publisher if you dont like the DRM/Online passes.

It's better than that. Sony isn't letting them. That seems clearer after the statement.

Jack Tretton's initial comments about publisher discretion on DRM were wide open, but Sony came out and narrowed that down, clarifying they have discretion only over use of online passes. The logical implication is they don't have discretion over other broader disc DRM.

I wonder what Quantic Dream is going to do once their three game contract is up? They actually sound like they want MS model, but Sony isn't going to allow it in their games. Are they going to stick with Sony or try to find another publisher?

DRM is being pushed by third parties on the PC. They pushed MS for DRM. Trust me, they want to use DRM on the PS4 too. These companies want this and they will implement it. They aren't going to pass on extra revenue on one platform, wake up. Sony just doesn't want to be the face of this.

What exactly is preventing pubs from going further than online passes? Ubisoft already showed they are willing to do timed checks on PC.

You guys are giving pubs too much credit just to feel good about last nights news.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist.

But wouldn't that mean you should be mad at those publishers and vote with your wallet, and not Sony?

What exactly is preventing pubs from going further than online passes? Ubisoft already showed they are willing to do timed checks on PC.

You guys are giving pubs too much credit just to feel good about last nights news.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist.

lol. Not really. See, with PS4, if a publisher does that I can easily say I won't buy that specific game, I don't have to boycott the whole system. I have a choice. Options are nice, aren't they?

I didn'y buy Ubi's games that had that online required garbage on PC, I don't have to buy them on PS4.

Voting with wallet, etc.

IGN is the same company that didn't report on #ps4nodrm movement and dismissed it as slacktivism if I'm not mistaken. Where's that gif of money going to IGN and score increasing

Actually, it is kind of nice to hear that Sony won't even do the $10-for-used online pass themselves anymore. They still did as of three months ago in MLB the Show.

Yeah OP should be updated, pertains to online multiplayer only so online passes. Also I believe Sony said they're done with first party online passes.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I didn't know about Polygon's existence until the TLoU review and since then all I have seen is a bad reputation coming out of them, are they like Kotaku or something?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What exactly is preventing pubs from going further than online passes?

A licensing agreement? Sony can enforce platform conventions. It sounds like they are saying online passes are OK and they'll allow pubs choice on that, and that's it.

Quoting myself from the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62609296&postcount=65

So I mentioned this in the IRC chat yesterday before the conference, but a few hours before the it started I got a message from a third party publishing source saying that Sony had just confirmed with them that there would be no used game or mandatory online check in DRM on PS4. All current systems would stand, so games can still ship with online passes. Publishers are expected to work within the spirit of the current PS3 model so multi-player could definitely require an online pass for second hand purchases, but there will be no "used-game pass".

I've asked the source a few questions, just waiting for them to get back.

This information comes from a third party publishing source. PS4 is exactly the same as PS3 when it comes to DRM and used games. Publishers (including SCE) can put online content behind a paywall if the game is used. Online passes.

sun-drop

the key difference between xbone and ps4 is this..

sony allow customers to decide with their wallets re drm.

if EA wanna make their games offline modes etc locked behind a ea server log in etc ...well .... it's on them if all the gamers flee to sega. that happens EA might just decide thats not such a great move.

on xbone ..MS basically took that heat off the likes of EA and are actually facilitating it.

and don't sell me this BS about being beneficial to gamers.

xbone's authentication does not mean the console is online - no more than you can't assume yr ps3, or hell even yr router is 'connected' ..it's PURELY a DRM check.

seriously game press get paid to get their heads around this shit .. polygon wise up already #amateurhour

KingJ2002

seeing that EA dumped online passes... i doubt they will continue with it with PS4... i think that stuff might just live solely on Xbox One because it's built into the infrastructure.

Jomjom

Banned
Just to add, even if it's not just pertaining to online passes, this pretty much guarantees that Japanese devs will not do any kind of DRM / used game restrictions lest they want to destroy the entire game market in Japan. Used games are arguably as important as new games to Japan's game economy, so any Japanese dev restricting used games would be really alienating their home base.

GlamFM

Banned
Can we get a mod to edit the title or the OP or something? Tretton's statement was clarified and they've already said things are going to be the same as they are now on the PS3.

The system DOES NOT mandate being online.

So, ya know, there's fricken that.

Christ people, critical thinking and reading comprehension. How does it work?

System DOES NOT, publishers MIGHT.

I can read just fine - thank you. How about you?

RiPPn

Banned
haha gonna be fun watching people trying to find cracks in this the next few months

It has to be some form of stockholm syndrome, why would anyone want to defend and support the Xbox One in it's current form? If they truly loved that system so much they would not buy it at all and force Microsoft to adapt or die. Silly to buy one and attempt to screw up the competition offering what you wish your favorite console had.

Carl

Seriously. I just shook my head so bad when I saw that tweet.

Journalists are trying so hard to get the first scoop without even fact checking.

I'd say without even using their brains. The first thing they do is put up an article with a ridiculous headline before the stop and think about it.

If they'd just thought for 2 minutes they'd have realised what he meant.

Sony is all, Hey guys! It's you and us. The PlayStation and the gaming community teaming up against those mean 'ol publishers. Take a stand! fight!

Good to hear Jack and very obvious. Sony has no legal right to stop a publisher from shooting themselves in the foot with a 12 gauge and pouring salt over the remains but conversely they will not promote, support or encourage shooting of feet.

At least PS4 will be available in more than 21 countries.

Nope. They said at the conference that single player games on discs can be played without restriction, without any new DRM. And that's the case here. Third parties can do online passes for multiplayer on second hand games but not for single player content on discs.

The trick though is to force your single player game to be online for the "cloud processing" bullshit, like SimCity or Diablo 3.

Nowhere does it say games are required to have single player content after all.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn watching that Sony press con with the 60 seconds of applause in between each announcement from Tretton must have been incredibly painful for Gies.

Something like 'Develepors will decide on online multiplayer DRM/online passes - just like PS3'. They specifically said his comments apply only to parts of games that are online multiplayer.

EDIT: Okay yeah I guess that's simpler lol

Seriously, it's simple really - just don't buy games that try to play you with any okie-dokes on DRM, paywall stuff and the like.

I didn't buy any game that did that, and I generally didn't buy any DLC either. I'm willing to buy the game. I'm willing to pay for PS+/XBL Gold. I'm not willing to pay for any additional game-specific subscriptions, hunter's licenses, monthly fees, season passes or online passes. Simply vote with your wallet - they'll get the message when their games don't sell enough to break even, just like this gen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What should the title be?

IMO - 'publishers can use online passes, not general disc drm, same as PS3' - or something like that.

The trick though is to force your single player game to be online for the "cloud processing" bullshit, like SimCity or Diablo 3.

Nowhere does it say games are required to have single player content after all.

Sure, they can't stop pubs designing online only games, no more than they could on PS3 or even PS2. Although they could maybe police very superficial usage just to try and skirt inclusion of offline content, but I don't know if they will or not. Making a game online only on a system that doesn't require an online connection will limit your potential audience though, so pubs have to trade off against that...

Top Bottom