• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs Xbox One console sizes - PS4 is small

Takuya

Banned
Do you have a cite for that?

Cooling issues can cause that kind of freezing on a PC.

No cite, that's how it looked when I was at the conference.

The demo players didn't realize things were freezing until they looked up at the big screens.

Audio kept going also while the video feed on the big screen was frozen. I looked at the players while this was happening and they didn't seem bothered.

DBT85

the ram on your graphics card is cooled by the graphics card fan and by your cases cooling.

The ram in these systems shouldn't need anything but the case cooling. If the one's fan is pushing air down at the heat sink then it will naturaly cool the ram chips also.

So, cooling the ram chips exactly the same way as my graphics card then? We don't know how the PS4 is going to do it, but since it's one large APU and the RAM it shouldn't be nearly as convoluted at the PS3 one that has to cool two chips. Also, someone else here told me that the One will suck air through the heatsink and blow out the top vent, rather than blowing down through it and over the components in the immediate area. Seemed odd to me but who knows.

Until we see internals of the PS4 we wont know. But if they ARE using clamshell mode for the GDDR5, how will they cool the other side?

teiresias

ps459pz8j.jpg
Is that the official controller charger? Looks nice if so.

I really wish I had somewhere to set the PS4 up vertically when I get it, but my setup doesn't have enough height anywhere. Would be cool if they sold a blue stand for those going vertical though - that would look sharp.

nib95

Banned
Advantages the PS4 has over the Xbox One.

+ No new DRM
+ Allows used games
+ No mandatory online check in
+ No forced camera sensor
+ No external power brick
+ 65% smaller
+ Region free
+ Upgradeable hard drive
+ $100/£80 cheaper
+ 50%+ more powerful
+ GDDR5 vs DDR3 (2.6x more memory bandwidth)
+ 2GB additional ram available for games
+ Easier to develop for
+ Self publishing for Indies

Unless you literally cannot live without Microsoft exclusives, I honestly can't see why anyone would pick the Xbox One over the PS4. The PS4 is superior in nearly every way.[/QUOTE]

Knoxcore

You're right.

Still doesn't come close to explaining a 65% volume increase.

The explanation is simple...MS is not a hardware company, Sony is. Sony has a wealth of experience building hardware. I'm not surprised that the XBO is so large especially given the RROD fiasco.

+ No new DRM
+ Allows used games
+ 65% smaller
+ $100/£80 cheaper
+ 50%+ more powerful
+ Easier to develop for

Unless you literally cannot live without Microsoft exclusives, I honestly can't see why anyone would pick the Xbox One over the PS4. The PS4 is superior in nearly every way.

I wonder how the downclocking of the Xbone turns out... Might be 100% more powerful in the end.

Knoxcore

No cite, that's how it looked when I was at the conference.

The demo players didn't realize things were freezing until they looked up at the big screens.

Audio kept going also while the video feed on the big screen was frozen. I looked at the players while this was happening and they didn't seem bothered.

I thought it was the feed as well, but was concerned it may have to do with either the devkits or the actual game. I'm surprised there was no confirmation though. Both MS and Sony had technical problems. Whoever was contracted to do the electrical for the conference need to have some answers as to why there was so many problems. I don't remember it being this bad at last year's E3.

Knoxcore

I wonder how the downclocking of the Xbone turns out... Might be 100% more powerful in the end.

I don't think the downclocking will happen. People have reported that available XBO preorders at retail gamestop is far less than the PS4, indicating MS may just accept the low yields instead of gimp the console.

Azull

Holy shit the PSU is internal!? GAT DAM. I was almost certain it would be external since the xbone's size and need of an external. What the hell happened over at MS? I can believe Sony have godly hardware engineers but come on, should the Xbone really be that big than?

nib95

Banned
To me the PS4 looks higher quality than any of the Playstation consoles before it. The texture and tone of the materials, the finish, the gloss, the subtle hints of colour etc. Does not look like it is made cheaply, where previously the consoles may have looked sexy in certain releases, they often still looked a tad cheap or less premium. Not the case for the PS4.

Smaller, cheaper and more powerful. I don't think this has ever happened in the history of gaming where the more powerful console is also the cheapest and smallest. Very proud of Sony for what they did here and I have to give props to Mark Cerny and his team for realizing the mistakes that were made with the PS3 and seeking ways to fix that problem.

PS1.

MercuryLS

Banned
Sony hit it out of the park with every aspect of the PS4. The machine is quite a bit more powerful than the One, but it's way smaller and has an internal PSU? What?

Lots of people think they are ugly consoles though. It's not just me.

There is a lot of people that think literally every console that comes out is ugly. Have you EVER seen a console announced where everyone universally loved its design? No. You haven't.

It's weird that people think they have an eye for aesthetics of a console, you really don't. It's hard to determine objectively, "THIS CONSOLE IS UGLY" or that it isn't. Especially considering they are incredibly simple and serve their purpose... it's a black box with a blue streak that glows. That's not "Ugly". If it was some clunky ponderous abstract multicolor beast that vibrated and blared a screeching tone when it was turned on, then maybe you'd be onto something. By right now you are just being a tad dramatic...

Eusis

Jesus Christ. He continues to have zero clue what he's talking about. Someone tell that idiot that smaller and less complicated APU == less transistors == less heat.
Huh, so the PS4's is less complicated? I definitely need to read a breakdown of the specs (or at least what we know so far.)

MercuryLS

Banned
Huh, so the PS4's is less complicated? I definitely need to read a breakdown of the specs (or at least what we know so far.)

According to what I read here, the included ESRAM on Xbox One's SOC has made it significantly larger / more complicated to manufacture vs. the PS4 SOC. Sony has a more powerful SOC that's less complicated to make thanks to 8gb GDDR5.

televator

Yeah, I'm gonna come out and say that I think the PS4 looks sexy. I completely disagree that it looks like XBone. It has interesting angles, it's slim, love the vent design, love the buttons, love the double tower look... Mmmmmm. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

My only gripe is with Sony ditching the multicolored PS logo. The white logo is so plain and drab. It's the "PlayStation" logo dammit! Give it some color!

Knoxcore

They're both incredibly ugly though. I don't know what the people who designed these things were thinking. The PS4 might be the ugliest console since the original Xbox.

I happen to be in the minority who think the PS4 and XBO designs are fine. I mean there are only so many ways you can design a black box.

Kvik

My only gripe is with Sony ditching the multicolored PS logo. The white logo is so plain and drab. It's the "PlayStation" logo dammit! Give it some color!

They really should bring back the PSX startup screen with the color logo for the PS4 boot sequence.

Takuya

Banned
You have to see it set up in a gaming environment. It is sleek, sexy, and looks great plugged in.

The USB/disc slot being "hidden" in the center stripe is really a nice touch.

I'm going to grab more pics tomorrow of the game demo stands.

artist

Banned
Is that the official controller charger? Looks nice if so.

I really wish I had somewhere to set the PS4 up vertically when I get it, but my setup doesn't have enough height anywhere. Would be cool if they sold a blue stand for those going vertical though - that would look sharp.
Isnt that port the mic port? And I think I saw a mini-USB port on the front of the controller below the light.

Eusis

According to what I read here, the included ESRAM on Xbox One's SOC has made it significantly larger / more complicated to manufacture vs. the PS4 SOC. Sony has a more powerful SOC that's less complicated to make thanks to 8gb GDDR5.
Ah, I see, Sony went for more power straight forward rather than creating a convoluted situation to get roughly the same effect. I guess I just underestimated the cost to the hardware.

Spec sheets already confirm XBONE to be 65% larger than the PS4.

Also PS4 has no power brick, it's an internal PSU and this is TBD for XBONE.

I'm not sure how the PS4 can be so small. It's also very light at 2.8kg or 6lbs. Compare that to launch PS3 at 7kg or 15lbs... PS4 is only 40% of PS3 weight.
whooooooa!

Jburton

Banned
Jesus Christ. He continues to have zero clue what he's talking about. Someone tell that idiot that smaller and less complicated APU == less transistors == less heat.

Arthur Gies talks so much shit it's unbelievable, never liked that guy ........... RebelFM or whatever it is / was called could not be listened to for this reason.

People need to wrap their heads around the fact that the more custom the silicon is (esram on the apu) makes it a lot more complicated and a lot more dense in terms of transistor count ........ makes that shit hotter.

PS4 APU is a much more standard variant than the Xbox One APU, it just has a much better GPU.

Also as someone with GTX 670, the gDDR5 on my card does not have any passive or active cooling on it at all ......... and zero problems.

Some crazy myths permeating through this forum that are not helped by that clown and MS shill Gies.

Also the PS4 can still have a large fan based cooling assembly, there are plenty of large, low profile fans around that push a lot of air with little noise.

Advantages the PS4 has over the Xbox One.

+ No new DRM
+ Allows used games
+ 65% smaller
+ Region free
+ Upgradeable hard drive
+ $100/£80 cheaper
+ 50%+ more powerful
+ Easier to develop for

Unless you literally cannot live without Microsoft exclusives, I honestly can't see why anyone would pick the Xbox One over the PS4. The PS4 is superior in nearly every way.

It really is. No doubt about that.
But what about the part with the RAM? As far as I know it's unclear how much ram is allocated to games and OS. According to Digital Foundry's latest article it's still unknown.

I'm really curious how effective the cooling is and how loud it will be.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now

Thanks. On a rewatch you appear to be correct, they kept playing it seemed but the screens behind them were freezing. I'm still skeptical here, but we'll see I'm sure.

It's just a marvel of engineering if they got it to be cool (ie, leave it on 6-12 hours playing Destiny or The Division). It's tiny. I remember when I first saw it and saw how tiny it was. It blew my mind. I saved the IRC log of the chat at the time but apparently my buffer was too short and I don't have that part. It was amazing to me.

What I said after the megatons (it was literally after 399 was dropped so no one replied):

<joshcryer> they need to seriously look at the heating on that tiny console though
<joshcryer> I think it runs too hot

Top Bottom