• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Accounts Are Getting Banned For Borrowing PS5 Access

sainraja

"Players are having their PSN accounts banned for borrowing PS5s to access the PS Plus Collection, according to several forum posts.

Due to a number of bizarre policies regarding the PS5, it stands to reason that people are capitalizing on ways to get around them.

Chief among this is the rules for the PS Plus Collection, a library of PS4 games made accessible to players for free if they have a subscription to PS Plus. Despite the fact that they’re all PS4 games, however, you can only claim the games on PS5, after which they will be playable even on your PS4.

As a result, people have been selling access to their PS5s online, wherein you pay to give sellers your account details who will then claim the collection for you, letting you play all the games on the PS4.

As the PS5 is sold out in most places and not even available in Malaysia yet, this has been pretty big with Malaysians who can’t wait to claim the free games.

However, giving money and account access to strangers on the internet is generally a security hazard, and Sony can’t in good faith tolerate this. As a result, people are reporting that their accounts are being banned.

In particular the accounts tied to the PS5 are reportedly getting permanent bans, while the PS4 accounts logging in are getting temporary bans of about 2 months.

At first I was like that's stupid and why would Sony do that but if people are selling access to a PS5 to redeem the collection I can definitely understand the concern and why they would take action to stop it.

petran79

Banned
If you want to sell your ps4 with all its digital games,thus giving Access to your PSN account,Sonys and Microsoft Tos forbid It but country laws allow It,right?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

It’s a a ridiculous response to a terrible anti consumer policy. These games should just have been rolled out over a few months as PS Plus games to ALL SUBSCRIBERS . It’s total bullshit on Sony’s part to not do this, why should I not get these games as a PSN subscriber for probably 10 years now but some person who just managed to get a PS5 gets all them.

I honestly don’t care about the games but anybody trying to justify Sony’s logic in this rollout of this is out of their mind. I am sure a lot of die hard Sony Fans feel pretty cheated by this.
Because they paid 500 dollars for a console and you did not

You aren't entitled to something you didn't pay for.

If you want to sell your ps4 with all its digital games,thus giving Access to your PSN account,Sonys and Microsoft Tos forbid It but country laws allow It,right?

Whether or not a country law allows it is irrelevant. You aren't being taken to court, your account is being banned

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

Whether or not a country law allows it is irrelevant. You aren't being taken to court, your account is being banned

If a consumer of a relevant country takes Sony to court for breaching of consumer rights, they can be unbanned and also paid compensation

DelireMan7

I am a bit confused.

If I log into my friend's PS5 with my account to get the PSplus collection (with my PSplus sub), I will get ban ? or he will get ban ? Both of us ? Sounds weird to me.
Of course some people try to make money out of it but... If it's a concern for Sony, don't make the PSplus collection playable on PS4.

EDIT: Also we bypassed the PSplus sub for my friend who got a PS5 and was on Xbox before. I lend him quite some games from my physical PS4 collection... Again, I am happy to have almost only physical for that (lend and borrow).

Last edited:

Shaukdotdj

It's really dumb imo. Like my house got sold out from under me while I was renting it in the middle of all this covid crap and housing/apartments are in high demand so I was on a 3month long waiting list. (which I've still got about 3 weeks to go on.)
My ps5 has earned opened some doors for me when it comes to compensating people for letting me crash on thier couch for a week or whatever.

I'm guessing it won't flag me if we're both on the same IP address when it happens but it's insane to think that they'd be that stingy over letting people play last gen games on their last gen device despite being ps+ members. Like get the hell over yourself Sony, just extend the collection to ps4 owners as well.

YoodlePro

I think this is pretty bullshit. I have a friend who pre-ordered his PS5 but got the short end of the stick and he isn't receiving it until next year.
Why should both of us be screwed if he comes over to play on my PS5 and he also redeems his collection. Who's to say he didn't already buy a PS5 game and can only play it on mine?

The Shepard

From what I gather from all this is people are getting banned for doing this on a large scale and earning money from it. Just don't take the piss and give all your friends the ps ps collection and everything will be OK. There not going to care about the one freind who's got it off your console.

I actually thought about offering this for free to anyone willing to trust me with their login info but then I figured it would be a violation of some sort and decided not to. It's still not clear if the TOS forbids someone from logging into someone else's PS5 just to add the PS+ collection to their library. Has Sony ever explicitly said you must be the owner of a PS5 to do this?

