• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Account bug that prevents License Restore on PS4 (Cannot play any games)

This sucks for everyone affected. I really hope it gets to IGN, Gamespot etc - sites that will hopefully make enough of an impact to get Sony to do something.

More refunds denied because " we have trophies" and product is "used". Some people have $300+ dollars of digital DLC and games that are not usable anymore.

http://community.us.playstation.com...-CAN-T-RESTORE-LICENSES/td-p/44060652/page/16
At this point, you may want to start filing complaints with the BBB, emailing Kotaku, and talking to your credit card company about getting your money back forcefully as a last resort. Sony bans for charge backs, but I'd rather have a banned account and my money back than a non-banned account that can't access purchases. Post your complaints on their social media pages and make a stink. Email them so you have proof of your attempts to resolve the issue.

Why did they hang up?

Did you get his/her name?

I wasn't satisfied with the "we're working on it" response and wanted some more answers. The entire time I talked him he made it pretty much known that he was trying to blow me off. I didn't catch his name but I wish I had now.

I had just made the decision this week to go completely digital. You just changed my mind. This is like the damn MS check in. you can't play any of your games because of the network. What kinda bullshit is that...

Liberty4all

Banned
I wasn't satisfied with the "we're working on it" response and wanted some more answers. The entire time I talked him he made it pretty much known that he was trying to blow me off. I didn't catch his name but I wish I had now.

I know this advice is too late but always get a name and/or employee number at the start of the call when calling into any call center.

I haven't heard anything back about the issue you are having yet either but ill check in.

Maloney

This may be totally unrelated but a there was a thread on here a few weeks back where a guy lost all of his content (cos his psn membership lapsed I believe) and it was resolved by extending his psn membership.

I know it's not the same problem as your, but hey, it might be worth trying to extend your membership to see what happens.

I'm sorry, I can't find the thread I'm talking about at the moment as I've just woke up and I'm on my phone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had just made the decision this week to go completely digital. You just changed my mind. This is like the damn MS check in. you can't play any of your games because of the network. What kinda bullshit is that...

I wouldn't conflate an egregious oversight in software design with actual corporate policy.

This may be totally unrelated but a there was a thread on here a few weeks back where a guy lost all of his content (cos his psn membership lapsed I believe) and it was resolved by extending his psn membership.

I know it's not the same problem as your, but hey, it might be worth trying to extend your membership to see what happens.

I'm sorry, I can't find the thread I'm talking about at the moment as I've just woke up and I'm on my phone.

He tried that already.

Edit: Actually, seems I misread the post I was thinking of.

I know this advice is too late but always get a name and/or employee number at the start of the call when calling into any call center.

I haven't heard anything back about the issue you are having yet either but ill check in.

I usually do, I have the other two reps that I talked to that day. Not sure why I didn't write it down.

He tried that already.

Edit: Actually, seems I misread the post I was thinking of.

Yeah, I didn't try that. But I am also kinda unwilling to do so. I still have almost two months left on my sub, and I had 3 before this started. I don't think it has anything to do with Plus and I am certainly not spending any more money to make sure.

It seems like many got this error from COD:G DLC. Is this the culprit?

Not in my case, I've never even played Ghosts.

Reule

I hope you get your issue worked out. The PS4 itself has some issues with how it operates with PSN from what I've experienced. Hopefully this supposed firmware update will come soon to nip this all in the bud.

So, just checking in to give an update on the status of my issue, and potentially get new eyes on it.

Update: Still can't Restore Licences. However I tried to start "Road not taken" on my account and it ran, but then when i tried again it gave me the licences error. Too weird.

I tweeted yosp, boyes, and a few Playstation accounts asking why this hasn't been dealt with, feel free to retweet, seems like something that a lot of media coverage would get them in gear on. Pretty disgusting.

https://twitter.com/Krakn3dfx/status/497981486532800512
]

I also wanted to thank you for your tweet, it got a lot of traffic views wise.

