• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM3 Rumor: Spark Unlimited could be working on Next Onimusha game

The developers of DMC / DR / Onimusha, what are they doing now? I know the DMC4 team made Dragon's Dogma but what about the others?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
New Onimusha...

...by Spark Unlimited

igvtkoxj9fncd3kkq0.gif

Korigama

I know i'm in the minority but i LOVED Dawn of Dreams too.
Same with me as well (I wound up enjoying all four main games, though I do admit that I would have preferred if the weapons acquired in DoD were more limited in number yet unique as they were in previous games, instead of working like loot complete with RPG stats).
3 was fucking awesome, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
This right here.

rvy

Banned
Can't be worse than 3 I guess.

First of all, 3 is amazing.
Second of all, if it were terrible, I'm sure this could be much worse.

The developers of DMC / DR / Onimusha, what are they doing now? I know the DMC4 team made Dragon's Dogma but what about the others?

Chillin'.

Mikami and Kamiya left. I have no idea where Kawano and Nakai are. Eshiro is crazy. Kobayashi and Itsuno are locked away in some attic, after the financial disaster of Dragon's Dogma. Takeuchi must be selling hot dogs in some trailer.

Kyoufu

"the French dude"

You have never seen Léon, known as The Professional here in the States? :(

Or French Kiss, or Mission Impossible?

Yes I have but what the fuck is he doing in an Onimusha game? Like I said. Hilariously bad.

They dropped the ball with the franchise.

antitrop

Yes I have but what the fuck is he doing in an Onimusha game? Like I said. Hilariously bad.
Yes, but in a so bad it's good way.

If you're trying to take Onimusha 3 seriously, you're waaaaaaayyyyy doing it wrong.

The gameplay was rock solid, as well. Story meanderings aside.

rvy

Banned
I played some of it and laughed at how bad it was and I usually don't do that ever. Not sure what they tried to do with the French dude but it was hilarious.

Laughed at what? The storyline? OK, I'm cool with that. The game itself is boss though.

Kyoufu

Yes, but in a so bad it's good way.

If you're trying to take Onimusha 3 seriously, you're waaaaaaayyyyy doing it wrong.

Yeah I did try to take it seriously. You don't make Paranormal Activity 3 a comedy movie and expect people to like it. :p

I bought it for 10 euros and honestly felt robbed. :/

edit: I should add that the other game, Dawn of whatever is supposed to be better than 3 at least. I haven't played that one yet.

antitrop

Yeah I did try to take it seriously. You don't make Paranormal Activity 3 a comedy movie and expect people to like it. :p

I bought it for 10 euros and honestly felt robbed. :/

edit: I should add that the other game, Dawn of whatever is supposed to be better than 3 at least. I haven't played that one yet.
Ok, I'll give you that it jumped the shark a bit.

But I didn't even really like Onimusha 1 and 2, but 3 had the gameplay in spades for me.

I remember hearing buzz about it being WORSE than 3 when it came out.

Korigama

As much as I've enjoyed the series, the level of tech on display within the story starting in Onimusha 2, as well as the final boss of that game actually being named the
Golden Evil Statue
should have been indication enough as to how seriously the franchise was to be taken. By that point, additions like time travel (which would at least explain the out of place technology) and Jean Reno didn't seem particularly outlandish.

sublimit

Banned
Ok, I'll give you that it jumped the shark a bit.

But I didn't even really like Onimusha 1 and 2, but 3 had the gameplay in spades for me.

:eek:
Onimusha 3 was great thanks to its solid gameplay ( i also hated Jean Reno's appearance) but man the first two games were incredible!!!

antitrop

:eek:
Onimusha 3 was great thanks to its solid gameplay ( i also hated Jean Reno's appearance) but man the first two games were incredible!!!
Tank controls in an "action" "horror" game didn't really do it for me.

I don't think they're bad, I just didn't like them.

sublimit

Banned
Tank controls in an "action" "horror" game didn't really do it for me.

I don't think they're bad, I just didn't like them.

Um i wouldn't call Onimusha's 1-2 controls as "tank"...It wasn't DMC but they did their job for a hack n slash game perfectly.

antitrop

Um i wouldn't call Onimusha's 1-2 controls as "tank"...It wasn't DMC but they did their job for a hack n slash game perfectly.
How were they not tank? It was the same as Resident Evil 1, 2, 3. Turn the analog stick left or right to rotate the character model, then up to move him forwards in the direction he is facing or down for backstepping.

Am I remembering the control scheme of Onimusha 1 and 2 improperly?

Riposte

How big is Spark Unlimited? Three games roughly at the same time does seem pretty big to me.

Pfft, how could people possibly be worried about the quality of Spark Unlimited's output given the previews Lost Planet 3 is getting.

By linking that you are actually convincing me to give it another look. A Destructoid writer failing to comprehend a game only puts it in good company. From the podcasts I've been listening to I haven't heard difficulty complaints (more along the lines of repetition).

rvy

Banned
you do know street fighter IV was outsourced right

That's not entirely true. And Dimps has a track record of quality. They have some ex-Capcom employees working there. And the development was split between both companies.

Korigama

Just remembered E.X. Troopers as the one other thing Capcom seem to be making themselves (which we currently aren't scheduled to get in the West, apparently because they seem to think Spark's Lost Planet 3 is what people actually want instead).
That's the one with Professor Layton, ya?
No, AA5 is the next in the mainline Ace Attorney series, set after Apollo Justice. Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is a completely different game, which Level-5 is developing.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is Spark the new GRIN? Lost Planet 3, Yaiba and now Onimusha all at once all of a sudden?

Aeana

They dropped the ball with the franchise.

I don't know why they suddenly dropped the ball with 3 by including a screen actor when they did that with 1 and 2 as well.

Ok i must have missed something but what has Capcom to do with NG?

"They" is Spark, not Capcom. Many here already guessed that they were doing Onimusha because (a) they have a relationship with Capcom from LP3, and (b) the Spark job postings seemed to fit Onimusha, but it's pretty clear that the "action-slasher" is Yaiba using basic logic.

Takao

Banned
Square Enix should've outsourced Lightning Returns to these guys so that staff could help out on Versus so it could be released within our life times.

Top Bottom