• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

timmyp53

That's it folks, pack it up, console gaming is dead. Our last hope was Nintendo and not even they can save us now.

Sony will milk us dry with yearly updates. This year it's $2000 for a PSVR, ps4k, and a 4K TV then next year it will be another $4000 for ps48k, psvr2 and an 8k TV.

Meanwhile Microsoft will steal all our consumer rights with draconian DRM plans, will spy on your children via Kinect and Cortana will steal your wife through hypnosis.

We need to fight this. Everyone to the build a PC thread, GabeN is our last hope.

Go home. You're drunk.

The 2x is only for the GPU by itself. There is also said to be a change to the CPU, the overall performance could get a much higher boost than just 2x. But yeah, I agree with the statementt that it's definitely not enough for a PS5.

Still i do wonder how big the jump to next gen going to be .
It getting harder and harder to to put more power in these small boxes .

I'll be honest, after working with ninty for years I don't think nx is a console. I think it's a hand held. I think ninty will wait for next gen to announce their new console. This is my opinion which others also believe.

If it really is a handheld then Nintendo is pretty much dead. I've already explained before how they can't do handheld-only b/c the handheld market is increasingly only relevant to one region (Japan), a region where there's very little growth, and it's their home console side that's in immediate danger of extinction. If they wanna ride out Wii U until 2018-2019 then it's over.

And fuck Nintendo if that's what they're gonna do. Seriously.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's it folks, pack it up, console gaming is dead. Our last hope was Nintendo and not even they can save us now.

Sony will milk us dry with yearly updates. This year it's $2000 for a PSVR, ps4k, and a 4K TV then next year it will be another $4000 for ps48k, psvr2 and an 8k TV.

Meanwhile Microsoft will steal all our consumer rights with draconian DRM plans, will spy on your children via Kinect and Cortana will steal your wife through hypnosis.

We need to fight this. Everyone to the build a PC thread, GabeN is our last hope.

You'll also have to pay more for the TV subscription plan and internet plan for those 4K content streaming to your 4K TV. Fuck Sony

Tratorn

Yes and devs being happy. Will this kill day 1 pat he's?!? Nope, but a happy dev is a + for the end user.

There is no reason devs would be happy about this, because it's just more extra work. They still have to focus on PS4 and XB1, so they can't do anything, that isn't possible on them. Only if they don't care that the standard PS4/XB1 versions run worse than they would've without PS4K, but that wouldn't be a good move for anyone.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Numerous devs has handled games across PS3/4/Vita fine for the past few years, and now suddenly they will see problem? Running game across PS4/4K should be much easier, considering that they are the same based machine.

wapplew

There is no reason devs would be happy about this, because it's just more extra work. They still have to focus on PS4 and XB1, so they can't do anything, that isn't possible on them. Only if they don't care that the standard PS4/XB1 versions run worse than they would've without PS4K, but that wouldn't be a good move for anyone.

Dev who do port job will be happy, more job for them; Dev who create the game couldn't care less since they only make 1 version and let others do the port; indie dev am cry.

Yep, it's additional time, resources and money to add in another target which developers are already short on.

I'd say Sony has been pretty good regarding leaks, but I think this is something you can't really pin down. I mean didn't we hear devs were openly talking about this at GDC? The tech is clearly out there so naturally people start talking and they do have sources.

Notice how Sony hasn't said Jack shit about any of this. Have they even made their patented. "We don't comment on rumor and speculation"? Maybe this info being out there lets them see how people are reacting to it and how to properly market this.

This is my guess

Got nothing sorry GAF. Maybe when I get back from my vacation.

On a side note. I still have not spoken to one person in the industry that has a nx kit or is going to support it. That's it. See you in a week.

Actually, I am not that surprised after what happened. I still do not think that many people will frantically go rush out to purchase an NX after what happened with the Wii U.

This is a exciting time to be a console gamer, we have a choice now, stick with out dated hardware for 6 years or upgrade mid generation.

Not sure if "exciting" is the correct word considering most existing PS4 users know that there will probably be a vaguely similar console that plays supposed superior versions of the same games. I think that is where most people have the issue with. It says, sorry guys, we goofed up on the PS4 specifications and horsepower. Here is the what the PS4 was supposed to be like in the first place. Now please pay $500 for the definitive experience that is finally powerful enough to support the original vision we had for virtual reality.

Honestly though, I think this PS4K supposedly exists mostly for extra horsepower virtual reality, but I guess we will see soon. The question I have is, why would Sony create a brand new console this early into the generation for VR or was the PS4 really why outdated? Could be a combination.

orochi91

Wouldn't 3.6Tflops put this under even the 7970? Even more so if the latter is OC'd?

Depends on the CPU, I suppose.