The "lock-out" bug happened to me two weeks ago after swapping in my new HDD and reinstalling everything. The solution for me was to sign out of PSN, turn off the PS4, turn it back on, then re-sign into PSN. Got the "Restoring Licenses" bar and then everything was back to normal.

Just an addendum to this issue for any GAFers that get hit with this particularly annoying bug.

SSPssp

This is ridiculous that its almost a month and nothing has been fixed yet for anyone. I've bought a few PS3/Vita games in the recent sales, but I'm going to avoid buying any more games on PS4 until this is sorted out.

theDeeDubs

Ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed. Ended up buying TLoU on disc because of this thread. Really wanted it digital but I'm refusing to buy any digital games with them again until this gets fixed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not sure if related, but the last few days I have turned on my ps4, all of my games have had the lock icon next to them for a few seconds essentially stating I can't play them until I have a license. Usually a few seconds later some server handshake occurs I suppose and the locks remove allowing play. Still, as an owner since launch day going digital only, this has been a frightful occurrence and timely with this thread.

No problems have stemmed on my end beyond a bit of delay from boot to play, but it never happened previously and I fear it may turn into something worse soon.

Hope things work out for the OP. I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with this stuff. When PSN was hacked years ago and no one lost much out of that ordeal despite the world putting all eyes on sony, I had my xbox account hacked at the same time with multiple charges out of Europe occurring for digital games. Had to deal with incompetent xbox support and credit card fraud departments for weeks, including a complete gamer tag transfer that did not go smoothly. Just a horrible experience to secure my purchases and digital identity. A LOT of us were hit with this problem and neogaf was screaming for outlets to shift attention from sony to ms for a few seconds for better assistance for us affected. Didn't really happen, but regardless I do really hope things work out here!

I actually had this happen to me last week when we got the new PS+ games on PS4. I was trying to play Road not Taken and my digital games were all locked out. I got scared, I got them to work though I logged into my JP PSN account and then logged off and logged back into my NA PSN and all the games started to work again. Weird.

I actually had this happen to me last week when we got the new PS+ games on PS4. I was trying to play Road not Taken and my digital games were all locked out. I got scared, I got them to work though I logged into my JP PSN account and then logged off and logged back into my NA PSN and all the games started to work again. Weird.

Going to "Restore Licenses" under the PSN option in Settings will fix that. The problem I and others are having is that "Restore Licenses" throws an error code every time we try it.

Yagharek

But this is CambriaRising! From Neogaf! And Bamelin and Neuromancer are on the case!

...right?

Come oooon. This is really shitty.

Compare how quickly it would be resolved if, say, Keighley or Kuchera or someone for IGN had it happen to them. No offense to CambriaRising but they're too small a fish to get treated properly.

Unless there is heat applied, Sony CS will just go through this like they were developing TLG.

Chopper

Compare how quickly it would be resolved if, say, Keighley or Kuchera or someone for IGN had it happen to them. No offense to CambriaRising but they're too small a fish to get treated properly.

Unless there is heat applied, Sony CS will just go through this like they were developing TLG.
Yeah, I know. I was being optimistic. Sadly, I know the feeling when dealing with unbelievably shitty customer services. I emailed a boatload of websites and people I thought might be able to help though. This is a far bigger issue than mine, and this dude needs some fucking attention!

No offense taken. I'll try calling them again soon to see if I can mine some more info out, but thus far I've done about all I can do.

Yagharek

Yeah, I know. I was being optimistic. Sadly, I know the feeling when dealing with unbelieveably shitty customer services. I emailed a boatload of websites and people I thought might be able to help though. This is a far bigger issue than mine, and this dude needs some fucking attention!

Ahh I remember that thread. Did it ever get resolved?

Really though, the customer service from pretty much all these companies sucks, and things only ever get fixed promptly when it happens to someone with a large audience. For Joe Average, you're shit out of luck no matter how many people tell you to tweet yosp or major nelson etc.

Chopper

Ahh I remember that thread. Did it ever get resolved?

