• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

ssowinski

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if you wouldn't in a heartbeat).

If you want to :unjailbreak: your PS3 could you not perform the following steps:

format hard drive using ps3 internal formatter
upgrade said system firmware to 3.50+

How would Sony know that you were perviously using? You think that there is some flash resident file somewhere that could tell them? - or would the new firmware and fresh HD files do the trick?

RobertM

bathala said:
there r some that got amtel and some PIC (not upgradable) .

I think I might get the un-upgradable one :S I'm looking at avrkey already
Sure it's upgradable, it has flash memory. As long as you can establish communication with PB6 or RB7 depending on what PIC you're using, and debug using MPLAB. Presto, you reflashed PIC with a new program.

Ok after the past few hours I took my old iPhone 3g on 3.2.1, put iDroPhone w/ PSFreedom on it. After some hiccups, I finally got my PS3 to boot up with the 2 magic folders.

My questions, and forgive me if these are redundant, I've been searching but the amount of forums and threads about this is mindnumbing.

1) What is the opportune time to unplug the iPhone after the Jailbreak? I got the two folders but the /app/Game (sp?) folder said something about an error and I think its because I unplugged my iPhone.

2) How do I now get/install homebrew? I know there is a buggy ftp and a Backup Manager which I've tracked down but again there are about 1000 different ways to do this and I don't want to mess anything up, and a Backup Manager would be great so I could leave my games at home when I go up to college.

These questions have probably been answered a ton of times and I apologize, I scoured this thread but recently it has turn to topics waaay above my knowledge.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Saren is Bad said:
Ok after the past few hours I took my old iPhone 3g on 3.2.1, put iDroPhone w/ PSFreedom on it. After some hiccups, I finally got my PS3 to boot up with the 2 magic folders.

My questions, and forgive me if these are redundant, I've been searching but the amount of forums and threads about this is mindnumbing.

1) What is the opportune time to unplug the iPhone after the Jailbreak? I got the two folders but the /app/Game (sp?) folder said something about an error and I think its because I unplugged my iPhone.

2) How do I now get/install homebrew? I know there is a buggy ftp and a Backup Manager which I've tracked down but again there are about 1000 different ways to do this and I don't want to mess anything up, and a Backup Manager would be great so I could leave my games at home when I go up to college.

These questions have probably been answered a ton of times and I apologize, I scoured this thread but recently it has turn to topics waaay above my knowledge.
1) After the XMB loads up. PSFreedom uses the PSGroove payload, that payload allows you to remove the dongle after the system has started up. I don't believe Groove's payload has the /app/game option, so you're probably using AerialX's modified payload. AFAIK, you need to place a modified EBOOT.BIN under /app_home/PS3_GAME on a USB drive for that option to work.

2) Download the pkg file and use the install pkg option. Dump the buggy ftp server and use blackb0x instead. If you need links, try PSGroove, PS3Hax, PSX-Scene, PS3-hacks, and that other PS3***** banned site.

^ I just saw that on psgroove.com. did that really work?
Saren is Bad said:

1.) as Killthee said, as soon as you see the XMB you can unplug.

1a.) use this version of iPhoneDroid http://psfreedom.com/wiki/IOSLinux . It comes with the appropriate verision built-in. just connect your phone, run the app and it'll do the rest. it's beautiful. and that folder giving you an error will work fine.

2.) PSGroove.com is your friend. You'll want: FTP manager of some kind, Backup Manager, SNES9x, and whatever else you find on the blog sites. Installing the apps (pkg files) is as simple as putting the files on the root of an Fat32 flash drive or external HDD, then clicking on the special installer folder that is added to the Games column of the XMB. click on the .pkg and it will install. you'll see the application on the Game XMB column.

So I just jailbroke my PS3 with my old iPhone 3G. Very excited to play SNES games on it (as I do with every device I have that gets hacked).

I'm testing out the Backup Manager though, and my LBP dump is taking ages. It's been almost 45 minutes and its only at 32%. From what I've read, this doesn't seem to be normal. I hope my BD drive or HD isn't about to crap out.

N.A said:
I'm happy with the minimus but the 16kb of flash memory is already limiting as the Linux bootloader marcan is working on needs at least 64kb (though apparenly there will be a workaround). If you are interested in Linux marcan seems to recommend the ATMega64 or ATMega128.

I saw the AT90USB1287 with OTG Host : http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3875

But how can I be sure to have a dev board and not just the chip ?
I saw AT90USBKEY ( http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3879 ) were sold as test boards for it, will it be good enough? I mean will it really have 128k flash memory, 4k eeprom and 8k sram...are those 3 memories in the chip itself or are they separated on the dev board?

And another question, all this talk about a .bin payload you can load, on which memory is it staying ? How many is recommended for flexibility in payload choices?

I'm a newb with development boards...I'm more software-oriented than hardware-oriented...so thanks if anyone can answer them

greatestjediever said:
So I just jailbroke my PS3 with my old iPhone 3G. Very excited to play SNES games on it (as I do with every device I have that gets hacked).

