• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN possibly hacked by OurMine; Megahurtz stolen, Uncharted downgradeton

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Since I'm a super bold and brazen badass, I just added my CC to my PSN to show that I am not afraid of hackers.

And then I crushed a beer can on my head to emphasize my badassery.

EmiPrime

Unless Twitter and FB have been hacked then it's on Sony is it not? Somehow their social media accounts have been compromised, whether through an app or something an employee with access has done. Or a bad password. Or something someone else with better security knowledge than me can explain.

Companies like this should be changing social media passwords frequently as it is, especially if multiple people have access.

It's likely the fault of a compromised site/app that has full access to their social media via their apis. It won't be just Sony's social media accounts that are affected, this group has the ability to post to a ton of corporate social media accounts through that one access point. In which case it wouldn't matter how many times the password is changed, you'd need to revoke access to the site/app.

Removed my Paypal information just in case. It gates all transactions, so even if someone hacked my 2-step authenticated account, I will know what they bought, but the jackasses at Sony will ban anyone who do charge backs. So yeah, not dealing with that headache.

If a good sale pops up, I will connect with Paypal again, but Sony this isn't a good look.

Best wishes.

Cynn

Since I'm a super bold and brazen badass, I just added my CC to my PSN to show that I am not afraid of hackers.

And then I crushed a beer can on my head to emphasize my badassery.

They said the card was already maxed out and useless. Could you add another one please?

LiK

So far they only hacked Twitter accounts and other social media services. I don't believe we need to worry about it.

Kyrios

If Sony suspected a breach or whatever, wouldn't they at least temporarily take down PSN into emergency maintenance? The fact that the status page still displays "All green" says nothing actually happened.

MRORANGE

Here we go again.

2429152_o.gif

Seriously Sony, its like you never learn.

Serious question - until Sony address this, how do we even know it's safe to change our details?

Well if its anything purchase related, and you were using Paypal, you will know right away if something weird happened. Otherwise, keep an eye on your credit card statements for any weird purchases. Either way, 2-step authentication should suffice hopefully.

One way or another, if Sony bans anyone who request a charge back if this hack goes the whole 2011-way and more, they definitely deserve every ounce of hate that they get as a tone-deaf company.

Best wishes.

Spinky

These people are fucking idiots.

If you have access to Playstation's official Twitter account and you're not gonna tweet that everybody will be able to change their PSN IDs soon, you're wasting your damn time.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just removed my Paypal and CC linked to my account

I now remember why I don't leave anything attached and it's because any charge backs are literally instant ban. While any other normal fucking game company just removes the permissions on the account for the games

Belker

Well if its anything purchase related, and you were using Paypal, you will know right away if something weird happened. Otherwise, keep an eye on your credit card statements for any weird purchases. Either way, 2-step authentication should suffice hopefully.

One way or another, if Sony bans anyone who request a charge back if this hack goes the whole 2011-way and more, they are definitely deserve every ounce of hate that they get as a tone-deaf company.

Best wishes.

Thanks. Annoyingly, I just put my credit card on the system the other day, after having used PSN codes previously. I did set up two-factor a while ago, though.

WadeitOut

Why give it more exposure when you can just let it die? afawk this's nothing but a social network account hijack.

If your public facing social media accounts are hacked...it's probably still a good idea to give a statement so people know if their shit is safe or not.

Audioboxer

It's likely the fault of a compromised site/app that has full access to their social media via their apis. It won't be just Sony's social media accounts that are affected, this group has the ability to post to a ton of corporate social media accounts through that one access point. In which case it wouldn't matter how many times the password is changed, you'd need to revoke access to the site/app.

Ah okay, yeah, cmon Twitter. If someone changes their password it should cause 3rd party API access to reset.

Kolx

If your public facing social media accounts are hacked...it's probably still a good idea to give a statement so people know if their shit is safe or not.

If they released a statement more people will know about this and they'll freak out. I just checked the big sites(ign, gamespot...) and none reported this. Release a statement and it'll be on every site imaginable.

HMD

I'm having 2011 PSN hack flashbacks. How catastrophic would a similar hack be today? I imagine it'd be 10 times worse considering a lot of games are online only nowadays.

WadeitOut

If they released a statement more people will know about this and they'll freak out. I just checked the big sites(ign, gamespot...) and none reported this. Release a statement and it'll be on every site imaginable.

It's a Sunday. There will definitely be articles about it tomorrow morning regardless.

It's ridiculous to say they shouldn't have to say anything because they got the tweets deleted lol. You already have people on GAF changing their passwords for stuff just in case.

Top Bottom