Since the OP says the PS4K has a new beefier CPU, coupled with the overclocked GPU, I'd say at least ~4Tflops should be possible.

It will probably be somewhere between an R9 280x and an R9 290.

Notice how Sony hasn't said Jack shit about any of this. Have they even made their patented. "We don't comment on rumor and speculation"? Maybe this info being out there lets them see how people are reacting to it and how to properly market this.

They have. And that's the thing: they won't comment on it any further.

Yes and devs being happy. Will this kill day 1 pat he's?!? Nope, but a happy dev is a + for the end user.

Would it be more difficult for developers to creating two different versions of PS4 games? It would likely be PS4, PS4K, PC, XBOX 1 and rumored Xbox 1.5 and I don't see how creating four to five different SKUs would be easy for developers..

Fredrik

Which would make dev more happy, leave weaker hardware behind, focus all energy to bring the best out of better hardware or make sure both hardware equally shine?
For first party devs it must be the second scenario, because you'd only have to optimize for one platform and you can safely push that hardware to the limit without older hw holding you back or adding customer annoyance because of your compromises.

In the first scenario everyone will suddenly be a multiplat dev and all the tricky choices suddenly appears. As in what do you do if you want your new game to really shine and one platform can hit 60fps but one can only hit 45fps? Downgrade the visuals or resolution on one to hit 60fps on both? Lock both to 30fps and upgrade the visuals? Or go 60fps with nice graphics on one and 30fps with some added effects on the other? Etc

And whatever you choose you'll have to deal with the usual multiplat difference complaints and talk about lazy devs etc etc.
I can't see how that would make a dev happy. :/

diaspora

Depends on the CPU, I suppose.

Since the OP says the PS4K has a new beefier CPU, coupled with the overclocked GPU, I'd say at least ~4Tflops should be possible.

It will probably be somewhere between an R9 280x and an R9 290.

What? Why would the CPU have any effect on the GPU's single precision processing power? If the "GPU power" is twice that of the PS4 at 1.8Tflops it'd be below the 7970 and 280X, much less than the 290.

orochi91

What? Why would the CPU have any effect on the GPU's single precision processing power? If the "GPU power" is twice that of the PS4 at 1.8Tflops it'd be below the 7970 and 280X, much less than the 290.

Brain fart, I dunno why I just combined the CPU and GPU, lmao

This makes me want to sell my PS4, to be honest. I originally got a PS4 because I thought it would be like a PS2 or PS3 where the best JRPGs would come to the system, but in reality I'm realizing that I only have a PS4 for FFXV and Persona 5 - and it looks like there is a strong possibility that FFXV is coming to PC.

I feel that, as soon as I'm well and truly done with Persona 5, my PS4 will barely ever get played again.

FC Bayern

We only just got out of the last gen completely and already they want to start having games split between two levels of hardware, which only ever seems to result in stagnation and lower quality games :(

diaspora

They could hit 8TF if they want, the question is how big, hot, and pricey they want the system to be. Though TBH, even at 4TF, 4K rendering on AAA games is more than likely out of the question.

Not sure if "exciting" is the correct word considering most existing PS4 users know that there will probably be a vaguely similar console that plays supposed superior versions of the same games. I think that is where most people have the issue with. It says, sorry guys, we goofed up on the PS4 specifications and horsepower. Here is the what the PS4 was supposed to be like in the first place. Now please pay $500 for the definitive experience that is finally powerful enough to support the original vision we had for virtual reality.

I don't see it that way it all, there simply giving you a choice. sony exclusives will still look great and will target 60fps compared to the ps4 version of 30fps, and with third party's they are already making games with higher specs in mind, so it's not gonna change anything unless man children wanna cry about there being a choice of buying better hardware, who cares you will still get the same experience anyway on ps4. Imo graphics are not going to get much better then uncharted 4, drive club, and the order, it's just takes up too much resources and money, games taking longer then ever these days. All I see ps4k doing is better resolution, AA and framerate.

longdi

Banned
I guess we should analyse why Sony is doing this.

They can sit in their ps4 leading comfort zone, make a slim cost down version and coast through another 3 years while bringing big money.

What makes them play this high risk card?

Consoles are imo very commoditized goods. People just buy one every gen and throw it under their cabinet and play the next GTA or FF. In Japan it is even dead.

Does Sony think they can successfully shake up this market and enjoy tablets/phones like success?

As gamer, I am fine with this move. We have a choice for more powerful consoles and PC hardware will get better utilised.

They can sit in their ps4 leading comfort zone, make a slim cost down version and coast through another 3 years while bringing big money.

Consoles are imo very commoditized goods. People just buy one every gen and throw it under their cabinet and play the next GTA or FF. In Japan it is even dead.

Does Sony think they can successfully shake up this market and enjoy tablets/phones like success?