I played SNES games in 2007 on my PS3. 1080p, wireless controller and all that.
Sucks that
geohot
removed that feature.

btw. is there are list of "flags" of PS3 games? I wonder if you can activate them all with no real consequences for the game like with Remote Play (I expect custom music and screenshots to be a flag). I also saw in that one screen that the supported resolutions are also flagged, did someone try yet if you can force any game to run in 1080p?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Killthee said:
So he basically soldered a PIC18f2550 to a sixaxis and he triggers it by holding the reset button on the back of the controller. You're right, completely pointless.

Pointless and disappointing. I was hoping for something more...unique I guess. The concept is neat though.

I am a bit torn. I have been thinking about upgrading my fattie 60g to a slim for a while, but I wasn't planning to do so right now. Now I am not interested in all the backup tech (I don't mind changing discs all that much and I am careful with my discs anyway) that jailbreaking my ps3 would allow, but I am interested in the other stuff - and potentially in ps3 linux (which i was using a bit before sony turned it off).
The problem is... if it's just for ps3 linux, it's not worth it. I am not entirely sure I want to use emulators on the ps3 anyway. What i would be very interested in of course is stuff you absolutely couldn not find outside of a jailbroken ps3 - just to give a silly example that will never happen - a fan translated Yakuza Kenzan :p (but simpler stuff like a SO4 redub could be cool too).

So anyway, I am thinking it could be a good idea to get a new ps3 now - since older firmware will eventually not be found in retail ps3. So I am not sure why I am ranting and all, but i was wondering at least if any retail ps3 on amazon comes with <=3.41 for now?

expy

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Hmm, it seems that GeoHot may still be involved in the PS3 homebrew development. In a channel on Efnet for devs, GeoHot, Bushing, Mathieuhl are all there.
If he is, it's just recent. he hasn't been in there for a loooooooong time.

Thanks for the help guys!

Just a small question left: I installed the blackra1n FTP and Backup Manager. The Backup Manager is v2 so supposedly it works without the disc in the drive, not sure how that works. I was in the middle of dumping my DA:O and I turned away from the PS3 for 10 or so minutes and when I came back it was off with the red power light on like someone had turned it off...but no one did. Anyone else have this issue know the answer?

Also, I'm super confused about all the hex, payload, etc. talk. I jailbroke via iPhoneLinux (that I found on PSFreedom wiki). I downloaded this new Backup Manager that PSX Scene seems to say its really buggy unless you download the new hex that some guy has provided for "teensy" and other boards. Now, is this a new package to download? Or something to do with my iPhoneLinux method? Or both? Does this even have to do with or work with my iPhone method? I'm used to simple jailbreaking of the iPhone not this fancy stuff for PS3, haha, its super confusing.

Anyways, y'all are helping out alot, the quick responses are incredibly kind, thanks all.

Killthee

Saren is Bad said:
Thanks for the help guys!

Just a small question left: I installed the blackra1n FTP and Backup Manager. The Backup Manager is v2 so supposedly it works without the disc in the drive, not sure how that works. I was in the middle of dumping my DA:O and I turned away from the PS3 for 10 or so minutes and when I came back it was off with the red power light on like someone had turned it off...but no one did. Anyone else have this issue know the answer?

Also, I'm super confused about all the hex, payload, etc. talk. I jailbroke via iPhoneLinux (that I found on PSFreedom wiki). I downloaded this new Backup Manager that PSX Scene seems to say its really buggy unless you download the new hex that some guy has provided for "teensy" and other boards. Now, is this a new package to download? Or something to do with my iPhoneLinux method? Or both? Does this even have to do with or work with my iPhone method? I'm used to simple jailbreaking of the iPhone not this fancy stuff for PS3, haha, its super confusing.

Anyways, y'all are helping out alot, the quick responses are incredibly kind, thanks all.
The hex is the payload. Basically the hex/payload is the instruction set for the USB chip on your dongle/device. Its what runs the exploit on the chip and it tells the PS3 what to enable when you boot into debug mode.

The original PSGroove payload only allows you to install packages; it was later updated with the ability to dump and patch lv2/GameOS. Then, iirc, AerialX added the ability to run an executable off a USB drive without installing it. Then Heremes added the ability to run the Backup Manager without having a disc in the drive, this is the payload you need to work with the disc free BM. There's a link to an iPhone version that uses Hermes payload over at the PSFreedom Wiki.

As for your system shutting off randomly, that usually happens whens it's overheating/right before the system dies from YLOD. On my second YLOD system I got almost a week of random shutoff's before the yellow light started blinking and the system died.

Killthee said:
The hex is the payload.

And what about .bin payloads ? I sw PS3key claim you can also change that, how is it diffeent from the .hex containing the psgroove code?

Do you know if EEPROM and SRAM sizes are as important as the Flash memory?

Shoud you flash your chip with a psgroove hex file and maybe .bin payloads too, they'll reside on the flash memory only am I right? the other two memories are only there to have the board compute code faster ?

itxaka

Defeatist
InternHertz said:
And what about .bin payloads ? I sw PS3key claim you can also change that, how is it diffeent from the .hex containing the psgroove code?

