• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

Listonosh

I recommend people not watch Jim Sterling's Jimquisition on the VR. It's really poor. This is coming from someone with a lot of respect for Jim.

Can't wait for all of you to be dipping your toes into the warm, balmy virtual reality ocean! Going to be so great hearing all these experiences. Really glad the reviews are so positive, too, for a first wave.

I disagree. And this is coming from someone who is excited as hell for PSVR. It's not that he's overly negative about PSVR itself, but more grounded on the idea of VR in general, and he has every right to be. It's hard to sell people on a $400 thing when that thing could very well lose all support a few years down the line.

I mean, yeah, I disagree with him on a few points, but I wouldn't say it's not worth watching.

I disagree. And this is coming from someone who is excited as hell for PSVR. It's not that he's overly negative about PSVR itself, but more grounded on the idea of VR in general, and he has every right to be. It's hard to sell people on a $400 thing when that thing could very well lose all support a few years down the line.

I mean, yeah, I disagree with him on a few points, but I wouldn't say it's not worth watching.

"A few years" is a lifetime when dealing with tech.

Shoeless

I'll honestly be amazed if we have strong support one year later.

I'm hoping for it, but yeah... considering Sony's track record... still, when they think something DOES have a future, they can really dig in their heels, as they did with the PS3 and the Blu-Ray format. So hopefully it's more than than 3D TVs/games and PS Move.

Grinchy

Banned
Does anyone know when Giant Bomb is doing their actual PSVR release stream? They said they'd be doing one this week but I don't think a day was ever specified.

Does anyone know when Giant Bomb is doing their actual PSVR release stream? They said they'd be doing one this week but I don't think a day was ever specified.

I think the rest of the embargos are up tomorrow for the launch stuff so they'll probably do something with those games tomorrow. I don't know how in depth it will be, they already looked at a lot of the games.

Shoeless

I think the rest of the embargos are up tomorrow for the launch stuff so they'll probably do something with those games tomorrow. I don't know how in depth it will be, they already looked at a lot of the games.

I'm curious to hear about Here They Lie. It's pretty high on my radar.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Has anybody had tracking information update through Amazon?

Mine still shows preparing for shipment

Nothing for me. They haven't charged my card either. Paranoia is out of control right now.

I disagree.

His whole argument was framed from the position of feeling he needs to be the antithesis of the hardcore VR pundits and misses several key points when driving too far off the road to provide any salient arguments.

The whole episode was formed from an "oh yeah? I don't think so!"

When you're arguments consist of why we move our hands in VR when it's easier to press a button then, yes, he misses the mark big time.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
When you're arguments consist of why we move our hands in VR when it's easier to press a button then, yes, he misses the mark big time.

Agreed completely. Motion controls coming before VR is pretty much putting the cart before the horse.

Does anyone know if you can use PSVR with just one move controler - at least with some games?
I vaguely remember reading about a game that supported all three controls schemes (DS4, 1 Move, or 2 Moves) but can't remember what it was. Seems like most games are going for either DS4 or 2 Moves though.

Even the Move was supported longer than that. Let's be realistic with our cynicism.

PS Move was a by far cheaper peripheral with a significantly larger install base. A significant amount of that "support" was tacked on as an optional control scheme. For a FPS, it was pretty trivial to do. Despite all these factors, the support was still miserable. Almost everything in most of those years wasn't even worth looking at with some of the most interesting stuff was being at the beginning. So I say again, I'd be amazed if we got strong support after a year.

That doesn't mean all development ceases by then; it means having substantial strong titles still being worked on and released. There's considerably more involvement with supporting VR than PS Move and VR is going to be a $400, $450 or even $500 investment, or ten times the price, with likely a smaller user base. I would not be shocked if development slows to a crawl after a year and I'm getting one with that understanding.

Finally in my hands, yes!

hOVvPpx.jpg

Ogni-XR21

I believe you can stream whatever is appearing on the TV (either your view or a second view if it's a second screen game) but I doubt you can use your camera to show your face at the same time it's being used for VR. This is not confirmed but I do know for a fact that the Share functions work during VR.

I think the stream shows a non-unwarped view of the game, the image of one eye before it's being sent to the PU. You can see it quite good here at around the 2 minute mark. Also makes sense, it would not be very practical to send the unwarped image back to the PS4 from the processing unit, I don't think there would be enough bandwidth to do this.

Renkax

Amazon says My PSVR is "Not yet shipped and hasn't taken the money from my account yet. But my Rigs copy is also coming Oct 13 but it's in "Pre-ordered" man this wait is killing meeee

D23

°°ToMmY°°;219872105 said:
To know if you're wearing it or not

First time playing it the feeling of being in a different world is really nice

p5ijpg

Need more impression!!

