• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Vorg

Banned
see but it allows those that didn't upgrade to do so at their pace, and price. want to only spend 200 every 3 years(in essence spending the same as if you upgraded once every 6), you can do that and get the new base system. want to only upgrade every 6 years for 400, you can do that and get the newest system. Want to get the new hot system every 3 years pay 400 each time.

You know there's already a system you can upgrade like that right? And tor the same price you'll probably be able to upgrade it with better hardware that will last you longer than those 3 years while still running games better than consoles. This just doesn't make sense for the console market in my opinion. It's how the console market dies.

Boke1879

Why is it personal? A slap in the face? What? Like who said you should bother with a new Playstation, don't buy it. Why shouldn't others buy it?
When other people buy a 150 dollar fight stick to help them play better do you rage against the manufacturer because it's not fair?
When people buy 300 dollar headsets do you complain to the manufacturer because they have a better experience?
What if another company made an add on for ps4 that say boosted it's power? Would you petition sony to ban it?
This so reminds me of destiny matchmaking threads. A hundred pages of people telling others they shouldn't get to do something. to be fair I argued that it may not be a great experience but I never argued against having options

Yea the hyperbole is getting way out of control to the point people feel personally offended. Again you don't have to buy this and you can be perfectly fine with your PS4 as it is. I've been happy with my PS4 and continue to be happy. That said whenever this comes to fruition and if it does offer a better experience I'll be buying it.

I highly doubt Sony or even the devs will leave behind 50+ million users in the OG ps4 and if they do It's dumbass move that will bite them in the ass. But having more options isn't a bad thing.

Moneal

You know there's already a system you can upgrade like that right? And tor the same price you'll probably be able to upgrade it with better hardware that will last you longer than those 3 years while still running games better than consoles. This just doesn't make sense for the console market in my opinion. It's how the console market dies.

I do know that and I have one. I like to play on consoles, i have more friends that play on consoles. It is how the console market survives. How many devs and pubs died last gen? A lot. They didn't have the resources to keep recoding and changing everything each gen due to different architecture.

Boke1879

And yet there is a huge population of gamers that would rather play on console. Again people are acting as if the PS4 OG is obsolete because of this.

A phone is not a console. Phone games don't cost 60 euros. No one asked for this. If I buy a console I expect it to have support and not be replaced for a set amount of time. We are not pc gamers. Want graphics buy a pc.

What does the price of software on a platform have anything to do with this topic? I think the way phones and their ecosystems continually adapt is a perfect example of how the console space can mature.

Why do so many PC gamers come across like sleazy car salesmen so often? Do you work off commission? I've never seen a group so concerned with where strangers play their video games.

'psst, hey kid, I got this 970, reeeeal cheap.'

Boogz

Banned
Booz is back! Now only if de

how was dinner ;)

Also, do you have any additional input on pricing/cpu upgrade

Dinner was great but nothing. I haven't seen some these guys since I left the industry so other issues were more important.

platina

Got nothing sorry GAF. Maybe when I get back from my vacation.

On a side note. I still have not spoken to one person in the industry that has a nx kit or is going to support it. That's it. See you in a week.

Lol, well damn...

Boogz

Banned
I hope so. I'm curious as to how devs will react to more target specs.

TD's love moves like this because it allows for teams to optimize their engines even further. Every dev wants other teams using their engines. Remember criterion during the age of ps2? Alex ward and camp made bank off that engine as well as ea.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

On a side note. I still have not spoken to one person in the industry that has a nx kit or is going to support it. That's it. See you in a week.

LOL holy fuck at that NX tidbit.

TD's love moves like this because it allows for teams to optimize their engines even further. Every dev wants other teams using their engines. Remember criterion during the age of ps2? Alex ward and camp made bank off that engine as well as ea.
Nice to hear. Hopefully Sony's close relationship with DICE and Epic especially pay off on this front.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

WTF at that NX tidbit. That can't be right...RIGHT!? haha

see but it allows those that didn't upgrade to do so at their pace, and price. want to only spend 200 every 3 years(in essence spending the same as if you upgraded once every 6), you can do that and get the new base system. want to only upgrade every 6 years for 400, you can do that and get the newest system. Want to get the new hot system every 3 years pay 400 each time.

This becomes problematic for developers though because now you have to determine which consoles to target, which one is the baseline and which ones to leave behind. The end result will be the latest and greatest versions of the system being under utilized in favor of the wider audience.

Oh.....wow. That could explain why nothing is leaking out for it I suppose.

That's a fair point, but the potential danger there is that you hit a point where too few are eager to upgrade, having created both uncertainty ("If I wait another six months someone may announce something better") and a system where players have access to a larger catalogue of games, leaving them too comfortbale with outdated technology; at that time, a true generational leap acts as a catalyst. I mentioned the TV comparison earlier, well whilst it's not wholly similar, it is one example of stagnation, due in part to content creators failing to make things for a market that was yet to appear, so it creates a vicious cycle, and the iterations become ever more conservative until something kickstarts things again.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, there are many upsides to this new appraoch (if indeed we are heading for an evolving console system), but I just think due to a thus far disappointing generation, many are perhaps a little too quick to look past the benefits a generational cycle has.

Retronix

There is going to be a pretty small time gap between announcing it and launching it.
It is scheduled to be released this year before Christmas.
It will cost $499.
Price drop on original model will not be happening this year. May or may not happen next year.
An official name for the PS4K has been decided. OsirisBlack can not leak it though.
It is going to be smaller than the standard PS4 model available now.
Current SKU lists it as having 500GB.
No PSVR SKU.
His source for all this is upper managers at three of the top game retailers in the US.

Twice the power inside a smaller case?, How the hell can that be possible?, I know there are some wizards at Sony, but for that to happen the APU needs to be more than 2 times more efficient and I don't think a GPU die shrink will be enough to do that, and we know AMD hasn't made the jump to 14 nm yet.

That just seem unfeasible.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Twice the power inside a smaller case?, How the hell can that be possible?, I know there are some wizards at Sony, but for that to happen the APU needs to be more than 2 times more efficient and I don't think a GPU die shrink will be enough to do that, and we know AMD hasn't made the jump to 14 nm yet.

That just seem unfeasible.

It's all just rumors for the PS5 coming out in the end of 2018

Boogz

Banned
WTF at that NX tidbit. That can't be right...RIGHT!? haha

With the nx I would say more likely TD's have them only to get a feel for how it runs on said company engines. That's pretty typical when it comes to nintendo hw. What I do know is two big mid level pubs currently have no plans to support it. Things change a lot though.

I remember someone on GAF (I don't remember who) said even mentioning the possession of a NX kit is in breach of Nintendo's crazy NDA. Could this be the reason why you never heard of sth?

So you're saying we could as well flip a coin? ;)
Nope, if there is backlash in Neogaf, imho, Sony should notice that and think again if what they are doing is really good for their bussiness.

If I understood everything Osiris et al said correctly, then old games will not run better on PS4k unless they get an update. But maybe framerate drops in certain games will be at least reduced anyhow?
I didn't read anything about games running better in the PS4k just beacuse. So I suppose there is some kind of compatibility mode that runs games exactly as if they were running in a PS4 if there is no PS4k patch.

Out of those examples which company fixed the issue, and which gave up on the product?
Everybody tried to fix the issue and no one gave up on the product. But it didn't turn out well for any of them.

high price will always be a barrier but the ps3 was not a bad "deal" it was just a new bluray player and they made it 599 so bad business model.

Whether they sell more than a few million 499 ps4K remains to be seen as well, many people may not buy it at first.... but the difference is if OGps4 gradually drops to 299, 249, 199 and meanwhile the ps4K goes from 499, 449, 399, there will be stuff for everyone. then perhaps even PS5 may drop but again it's just where in the life cycle do you want to be.

for me I may go into the 499 lifecycle if I can get maybe 200 for my ps4, but I may also wait, I'm pretty happy as is.
I am happy as is too. If there is a 499$ option I may feel forced to buy that so I don't feel I am missing on anything, but there is going to be a lot of people that are going to feel like Sony let them down. Me included.
Then, pray tell, what made you think PS VR might be great to begin with, if all it took was an incremental hardware upgrade to throw you off?

There's been nothing about these rumors so far that have suggested the PS4 and PS4K wouldn't share the exact same games library, except for the performance optimizations that the 4k hardware would allow. So your concern about the PS4 not getting the same amount of support is unfounded.

As for whether the VR experience will be great on the PS4, we've got at least a year's worth of hands-on demos from various tradeshows and events where the PSVR rig has been used with PS4 hardware. Plenty of impressions saying the experience was at least great, if not necessarily the absolute best. We already knew that before the rumors of a PS4K even existed. It changes nothing.
If Sony releases a more powerful PS4, and I understand it is released so they can provide great VR experiences, then I feel like Sony doesn't believe the PS4 has enough power to provide decent VR experiences. If Sony doesn't believe in their own product, why should I?

Actually, there wasnt this much backslash when PS3 at $599 come out... this is way more.

As to DRM, sure... more than this.
There was a decent amount of backlash. Specially since a lot of people felt like the price increase was because of the blu-ray player. And that wasn't something people desperately wanted nor helped PS3 games in any meaningful way.

Boogz

Banned
I remember someone on GAF (I don't remember who) said even mentioning the possession of a NX kit is in breach of Nintendo's crazy NDA. Could this be the reason why you never heard of sth?

Never heard anything like that. Would be silly if you ask me imo. Nintendo needs all the support they can get right now. If a dev says "we have kits" I don't see the problem as that is showing ninty is reaching out to devs to get more support. Software droughts suck so a dev just putting that info out should be a positive.

LurkingFear

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Rggt6GY.gif

Muzicfreq

Banned
People will buy PS5 once the price is right and the marketing is good .
People like new tech plus they have been condition that in every other industry there tech gets old by the year .

Enthusiasts like new tech and have been conditioned
Not the majority that sits outside of GAF

You know what's hilarious? Some of these same people saying they would upgrade day 1 are some of the same people I seen claiming in the past that graphics and performance doesn't matter to them. Gameplay was everything and they still play the SNES, PS1, and PS2 games.(not there is anything wrong with going retro from time to time, but the rest of that is still hilarious)Which is it? Graphics and performance matter when your favorite company do something nice for you? Or....did they always matter and you just said whatever you had to in order to justify your purchase?

orochi91

How are we getting this much news about the PS4K, yet nothing on the XB1.5 or NX?

Either Sony is leaky is fuck, or perhaps the other two aren't shipping their platforms this year.

How are we getting this much news about the PS4K, yet nothing on the XB1.5 or NX?

Either Sony is leaky is fuck, or the other two perhaps aren't shipping their platforms this year.

Its a good question, but there seems to be evidence NX isn't getting a lot of love in the industry. Even Patrick said he knows nothing about it. MS I think are playing their cards super close to their chest atm, and aren't telling very many teams about it at all. We know Sony actively courted devs at GDC and that's going to get the word out. I'm betting MS is having smaller meetings with just a few select devs, likely Epic, DICE, etc. Engine heavy stuff.

Boke1879

Either Sony is leaky is fuck, or the other two perhaps aren't shipping their platforms this year.

I'd say Sony has been pretty good regarding leaks, but I think this is something you can't really pin down. I mean didn't we hear devs were openly talking about this at GDC? The tech is clearly out there so naturally people start talking and they do have sources.

Notice how Sony hasn't said Jack shit about any of this. Have they even made their patented. "We don't comment on rumor and speculation"? Maybe this info being out there lets them see how people are reacting to it and how to properly market this.

Enthusiasts like new tech and have been conditioned
Not the majority that sits outside of GAF

Yes they have .
Do you really think people don't know that a better phone , tv , car , tablet , laptop , etc etc are going to come out in the next year.
People know this and they still buy stuff .
The question is just what factors going to matter the most to them.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Yes they have .
Do you really think people don't know that a better phone , tv , car , tablet , laptop , etc etc are going to come out in the next year.
People know this and they still buy stuff .

Phone: Sure but most people don't even use their phones how they ar made to be used these days and don't really care.

TV, Sure but if theirs is still going and they're fine with it they wont go rushing out to buy a new one and currently 4K isn't a good enough excuse for the majority that have 1080p displays from sales at $500 for 50"

Car..... doesn't belong in this argument AT ALL

Tablet... And the adoption rate of the new ones lately are kinda in the Meh market since people are fine with their phones that do the SAME EXACT THING

Laptop... You see alot of laptops? I see like 1 every once in a bluemoon but isn't bought every year usually.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do so many PC gamers come across like sleazy car salesmen so often? Do you work off commission? I've never seen a group so concerned with where strangers play their video games.

Hahaha.

On a serious note, I never get the whole, "there is already a system for that" argument. Seems rather a sad argument in a world that cries for options. Why not more options? Let the market dictate it.

Yea the hyperbole is getting way out of control to the point people feel personally offended. Again you don't have to buy this and you can be perfectly fine with your PS4 as it is. I've been happy with my PS4 and continue to be happy. That said whenever this comes to fruition and if it does offer a better experience I'll be buying it.

I highly doubt Sony or even the devs will leave behind 50+ million users in the OG ps4 and if they do It's dumbass move that will bite them in the ass. But having more options isn't a bad thing.

Agreed. Now all of a sudden we don't want options in a medium we bitch about options, like fucking on the daily.

Boogz

Banned

Either Sony is leaky is fuck, or perhaps the other two aren't shipping their platforms this year.

I'll be honest, after working with ninty for years I don't think nx is a console. I think it's a hand held. I think ninty will wait for next gen to announce their new console. This is my opinion which others also believe.

Laptop... You see alot of laptops? I see like 1 every once in a bluemoon but isn't bought every year usually.

You see laptops once in a blue moon? Like, in a cave, or forest or something?

This is perfect. lol

Phone: Sure but most people don't even use their phones how they ar made to be used these days and don't really care.

TV, Sure but if theirs is still going and they're fine with it they wont go rushing out to buy a new one and currently 4K isn't a good enough excuse for the majority that have 1080p displays from sales at $500 for 50"

Car..... doesn't belong in this argument AT ALL

Tablet... And the adoption rate of the new ones lately are kinda in the Meh market since people are fine with their phones that do the SAME EXACT THING

I can list more stuff if you don't get my point .
Side note you hardly see laptops ?
Also of course tablets sales are down they sold a huge amount very fast .
But they still sold over 200 million last year and detachables are growing .

Top Bottom