Shoud you flash your chip with a psgroove hex file and maybe .bin payloads too, they'll reside on the flash memory only am I right? the other two memories are only there to have the board compute code faster ?

you only have to flash it with the hex. The *.bin files are the decrypted executables that you can launch thanks to AerialX modification of the psgroove (I don't think there is any bin files out there to test it)

Spruchy

So using my iphone 3g I jailbroke my ps3 today and installed some apps, is it true that I need to redo the entire process of booting into android and hitting the eject button at the right time after every instance of shutting off the system? If I leave the phone plugged in can it be avoided?

Treo360

Spruchy said:
So using my iphone 3g I jailbroke my ps3 today and installed some apps, is it true that I need to redo the entire process of booting into android and hitting the eject button at the right time after every instance of shutting off the system? If I leave the phone plugged in can it be avoided?
for now this is the only way.

ladies and gentlemen who own a PS3 slim...

for the low low low price of $20

you can now restore what SONY removed from the slim!!!

the power on/off switch!!!

:lol :lol :lol

ttkZHl.jpg

MNC

The Faceless Master said:
ladies and gentlemen who own a PS3 slim...

for the low low low price of $20

you can now restore what SONY removed from the slim!!!

the power on/off switch!!!

:lol :lol :lol

ttkZHl.jpg
I knew it wasn't going to be BC... And yet, I fell for it :(

jediyoshi

Oh dear.

In these boring legal filings by Sony, it now covers not just PSJailbreak, but also names PSGroove, PSFreedom, OpenPSJailbreak, and they have filed printouts from various blogs, forums, and sites like PS3NEWS with comments and tutorials people have been writing up on how to use these various programs. They even mention of course the phone ports & TI84 calc.

Zoe

LovingSteam said:
LOL. Does Sony ACTUALLY believe they can stop this through court filings? HAHAH. They must not understand the internet that well.

They can't stop the progress, but they can stop the sales.

Zoe

brotkasten said:
They can't stop the sales of usb development boards like the Teensy.

They're not trying to. They're stopping any products that have PS in the name--which is what most clueless people would go for.

spons said:
If anything this will just draw more attention to the entire thing.
I doubt it. Nothing really more than just the gaming sites it has been at, and most likely if you go to gaming sites, you already know about these lawsuits and issues.

LegoDad

Zoe said:
They're not trying to. They're stopping any products that have PS in the name--which is what most clueless people would go for.

Don't know how they can do that, PS maybe registered to them but PSGroove and other things aren't and won't be given to them by the courts.

linkboy

Has the PSFreedom Droid port been updated to use the new Backup Manager that doesn't need a disc in the drive.

Also, does the iPod Rockbox port support the 160GB iPod Video?

Killthee

InternHertz said:

AFAIK, and I may be completely wrong on this, the PS3Key is the only board/dongle/device that uses .bin's for the payload. It has something to do with their shitty update process I believe. It's different from a hex file because it requires you to send your PS3Key serial number to them to get a flashable bin file. With any other board/dongle/device, you don't need to do that, you can just flash the file.

Not as important at the moment.

No; hex for dongles/boards, bin for PS3Key. They'll only reside on the flash, everything else is reserved for the board.

robertsan21 said:
Is there a way to downgrade to a older firmware?
No, not at the moment.

linkboy said:
Has the PSFreedom Droid port been updated to use the new Backup Manager that doesn't need a disc in the drive.

Also, does the iPod Rockbox port support the 160GB iPod Video?
It probably has. Your best bet is to look for it over at XDA.

AFAIK, no. 160GB iPod's fall under the Classic line/6th Gen, they're not part of the 5th Gen/iPod Video line. Rockbox hasn't been ported to the 6th Gen yet.

3rdman

I've got a question...I've got the PS3Phat 60 gig system and I don't have the funds to splurge on a new hard drive so I'd like to backup my games to my media server.

I know that (for now) I can't play games from the network, but I'd like to copy them to there for storage and simply load them to my internal drive when I wish to play something...Is this possible?

Killthee

3rdman said:
I've got a question...I've got the PS3Phat 60 gig system and I don't have the funds to splurge on a new hard drive so I'd like to backup my games to my media server.

I know that (for now) I can't play games from the network, but I'd like to copy them to there for storage and simply load them to my internal drive when I wish to play something...Is this possible?
Yes. You can copy them to the internal drive using the Backup Manager and then use blackb0x to transfer them back and forth to the media server. You won't be able to backup something like GOW3 or FFXIII if you don't have enough space on the internal, but most games aren't as big as those 2.

Vorador

Banned
French site PS3GEN has reported that PS3 Developer RichDevX, is working on a payload, to get the PS3 into Service Mode,here is a translated quote from the source:

As shown in this first image, we can see the red box on the XMB showing that the console actually went into service mode. In this mode, it is possible to run specific software, including one allowing the domwgrade (the opposite of update, ie back to a previous firmware). Who says so says downgrade opportunity to go 3.15 for the benefit of new and more otheros hack with PSGroove.

Payload through this, it is also possible to run each time you start the console, loading a file. Self from a USB key as explained above. This could allow the hack using only one time a dongle or other, then your USB stick could complete the task alone. Advances in the underground world push the limits even further.

Is this real?

Top Bottom