Really though, the customer service from pretty much all these companies sucks, and things only ever get fixed promptly when it happens to someone with a large audience. For Joe Average, you're shit out of luck no matter how many people tell you to tweet yosp or major nelson etc.

Actually, no. After refusing their offer of a "deluxe Nintendo goody bag", I tried to phone Shelly Pearce directly a few times. I called four times. Every time, after being put on hold for a few minutes every time, she was either in a meeting, or out of the office. I left my details every time. Basically, she fucked me off and I established that Nintendo UK are an embarrassing waste of office space, wages and Twitter accounts. They literally do nothing useful to anyone. I would have bumped the thread, but the tragic conclusion was too disappointing to bother inflicting upon the 30-odd thousand people who viewed my thread. They just don't give a shit. Fuck 'em.

No offense taken. I'll try calling them again soon to see if I can mine some more info out, but thus far I've done about all I can do.
Write letters and emails to everyone you can find employed by Sony, who might be able to help. Seriously, plough them. If you can't find specific email addresses, just try them out. I found Shelly Pearce and Nintendo UK's general manager's email addresses using common sense. My emails were rudely ignored, but it's still worth trying.

This happens to me whenever I buy games of the Sony Entertainment Network and download them on PS4. I think I fix it by signing out of PSN, then shutting off the console. Then when I turned it back on it unlocked.

I have no idea if it'll work in this situation though, this seems like a much bigger problem.

Yagharek

Actually, no. After refusing their offer of a "deluxe Nintendo goody bag", I tried to phone Shelly Pearce directly a few times. I called four times. Every time, after being put on hold for a few minutes every time, she was either in a meeting, or out of the office. I left my details every time. Basically, she fucked me off and I established that Nintendo UK are an embarrassing waste of office space, wages and Twitter accounts. They literally do nothing useful to anyone. I would have bumped the thread, but the tragic conclusion was too disappointing to bother inflicting upon the 30-odd thousand people who viewed my thread. They just don't give a shit. Fuck 'em.

Damn. I would have gone and taken it to whatever consumer affairs group I could (perhaps you did) but beyond that I don't know what more can be done except for name-and-shame by telling the story to what media you can.

Chopper

Damn. I would have gone and taken it to whatever consumer affairs group I could (perhaps you did) but beyond that I don't know what more can be done except for name-and-shame by telling the story to what media you can.
I didn't bother. Honestly, I am a busy man, and persuing the issue would only add further stress to my every day life. I did everything I could. Honestly, I believe that alot of companies rely on exactly this to let them blag blatantly sloppy customer service. I'm part of the problem.

I think it's probably too late to reignite those flames, but I would happily make a thread here calling out Nintendo UK and their blatantly negligent attitude towards customer service and inability to do anything that might benefit the average Nintendo consumer in the UK. I am pleased that a UK wing exists. I just want to know what these guys do.

I'm well off-topic, and beginning to rant...

In the meantime I am fully behind CambriaRising.

vypek

I found a fix!

Did you cancel a pre order by any chance? If you did, rebuying that pre order will fix it!

Check out: http://community.us.playstation.com...ICENSES/td-p/44060652/highlight/false/page/22

lostprophet23x's post.

What a crazy glitch on Sony's end.

Great find. I don't have the problem myself but its good to see a fix anyways. Its all caused by cancelling a pre-order? I see that buying the pre-order again fixes it but if the game releases, can the fix work?

Example: Someone cancels Destiny pre-order and gets problem. On September 10, Destiny cannot be pre-ordered. So does buying Destiny now work to fix the problem?

I found a fix!

Did you cancel a pre order by any chance? If you did, rebuying that pre order will fix it!

Check out: http://community.us.playstation.com...ICENSES/td-p/44060652/highlight/false/page/22

lostprophet23x's post.

6t8nAy8.gif

Why...yes actually I did, in June. My daughter got a hold of my controller and bought PvZ: Garden Warfare on accident and so I called and got a refund.

Heres the thing though, I AM NOT rebuying that game. At all. I will not give them more money to fix this fuck up, that game is $40.

