• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game sharing and PS3 (de)activation explained

andydumi said:
This can be done. Just escalate your call and they can do it. They wiped the slate clean for me around August last year when I had the PS3 replaced. Had I known then, I would have deactivated myself (only the fan was broken) but I didnt do it. So they did something and opened up that slot.

Funny, I just called up again before reading this, and the guy I was talking too was telling me how he'd love to help me, but he doesn't have the actual tools available, and he said nobody did. He seemed very helpful and well meaning and sorry about this situation too. How did you go about getting to someone who could wipe it clean for you? Through the repair center or through the regular consumer services department? Any info is appreciated. The guy told me the only option he had would be to just delete my account entirely, which obviously wouldn't help out at all.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Firestreak said:
Funny, I just called up again before reading this, and the guy I was talking too was telling me how he'd love to help me, but he doesn't have the actual tools available, and he said nobody did. He seemed very helpful and well meaning and sorry about this situation too. How did you go about getting to someone who could wipe it clean for you? Through the repair center or through the regular consumer services department? Any info is appreciated. The guy told me the only option he had would be to just delete my account entirely, which obviously wouldn't help out at all.

Have you tested and confirmed that your dead PS3 is indeed counted against your 5 activations or are you assuming?

Just asking because I have a dead PS3 (won't power on) and I'm trying to gather information on what to do before and after replacement.

I've heard that I can't just remove my HD and use it in a different console...is that correct? Are they tied together??

Yes, it counts against me.

Have the 2 PS3s activated, the 3rd dead one(it's apparantly been taken apart for spare parts), my old roommate's and my PSN friend - tested out on my friend's new PS3 - and wouldn't work. Don't actually wanna load my stuff onto his, but I'd like to not be screwed if one of my current machine breaks.

Also would be nice to gameshare with my Japanese friend from FFXI who got her PS3... because not all games have worldwide servers and she might need the US version to play with me.

If you put your old HD into a new PS3 by the way, it'll format it.

Oh yeah, what's really annoying, I bought - as in not rental but bought 2 items from the PSN video store.

One on my PS3 upstairs, one on the PS3 downstairs.

You can only activate one PS3 at a time for your video account.

You can't redownload.

Which means to watch the video upstairs, I have to go downstairs and deactivate that PS3's video account. Then to watch the video downstairs, have to deactivate the one upstairs and reactivate downstairs.

Very annoying. If I'd known, I'd have made a 2nd account for downstairs just for buying/renting videos down there. It's so pointless, being that you can't redownload anyway, they don't appear in your download list.

Beatbox

Firestreak said:
Yes, it counts against me.

Have the 2 PS3s activated, the 3rd dead one(it's apparantly been taken apart for spare parts), my old roommate's and my PSN friend - tested out on my friend's new PS3 - and wouldn't work. Don't actually wanna load my stuff onto his, but I'd like to not be screwed if one of my current machine breaks.

Also would be nice to gameshare with my Japanese friend from FFXI who got her PS3... because not all games have worldwide servers and she might need the US version to play with me.

If you put your old HD into a new PS3 by the way, it'll format it.

Thanks for the info - looks like I'll need to make sure they can deactivate it for me when I send it in for replacement. I think I've only shared with three real life friends - but I would hate to see a dead machine eating up my last slot.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup of my HD - but thankfully I found game saves from a month ago. I think there were a few crappy PSN game saves that weren't able to be copied - but I don't recall anything important. Also, I can't remember my PSN ID's for my HK/JPN/UK accounts but I can just make new ones since they were just used for DL's.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Firestreak said:

I called the customer service number, not the service center. Then asked for a supervisor and they did something or other. It took overnight (they said they would email me when done) and they did after about 48 hours.

Sucks when there are demos gone from the JP store that you liked before. Losing the demo actually prompted me to buy Hot Shots Golf though, which was worth it. Though I do miss the funny voices from the Japanese demo.

Called again and asked - the woman said to call back monday - because on the weekends the people who can help are off.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Does each master and sub account on a PS3 get 5 activations as well? Or is it limited to 5 per system, regardless of master or sub accounts?

Beatbox

Firestreak said:
Sucks when there are demos gone from the JP store that you liked before. Losing the demo actually prompted me to buy Hot Shots Golf though, which was worth it. Though I do miss the funny voices from the Japanese demo.

Called again and asked - the woman said to call back monday - because on the weekends the people who can help are off.

I think i had a bunch of quirky PS3 promo/ads that might not be around anymore. Don't think I'll really miss them too much or anything else for that matter.

So if I put my HD in a 2.5" external case that I have - my PC won't be able to see the proprietery file format right? And even if they did there wouldn't be a way to retrieve that data to a replacement PS3?

Possibly your PC can read the data, but no way to get back onto the PS3. Maybe back when we could convince our PS3s that files on our PC was folding@home off the PSN. I think that's been patched.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Speevy said:
I bet they couldn't explain what keeps me from downloading from new external accounts.

What do you mean external accounts?

I believe you can only have a total of 8 or 16 total activated accounts on a PS3. I think 8 created there, and 8 created on other PS3s. I forget the actual breakdown, they said it a while ago.

Ermac said:
Does each master and sub account on a PS3 get 5 activations as well? Or is it limited to 5 per system, regardless of master or sub accounts?
Today 10:33 AM

I dont think you can share sub accounts.

Beatbox

Firestreak said:
Possibly your PC can read the data, but no way to get back onto the PS3. Maybe back when we could convince our PS3s that files on our PC was folding@home off the PSN. I think that's been patched.

Thanks again. Just read that PC's see the HD as an unkown device - even Linux can't read the drive.

Did you send a friends request way back that I (eFertLISdotcom) ignored? Firestreak sounds familiar. If so, I didn't know you were from GAF or I would've accepted :D If not, it was definitely your carbon clone.

Was me, and I sent cause I spent the entire summer 2007 playing Gripshift with a couple of my friends, and whenever we got a great time, we saw the top place and bitched, "damn that efertlis!"

FirewalkR

Beatbox said:
Thanks again. Just read that PC's see the HD as an unkown device - even Linux can't read the drive.

Did you send a friends request way back that I (eFertLISdotcom) ignored? Firestreak sounds familiar. If so, I didn't know you were from GAF or I would've accepted :D If not, it was definitely your carbon clone.

You're that efertlis dude??

DAMN YOU!!!! :lol

Beatbox

Firestreak said:
Was me, and I sent cause I spent the entire summer 2007 playing Gripshift with a couple of my friends, and whenever we got a great time, we saw the top place and bitched, "damn that efertlis!"

That's awesome! I have a feeling you weren't the only ones cursing at me for that game :D At one point I had first place on like 250+/425 ranks and top 3 on almost all the rest :lol Sucks that people found a glitch and started using it - that's when I stopped playing completely at Sidhe's request. They were supposed to fix it and cap all the best legit times based on all my times - but I never heard back from them. Anyways, send another request - I'll add you in a few weeks when i get a replacement.

FirewalkR said:
You're that efertlis dude??

DAMN YOU!!!! :lol

Hahahah. See! I knew Firestreak wasn't alone! :lol

Haha alright, I'll surprise my buddies when they come over and I'll point you out on the list.

http://www.gripshiftgame.com/ps3/rankings.php

Still clinging onto the first page! Kinda sad considering I haven't touched that game since 2007. Even more sad they never gave us that level editor. It would be so amazing, especially if the created levels got ranked as well.

Beatbox

Firestreak said:
Haha alright, I'll surprise my buddies when they come over and I'll point you out on the list.

http://www.gripshiftgame.com/ps3/rankings.php

Still clinging onto the first page! Kinda sad considering I haven't touched that game since 2007. Even more sad they never gave us that level editor. It would be so amazing, especially if the created levels got ranked as well.

Deal. Surprised I still have 68 top times, especially some Easy and Intermediate where the glitchers had a car that was much much faster. The timing of the glitch sucked because I easily would've broken a billion points. Yeah, my times were last updates 10/29/2007. I just peeked in the forums and it doesn't look like they are even gonna bother trying to get Sony to let them do another patch. Good news is that Sidhe is now a PS3 publisher - so patches and updates should be much easier for them to add to future titles.

Keep us posted here when you get in touch with Sony during the week - curious to see how they handle deactivating your dead console.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Beatbox said:
That's awesome! I have a feeling you weren't the only ones cursing at me for that game :D At one point I had first place on like 250+/425 ranks and top 3 on almost all the rest :lol Sucks that people found a glitch and started using it - that's when I stopped playing completely at Sidhe's request. They were supposed to fix it and cap all the best legit times based on all my times - but I never heard back from them. Anyways, send another request - I'll add you in a few weeks when i get a replacement.

Hahahah. See! I knew Firestreak wasn't alone! :lol

Wow, that was you? I love that game, I wish we had gotten the level editor as well. Ill send you an invite as well if you dont mind. And one to Firestreak,

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
andydumi said:
I dont think you can share sub accounts.

It is possible, I've done it before. So does anyone know if you create a sub account on a PS3, if you are granted 5 shares with that account as well? I think I may have shared with more than 5 users. (split between one master and one sub account.)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Speevy said:
Accounts not on my system.

You can DL only from accounts that are on your system at the time you are trying to download, you have to log in as those accts. Do you mean accts created on another PS3 and shared to your system? Then read above on the total accounts limit. Someone corrected me, its 15 total, but I dont know the breakdown. Sony stated its to prevent someone from stealing a lot of accounts somehow...

Called tech support again today. Got it reset.

Basically it went like this.

I called tech support, I explained the problem, the guy misunderstood the problem, I explain it. The guy told me there was nothing he could do. I explained that I was told if the call was escalated it could be. He said I had been told misinformation. I said that I was told by another tech support, who couldn't help me cause the people were off on the weekend. Then he contacted his supervisor.

He talked to the supervisor for me for like 10 minutes, before finally just connecting me directly, and he deactivated everything for me.

So I have all activations back now. Joy to the world, la di di da da, do di dum dee!

Maggot9

Banned
Say an account already has 5 PS3's activated to it. In order for one of those PS3's to deactivate and free up a space on said account, does that PS3 need to be logged into THAT account? Is there ANY other way to deactivate an account WITHOUT logging into said account?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maggot9 said:
Say an account already has 5 PS3's activated to it. In order for one of those PS3's to deactivate and free up a space on said account, does that PS3 need to be logged into THAT account? Is there ANY other way to deactivate an account WITHOUT logging into said account?

No. You must log into the account from the PS3.

@ Firestreak

I told you it was doable, its just that its uncommon and regular techs dont know how to do it.

I wonder what happens to that jerk who I let mooch off my account. Next time they log onto the PSN network the de-activation gets updated?

Fëanor

Might as well as the question here. Can you delete accounts? If so, how do you go about doing that? I'm not keeping the PS3 at the moment, and I would like to know how to delete my account.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Fëanor said:
Might as well as the question here. Can you delete accounts? If so, how do you go about doing that? I'm not keeping the PS3 at the moment, and I would like to know how to delete my account.

No. Deactivate it from the machine, and that will mean you have 0 machines active. When and if you get another later, you ca just activate, and it will be like you never left, you can redownload your stuff you bought and everything. Then delete all accounts off the machine, and format the drive before you sell/give it away. You can also make a hard drive backup of your saved games for the future.

@ Firestreak

I think they remove the 5, and his won't change. He wont be able to access the account, if he does not know the password, but as long as the acct is on there, and he has downloaded whatever games he did, he will be fine.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Beatbox said:

Yeah, not sure if the PS3 version will ever get patched, despite a patch being good to go from our side at least :( On the plus side, we are now a PS3 publisher so we won't have similar issues for anything we self publish to the platform in future.

In any case, you may as well rejoin the fray if you ever have the hankering and feel free to use the speed exploit. Our final solution was going to be to uncap the speed on the lower difficulty levels anyway, so using your times wouldn't be necessary.

Beatbox

Mario said:
Yeah, not sure if the PS3 version will ever get patched, despite a patch being good to go from our side at least :( On the plus side, we are now a PS3 publisher so we won't have similar issues for anything we self publish to the platform in future.

In any case, you may as well rejoin the fray if you ever have the hankering and feel free to use the speed exploit. Our final solution was going to be to uncap the speed on the lower difficulty levels anyway, so using your times wouldn't be necessary.

Congrats on the Publisher status - can't wait to find out what your next PSN/Live game is. Good to hear that patches and the like will be much easier for you to roll out for future titles.

I didn't mean for it sound like I was blaming you guys for me not playing GS anymore....the glitchers fault ;) I'll keep my legit times for now. Feel free to send me a working PS3 though...or I'll settle for a frame to go with the awesome poster you sent me :D Was there any other cool Gripshift swag?

Andy - feel free to send a friend invite - not sure when I'll get around to getting my PS3 fixed though.

Firestreak - glad to hear that Sony took care of you. Gives me hope.

Pssst Mario, just give us the patch. Call it a 100% completion bonus. =p

(Disclaimer: Never beat the last tournament, power outage 3/4 of the way through killed my spirit.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Everyone needs to read this. It explained A LOT of things for me and my friends.

Clinton514

So in other words..my dead PS3 which is now in the hands of Sony is still active to my account. How do I go about removing that machine from my active list?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Clinton514 said:
So in other words..my dead PS3 which is now in the hands of Sony is still active to my account. How do I go about removing that machine from my active list?

Read the thread. Call Sony and let them know.

sun-drop

is there a way of finding out how many activations you have left?

my 60GB orig ps3 YLOD'd this year, and i sent it in for repair ... now i got my orig ps3 back because i demanded so. but i wonder .. is it the ps3's NIC that registers it. ? what if a part is replaced on it that ends up making the ps3 look like a differnt ps3 when i go log in on it with my account. ie a second activation..

and which games are not sharable? .. like warhawk for eg. ..? and how so? .. does it mean only one of my potential activated ps3's can play the game at any one time? .. or does it actually not let you download the game period. i'm guessing the former.

think is i'm going away to stay at my brothers for a wee while and i'd like to play some of my psn games, on his ps3 when i go up there and login as 'me' on it.

might be cool to leave them on his ps3 to try out after i'm gone, but then again i don't want to get home and find i'm locked out of playing particular psn games i've brought.

the whole game sharing ps3/activation thing is needed ... mainly due to the fact you can't swap out HDD's with ps3 without it formating ... it's the only way around drama if your ps3 gets bricked.

netguy503

So what's the number for tech support guys? I have a dead PS3 and would like my activation off it. I called Sony directly and said they couldn't do anything about it which is a lie. My system is years out of warranty and I'm not going to send my system into Sony for a $150 dollar deactivation. I have the system's serial number right here and my account email and password for the machine and that should be enough for them to look at my records (has been before). Please help me GAF, what do I do, and could you give me a number to call please?

Speevy

Banned
Was there a thread in which the mods gave an official reason for the closing of the PSN game sharing thread?

netguy503

Speevy said:
Was there a thread in which the mods gave an official reason for the closing of the PSN game sharing thread?

because it's not good and can screw you and your friend over (now more than ever with ps3's dying).

And to the poster above, the thermal grease fix is only a four month (AT BEST!) fix. Sony can and should deacitivate accounts if you give them the right system info it's finding the right person/ # to call/ and things to point out to them that is the hard part.

skrew

Banned
Game sharing is and always was against sony's TOS. I PMed a mod to get the thread closed because I didn't want to see game sharing linked to my name anymore.

It is a stupid idea to share your psn account with strangers on the internet. If my PS3 died and all my activations were used up, I would be pretty pissed. Ofcourse with the sense of entitlement of most forum members, we would see a lot of internet rage at sony over it.

netguy503

bandresen said:
How do you know it's a lie?

Several members on here just said they were able to do it? The guy I talked with didn't even ask if I had my system recently in for repairs he just said "NO".

if i let a friend login and download all my stuff and then i change my password on my own system, will said friend no longer have access to that content?

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
TTP said:
Yes, but on the server side your machine is still linked to the account associated to the User profile you deleted. It doesnt get automatically de-activated. That's a procedure you gotta do "manually" in the Account Management. I learned this the hard way when a guy I shared my account with decided to sell his system. He told me he formatted the HDD and everything (and I though that was enough), but despite that, I had only 3 activations left at my disposal. This, I discovered later, was because he had to deactivate the system before selling it. :/
I also delete my profile and Reformatted the hard drive and sold it to my cousin. So I don't have my 40 GB PS3.....so can I go to the Sony web site and go in the Account Management and de-activated the old Account? Because I am thinking of getting a new PS3 soon if I can sell all of my 95 PS2 games that I have left.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
netguy503 said:
Several members on here just said they were able to do it?
Oh sorry, I somehow skipped those when flying through the thread.

That's good news for you but this is basically the same thing Amazon can do with the Kindle which is bad news. If they can remotely deactive my machine, they could technically lock me out of my purchases.

Speevy

Banned
skrew said:
Game sharing is and always was against sony's TOS. I PMed a mod to get the thread closed because I didn't want to see game sharing linked to my name anymore.

It is a stupid idea to share your psn account with strangers on the internet. If my PS3 died and all my activations were used up, I would be pretty pissed. Ofcourse with the sense of entitlement of most forum members, we would see a lot of internet rage at sony over it.

I don't think there's been any "rage" over it, particularly not from me. I keep most of my accounts deactivated anyway so there's no problem.

I take no personal issue with your change of heart, so I sincerely hope you weren't talking about me. I think sharers accept what could happen to their games if the system fails.

netguy503

skrew said:

Sony is partly responsible for the YLOD (however big, is anyone's guess in the end as you have to factor in quite a bit). Saying they aren't even a tad responsible is foolish.

sun-drop

in terms of games that limit play based on activations .. ie warhawk, socom

is that the case wil all psn games that have been shipped on bluray?

what the current list of titles that restrict access like those?

Top Bottom