• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 8 million copies sold and 700K concurrent users

SuperSah

Banned
Switch pls

But seriously, excellent work. The game looks really damned fun, I love the battle royale type stuff!

Yay? This sale news are getting boring tbh.
image.php

Trickster

At this point I simply can't understand why there aren't aaa version of these battle royale games. Really, I don't understand why there aren't big budget version for any of the genres you always see on steam early access selling ridiculous amounts of copes

Trace

Banned
Or maybe, just maybe, there is no point in having what is basically the same thread each time this game sells another million. Other games don't get this luxury. So, I ask, why this game?

Because this game is an anomaly in a sea of unfinished AAA products.

MUnited83

For you.
Or maybe, just maybe, there is no point in having what is basically the same thread each time this game sells another million. Other games don't get this luxury. So, I ask, why this game?

Every game gets that luxury. Get off your ass and make those threads yourself.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Feel like literally every week we get a thread about this game selling a million more copies lol. Devs put in that work.

Hektor

Other games also don't set a new record every month

because most games don't sell a million every two weeks? GTA does but RockStar doesn't give out those numbers often, but when they do there are threads about it.

most games sell 90% of their lifetime sales on release. no one cares what Nier sold 3 months after it came out because it's probably like 1000 copies.

Also combined with the sales data is the player count number as both rise simultaneously. PUBG is about to surpass CSGO for 2nd peak players and within reach of passing Dota, which it will if it continues at the current rate.

LotusHD

Banned
because most games don't sell a million every two weeks? GTA does but RockStar doesn't give out those numbers often, but when they do there are threads about it.

most games sell 90% of their lifetime sales on release. no one cares what Nier sold 3 months after it came out because it's probably like 1000 copies.

Err, poor example lol

Aters

Three month after release Nier sold 2k copies every week in Japan.

JDB

Banned
if this was another weeb game yall would be all over it

fuzaco

I don't really care about the game
because I suck at it
, but I hope the thread will be as great as the last one.

Edit: Oh, it's started already. Nice.

Tovarisc

At this point I simply can't understand why there aren't aaa version of these battle royale games. Really, I don't understand why there aren't big budget version for any of the genres you always see on steam early access selling ridiculous amounts of copes

Surprised if we don't see at least one AAA copy in E3 2018 with simplified mechanics like easier gunplay.

MaximL

Because this is the first truely successful one that seems to be mainstream accepted, so you bet there are publishers now gagging for there own. No way would any AAA pub/Dev made a game like this without seeing the receipts. Imagine trying to focus test PUBG.

Durante

Because the AAA machinery is incredibly sluggish in adapting to entirely new types of gameplay.

That's why basically all new "phenomenon" games - and entire (sub-)genres - are invented on PC.

Generally, the order of how agile a way to implement a new gameplay idea is goes like this:
[1] Mods
[2] Small-scale indie games
[3] "A"-tier games (by established publishers or larger independent devs)
[4] "AAA" tier big publisher focus testing
hell

This applies pretty broadly tomost things you'd call new "genres" in the past decade+. Tower defense and MOBAs from SC/WC3 user-created maps (an instance of [1]), survival games and now battle royale games from ARMA mods ([1] again), building-type games from Minecraft (or its more obscure predecessors, anyway it's [2]).

These new "inventions" then usually move up the ladder, but it always seems to take quite a long time in all these instances.

Grassy

So, are we gonna make a new thread every time this game sells another million?

You're questioning what a moderator deems thread worthy. If it upsets you that much then feel free to not post in these threads.

So they sold like another million in two weeks? Holy crap this game is a Juggernaut.

The "PUBG 7 million sold" thread was posted 5 days ago, insane.

Surprised if we don't see at least one AAA copy in E3 2018 with simplified mechanics like easier gunplay.

I'm guessing most pre-exisiting multiplayer shooter IP's will start including Battle Royale-inspired modes too. It would be very interesting to see a full-blown AAA take on Battle Royale though.

What is it about this game (and it's success) that gets so much ire from people?

If I have to harbor a guess

-The usual people that don't enjoy something popular, and rather than acknowledge it's not for them decide that it's bad, or somehow undeserving of its success

-Console only players annoyed they can't play it

-PS4 only players even more annoyed they won't be able to play it but Xbox users will

So really there's probably lots of reasons

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The average modern AAA game takes 3-4+ years to developers.

Amazon announced one around this time last year, and Ubisoft has been pretty clear they intend to add a mode like this to The Division, but the earliest I could imagine seeing either of those in any kind of release is this Fall.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

My wife and I play the pve battle royale survival mode in the Division almost exclusively. Amazing fun

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The average modern AAA game takes 3-4+ years to developers.

Amazon announced one around this time last year, and Ubisoft has been pretty clear they intend to add a mode like this to The Division, but the earliest I could imagine seeing either of those in any kind of release is this Fall.

I've been playing survival mode in the Division for the last 6 months.

I learned about PUBG afterwards and I have been waiting for a console port ever since. I love to watch duo matches on YouTube and I can't wait to "Jump In" when I get a couple of Xbox One Xs for my wife and I in November.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- It's not a AAA single player narrative game

I would guess this is the biggest one.

This is seen as some weird PC multiplayer game that's going to outsell Zelda, Horizon, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Uncharted 4, and even some major singleplayer hits of yesteryear like The Witcher 3.

I would guess this is the biggest one.

This is seen as some weird PC multiplayer game that's going to outsell Zelda, Horizon, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Uncharted 4, and even some major singleplayer hits of yesteryear like The Witcher 3.
Though I certainly think PUBG is a contender for GOTY I'd avoid going too far down the 'sales = quality' route. I know what you're saying, that it's abundantly clear that the game resonates with a lot of people and is extremely popular, I just don't want that drowned out by someone focusing on how it was said in some dramatic fashion.

Afrodium

Banned
All this hubbub about this game has me ready to buy it on Xbox and I don't even know what the hell it is! Anybody?

Land on a big island with 100 other players starting with nothing. Scavenge for gear and fight to be the last person/squad alive. No respawns. A circle denoting the zone of play gets smaller as the game progresses, pushing the players closer together until one player/squad is left. Then they eat some chicken.

Top Bottom