• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The campaign is more powerful if it's like:

"Hey Sony, Microsoft has done something really stupid, now go on and prove you're on the side of the true gamer, by not doing the same! The whole world is watching!"

Also, Microsoft has already received their fair share of shit for this.

There really are some romantic views of the giant corporation that is Sony out there.

They are a money machine like anyone else. The Side of true gamers, That's the indies and little guys on pc.

Ramenman

Guys, internet message board posters are only a vocal minority of actual customers.
Sony's plans are already set in stone, and if you end up liking them more than Microsoft's, it won't be because of a few twitspams.

It's like DLC, or Online Passes or whatever. Very few people actually get mad over it, that's why they're still here.

Gori

There really are some romantic views of the giant corporation that is Sony out there.

They are a money machine like anyone else. The Side of true gamers, That's the indies and little guys on pc.

Of course they're a money making machine. What this is doing is putting the issue out in the open fully. Now Sony shouldn't be able to just-do-what-MS-did-sort-of - we're making it clear that we're watching and will make a shitstorm about it if they make the wrong decision.

And believe me, big corporations don't want social media shitstorms about their brands. If you think they don't care about that - it's your view of corporations that is wrong, not ours.

Xbudz

Guys, internet message board posters are only a vocal minority of actual customers.
Sony's plans are already set in stone, and if you end up liking them more than Microsoft's, it won't be because of a few twitspams.

It's like DLC, or Online Passes or whatever. Very few people actually get mad over it, that's why they're still here.

Except EA removed online passes, and other publishers will follow suit once Sony and MS come clean with their plans.

Watch as MS back-pedals on their used games and always online policies.

Salaadin

One of the reasons this whole campaign started is because Sony's plans are not set in stone yet, if famousmortimer is to be believed

Krabardaf

This idea is rather dumb to me. I wouldn't like to be one of the person GAF spams. Do you think they aren't aware of what you, the vast minority of buyers, think?

Not saying they don't care, but being aggressive with all this spam won't deserve your purpose.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
One of the reasons this whole campaign started is because Sony's plans are not set in stone yet, if famousmortimer is to be believed

Sony would be stupid not to leverage this giant shitstorm and not turn it into an ad campaign.

"Playstation 4, play the only true next gen console that is not constantly watching you." /usedgames + no drm

It basically writes itself.

This idea is rather dumb to me. I wouldn't like to be one of the person GAF spams. Do you think they aren't aware of what you, the vast minority of buyers, think?

Not saying they don't care, but being aggressive with all this spam won't deserve your purpose.

I am sure that public demonstrations would be more successful if one person would politely ask the opposing party to stop instead of marching through the city with a few thousand people.

tusken77

Went to bed just after we started this, woke up to see it now getting big. Keep it up Euro GAF!

Z3sokrE.png

Gori

Sorry, but telling someone how you feel on social media isn't spam. These are official twitter accounts, this is what they're there for, it's not someones private home email.

But again: Conversation beats broadcasting. Just discussing it with friends over Twitter, with the appropriate hashtags and sometimes a mention of a twitter account, is definitely a better way to do it.

Of course they're a money making machine. What this is doing is putting the issue out in the open fully. Now Sony shouldn't be able to just-do-what-MS-did-sort-of - we're making it clear that we're watching and will make a shitstorm about it if they make the wrong decision.

And believe me, big corporations don't want social media shitstorms about their brands. If you think they don't care about that - it's your view of corporations that is wrong, not ours.

But with ea dropping the online pass something is coming, we know it. Their hands are tied.

They do care indeed but we are a small number of people in the grand scheme of things, the whole dedicated gamer core is. They can kick up a stink but the average consumer rarely even notices. The big companies would prefer to avoid it though for sure.

ascii42

Read the original post. The whole premise behind the thread is that Sony's plans are not set in stone, and may be already reconsidering.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know how much this sort of thing works, but I hope it does. Otherwise Wii U going main (and only, by default) console of choice this upcoming gen

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But with ea dropping the online pass something is coming, we know it. Their hands are tied.

They do care inded but we are a small number of people in the grand scheme of things, the whole dedicated gamer core is. They can kick up a stink but the average consumer rarely even notices. The big companies would prefer to avoid it though for sure.

The big issue here is that we are all a bit fucked if Sony does it too, because then we'll run out of options and most will swallow the pill. But if we get Sony to understand that its to THEIR advantage monetary-wise, they might listen. If people could possibly decide to go PS4 over X1 due to this, its a decision that Sony needs to ponder. And if it works that way, and MS truly loses customers over this, they might change that policy again as well.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Who buys the majority of software/hardware on a per person basis.

Ragus

Banned
Folks, how about sending info about this twitter trend to local gaming-news websites? That can make some more noise.

Krabardaf

I am sure that public demonstrations would be more successful if one person would politely ask the opposing party to stop instead of marching through the city with a few thousand people.
Public demonstration are generally organized and short.
Now if you think a riot is needed in the PS4 scenario, well, okay.

