• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Just looking at the overall bigger picture here. I mean who wants to deal with iPhone pricing models, and a new revision of the PS4 happens every 3 to 4 years? Would such a thing be unsustainable for console level hardware?
It will be interesting to see.

For one thing, it will be something the hardcore audience will like because they can get the latest and greatest without having to wait for too long.
On the other hand, people who casually enjoy games like myself will not have the time or money to jump into upgrading their systems to go along with the motion. Rather put the money into things that can do more than games like PCs or mobile.

Tom Penny

Do you know if the 4k is being built as a 60fps target with PS4 remaining 30? I feel like Sony will want to implement some sort of standards for this to make sure the PS4 doesn't get forgotten.
Im sure they will forget about the vastly larger user base to focus on selling fewer games and making the least money as possible. Business 101.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Right. Its getting upset over something that hasn't even happened.

And the point was everything around you is replaced with updated versions. Why should consoles be off limits?

Because it has always been in a way of playing games for many years without the worry of some far more powerful unit being made as a "oops here's what we meant to launch"

I'm smelling Sega if all this is real. It reeks of Sega.

I find it funny to see people defending this move when essentially they're being screwed out of money...

Imagine devs who already do sloppy work on consoles like Ubisoft, Bethesda...

just imagine their PS4 versions if PS4K is out there...

This will be fucking savage.

Yea because ubi soft and bethesda games don't already run and look much better on pc's that have 2x the power of ps4. Some of you people can be real dense. He'll right now 750ti is running many ps4 games better.

El_Chino

People really think this is a April's fool thing?

giphy.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Im sure they will forget about the vastly larger user base to focus on selling fewer games and making the least money as possible. Business 101.
I'm just curious as to how they're going to approach this. I'm 100% on board with an upgraded PS4, but given how vitriolic the reactions have been I think Sony will need to address it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there some new information that has come out since the thread was started? People are talking about dual GPU's and stuff now. Was there more info released/leaked?

Gumbie

Can we please stop the "LULZ APRIL FOOLS JOKE" stuff?

1. It's not even April 1st.
2. The guy is bish verified. It's not some random troll account that's been lurking, waiting to post this info 2 days before April 1st.

GlamFM

Banned
People really think this is a April's fool thing?

giphy.gif

People also think the PS4K will put out games at native 4K/60 while somehow retroactively destroying every game on PS4 and make them run worse.

It´s one of those threads.

Is there some new information that has come out since the thread was started? People are talking about dual GPU's and stuff now. Was there more info released/leaked?

The OP is always your go to spot if you want to know what a thread is about....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shit just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

the word sacrifices was fine. 'considerable' was the more alarming.

rjinaz

Can we please stop the "LULZ APRIL FOOLS JOKE" stuff?

1. It's not even April 1st.
2. The guy is bish verified. It's not some random troll account that's been lurking, waiting to post this info 2 days before April 1st.

3. The same rumor has been circulating for over a week now.

Denial stage I'm guessing.

El_Chino

People also think the PS4K will put out games at native 4K/60 while somehow retroactively destroying every game on PS4 and make them run worse.

It´s one of those threads.

The OP is always your go to spot if you want to know what a thread is about....

Maybe some indie games?

wow this is some crazy news. I didn't think this would actually be done. It sounds like this could cause a divide amongst the gamers if they do hold onto the promise that they will make the games for each version of hardware. I wonder if we will start seeing a low budget, mid budget, and high budget of these consoles in the future. At that point they would just become PCs.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm moving on to how this will look. Given it will have somewhat more power I can see it being more or less the same size has now and maybe to minimise confusion keep the same case design.

Or do you think Sony will give it new look?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's funny you think those are even remotely comparable. My old car or TV doesn't suddenly run worse than it did because of a new upgrade coming out. That's the issue many of us are having with this, is that the potential for the regular Ps4 for getting gimped, horrible running games is there. It's a very real possibility that we won't know for sure until the time comes.

The thing is that is already happening. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy with or without PS4k.

Look at Just Cause 3. Works great on a high-powered PC at 60fps, and runs like garbage on PS4 and XB1, struggling to hit 30fps almost all the time. A recent patch made things even worse. It is clearly not optimized for consoles, and will likely never run well at this point.

Now let's imagine the PS4k is available now, and can run Just Cause 3 at the same level of the PC- 60fps with little hitching. That wouldn't change the fact that the PS4/XB1 versions are terrible ports. But people would have the assumption that, because of the PS4k's existence, it led to some terrible optimization.

Its true that every game released on PS4k will run better than any PS4 version of the same game. I don't think you can squarely blame poor PS4 performance on this console's existence when we've seen time and again how much worse some of these games have been on consoles than on PC.

wow this is some crazy news. I didn't think this would actually be done. It sounds like this could cause a divide amongst the gamers if they do hold onto the promise that they will make the games for each version of hardware. I wonder if we will start seeing a low budget, mid budget, and high budget of these consoles in the future. At that point they would just become PCs.

I figured consoles would become PCs eventually, but I expected closer to 2020.
Was not expecting by end of 2017...

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Instead of doing this, Sony should've released the PS4 with a better hardware this gen. I'm sorry, but I won't support this kind of business. I don't want to see the console market turning into a smartphone-like one.

I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shit just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

Excellent this is great news. It really does go to show how many here are clueless about game development.

