• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godslay

Banned
It is.

Anyway, let's keep this going. Full steam ahead!

Prove it. Standard EULA clause applied in the US...

Limited Software Warranty; License Agreement, and Information Use Disclosures

This document may be updated from time to time and the current version will be posted at www.rockstargames.com/eula. Your continued use of this Software 30 days after a revised version has been posted constitutes acceptance by you of its terms.
THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THIS SOFTWARE (DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LIMITED SOFTWARE WARRANTY AND LICENSE AGREEMENT (THE "AGREEMENT") AND THE TERMS SET FORTH BELOW. THE "SOFTWARE" INCLUDES ALL SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH THIS AGREEMENT, THE ACCOMPANYING MANUAL(S), PACKAGING AND OTHER WRITTEN, FILES, ELECTRONIC OR ON-LINE MATERIALS OR DOCUMENTATION, AND ANY AND ALL COPIES OF SUCH SOFTWARE AND ITS MATERIALS. BY OPENING THE SOFTWARE, INSTALLING, AND/OR USING THE SOFTWARE AND ANY OTHER MATERIALS INCLUDED WITH THE SOFTWARE, YOU HEREBY ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT WITH TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE, INC. ("LICENSOR"). IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
I. LICENSE

Rich!

So wait 6 months and get a factory sealed game for about the same price you'd buy it used.

Even when I can buy it at least a tenner cheaper days after release preowned? Or get a preowned bargain from a mate or on eBay? Nah, according to you I should wait months untila brand new copy is cheap enough

derp?

Man

Boom... another one atleast acknowledges that his twitter feed is getting hit :)

HAt3lJA.png
Add to OP. :)

Godslay

Banned
You should read up on the latest EU hearings regarding the resale of Steam games.

Unlike in the USA, the EU doesn't take kindly to consumers being fucked in the ass.

I understand that you can, but how do you go about doing so? Same for Origin, PSN, or XBLA games?

The Lamp

I did my part. Tweeted to all the people in the OP about region-free, free online play, and no DRM and letting us play used games. Don't make the mistake Microsoft will, Sony!

Into

There is a possibility that they arent doing any of these things and are just now enjoying all the attention, they can even claim that they listened to their "passionate fans" and make it seem like the people "won", when they probably made the decision internally on their own merit.

Not saying you guys should stop or anything, absolutely not. I am just presenting the theory that Sony might see this as a way of coming across as the "good guy" after the whole MS debacle

zeopower6

This is beyond silly. They've already made a decision on this and they aren't going to change their mind based on popular opinion. They stand to make MORE money by doing the same thing Microsoft is doing because then everyone will just have to deal with the change.

Did you read the other thread that led to this one? They were going to implement the used-game-DRM up until a while ago but now, it doesn't look like that's happening anymore due to the reaction towards Microsoft doing it. Things could still change though.

Man

Not saying you guys should stop or anything, absolutely not. I am just presenting the theory that Sony might see this as a way of coming across as the "good guy" after the whole MS debacle
The PR benefit is well deserved in that case because they are genuinely the good guys if they follow through with no draconian DRM.

#carryingthefire

Boke1879

There is a possibility that they arent doing any of these things and are just now enjoying all the attention, they can even claim that they listened to their "passionate fans" and make it seem like the people "won", when they probably made the decision internally on their own merit.

Whatever works, but I refuse to not have my voice be heard on this issue.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I wouldn't mind. Whether it's from their initial decision or listening to their fans, either would make them the good guy.

Exactly. Sony is seen as the last stop. All they need to do is capitalize on it (not saying they will but it never hurts to make our point clear to them.)

If they act as a "good guy" after this and then go ahead and add the DRM to the PS4 then we should expect the backlash to be higher than Microsoft Xbone levels.

Hey guys, would be advantageous to be clear with the foundations of the message? Some examples off the top of my head:

• Legitimate customers do not want to own a software's license, simply the right to own their copy of the software
  • Legitimate customers are given value for their software purchases when they can trade/exchange that software
  • Legitimate customers buy more software as their exposure to software increases; rental/used/lending encourages this
  • Legitimate customers are inclined to buy when they feel they have an economic advantage

Rich!

You never answered as to how one resells PSN, XBLA, Steam, Origin, IOS, Android, and other games back in the EU or AUS. I'm genuinely curious.

The retailer has to implement a system that allows the resell of digital games. Green Man Gaming do it already.

the particular case I'm talking about is ongoing, but the outcome looks like reselling digital content will have to be an option for consumers.

How does one go about reselling digital content in the EU or AUS? Richisawesome won't respond back.

I think its tied up in the courts right now, something like that.

Anyway no one is arguing you own the code on the disc or anything like that for copyright purposes. People just want to be able to trade, lend or give away the physical discs to friends and family not to mention sell games when they're done with them or not happy about them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Of course that's a possibility, but as long as they don't screw it up, they can enjoy the attention and take the good PR.

We gotta thank Geoff for having said this about the PS4 DRM. What's worrying is that they thought about putting it in the first place, the gen after this is gonna be a nightmare for gamers.

Sanctuary

I love how so many people whine about the subscription fee for XBL, when it is actually better than Sony's "free" service. I guess though since so many people play on wireless and end up with a crummy connection anyway, they can't tell the difference.

Godslay

Banned
The retailer has to implement a system that allows the resell of digital games. Green Man Gaming do it already.

the particular case I'm talking about is ongoing, but the outcome looks like reselling digital content will have to be an option for consumers.

So it's not an option now? From what I am reading, they can't oppose you reselling it, but don't have to give you an avenue to do so. Could be reading it wrong though. I'm all for reselling digital content, but will they do it?

Akihidas

I love how so many people whine about the subscription fee for XBL, when it is actually better than Sony's "free" service. I guess though since so many people play on wireless and end up with a crummy connection anyway, they can't tell the difference.

And what does this have to do with anything?

That doesn't have anything to do with this thread...

Rich!

Really? Do people really believe this still in 2013? Wow.

Moxx19

Banned

Dude, take the "console wars" nonsense elsewhere. Its really not necessary.

njean777

Umm, no, please just stop.

tumblr_m5w9qpUKhq1r5jtugo1_400.gif

EDIT: goddamnit Forceatowulf!

The Lamp

This might be the most important collective movement the gaming community does to communicate to the leaders of the industry that has happened in years.

It's time to tell these executives to not screw around with our rights as consumers.

What on earth?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

This may have been true in 2005 but 2013? No way.

Please explain in detail what on earth this has to do with anything outside of fanboy loyalties.

Sanctuary

This may have been true in 2005 but 2013? No way.

I'm not talking about services that both have in common. I'm strictly speaking about server stability and bandwith when playing multiplayer games. There's still a huge difference.

Please explain in detail what on earth this has to do with anything outside of fanboy loyalties.

Do you guys simply read half of a post before replying? And I'm not loyal to any specific company, because I buy all of the systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom