• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs Xbox One console sizes - PS4 is small

RiverBed

Banned
That's so odd, although I did think the motherboard in the XBOne was surprisingly large:

tU8qZz1.jpg

I'm curious to see inside the PS4 now.

Where are the other parts? I've seen another one with the disc part and another piece next to it.
And has it be cleared if there will be a power brick or not? Seems like a lot of room inside the shell.

The PS4 design is really growing on me... I was pretty critical of it originally, but I take it back. It looks really, really good and I can finally see some Sony design prowess in it. It looks much more impressive when you put it near an Xbone. The Xbone looks so standard and unoriginal. The PS4 has a very, very distinct look to it. There isn't much else out there anywhere that has that kind of design, so it really catches your eye. I can't wait to see them both in a store in the display cases.

Damn. Those pictures are fantastic, Takuya.

SRG01

Judging by that power connector, it's an external power brick?

Not that I mind, of course. I actually prefer power bricks.

Boss Man

What plays into the decision to go with an internal PSU? External makes the console smaller and cooler...but internal makes it look more expensive or something?

Zukuu

Banned
What plays into the decision to go with an internal PSU? External makes the console smaller and cooler...but internal makes it look more expensive or something?
External can be a problem as well. Just look at the early xbox burn outs. If you can fit it into your box and have a decent cooling system, it's preferable if it doesn't cause too much problems or increase in the sizer of the box.

ZaCH3000

Purple light controller is mine. That is a sexy controller. The PS4 looks incredible as well. It reminds me so much of the PS2. The confidence in Sony delivering this gen continues building.

nib95

Banned
Takuya, awesome pics. Console looks amaze, as does the controller. Worried about it being slanted whilst on it's side though.

Truespeed

Do we know if the PS4 has a built in power supply? Given their history and superiority in hardware engineering I'm guessing they do. If so, then this is another embarrassment.

Knoxcore

Very impressed with Sony's work here. I'm surprised by how small it looks. And if it's true there is no external power brick then that is damn impressive.

Batzi

Banned
For some reason it(PS4) looked different last night but this is actually the best looking console I have ever seen in my life. From one angle it looks like the Xbox One, from another angle it looks like a PS2 and from a different angle it looks like a double-layered parallelogram. Very neat and smart design Sony. And the fact it's small makes it even better!

The more I see of this thing, the more I like the design. Good job Sony, and mad props for bringing the designer up on stage at the conference. That was class.

Do those controls have different colored LEDs or one color per controller? That is pretty nifty if the colors indicate a different player.

The controller light bar is like the orb on the PS MOVE. Every controller can change to a large range or colors. It can also be used to indicate things like low health (flashing red) or muzzle flash for FPS. When the designer does not specify colors for the controller it defaults to being one of the four PlayStation button colors each of which stands for players 1-4.

I saw both in person, but a LOT smaller than I thought they were and PS4 is insanely small. It actually is kind of disappointing... for some reason I like my next-gen consoles to feel beefy and be excessive.

Like the guy in Jurassic Park says, "Is it heavy? Then it's expensive"

televator

65% smaller than XBone and still smaller than a slim PS3?!! ...and an internal P/S?!!!! Sony has invented magic. I am continuously blown away by this machine. I want one so hard!

Knoxcore

Smaller and more powerful. Amazing what Sony pulled off.

Can you imagine how much smaller it would be with an external PSU. We could see a slim model in less than 2 years easily.

Smaller, cheaper and more powerful. I don't think this has ever happened in the history of gaming where the more powerful console is also the cheapest and smallest. Very proud of Sony for what they did here and I have to give props to Mark Cerny and his team for realizing the mistakes that were made with the PS3 and seeking ways to fix that problem.

DBT85

Not sure about this but I think GDDR5 doesn't get as hot as DD3 so I think it's a factor when the console size was designed.

GDDR5 does get hotter than DDR3. GDDR5 is based on DDR3, they just turn it up to 11. It doesn't however get as hot as some people like to believe. The GDDR5 chips on my graphics card are cooled with tiny heatsinks.

If the power supply gets hot enough to need cooling, then it either needs a fan or has to go inside the case. If it's not hot enough to need cooling, then it can go in the case. Sony have only had an external PSU once to my knowledge, which was the first PS2 Slim. They are a hardware company, they want that shit inside.

Have they learned up why the ps4 demos had issues? Was it a unit overheating?

early code on devkits. shit happens. Apparently Killzone had a 3/100 chance of crashing at the PS4 reveal in February.

Hnnnngggg that purple. Nearly as nice at the Blue and the Yellow. Nice and vibrant.

Tomnevers

Neo Member
I think the Xbox One is pretty ugly. I think the PS4 is better but not great.

The PS4 does look better in person IMO. Saw them both today (played em both too).

To be honest I was astonished by how bad both systems looked when they were first revealed.

Alchemy

speaking of which, whatever happened to him?

Believe they ran him out of town because of hardware first focus fuckery. Sony wanted hardware guys that wanted to make hardware for software development, not to have fun with exotic hardware architecture.

eastmen

Banned
GDDR5 does get hotter than DDR3. GDDR5 is based on DDR3, they just turn it up to 11. It doesn't however get as hot as some people like to believe. The GDDR5 chips on my graphics card are cooled with tiny heatsinks.

If the power supply gets hot enough to need cooling, then it either needs a fan or has to go inside the case. If it's not hot enough to need cooling, then it can go in the case. Sony have only had an external PSU once to my knowledge, which was the first PS2 Slim. They are a hardware company, they want that shit inside.

early code on devkits. shit happens. Apparently Killzone had a 3/100 chance of crashing at the PS4 reveal in February.

Hnnnngggg that purple. Nearly as nice at the Blue and the Yellow. Nice and vibrant.

the ram on your graphics card is cooled by the graphics card fan and by your cases cooling.

The ram in these systems shouldn't need anything but the case cooling. If the one's fan is pushing air down at the heat sink then it will naturaly cool the ram chips also.

I don't care about the actual size since I don't move my console a lot and both are smaller than receiver . I do however worry about noise. I hope both these consoles are better than the ones last gen.

They're both incredibly ugly though. I don't know what the people who designed these things were thinking. The PS4 might be the ugliest console since the original Xbox.

Top Bottom