• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs Xbox One console sizes - PS4 is small

ibwjS6weKHBTSf.png

:lol

Withnail

Jesus Christ. He continues to have zero clue what he's talking about. Someone tell that idiot that smaller and less complicated APU == less transistors == less heat.

He is an idiot, but in this case I was thinking along the same lines just because the GDDR5 in the PS4 which is clocked at a high speed and consequently generates a lot of heat. The APU won't make a huge amount of difference.

Sony has either done a very impressive cooling job or the XB1 has just gone for the bigger=quieter route.

Also I think MS will have played the hardware design very conservatively out of fear of another RRoD fiasco.

KidBeta

He is an idiot, but in this case I was thinking along the same lines just because the GDDR5 in the PS4 which is clocked at a high speed and consequently generates a lot of heat. The APU won't make a huge amount of difference.

If the yield issues where true maybe they upped the voltage to fix it. More volts more heat.

maltrain

Joseph Olin, former president of the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, in 2010 said "Mark Cerny is the closest we have come to a modern-day Da Vinci".

I think he was pretty damn right.

They're both larger than expected (Xbox especially so) considering their anaemic specs.

Larger than expected? Anaemic specs? What sort of fail first post is this. I'm shocked at how small PS4 looks, and apparently the PSU is internal? Whaaaaaa.......
And the PS4 specs aren't anemic. X1 aren't that bad, either.

NekoFever

now,i wouldn't be surprised if the xbox1 is louder.

the xbox1 apu is bigger,maybe the ps4 has a smaller fan?
if anything,the last weeks showed us that we cant make assumptions.
Smaller fans are louder because they have to run faster to move the same amount of air.

LukeTim

Jesus Christ. He continues to have zero clue what he's talking about. Someone tell that idiot that smaller and less complicated APU == less transistors == less heat.

It's also likely to be produced on a smaller process node... given that there's no massive chunk of eSRAM taking up half the die. That should help power consumption (smaller, hence internal, PSU) and heat... I think.

KidBeta

It's also likely to be produced on a smaller process node... given that there's no massive chunk of eSRAM taking up half the die. That should help power consumption (smaller, hence internal, PSU) and heat... I think.

Smaller then 28nm?.

raven777

Can someone explain to be how ps4 can be so much smaller, and have no brick adapter, and have higher spec at the same time??

Is there certain compnant in xbone that makes it bigger? (Esram???)

Kunan

This is the size I expected with system on a chip architecture. I'm still not totally sold on the design, but the size is exactly what I hoped for. And internal power brick? Wow.

KageMaru

Both consoles are ugly IMO.

Also I think it's clear that MS is going the extreme with Xbone to avoid another RRoD fiasco.

The rear of the PS4 looks a little janky and cheap, IMO. Those ports look haphazard. Especially compared to the launch PS3, but I'll never see the back so who cares.

kortez320

It actually is amazing that despite having basically the exact same size APU the size of the boxes ended up so dramatically different. I imagine it can be at least partly explained that MS wanted to be absolutely sure not to repeat the RROD situation.

Both are kind of ugly though and it looks like they were designed by the same team. PS4 = Xbone slim.

KidBeta

It actually is amazing that despite having basically the exact same size APU the size of the boxes ended up so dramatically different. I imagine it can be at least partly explained that MS wanted to be absolutely sure not to repeat the RROD situation.

Both are kind of ugly though and it looks like they were designed by the same team. PS4 = Xbone slim.

Eh what?, the XB1 APU is at least 100mm^2 maybe more bigger then the PS4 APU.

mainly because of dat eSRAM.

NIGHT-

both are hideous consoles, but that PS4 is the worst looking console design in a while. Who came up with this shit?

PS4 is damn sexy !!!

This is Sony engineering and they are among the best in the world. No surprise they were gonna have a better looking console.

Durante

The PS4 definitely looks no bigger than the original PS3. If anything it looks marginally smaller.
It's actually significantly smaller. It's smaller than a slim in total extents.

As would be expected really considering specs, no idea what happened at MS.

Omni

Jeeeez both of these consoles are ugly. I mean the PS3 got worse with each iteration, but jeeeez. Didn't expect this.

Only benefit to the size is that you can hide it away where you aren't forced to look at it and think what a terrible design it has.

Inside

Love the design and how it reminds me of the older consoles.

Even the buttons are very classic Playstation style!

AdiB0Uj.jpg

B541s2S.jpg

Durante

I'm really looking forward to the first teardown, this should be beautifully engineered.

PS4 is such an amazing looking console.
I was taken aback at first, but it has grown on me. Evocative of PS2, and the inherent low height coupled with the layered design makes it look really slim.

ElFly

It's either impressive on Sony's part, stupid on MS's part, or the PS4 is gonna have heating problems.

Gonna guess it is impressive.

Top Bottom