• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

N.A said:
This isn't the return of otherOS, it is a linux bootloader with low level access. RSX support is almost certain.

You can run Ubuntu smoothly on a 7-8 year old computer with 512mb ram so it should eventually run great on PS3. And with lightweight distributions such as Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux you could easily get a very fast and stable OS running.

I could be wrong, but the PS3 has only 256 MB of system RAM and additional 256 MB of VRAM. It's not unified like on the Xbox 360

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
brotkasten said:
I could be wrong, but the PS3 has only 256 MB of system RAM and additional 256 MB of VRAM. It's not unified like on the Xbox 360
You're correct.

Zoe

Mr_Brit said:
For those anticipating the return of otherOS what is the point? Since we will most likely get CFW soon enough shouldn't that be a lot more preferable to otherOS

You must be pretty optimistic.

It seems someone found a way to allow a Sixaxis to launch PSgroove. He released a video showing it in action and promises some news real quick (like in tomorrow).

We'll have to wait and see if it's not fake, and if only Sixaxis is supported or if it'll work on DS3's

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Finally gave it a try (in anticipation of a RSX accelerated XBMC-linux version) using my Nexus One on my old and dying PS3 fat. Worked as simply as I expected, though using the N1 at each boot would become a huge hassle :p
Now waiting for Linux with full access to RSX and for the magic to begin :)

InternHertz said:
It seems someone found a way to allow a Sixaxis to launch PSgroove. He released a video showing it in action and promises some news real quick (like in tomorrow).

We'll have to wait and see if it's not fake, and if only Sixaxis is supported or if it'll work on DS3's
Link to video?

InternHertz said:

:lol

i hope this is true seeing as the psp port is no more

Relix said:
Well that's it. How is Sony gonna allow us to play our consoles? :lol
:lol :lol

I still am not believing that video is legit until its been confirmed by others here. Although if it is, then its very interesting to say the least.

N.A

Banned
A warning: There are some fake PS3 apps going round, one claiming to be a PSP emulator. DO NOT DOWNLOAD, IT WILL BRICK YOUR PS3.

There is also someone claiming to have a linux distro ready called PlayOS and will release it soon. I have no idea if it's real or not but everyone should avoid downloading anything that hasn't been verified.

luca_29_bg

ara3538x403.png

Now It's begin seriously ^^

Thanks to PS Jailbreak, I’ve been able to finally make a proper running version of the first custom PS-Dedicated operating system which I have called “PlayOS”.

* PlayOS is a Linux-Based system.
* It takes up 730MB of your external hard drive as it runs off External Media (Backup Manager).
* Easy to use.
* Built-in dedicated web browser “PlayBrowse”.
* Compatible with v3.41 firmware only.
* You need to have a development board!
NOTE: It will not work with mobile phones except the Nokia N900 (Will have to look into this).
* Video coming soon.
* Hardware acceleration (just like OS X) enabled. --- This means .mkv files in 1080p!
* Support for file types:
.zip // .tar // .gz // .mp3 // .avi // .mp4 // .divx
.exe – ONLY PlayOS Coded ones! --- Windows applications will not work with this!

I'm really wondering what I should buy with all those options.
I narrowed it down to 3 products, and the key element I search is flexibility

1) Development board, currently looking at Minimus.
Strong points : well you can put whatever's coming out
Minus or unknown points : "only" 16kb memory (don't know if anything will need more in the future). not user friendly.

2) PS3key.
Strong points : team wiikey behind it, 32kb memory.
Minus or unknown points : don't know if loading an open source psgroove and maybe reflash to ps3key's proprietary code will work or not, don't know if we can update the bin payload as well.

3) ecliPS3.
Strong points : flexible, you can flash whatever you want, be it open source psgroove or their own code, it detects which is which and adapts the code to work. You can even change the bin payload.
Minus or unknown points : don't know how many memory there's in.

Some thoughts on this ?

N.A

Banned
InternHertz said:
I'm really wondering what I should buy with all those options.
I narrowed it down to 3 products, and the key element I search is flexibility

1) Development board, currently looking at Minimus.
Strong points : well you can put whatever's coming out
Minus or unknown points : "only" 16kb memory (don't know if anything will need more in the future). not user friendly.