I just think you are "expressing your opinion" to people that are already well aware of it, and that may even share it. It must simply be plain annoying for them. How the fact that this is via twitter makes it less spamming remains quite mysterious to me.

You're showing muscles, but everybody knows you're still a vocal minority.
It's not at all like workers going on a strike because they boss is disconnected from reality.

In the end the plans of Sony won't change, they have a much broader vision, and you'll only have wasted the time of a few people. Once again, would you like to be the person receiving your messages?

PS : I'm totally okay with hashtags, as they don't target anyone.

edit :
Who buys the majority of software/hardware on a per person basis.
I'm saying the currently angry gamers represent a small percentage of all software/hardware sales in the lifetime of the console. That they buy more games changes nothing to that.
And that isn't even considering most angry gamers right now will still buy the PS4 regardless.

THE:MILKMAN

Has anyone thought this might be a moot point?

I assume you mean Sony had already decided against DRM/no used games?

If that is the case, then they should have made this clear as soon as it was decided. Don't be "saving" this news for a E3 megaton, Sony.

I think a full page ad in the NYT (depending on section) is about $175k. While I have never contributed to kickstarter, I'd give money to place ads in national media to draw attention to the anti-consumer DRM. There are some talented people on here that could design it.

MasLegio

Banned
Sony has more incentive not to implement DRM tbh: Japanese market, European market and legislation. How powerful are publishers really? That's the question we need to ask

they are targeting South America and Asia as well where online is not as good as in Europe.
giant markets that would be lost with such DRM

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I tweeted as well and did my duty.

jaosobno

We can also make news headlines that millions will read. As I write this, news about this initiative is hitting major gaming sites. When people read this they will talk about this with their friends and family. The word will spread.

All revolutions start with a small group of people hell bent on changing things. We are this small group. Your defeatist stance is very sad.

Ramenman

Sony would be stupid not to leverage this giant shitstorm and not turn it into an ad campaign.

"Playstation 4, play the only true next gen console that is not constantly watching you." /usedgames + no drm

It basically writes itself.

And if they did, it would make me laugh, and I would find it genius, like most of GAF. That's because I, like most of GAF, am part of the "in the know" enthusiast minority, so I would understand the joke, just like you.

But my point is, when you're Sony, you don't build a marketing plan for a small minority of your audience. Just like you don't decide on your DRM policies based on what that small minority thinks. Just my two cents.

This is going to end up with some dramatic readings by quasi-famous actors.

Haha, it could, yes.

Toma

And if they did, it would make me laugh, and I would find it genius, like most of GAF. That's because I, like most of GAF, am part of the "in the know" enthusiast minority, so I would understand the joke, just like you.

But my point is, when you're Sony, you don't build a marketing plan for a small minority of your audience. Just like you don't decide on your DRM policies based on what that small minority thinks. Just my two cents.

Its not about people already knowing, its about making people think. Even people "not in the know" would realize that the "other" console is MS Xbox if they are somewhat interested in buying/owning a console. And then its just about associating negative aspects with that console. I am pretty sure most console gamers, even the non-hardcore ones would make the connection eventually.

dosh

Public demonstration are generally organized and short.
Now if you think a riot is needed in the PS4 scenario, well, okay.

I just think you are "expressing your opinion" to people that are already well aware of it, and that may even share it. It must simply be plain annoying for them. How the fact that this is via twitter makes it less spamming remains quite mysterious to me.

You're showing muscles, but everybody knows you're still a vocal minority.
It's not at all like workers going on a strike because they boss is disconnected from reality.

In the end the plans of Sony won't change, they have a much broader vision, and you'll only have wasted the time of a few people. Once again, would you like to be the person receiving your messages?

PS : I'm totally okay with hashtags, as they don't target anyone.

I kind of agree with you about the annoying part, but as I watch this spread on Twitter, less and less people target specific accounts, and only the hashtags remain. Which is the point, in the end.

I think they can handle a day of spamming, and in any case it's worth the shot.

Perhaps somebody can try to get the reddit community involved. The reddit community is highly influential on matters like SOPA.

Edit: Nevermind.

lucius

If Microsoft doesn't back down and change their minds, Sony will have to eventually follow. I could of sworn Sony kind of said they would leave it up to developers, but their own games would not implement it, the problem is if Microsoft really pushes this through thats it, we all will most likely have to accept it and so will Sony sooner rather than later. So unless Microsoft backs down which it is still possible, it might be kind of a losing fight trying to convince Sony of anything. Game industry still needs the used game markets and retail for a few more years at least.

The big issue here is that we are all a bit fucked if Sony does it too, because then we'll run out of options and most will swallow the pill. But if we get Sony to understand that its to THEIR advantage monetary-wise, they might listen. If people could possibly decide to go PS4 over X1 due to this, its a decision that Sony needs to ponder. And if it works that way, and MS truly loses customers over this, they might change that policy again as well.

Agreed so we need to pressure ea heavily as a big pusher of this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom