• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

viveks86

Oh SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is your test still being verified?

Edit: this Thread is toooooooooo Good.... the feels... the gifs..... the confusion.... the love/hate..... and yet no conclusion

This! Loving it! Tidux, if you really are a dev, lycka till! ;)

Skeff

Map zoom, navigation marker control / cycling missions, something like that.

yea, pinch and zoom style. Intuitive like looking at a map on our phone, also whilst being zoomed in, i should be able to throw the map to quickly pan accross it, whilst zoomed, much faster than using an analogue in GTAV

viveks86

A quicky.
in a open world game like GTA V how would you like to see implemented touchpad controls on a DS4 to improve the game?

Map navigation and change radio channels! Would be cool to swipe through weapon selection, while dpad is used for quick select.

May be we can come up with more ideas if you drop a hint on the genre. What type of open world game? Is GTA V a hint at the genre or just that it's open world?

jwk94

A quicky.
in a open world game like GTA V how would you like to see implemented touchpad controls on a DS4 to improve the game?

quick swipes left/right/up/down for:
potion/heal use
weapon change/scroll

thumb pinch for:
camera zoom out to map, zoom in back to place

touchpad clicks for:
player-assigned things that need instant access during stressful, emergency situations like a sudden grenade throw.

Tsundere

Banned
A quicky.

Flick up to bring up cellphone, then navigate the icons as you would on a smartphone (drag finger across the touchpad) etc. Also, as a mouse in the internet browser etc.

Tidux

thanks for the feedback.
Or Tack in swedish
what do you think about GTA V ways to remove invisible walls?

Skeff

take a chopper or a plane and fly as far as you can! =)

I like them gradual rather than instant.

Increasing the difficulty in which to go higher, for example in a plane I need to get to 50% speed to go to 80% height, but then It becomes more difficult to get higher, I need to push it up to 80% speed to 90% height and then 100% speed to get to 100% height, make it feel like it's a limitation of the plane rather than hitting the roof.

Divide the touchpad into 6 segments and allow us to assign weapons/items/abilities to them for quick use. For example click top-left for assault rifle, top-middle shotgun, top-right sniper, bottom-left health pack and so on. Use d-pad to swap out different sets of 6 icons.

AndyD

aka andydumi
there is a good explanation in the link I just posted how the touchpad feels

Can the touchpad be programmed at will? As in can you make "buttons" of the corners? Or various swipe edges do different things? Maybe scroll across the right edge for weapons/left edge for potions? Gestures OK?

Tidux

Can the touchpad be programmed at will? As in can you make "buttons" of the corners? Or various swipe edges do different things? Maybe scroll across the right edge for weapons/left edge for potions? Gestures OK?

sry, of limits

viveks86

what is destiny doing with the touchpad... couldn't find anything

Yeah they haven't announced anything yet AFAIK.

CskZLKI.jpg

viveks86

I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be completely programmable. If you see the examples they have shown for infamous, backlight retribution, AC4 and some dev (can't remember) that claimed they are going to make a hacking min-game using the touchpad, it seems to me that it would definitely be fully programmable for 2 finger input. If the dev wants to split it up into regions or define custom gestures, they should be able to do so.

Alright, I'm caught up on thread.

As for touchpad, I don't have a problem with it being utilized in game for certain things. Using as a weapon wheel or quick inventory would work well.

Even as a gameplay mechanic as well. I think KZ:SF has the personal OWL functions mapped to the touchpad if I remember correctly and it seemed fluid.

B.O.O.M

The GTA 5 without walls and Sweden made me think of Just Cause 2..Avalanche Studios..in Sweden

I'm most probably thinking too much lol

viveks86

Alright, I'm caught up on thread.

As for touchpad, I don't have a problem with it being utilized in game for certain things. Using as a weapon wheel or quick inventory would work well.

Even as a gameplay mechanic as well. I think KZ:SF has the personal OWL functions mapped to the touchpad if I remember correctly.

Yes it does use the touchpad. 4 buttons right there that are available as additional input with simple gestures.

viveks86

The GTA 5 without walls and Sweden made me think of Just Cause 2..Avalanche Studios..in Sweden

I'm most probably thinking too much lol

Using the snowdrop engine? Does Ubi license their engine to 3rd parties? I think there are so many Swedish devs. Could be anyone.

there is a good explanation in the link I just posted how the touchpad feels

Saw the video. That's perfect. Possibilities are endless ;)

Divide the touchpad into 6 segments and allow us to assign weapons/items/abilities to them for quick use. For example click top-left for assault rifle, top-middle shotgun, top-right sniper, bottom-left health pack and so on. Use d-pad to swap out different sets of 6 icons.

Or swipe to each corner

viveks86

I've never seen the R3 button refered to as the "RS click" button. That can't be approved by Sony.

Good catch. However, I'm not too sure about your inference.

Key Switches
PS button, Share button, OPTIONS button,
Directional buttons(Up/Down/Left/Right),
Action buttons(Triangle/Circle/Cross/Square),
R1/L1/R2/L2, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad button

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/index.htm?sel=techspecs-dualshock

Even Sony is referring to them as Right stick and Left stick, not R3 and L3. May be RS and LS are the new R3 and L3?

Mr Moose

Good catch. However, I'm not too sure about your inference.

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/index.htm?sel=techspecs-dualshock

Even Sony is referring to them as Right stick and Left stick, not R3 and L3. May be RS and LS are the new R3 and L3?

L3/R3 are the buttons when you click the LS/RS (sticks), unless I've misunderstood my PS3 controllers for years, which is very possible lol.

Edit: That's odd, they do only refer to them as sticks now, weird, wonder what changed.

ckohler

Hhmm, I'm surprised they're moving away from the R3 & L3 wording. I guess it might be because they want to make it easier for the end user to remember?
That would be my guess. Seems like a good move to me. I remember scratching my head the first time I read R3. I don't think R3 and L3 were actually ever labeled on the DS3, were they?

Top Bottom