This is from the TOS:

5.10. Do not cheat, or use any bugs, glitches, vulnerabilities or unintentional mechanics in Content or the PSN to get an advantage or to gain unauthorized access to Content.

Non PS5 owners are clearly using an unintended mechanic to claim games that they are not entitled to. Consider the following:
  • there is zero indication that the Plus Collection is available to you when you are using a PS4.
  • The only way to claim these games is to go into the PS+ submenu on a PS5.
  • When you are in that submenu, the text right above the PS PLUS Collection subsection says "Exclusive to PS PLus on PS5."

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm going to allow one close family member to download them and get them to get a few ps5 trophies after the fact so it looks legit.

wipeout364

It’s mind blowing to me that people support this policy. Maybe Sony should think about the fact that most people are locked out of getting a PS5 for a year due supply and many people I suspect won’t have the money for it for a long time due to its cost and game prices. The games also require an active PSplus subscription to play so why not build up some goodwill ?

DonJimbo

Z2GKrOa.jpg

DonJimbo

It’s mind blowing to me that people support this policy. Maybe Sony should think about the fact that most people are locked out of getting a PS5 for a year due supply and many people I suspect won’t have the money for it for a long time due to its cost and game prices. The games also require an active PSplus subscription to play so why not build up some goodwill ?
Sony and Goodwill never words that are far away from each other that Sony mothafuckers

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I would be worried if they said it was for a short period, for example first 3 months of the lifecycle. PS3 had an instant games collection that lasted a year or 6 months before it was updated. If it is 12 months before its updated then I think that's fair. Certainty could relax some players

You're not going to get banned if you hook up couple of friends. They are just shutting down people who are actually selling access and doing ridiculous amounts of accounts off of the same PS5. You are allowed to go to a friend's house, sign into your account and play games. You are allowed to go to a friend's house and download games. There just needs to be a reasonable assumption that you physically did this yourself and signed into your own account personally. There is really no risk here for normal users and their friends and family.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You're not going to get banned if you hook up couple of friends. They are just shutting down people who are actually selling access and doing ridiculous amounts of accounts off of the same PS5. You are allowed to go to a friend's house, sign into your account and play games. You are allowed to go to a friend's house and download games. There just needs to be a reasonable assumption that you physically did this yourself and signed into your own account personally. There is really no risk here for normal users and their friends and family.

As they should because that’s against ToS.

Jacknapes

The PS+ collection is mostly aimed at PS5 owners who never owned a PS4. Gives them access to some great PS4 games, the collection can also be played on PS4 once redeemed. So, i get why it's locked on PS5 PS+ subs. However, at this moment in time the PS5 is sold out everywhere, so many will have to wait a long while before getting their hands on one. Maybe a rethink of this collection and making it available to PS4 owners (for a limited time) would possibly help soften things going into 2021.

Maybe Sony should do away with this PS+ Collection. Kill 2 birds with one stone. All these folk won't be able to sell access to it for profit and it'll also stop PS4 owners whining like spoilt brats because they don't have access to it.

MastaKiiLA

I thought game share was always limited to 5 different users at a time. I guess I was wrong, if 50 people can be shared on the same PS5. A ban makes sense. Buy the games. Game share was meant for legit sharing with friends, not out and out theft. I wouldn't want to see heavy restrictions being put on game share, just because some assholes tried to exploit it. Ban the few offenders, and allow normal gamers to enjoy the privilege.

MastaKiiLA

It’s a a ridiculous response to a terrible anti consumer policy. These games should just have been rolled out over a few months as PS Plus games to ALL SUBSCRIBERS . It’s total bullshit on Sony’s part to not do this, why should I not get these games as a PSN subscriber for probably 10 years now but some person who just managed to get a PS5 gets all them.

I honestly don’t care about the games but anybody trying to justify Sony’s logic in this rollout of this is out of their mind. I am sure a lot of die hard Sony Fans feel pretty cheated by this.
FOH. It's anti-consumer to not give away games to everyone? This is a promotion to entice users to buy a new system. You buy a new system and get PS+, and you get free games in exchange for the promise of buying future games. You own a PS4, and there's no promise of buying future games. Don't conflate your delusional expectations with anti-consumerism. By your logic, having to pay for anything is anti-consumer. Why don't they include haptics in PS4 games, and ship every PS4 owner a DS controller? Why don't they make all PS5 games available on the PS4? How far does your anti-consumer claim extend, before it becomes ridiculous? This is just crying about not getting what you want. That's all well and good, but it makes no business sense.

I don't have a PS5 yet, but fully understand that I won't get access to the collection until I buy one. Luckily, I do intend on purchasing one, and when I do, I can access the collection, which I will do only to add the games to my library, not to actually play them. It's a bonus for PS5 owners. That's how it works. If you can't get a PS5 now, tough nuts. It's not even available in my country yet. Just wait until you can get one. The collection will still be there. If you don't plan on buying a PS5, then too fucking bad for you. Pay the already low asking price for the games, and stop whining.

Would you complain about GP games only being restricted to GP subscribers, and not people who pay for Live? No. It's understood that that's a benefit for people who pay for GP. Likewise, the PS+ collection is a benefit for people who pay for a PS5. The ones performing mental gymnastics to defend their arguments are the ones complaining, because the deal was always known from the moment it was announced.

cormack12

Gold Member
I thought game share was always limited to 5 different users at a time. I guess I was wrong, if 50 people can be shared on the same PS5. A ban makes sense. Buy the games. Game share was meant for legit sharing with friends, not out and out theft. I wouldn't want to see heavy restrictions being put on game share, just because some assholes tried to exploit it. Ban the few offenders, and allow normal gamers to enjoy the privilege.

That's not what this is. You can only claim this promotion from a PS5 console. The assumption being if you log into a PS5 console then you own one. People are selling access to the PS+ collection for $50. Then getting another users credentials. They log onto their PS5 with the account and claim the PS+ collection. Then the account downloads and plays all games on their PS4 (because they don't have a PS5). Sony will have to pay a fee for each license redemption.

It's a grade 1 scam and the people most likely to do this are chavs and opportunist teens/early 20's (imo). Anyone with a brain can probably guess at what the consequences were going to be. They were probably a lot more severe than they anticipated - or they thought only the buyers would get their accounts banned. Gamble didn't pay off. This goes back to what I said though originally. This is an awful way to gatekeep a promotion and feels like a sticky plaster to a proper rights management system. Easy to implement but not easy to manage/administer. All those licenses will just get revoked and Sony won't get billed. You're effectively a reseller in a closed storefront.

Last edited:

Kdad

So if I buy a system that has some free game codes in the bundle, and I decide to sell the codes or give them away for free, why should any console maker care?

How is this game collection giveaway any different?

If Sony is that hard up on only allowing the PS5 gamer access it then make it so it can only be redeemed on a PS5.
The person wanting the codes is actively sharing their PSN log in credentials...that is against the TOS.

3.3. All users should safeguard their Account sign-in ID (“PSN ID”) password and take steps to prevent access to your Account by other persons on any shared devices. To help protect your Account from unauthorized transactions you can turn on “Require Password at Checkout” in your Account settings. We have no liability for any unauthorized usage of any Account.

3.4. If we believe your account has been compromised, we may take actions to protect you and SIE. Such actions may include resetting Account passwords; canceling subscriptions; suspending accounts or restricting Account activities or access. We may also upload updates to your PlayStation Devices to stop unauthorized use of your Account or prevent PlayStation Devices from connecting to PSN.

3.5. SIE has the right to deny the creation of any Account, for any reason, in its sole discretion.

\\\

So the PS5 owner is not selling or giving away codes as in your example ....

Kdad

I am a bit confused.

If I log into my friend's PS5 with my account to get the PSplus collection (with my PSplus sub), I will get ban ? or he will get ban ? Both of us ? Sounds weird to me.
Of course some people try to make money out of it but... If it's a concern for Sony, don't make the PSplus collection playable on PS4.

EDIT: Also we bypassed the PSplus sub for my friend who got a PS5 and was on Xbox before. I lend him quite some games from my physical PS4 collection... Again, I am happy to have almost only physical for that (lend and borrow).
Presumably there is some trigger point where it is happening on a single PS5 multiple times (because each Ps5 hardware is uniquely identified on PSN in the background, not tied to logon credentials) that is causing SONY to notice...If its a one off situation between friends I doubt you'd be on their radar.

chonga

Some sources claim that if the PS5 has logged more than 50 accounts and made huge number of transactions, both the console and accounts will be banned.