WTF

Good find

(How do you cancel a preorder anyway?)

If you call, you can get it refunded rather painlessly.

Well, if this turns out to be the cause of the issue, surely they can come up with a better solution than forcing you to buy the game. :p

Edit: In the mean time, they should give courtesy credits for the game(s) in question on your account.

Well, if this turns out to be the cause of the issue, surely they can come up with a better solution than forcing you to buy the game. :p

Edit: In the mean time, they should give courtesy credits for the game(s) in question on your account.

Not only that, I wan't to be compensated for the 2 months of PS+ I lost access to during this period. I guess I could try to call them and see if they will credit me $40 to buy the game, but it figures it would be found out on a Friday night, lol.

I found a fix!

lostprophet23x's post.

That's crazy. I hope they can get this fixed soon.
6t8nAy8.gif

Why...yes actually I did, in June. My daughter got a hold of my controller and bought PvZ: Garden Warfare on accident and so I called and got a refund.

Heres the thing though, I AM NOT rebuying that game. At all. I will not give them more money to fix this fuck up, that game is $40.

If you call, you can get it refunded rather painlessly.
Would it not be worth forking over the $40 then asking for a refund? Just so you could get access to your games again. Maybe if you clear it with a Sony rep first?

NeoRausch

What a crazy turn of events!
And Sony didn't figure this out?

They need to at least give you the time of PS+ back that you've lost trough this.

Would it not be worth forking over the $40 then asking for a refund? Just so you could get access to your games again. Maybe if you clear it with a Sony rep first?

The only way I would feel comfortable doing that would be if I was on the phone with them and had it recorded that they would reimburse me. There is always a chance that it won't work for me and I don't want to be out more money trying to fix their mistake.

No, that's a bad idea. Sony need to fix it from their end.

They owe him two months of Plus, and as a courtesy they should gift him PvZ.

Were you able to claim games during those two months? They sorta owe you those too, really.

Were you able to claim games during those two months? They sorta owe you those too, really.

I was able to "purchase" them but not play them. The first game I noticed this on was Strider, actually. It kept saying I had the demo version. Thats what kicked off this whole thing.

The only way I would feel comfortable doing that would be if I was on the phone with them and had it recorded that they would reimburse me. There is always a chance that it won't work for me and I don't want to be out more money trying to fix their mistake.
Yeah, that's what I was meaning. You would either need to be on the call with them or have it in writing that they would reimburse you for the $40.

It would be great if they would do that, but I doubt they will. I really hope everyone affected can get it sorted though.

Mononoke

Banned
So OP, what will you do if Sony refuses to fix it? Would you just stop using PSN? Sounds insane. But you are 100% right here. Lame that the fix requires you to buy something you don't want to buy. Hopefully they fix it, but you still got screwed for all the time your PS + wouldn't work. =/

Any chance Sony CSR can cancel the pre order for you over the phone? Maybe it's just our end of the PS Store that is the cause.

So pre order PvZ again then cancel it through CSR.

So to see what would happen, I just had a chat with the online support, went well. Details below.

The jist of it is that they will be refunding me $39.99 to re-purchase Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare, but the refund will take a few days to go through. I have some cash in my PSN wallet I could use to buy it immediately, but I think its best to wait until the refunded amount appears.

Any chance Sony CSR can cancel the pre order for you over the phone? Maybe it's just our end of the PS Store that is the cause.

So pre order PvZ again then cancel it through CSR.

You can only cancel digital pre-orders over the phone anyway.

So to see what would happen, I just had a chat with the online support, went well. Details below.

The jist of it is that they will be refunding me $39.99 to re-purchase Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare, but the refund will take a few days to go through. I have some cash in my PSN wallet I could use to buy it immediately, but I think its best to wait until the refunded amount appears.

You can only cancel digital pre-orders over the phone anyway.

Glad to see the issue is on the way to being solved. Still a headache to go thru I'm sure

ekgrey

Jesus OP, this has been quite the harrowing tale. and good on the other GAFfer who spotted the fix! so weird...

Top Bottom