Did you try the demo yet?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Amazon says My PSVR is "Not yet shipped and hasn't taken the money from my account yet. But my Rigs copy is also coming Oct 13 but it's in "Pre-ordered" man this wait is killing meeee

Mine hasn't changed yet either. Still says on time.

Need more impression!!

Did you try the demo yet?

Demo still downloading the update file, 5 point something gigs.

Played a bit of vr worlds, the shark encounter crapped me out, had to pause the game twice. don't play that as first experience, it will make you shit bricks

cakely

°°ToMmY°°;219880451 said:

Played a bit of vr worlds, the shark encounter crapped me out, had to pause the game twice. don't play that as first experience, it will make you shit bricks

PSVR makes an excellent laxative: confirmed.

Kyolux

My friend almost threw the headset away when the shark came toward her when we tried it at the mall this week-end.

JustenP88

I've got the exact same thing. No charges and no updates on the order status. I'm going to pop a shit if my shipment ends up being delayed.

JohngPR

Damn, the shark one is the first one I was going to try, LMAO.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried any VR content so this will be my first time doing anything in VR.

Stanng243

So the shark is fairly realistic? That sounds like the perfect thing to have some family members try.

Kyolux

Any suggestions? I haven't tried any VR content so this will be my first time doing anything in VR.

if you have some moves and picked up vr worlds, London Heist could be cool. That was my first experience with VR. (that game's demo)

JohngPR

So far, I have Eve Valkyrie (Thanks Amazon!), Rez Infinite, and Driveclub VR (Thanks Newegg!) coming.

Playstation VR Worlds is something I definitely want to try out. Maybe I'll use this $25 gift card I have for Toys R Us that I have and get it on the cheap.

To be honest, if that shark shit is on the main screen when loading the game, I probably won't be playing fucking the Worlds game much. I have a strong fear of those beasts. Took me up around high school until I could even look at pictures/tv with them, but a VR game like that is a hard nope on my end.

That aside, kind of glad Gamestop is doing a midnight opening, so I can go grab my headset tomorrow and get it all setup so when I get home from work Thursday I can jump right in.

goonergaz

PSVR definitely isn't better pound-for-pound in terms of the experience. It is better value in terms of convenience and comfort. But the Vive's room-scale experiences easily make up for the higher price. You can't get those with Rift, PSVR or Gear/Cardboard. Room-scale Vive is a fucking game-changer.

Oh yeah, I totally get that - it was a bad choice of words...I just meant more affordable and that even if you couldn't get (or utilise) VIVE then PSVR will give you a good experience for a good price. I would totally get VIVE (as well) if I had the funds - I have a games room which would be ideal but couldn't justify the outlay of VIVE & expensive PC vs £350.

Except if you want to use HDR...

I admit an oversight, but for the small percentage of people that wish to use HDR then a simple HDMI to HDMI coupler would be easy enough.

Man, I hope VR has the effect for me. Usually games don't hit me like that, and I know some people don't feel VR like that the way others do. I hope I can let VR do its thing.

winstano

I've now had the headset for 10 days, and I've found the following:

1) Once you get used to putting it on, it's second nature. So easy to get the sweet spot in the lenses.

2) I had my first issues with tracking last night. Similar to the Giant Bomb stream, but nowhere near as serious. I rebooted the PS4 - went back to being perfectly fine, so my guess is that this is software related.

3) The PS4 home screen/XMB frame rate dips if you don't quit the game you're playing in, which can be a bit disorientating.

4) Motion sickness is a thing. Tomb Raider's VR mode is... Woof. Put it in free mode and turn the camera, instant nausea. (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5D0BxCgZc )

5) The more I play, the more I'm impressed. I stand by my review, Sony have absolutely nailed the price/performance balance. There are limitations, but once you've gotten used to them and know what it can and can't do? It's brilliant.

1) Once you get used to putting it on, it's second nature. So easy to get the sweet spot in the lenses.

2) I had my first issues with tracking last night. Similar to the Giant Bomb stream, but nowhere near as serious. I rebooted the PS4 - went back to being perfectly fine, so my guess is that this is software related.

3) The PS4 home screen/XMB frame rate dips if you don't quit the game you're playing in, which can be a bit disorientating.

4) Motion sickness is a thing. Tomb Raider's VR mode is... Woof. Put it in free mode and turn the camera, instant nausea. (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5D0BxCgZc )

5) The more I play, the more I'm impressed. I stand by my review, Sony have absolutely nailed the price/performance balance. There are limitations, but once you've gotten used to them and know what it can and can't do? It's brilliant.

For number 3 you mean if you hit the home button versus holding and quitting out?

robotrock

Banned

Favorite games so far?

Top Bottom