As gamer, I am fine with this move. We have a choice for more powerful consoles and PC hardware will better utilised.

I think they can sell 20 million of these consoles the majority of sales will be from the regular ps4. Amd must have gave them a amazing deal.

Sony, please....reconsider this whole PS4K thing (just like MS should reconsider the XBO.5 thing) and just consolidate it and PSVR into a singular device.

It'll save you a lot of trouble going forward.

Great idea. Unite it and sell it as a package. Yeah, it might cost twice as much a s a regular PS4 and only 5-10% of PS4 buyers might also buy PSVR, and yes, it didn't work out perfectly fine with Kinect 2.0, but it's still a good idea. If you are MS.

ref

I think people need to get their expectations in check.

There is absolutely no way games will look the way they do now and run at 4k with a 399 system.

It's impossible.

Either games are going to get visually downgraded significantly if they are rendered at 4k, or it simply won't happen which is more realistic.

Regardless, if this ends up being true and they are releasing a new system, it really will be interesting what the adoption rate is.

I think people need to get their expectations in check.

There is absolutely no way games will look the way they do now and run at 4k with a 399 system.

It's impossible.

Either games are going to get visually downgraded significantly if they are rendered at 4k, or it simply won't happen which is more realistic.

This.

And people who think games will now target 60 fps are kidding themselves.

clintar

This makes me want to sell my PS4, to be honest. I originally got a PS4 because I thought it would be like a PS2 or PS3 where the best JRPGs would come to the system, but in reality I'm realizing that I only have a PS4 for FFXV and Persona 5 - and it looks like there is a strong possibility that FFXV is coming to PC.

I feel that, as soon as I'm well and truly done with Persona 5, my PS4 will barely ever get played again.

Yeah, so are you saying you now that there will be an upgraded PS4, realize you don't like any other RPGs that have come out for PS4 and only like these two games?

This.

And people who think games will now target 60 fps are kidding themselves.

Why it only make logical sense, there still has to be a PS4 version of the games, and with much extra power, they might as well have an option. Developers are already doing see the Division and last of us remastered.

Vena

Why it only make logical sense, there still has to be a PS4 version of the games, and with much extra power, they might as well.

30 to 60 with identical fidelity takes a lot more than 2x the GPU and CPU. Its not linear.

They'll focus on fidelity with a more stable 30.

As gamer, I am fine with this move. We have a choice for more powerful consoles and PC hardware will get better utilised.

1. Push 4k TVs, which they sell, too, and profit from 4k becoming the standard TV format within the mid- and premium-TV segments.
2. Push 4k Blu-Rays, because they get royalties from those.
3. Embrace themselves for actions of the competition, which won't wait another 8 years with their new console.
4. Look out for new profitable business models and balance out them cash flows over the generation's life-cycle.
5. Follow the needs of game developers which want more power and possibilities to sell the latest successors of their main IPs.

30 to 60 with identical fidelity takes a lot more than 2x the GPU and CPU. Its not linear.

That might not be the case .
They might go for 60 even with some frame drops and maybe little less effects .
Right now they go for 30 and we still get that .
Something like BF5 could go for 1080 instead of 900p .

I find this hard to believe considering how much the weak cpu is holding back the ps4, at 4tfops and a much better cpu, they should differently achieve 60fps if they really optimized for it. This is not pc were talking about here, ps4k should get better optimization.

wapplew

1. Push 4k TVs, which they sell, too, and profit from 4k becoming the standard TV format within the mid- and premium-TV segments.
2. Push 4k Blu-Rays, because they get royalties from those.
3. Embrace themselves for actions of the competition, which won't wait another 8 years with their new console.
4. Look out for new profitable business models and balance out them cash flows.
5. Follow the needs of game developers which want more power and possibilities to sell the latest successors of their main IPs.

1. Doesn't need 2x more power, simple 4K output will do the trick
2. Same
3. Possible, but doesn't have to go first, can take wait and see stand on that.
4. Hardware margin is small for them, cost down PS4 seems more profitable.
5. I thought keep making game on same hardware as long as possible is better for developer and publisher.

Fredrik

Imo graphics are not going to get much better then uncharted 4, drive club, and the order, it's just takes up too much resources and money, games taking longer then ever these days. All I see ps4k doing is better resolution, AA and framerate.
And that isn't all that important or what do you mean?
60fps Driveclub would take that game from an 8 to a 10 for me, it's that one thing that would take it from being subpar within the genre, everything else is awesome in that game.
Twice the framerate in first party games on PS4K would make me lose most if not all my interest in the original PS4 since I use the PC for multiplats and only use the PS4 for the exclusives. I'd feel like I was either forced to upgrade or ignore Sony exclusives until PS5 comes out.