Raide

I'm moving on to how this will look. Given it will have somewhat more power I can see it being more or less the same size has now and maybe to minimise confusion keep the same case design.

Or do you think Sony will give it new look?

Hopefully new look so they don't confuse potential buyers.

I think it could be a great move if Sony moves to a 3 year cadence where the previous revision is always compatible with the next one.

So, three years after PS4K launches, PS5/PS48K comes out and everything that comes out on it can be played on the PS4K, too. Some accessories may carry over from PS4 (DS4, PSVR, Camera), but the console itself would be unable to play these new games. That's ok - you're still talking a six year cycle.

This would give a more iterative model like phones where you're always in the same ecosystem and all your content is going to be right there along with the new stuff as long as you keep upgrading. Those bleeding edge technophiles who are always buying the newest thing will likely be willing to drop that 400/500 every three years, too. The increase in the used console market could help the overall base too.

Those 'old' PS4 games? Rather than, or in addition to, remastering, maybe developers have an option to put out a paid graphics patch to add new textures and features to the 'old' PS4 version.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I don't know why I'm surprised, but I guess I don't understand the resistance to this. Surely it's not believed that any future PS4 title from this point forward will be optimized for the PS4k first and not the PS4. There's simply no way Sony would alienate the majority of its customer base to build a potentially niche/minority following. Or at least, not early on.

As long as Sony mandates that developers target the system with the largest audience, and right now that's the lowest common denominator, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, this strategy helps keep some sort of parity with the PC and tech as it evolves, making the transition to whatever next-gen is less drastic.

Gin

can imagine all those ps4 trade ins for this new system

gamestop must be popping champagne over the news

not happy about this short life cycle..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Instead of doing this, Sony should've released the PS4 with a better hardware this gen. I'm sorry, but I won't support this kind of business. I don't want to see the console market turning into a smartphone-like one.

So they should have made another $600 console? Yeah, sure that would have gone great.

Raide

Sure, but I don´t think this is what people in this thread are concerned about.

The fear seems to be that Uncharted 5 will run at 4K/60 in VR on PS4K while struggling to keep steady 15fps at 240p on PS4.

If the PS4.5 is coming next year, its only another 2 or 3 years till PS5 is talked about. Plenty of time to shift Uncharted 5 to a new system

The fear seems to be that Uncharted 5 will run at 4K/60 in VR on PS4K while struggling to keep steady 15fps at 240p on PS4.

Lol that's impossible, the PS4K is not a whole generation ahead of ps4, the best you can get is 30fps ps4 vs 60fps ps4k with slightly better graphics.

GHG

Gold Member
Well i simply hopes visual will look the same on both console. If one is 4k 60fps, and the other look the same, no texture degrading, no field of view degrading, and it can remain 30fps , might swallow it better. I hope developpers will have to make sure it look the same, minus the resolution change. I just dont want to see medium settings on PS4 and ultra settings on PS4K.

This is sweet.

OmegaDL50

I even addressed that in my reply to you when you quoted my original post.

I misspoke and was specifically referring to 4K native on simpler stuff like Terraria and Stardew Valley.

Hardware doesn't get that much cheaper anymore. You can't launch a $600 console and expect it will hit mainstream sweetspot at stome time - also see how the last gen consoles didn't get that much cheaper without sacrificing stuff like hard disks.

Sony is basically forced to update the package to justify the price.

rjinaz

You know before the PS4 was revealed, a lot of people didn't think it would be as high spec'd as it is. I remember people laughing at the idea of 8gb.

They seem like shit because it's almost 3 years old. At the time, and for $399, it was pretty good. I mean they really couldn't have made it much better without going $599 I don't think.

Going to wait to hear on official work of an upgrade paths before being entirely frustrated (if they could keep it to $100 the backlash might be lessened), but this is really all just sad. What a kick in the junk to early VR adopters in particular, though.

Since this is GAF, we're also forgetting how the general public could see this. I'd venture that the overwhelming majority of the market is going to care more about getting a PS4 this Christmas for $250-300 that still plays exactly the same games off the shelf. Sony is trying to duplicate the mindset of mobile model, where new models don't turn people away, and plenty of people look at new models as a chance to grab the previous flagship for cheaper. Some people upgrade regularly and some don't. People wait less or more depending on their needs.

Your more generic PS4 buyer who wants to play COD or whatever isn't going to care on the level that we might, the same way there are people who'll line up every year for a new iPhone but it's not representative of the vast majority of consumers. Are all the apps compatible? Can they stay in the same ecosystem with the same account network? That's their priority. At the end of the day I do still personally think this is an awful idea. An endgame in 3-5 years of an expected culture of more frequent updates where all models of all PSwhatevers are backwards compatible? Long-term it could help the console market.

THE:MILKMAN

Hopefully new look so they don't confuse potential buyers.

There are so many angles for Sony to cover its hard to imagine just how Sony are going to sell this spec change to the casual buyer.

All previous PlayStation's when redesigned/made smaller have always been reduced in price.......so a lot of work for Sony ahead.

This is the only problem i see with ps4k. But I guess they could make a option to play 30fps if you wanna play with the ps4 gamers.
That's not the only problem I see but I won't discuss anymore about it. Lots of other posters already discussed it.

Who would turn the 30FPS option on just to play online with the PS4 community? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of this console? We're entering PC territory here.

Top Bottom