2) PS3key.
Minus or unknown points : don't know if loading an open source psgroove and maybe reflash to ps3key's proprietary code will work or not, don't know if we can update the bin payload as well.

3) ecliPS3.
Strong points : flexible, you can flash whatever you want, be it open source psgroove or their own code, it detects which is which and adapts the code to work. You can even change the bin payload.
Minus or unknown points : don't know how many memory there's in.

Some thoughts on this ?

Firstly wait to see if the supposed "PS3 controller" hack is real (unlikely).

If not, get anything that you can flash yourself. If you get a dedicated device you'll be waiting for updates from the manufacturer everytime there is a new development.

I'm happy with the minimus but the 16kb of flash memory is already limiting as the Linux bootloader marcan is working on needs at least 64kb (though apparenly there will be a workaround). If you are interested in Linux marcan seems to recommend the ATMega64 or ATMega128.

androvsky

luca_29_bg said:

Thanks to PS Jailbreak, I’ve been able to finally make a proper running version of the first custom PS-Dedicated operating system which I have called “PlayOS”.

* It takes up 730MB of your external hard drive as it runs off External Media (Backup Manager).
* Easy to use.
NOTE: It will not work with mobile phones except the Nokia N900 (Will have to look into this).
* Video coming soon.

Linux-based? So what kernel is he basing it off of? Or is he talking about all stuff like X and libc which would take months of large teams to port to GameOS?

* Hardware acceleration (just like OS X) enabled. --- This means .mkv files in 1080p!

That's not what hardware acceleration means. 1080p .mkv support requires the ability to use Sony's video decoding libraries, it would've been possible on the old OtherOS without hardware acceleration.

.exe – ONLY PlayOS Coded ones! --- Windows applications will not work with this!

And he's made his own executable format too? Coincidentally one that can easily be confused with virus-carrying Windows executables?

I have my doubts.

luca_29_bg said:
ara3538x403.png

* Easy to use.
* Video coming soon.
what does, "you need to have a development board!" mean?

edit: oh, it's fake. nm.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why would someone code a "built-in dedicated web browser?" when all major browsers are Linux compatible and it would take years of an entire team working to develop new rendering engines from scratch? Why would someone trumpet "built in" support for various file types? If it's Linux, it'll compile programs and libraries written for Linux, and support for everything will be instantaneous. Linux is Linux is Linux. Why ".exe", a Windows file extension--no *nix variant uses file extensions for executable files? "Only PlayOS coded ones"? What does this even mean? If it's Linux, all executables are going to be compiled with standard GNU toolchains. Any GCC executable is going to work and no ".exe" files.

What a joke.

When someone makes an actual OtherOS, they'll be talking about the things Marcan is talking about. Which is to say low level, bare metal, technical stuff. They're not going to release dozens of applications, they're going to show their progress as they overcome low level technical hurdles.

RE: Why? as above.

Because there are some coders who get a real kick out of writing everything themselves, just to say they can. Not saying it's right or wrong.

Stumpokapow said:
Why would someone code a "built-in dedicated web browser?" when all major browsers are Linux compatible and it would take years of an entire team working to develop new rendering engines from scratch? Why would someone trumpet "built in" support for various file types? If it's Linux, it'll compile programs and libraries written for Linux, and support for everything will be instantaneous. Linux is Linux is Linux. Why ".exe", a Windows file extension--no *nix variant uses file extensions for executable files? "Only PlayOS coded ones"? What does this even mean? If it's Linux, all executables are going to be compiled with standard GNU toolchains. Any GCC executable is going to work and no ".exe" files.

What a joke.

When someone makes an actual OtherOS, they'll be talking about the things Marcan is talking about. Which is to say low level, bare metal, technical stuff. They're not going to release dozens of applications, they're going to show their progress as they overcome low level technical hurdles.
I don't understand. what is the motivation people have to fake shit? I just...I don't get it. the PSP guy and now this? why?

androvsky

Visualante said:
RE: Why? as above.

Because there are some coders who get a real kick out of writing everything themselves, just to say they can. Not saying it's right or wrong.

No coder gets a kick out of coding a usable web browser by themselves, trust me. If someone does code a web browser, by himself, in the span of a couple weeks, it's going to be completely useless beyond loading a couple of simple test pages.

xero273

besiktas1 said:
cure my ignorance other than bs other peoples work (which I'm grateful for) what has he done to contribute?

Are you talking about marcan? marcan did a lot of work on the wii homebrew scene

besiktas1

f3Jnz.png

Thanks to PS Jailbreak, I’ve been able to finally make a proper running version of the first custom PS-Dedicated operating system which I have called “cOS”.

* cOS is a Linux-Based system.
* It takes up 1337MB of your external hard drive as it runs off External Media (Backup Manager).
* Easy to use.
* Built-in dedicated web browser (Firefox).
* Compatible with v3.41 firmware and below.
* You need to have a jailbreak device!
* Video coming soon.
* Hardware acceleration enabled.

besiktas1 said:
Osaes.png

Thanks to PS Jailbreak, I’ve been able to finally make a proper running version of the first custom PS-Dedicated operating system which I have called “cOS”.

* It takes up 1337MB of your external hard drive as it runs off External Media (Backup Manager).
* Easy to use.
* Video coming soon.

Most believe its fake.

Edit: Wait, you did this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
besiktas1 said:

* Easy to use.
* Video coming soon.

Well sign me up day one! I'm a believer!

I hate trolls in any coding scene more than I hate forum trolls on video game forums. I guess we just gotta wait until whatever is said, is actually released.

Sew

BigBadShamoo said:
I hate trolls in any coding scene more than I hate forum trolls on video game forums.
+ 1,000. Forum trolls are just jerks or whatever, but people who make grabs at fame like this are something else all together. It's kind of creepy.

Some more textbook examples:

Nworksdev and his iPhone N64 emulator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJqXqZUZtU

'Devil64' for Wiz: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53982-devil-64-newest-news/

And a real oldie, Genesis for GP32: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/3214-genesis-emulater

The tactics never change.

3rdman

Well I finally joined the party! Someone named DanL on the PSX-Scene forums has been busy all day and night and providing rockbox.ipod files to all manner of iPods (with support for BM, of course).

I tested it out on U2 and it works a treat once I deleted my old update files. Is there a way to update titles without logging into PSN?

I want to rip Stranglehold next but not because of the game. Since I own the collectors version, there is an HD version of "Hard Boiled" on the disk that I'd like to include in my media server. Has anyone else tried this?

bathala

Banned
since I don't have any device from the compatibility list, I bought a PSBreak dongle

I was skeptic ordering from Chinese vendor specially with the Chinese Custom seizing PS3JB

it finally arrived in US and might get it on Monday :D

tino

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I can't afford another PS3 right now and mine is on 3.42 but I'm hoping that by the time I can afford another, the firmware of that one will be hackable.
I brought a 3.13 ATT iPhone back in March, at the time only 3.12 iPhone could be jailbroken and they cost 100 more than a 3.13 on eBay. I basically just sat on it and use it as nothing but an iPod touch for months until the 3.13 jailbreak came out.

If you are into homebrew scene you just have to go with your gut feeling as far as future jailbreak goes becuase nothing is predictable in this scene.

spons

Gold Member
InternHertz said:
2) PS3key.
Some stores are selling AVRKey, which is the PS3Key without their own firmware on it which means everything can be flashed to the device. It's also made by them but it doesn't really seem to be advertised anywhere except by the resellers themselves.

bathala said:
since I don't have any device from the compatibility list, I bought a PSBreak dongle

I was skeptic ordering from Chinese vendor specially with the Chinese Custom seizing PS3JB

it finally arrived in US and might get it on Monday :D

I heard these were useless since their not upgradable. Any truth behind this?

bathala

Banned
Tears For Fears said:
I heard these were useless since their not upgradable. Any truth behind this?
there r some that got amtel and some PIC (not upgradable) .

I think I might get the un-upgradable one :S I'm looking at avrkey already

Top Bottom