• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Sale of the Dead [US] Week 1 - Dead Rising 1-2-OTR, RE 4/5/6, Walking Dead

lupinko

So I got the Steam edition of RE4 from a friend, but it looks kinda...bad. Some of the textures look as if they were lifted right from the PS2.

Does the PS4 version look any better?

They re-released a better HD version on Steam that's based on the GameCube game. That's the current version on steam and the one PS4 and Xbone are based on.

The only legacy PS2 stuff remaining is from Separate Ways because there are no GameCube assets for those cutscenes.

autoduelist

Is Poltergeist: Pixelated Horror just kind of like a "pixel version" of the Genesis game Haunted?

I have never played haunted, but I've played PPH.

It's a puzzle game. You start each 'house' with a set number of possible supernatural tools [say, 2 moving objects, 1 possession, 1 apparition]. Each house has individuals scattered about, and you need to use those tools [each of which has a specific effect] to scare everyone out of the house.

There are various complexities thrown in -- for example, if someone is sitting on a couch, you can't shake the couch unless you first scare the individual once to make them stand. Individuals also often have 2 or 3 scare points, so you carefully need to herd them about so that you can scare several with a single tool.

Eventually, the game throws in special units [psychics, skeptics, ghostbusters, etc] that each can prevent certain types of tools, so you need to adjust to that.

Some of the puzzles end up being quite complex. Each set of 10 or so missions is in a different time period. Overall, I'd say the game is quite dry but it's not bad -- I do a set of 10 missions, forget about the game for a few months, do another set, etc. Skip unless you love puzzle games, but don't spend more than a buck or two and be prepared for it to be dry.

lupinko

I don't know how it is on the US store but for Canadians those interested in re4-6, it's cheaper to buy them separately than buying the bundle. With PS+ discounts for example, you'd save $3 doing so.

I'm tempted to buy them at $15 CDN but I think they should be even more cheaper than that.

I grabbed Catherine and Harmony of Despair, after having incidentally re-set up my PS3 after a year of it hanging around waiting for some love after I put my PS4 in it's old spot. Both are games I had my eyes on forever, and the price was cheap enough I figured it was worth it. I'm assume Harmony's online is 100% dead but from what I played it still seems pretty fun alone, and I've wanted to get back to Igavania for awhile.

I'm hoping for a good deal on The Last Of Us and Until Dawn next week. If they somehow go to $10 I'll happily grab both.

Anyone able to advocate for Oxenfree? It's the only game here that has caught my interest really, Dead Rising 1 kind of seems interesting, but I watched a fair amount of a let's play of that and apparently it is glitchy, or is that just the other two Dead Rising ports? Anyways, Oxenfree though seems to be praised well enough, but the price still seems a little high since I nothing I've seen for it has really grabbed my attention and made me get really invested. My interest is piqued, but not yet peaked (sorry for the pun). :)

I played it for three hours straight last night and I cannot wait to see how the rest of the story unfolds. I wouldn't necessarily call this a scary game, as it's mostly thriller/science-fiction, but I have been loving everything about it so far!

Hmm, sounds good. How far along do you think you are? What's your estimate for play time?

fernoca

Yeah, I'm in love with Oxenfree. Was always interested and after Stranger Things, some talked about both having similar vibes. Got the bundle with the theme and avatars.

Yeah, I'm in love with Oxenfree. Was always interested and after Stranger Things, some talked about both having similar vibes. Got the bundle with the theme and avatars.

Cool! How is the theme by the way? I tend to collect them.

Maybe halfway? I spent about 30 minutes going for collectibles, so it's a bit padded.

Hm, alright. So you can take your time then. I have heard that the game may have alternate paths based on the choices one makes, so do you think it'd be repayable as well?

How similar is this to Inside, by the way? Can anyone who has played both compare the two? I was considering getting that as well if it shows up during the second week of the sale, so I was wondering if the two games are similar enough to consider only being one for now. Obviously there is no guarantee that Inside will be on sale next week, but considering that it is on sale on Steam right now, I'd expect some kind of equivalent sale on PSN sometime soon.

Cool! How is the theme by the way? I tend to collect them.
I like the theme enough that I have no intentions of changing it any time soon. :D

Hm, alright. So you can take your time then. I have heard that the game may have alternate paths based on the choices one makes, so do you think it'd be repayable as well?
I can't speak on the specifics, but I did scope out PlayStation Trophies to see the if there was a Platinum trophy and its time/difficulty rating. The community voted it a "1" in difficulty and members have been saying it requires at least 3 play-throughs to get the Platinum.

How similar is this to Inside, by the way? Can anyone who has played both compare the two? I was considering getting that as well if it shows up during the second week of the sale, so I was wondering if the two games are similar enough to consider only being one for now. Obviously there is no guarantee that Inside will be on sale next week, but considering that it is on sale on Steam right now, I'd expect some kind of equivalent sale on PSN sometime soon.
Not similar at all. They are two very different narratives with two different types of gameplay.

Nonetheless, I feel they are both absolutely worth playing.

I like the theme enough that I have no intentions of changing it any time soon. :D

I can't speak on the specifics, but I did scope out PlayStation Trophies to see the if there was a Platinum trophy and its time/difficulty rating. The community voted it a "1" in difficulty and members have been saying it requires at least 3 play-throughs to get the Platinum.

Not similar at all. They are two very different narratives with two different types of gameplay.

Nonetheless, I feel they are both absolutely worth playing.

Alright, thanks for the impressions on the game and all of the answers to my other questions. One other thing I'd like to check on is related to Inside. I didn't really get into Limbo, but Inside is getting even more universal praise. I was wondering whether Inside's appeal is more universal than Limbo's, considering they are made by the same developer, a concern of mine is of the possibility that they are too similar.

Alright, thanks for the impressions on the game and all of the answers to my other questions. One other thing I'd like to check on is related to Inside. I didn't really get into Limbo, but Inside is getting even more universal praise. I was wondering whether Inside's appeal is more universal than Limbo's, considering they are made by the same developer, a concern of mine is of the possibility that they are too similar.
Limbo and Inside's similarities are that they are both 2D puzzle-platformers. I like Limbo, don't get me wrong, but Inside is much much better. Inside has much better puzzles and the whole experience is, well, go play it and find out! :D

Limbo and Inside's similarities are that they are both 2D puzzle-platformers. I like Limbo, don't get me wrong, but Inside is much much better. Inside has much better puzzles and the whole experience is, well, go play it and find out! :D

Good to hear. I imagine with all of the praise it has to be excellent, I was just a little apprehensive because I wasn't as enamored with Limbo as many appeared to be.

Dracula X Chronicles worth it at that price? I mostly want it for Symphony of the Night and I am okay with the new voices in this version.

Rymuth

I want DR1 for my collection. But I won't be playing the game for a while - so I don't know if I should pull the trigger now or next time it goes on sale...

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Been staring at my cart for most of the weekend.
Not sure what I wanna do.
Re4 sells itself
But I'm not entirely certain on the other 2 games in there
Layers of fear: always looked interesting conceptually but have heard mixed impressions of it in general.
Oxenfree: super interested yet find myself hesitating

Gaf please help any impressions on the last 2 games that could convince me one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PSN Store is showing "Week 2" under sales and on the sale page's title now, but it's still Week 1 deals. I imagine Week 2 deals are about to go up soon.

Hopefully Bloodborne GOTY for cheap.

mieumieu

I will feel guilty for waiting for a sale with an indie game, but NecroDancer better be at a sale this time so that I can double dip :) I am still not quite used to the iPhone controls.

Good to hear. I imagine with all of the praise it has to be excellent, I was just a little apprehensive because I wasn't as enamored with Limbo as many appeared to be.
Did you wind up buying Oxenfree? I'd be curious to hear your 30-second impression.

I've not had the time to play it much over the past few days, but, trust me, I'm itching for it!

Top Bottom