It stirred huge discussion in China gaming community as some people were doing this PS5 borrowing thing as a business and many players who exploited this are panicking .
Right and these are going to be the people who will be banned.

Someone going to their mates house and logging in are extremely unlikely to face the banhammer.

People trying to profit from it will.

oagboghi2

If a consumer of a relevant country takes Sony to court for breaching of consumer rights, they can be unbanned and also paid compensation
You can try it I guess, but you are assuming a lot of things. Mostly that these countries will support you stealing.

This is becoming laughable.

So what if PS5's are sold out? It was an incentive to introduce non PS owners to big, often exclusive playstation franchises, and have you start out with a healthy library of games. The goodwill was making the PS collection in the first place. The fact that people are purposely abusing that system, and many of them are doing it for profit, isn't a poor reflection on Sony.

They never lied about what they were giving away. You just assumed you were entitled to it because it uses the word "playstation"

Last edited:

Kdad

Sony has been pissing gamers off, so much as of late.
I own a PS4 and didn't get the free games that are being used to incentivise people to adopt the PS5 platform. So I'm going to blatantly break the TOS and skirt the rules and SONY is taking action against me...i'm enraged.

That is the argument here?

So if I buy a system that has some free game codes in the bundle, and I decide to sell the codes or give them away for free, why should any console maker care?

How is this game collection giveaway any different?

If Sony is that hard up on only allowing the PS5 gamer access it then make it so it can only be redeemed on a PS5.
It can only be redeemed on a PS5. The problem is people are borrowing or selling access to their PS5s to PS4 owners to clam the games.

wipeout364

You can try it I guess, but you are assuming a lot of things. Mostly that these countries will support you stealing.

This is becoming laughable.

So what if PS5's are sold out? It was an incentive to introduce non PS owners to big, often exclusive playstation franchises, and have you start out with a healthy library of games. The goodwill was making the PS collection in the first place. The fact that people are purposely abusing that system, and many of them are doing it for profit, isn't a poor reflection on Sony.

They never lied about what they were giving away. You just assumed you were entitled to it because it uses the word "playstation"
No actually it uses the word PS Plus which I subscribe to. And for the record I already have all the games listed digitally and a PS Now subscription so don’t tell me I’m entitled I simply think it’s unfair to a lot of people out there who cannot access a PS5 or can’t afford one. And people wouldn’t have to do it if Sony treated them like customers not criminals. All these people are paying customers of Sony for PSplus and need to keep paying to play those games how are they deserving of bans.

ethomaz

Banned
I do believe it is fair.

If you don't have a PS5 you can't have these games free.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
All these people are paying customers of Sony for PSplus and need to keep paying to play those games how are they deserving of bans.

They only got two month temporary bans for trying to circumvent digital licensing. The sellers got perm bans as they were 'distributing'. They learn the lesson. Eight weeks is better than perm.

If you haven't got a PS5 then you aren't eligible for the offer. It's not like a dorito competition with no purchase necessary.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My son and his best friend have accounts on my ps4 and ps5, they both claimed the free games. I better not get banned.

bender

What time is it?
I own a PS4 and didn't get the free games that are being used to incentivise people to adopt the PS5 platform. So I'm going to blatantly break the TOS and skirt the rules and SONY is taking action against me...i'm enraged.

That is the argument here?

Pretty much. The outrage is weird. The collection has always been advertised as requiring PS Plus and PS5 console to redeem the offer. Sony also hasn't announced that this offer is limited.

Fbh

How are they differentiating from people buying access to these games online and someone who simply has a buddy with a Ps5?
They really should have put some extra steps to avoid the games being redeemed on Ps4 if they care this much. Put a one time use code in every console or simply make it so the games only appear as free on Ps5.

I guess technically they are in the right. But this is like organizing a big concert, haveing literally no one checking tickets and the entrance and then being butthurt that people without tickets showed up

Because its not some sort of long time loyalty reward. It's a special promotion that's tied to the purchase of a new $400-500 product. Lots of companies do stuff like this.

Where Sony screwed up was in pretty much putting no system in place to avoid people easily accessing them from Ps4

My son and his best friend have accounts on my ps4 and ps5, they both claimed the free games. I better not get banned.

Sony generally bans accounts, not consoles.
So at most your son and his friend would get banned, but not you

Last edited:
Top Bottom