1. Doesn't need 2x more power, simple 4K output will do the trick
2. Same
3. Possible, but doesn't have to go first, can take wait and see stand on that.
4. Hardware margin is small for them, cost down PS4 seems more profitable.
5. I thought keep making game on same hardware as long as possible is better for developer and publisher.

Not with all the stuff in the PS4. The system will just get more and more outdated while the price doesn't reflect it.

2thepoint

Imagine The Last of Us 2 and God of War 4 on this machine.

Or seeing Crash like a Pixar movie.

*Drooling with the possibilities.

ref

For what it's worth, if you wanted to play todays games at 4k 30 fps you'd need at least a 980ti, which is a 600-700 graphics card (and that's just the graphics card of a PC, not including everything else...), and even then, for more demanding titles turn down a few settings.

So the thought of 4k with todays visuals at a 399 price point is silly to say the least.

I think more realistically, it will support 4k output and upscale, but games will still target 1080p. Some developers will use the extra GPU horsepower for higher framerates, but there will still be some that will choose better visuals and keep the 30 fps cap, because I'm pretty sure 90% of the population with these consoles don't really care about framerate, and that's perfectly fine. Showing off a video with much better graphics will draw more attention from the mainstream audiences vs saying in a trailer '60 fps'.

First of all, the additional power will be used for PSVR and other, minor (!) enhancements, not 4k rendering. I thought we all agreed on that. So, you'll profit from that extra power if you own a FullHD as well.

Concerning hardware margins, it's more like making sure that even after hardware sales of the OG PS4 peak at some point, they can asure a steady flow of new PS4(k) users which then sign in to PS+ or buy new games.

Concerning games development, that depends on the project, I guess. Think of FF VII - Remake, announced for PS4. I guess we can agree that the last part will be released in a couple of years and it's not that unlikely that PS5 is already available at that point. But if you're EA and try to sell a FIFA or AC each year, then 8 year life-cycles are stupid, as the only thing you can do is to update player lists for example or just change the setting.

Oh, and besides, this time developers may even use the same developing environment, no need to switch from alien tech to x86 this time.

And that isn't all that important or what do you mean?
60fps Driveclub would take that game from an 8 to a 10 for me, it's that one thing that would take it from being subpar within the genre, everything else is awesome in that game.
Twice the framerate in first party games on PS4K would make me lose most if not all my interest in the original PS4 since I use the PC for multiplats and only use the PS4 for the exclusives. I'd feel like I was either forced to upgrade or ignore Sony exclusives until PS5 comes out.

You see I don't get this right here. You can ethere enjoy your ps4 or upgrade, it's like me saying I can't enjoy third party games cause there are better versions on pc, it's ridiculous, and all in your mind. yes 60fps makes a huge difference, but doesn't mean I can't enjoy what I have cause there is a better version.

2thepoint

The Last of Us 2 - PS4K - 1080@60
The Last of Us 2 - PS4 - 1080@30
Crash like a Pixar movie? :lol

See, I would be perfectly happy with this.

The extra power not diminishing the base game on the standard PS4.

But just giving 60FPS to those who want it, can afford it, and feel like PC is their only option to really play 60FPS with all the bells and whistles.

Best of both worlds.

And I will be shellshocked if Crash isn't one of the first nukes fired at the Sony conference in June.

Hold the phone a minute.

PS4K
Xbox1.5
NXtendo

Why should I buy any mid gen medium upgrade console when I can just wait 2/3 more years for next generation? If these consoles get the same games with a few graphic updates I'm just not sure enough people will care. As long as this doesn't continue and become more frequent it's cool to waste money I guess. Kinda suck if they expect me to pay full price for either version of the game though. But surely they won't sell PS4K games at a premium. That could just make early midgen adopters angry.

Sounds to me like we are getting a new generation of consoles way too early.

daman824

I highly doubt devs will target 60 fps versions of the same games. Or at least, that most will.

Getting as much as possible at 30fps is always what's the priority. Anyone who doesn't think Sony or any other publisher is going to use the ps4k version of exclusives in marketing is lying to themselves. On the back of these games boxes, it'll be pictures of the upgraded version, on TV and on the Internet, it'll be the upgraded version. Hell, I bet one of the ways the'll try and sell the system is to show the ps4k and the vanilla ps4 version of games running side by side.

And what about games that are already at 60fps like call of duty or battlefield? Sure battlefield will be at full 1080p now, but that's only what, a 40% pixel increase? What will they do with the rest of the power? Increase the fps past 60? No way.

Sure, some developers will just bump up the framerate. Probably a ton of smaller studios will. But a ton of developers, including first party ones, will focus on how the game looks, not how it runs. And it's going to start with games like god of war 4 that are being developed on the ps4k and then being ported down.

Top Bottom