• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR sold out within 5 minutes (UK and German amazon store)

oggob

The more I think about this the more farcical it feels. Sony just want some mind share when Oculus and Vive are launching. They're a long way off but don't want the public to see it that way. Sony have no clue how many they can produce for launch. This token batch of pre-orders is nothing more than a cheap attempt to grab some headlines and stop Sony being forgotten.

Or like any business, want to gauge the interest of their consumers about the new product that they are going to release in 6 months time, find out how many people are willing to pre-order it and logically get a forecasted number of units they actually need to manufacture.

Or do you feel that should make 10 million straight up and hope there are 10million people that want to buy into it?

crimilde

Banned
The more I think about this the more farcical it feels. Sony just want some mind share when Oculus and Vive are launching. They're a long way off but don't want the public to see it that way. Sony have no clue how many they can produce for launch. This token batch of pre-orders is nothing more than a cheap attempt to grab some headlines and stop Sony being forgotten.

Lol. Good one.

KORNdoggy

speaking of forgotten. that's a nice dreamcast/wii-u avatar you got there :p

Or like any business, want to gauge the interest of their consumers about the new product that they are going to release in 6 months time, find out how many people are willing to pre-order it and logically get a forecasted number of units they actually need to manufacture.

Or do you feel that should make 10 million straight up and hope there are 10million people that want to buy into it?
But it's pretty difficult to gauge genuine interest based on pre-orders which can be cancelled in the next six months and scalpers, especially when the pre-orders are like 10am in one part of the world and 4pm in other parts of the world. I would guess Sony arrived at the $399 figure based on a cost analysis of a minimum production quantity. And that yesterday's pre-orders don't reflect that.

hohoXD123

The more I think about this the more farcical it feels. Sony just want some mind share when Oculus and Vive are launching. They're a long way off but don't want the public to see it that way. Sony have no clue how many they should produce for launch. This token batch of pre-orders is nothing more than a cheap attempt to grab some headlines and stop Sony being forgotten.

Fixed that for you, because you'd have to be insane if you think Sony is going to manufacture millions of units for launch on a new game accessory in a new market which hasn't even been proven to be financially viable yet. They're not releasing the next iPhone.

Raist

Banned

Yes, I'm sure a company like Sony has absolutely no clue on hardware production estimates.

karma2578

I was skeptical about VR but every persons experience I've read sounds similar. They go in skeptical and after they are believers

UrbanRats

Saying that it "also requires a PS4" is not really the best way to explain it. This is a PS4-branded accessory -- nobody is going to think it is its own platform.

I think you'd be hard pressed to name another accessory/peripheral that required the purchase of a 2nd accessory/peripheral just to work out of the box. Even "batteries not included" seems to largely be a thing of the past.

It's absolutely not the same thing, you're right, however my point is, you can't just buy that and be done with it.
At the very least you need a PS4, meaning you have to do some research into what is needed.
And as long as they make it VERY clear, on the Box, that you absolutely need a camera, that's the best they can do, along with offering bundles including the camera, for those that don't have it.

Again, you can't pack in a camera, when millions of people already own one.

It is a bit sneaky to claim that price when the camera is absolutely needed though, not completely dishonest, but a bit sneaky.

border

Again, you can't pack in a camera, when millions of people already own one.

Of course you can pack in a camera. Many products come with accessories that the buyer already owns and doesn't really need -- headphones, video cables, USB cables, batteries, controllers. Nobody willing to spend $400 on a VR headset is really going to be dissuaded from buying because they wind up with a second camera.

I'm not sure why people think a disclaimer on the box is really going to help things. Who's really reading the box these days? Certainly not the millions who buy products online.

ethomaz

Banned
GAME UK.

https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710083399332007937
https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710084710198861824

The first tweet looks to be removed but it said...

@iMahfoudh We've been told 6000 & at 9am this morning 3k had been ordered online overnight
— GAME LiverpoolStJohn (@GAMEStJohns) March 16, 2016

6000 units for launch? Thats not much at all

This thing is deffo selling out. When I worked for game there were around 350 stores. Some got culled. So I would imagine that each store will only get a handful based on Pre orders and website orders

My Pre order should be safe for day one :D

Hasney

GAME UK.

https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710083399332007937
https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710084710198861824

The first tweet looks to be removed but it said...

@iMahfoudh We've been told 6000 & at 9am this morning 3k had been ordered online overnight
— GAME LiverpoolStJohn (@GAMEStJohns) March 16, 2016

Sounds about right for them being conservative. So I'm guessing Amazon probably got around the same, then Zavvi/ShopTo probably less. Not sure anywhere else that is doing pre orders.

Second shipment orders have begun, so I wonder how big that is going to be. Before Christmas according to MightyApe at least.

I have a few questions.

Will the visuals be on par with the PS4 or more akin to handhelds?
And will the games be deep on the level of current AAA titles or will they have to be pared back considerably given the tentative nature of this unproven format? To make my point, handhelds can never match the depth of their console brethren. An Uncharted Vita title will never have the depth and expansiveness of an Uncharted title on the PS3. I'm curious if we'll truly see a Far Cry title making it onto the PSVR. And one that's on par with a standard edition.

Fisty

I have a few questions.

And will the games be deep on the level of current AAA titles or will they have to be pared back considerably given the tentative nature of this unproven format? To make my point, handhelds can never match the depth of their console brethren. An Uncharted Vita title will never have the depth and expansiveness of an Uncharted title on the PS3. I'm curious if we'll truly see a Far Cry title making it onto the PSVR. And one that's on par with a standard edition.

I had some hands on time with London Heist and I would say it looks like a really nice PS3 image. Obviously that doesnt account for the amazing things VR brings to it though, like great 3D, scale, and presence.

Job Simulator was about on the level of Octodad, where obviously things look a bit cartoony but you still get presence anyway. IQ doesnt have to be the best for it to still look amazing

I had some hands on time with London Heist and I would say it looks like a really nice PS3 image. Obviously that doesnt account for the amazing things VR brings to it though, like great 3D, scale, and presence.

Job Simulator was about on the level of Octodad, where obviously things look a bit cartoony but you still get presence anyway. IQ doesnt have to be the best for it to still look amazing

Okay. But is it possible that this VR generation could deliver games like Far Cry 5 or Uncharted 5 in tandem with the regular console versions? When I think of VR, I think of the Lawnmower Man. And if the handhelds are of any frame of reference, then I have reservations that the specs won't be able to match up with PSVR's lofty ambitions. It's cool that Vita players have gotten God of War and Metal Gear Solid, but I'm under no illusion that those games are on par with their console counterparts.

I have a few questions.

At the very least, I don't think early vr exclusive games budget will touch the budget of traditional AAA games. Although some AAA games will try to support VR in some ways like GT Sports and Ace Combat 7 having VR support.

We are now less than a month away from PSVR's launch in October. Pre-orders startet almost 6 months ago in Germany on amazon.de.

And amazon.de still wasn't able to specify a delivery date for those who pre-ordered their kit within the first minutes of march 16th...

tumblr_mzg0tiGmBt1ra3xlqo1_500.gif

Top Bottom