• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 8 million copies sold and 700K concurrent users

I can buy it for a little over $20 on GMG currently but from what I saw of it a while back... I don't really get it, like okay I do but at the same time I must have missed why it's gotten so popular. From what I've seen and I know it's still in Early Access but it looks kinda shit.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
C'mon GAF be your usual self and somehow discredit those figures and claim that PC gaming is dying. We are 2 pages in this thread already.

Well I know your PC must not be capable of running PUBG if you can't even have post counts set to 100.

/sick burn

kewlmyc

Add me to that list. Got it yesterday. Game is surprisingly fun with friends. Can't imagine playing this by myself.

C'mon GAF be your usual self and somehow discredit those figures and claim that PC gaming is dying. We are 2 pages in this thread already.

There is more space taken up by posts such as yours pre-defending things that haven't been said in the thread yet. Cool your jets.

That aside, congrats on their success.

bounchfx

absolutely insane. i'm a broken record but I really hope they use the funds to improve the game. seems like they're doing a solid job so far, but there's a looooooong way to go. good for them.

People are salty about this game being successful? Why?

Also, well-deserved. This game is great. I can see it making a killing when it hits consoles, too.

The ๖ۜBronx;246573966 said:
Though I certainly think PUBG is a contender for GOTY I'd avoid going too far down the 'sales = quality' route. I know what you're saying, that it's abundantly clear that the game resonates with a lot of people and is extremely popular, I just don't want that drowned out by someone focusing on how it was said in some dramatic fashion.

Nothing in that post suggested sales = quality. It was a simple explanation of why the game is getting backlash on gaf.

MoonFrog

Hmmm finally read up on what it actually is, sounds like a cool idea.

It is a moment to stop and appreciate how big the gaming scene is in places I haven't ever even gone despite gaming a lot. (In this case, I'm poorly versed in competitive online games in general and also emergent genres in general).

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm sorry GAF but this game can't be anything but utterly shit on a stick because clearly Early Access = Shit on a Stick©® and it will never ever ever come out and something about performance and crates.

TZxu3EE.png

Nothing will compete with this game. Even my friends mentioned last night that this is the first game in awhile that we have all stuck around on and not given up after a week of playing.

absolutely insane. i'm a broken record but I really hope they use the funds to improve the game. seems like they're doing a solid job so far, but there's a looooooong way to go. good for them.

Outside of new maps they've teased, the vaulting update and eventually more guns there isn't really much else to be added. Performance will always be a priority no matter whether early access or full release and with the mechanics being fairly solid already I'm expecting smaller improvements as the bigger stuff gets added in. They have mentioned mods eventually as well so I can see that being the next avenue for the game's continued life cycle in keeping it "fresh" though.

I can buy it for a little over $20 on GMG currently but from what I saw of it a while back... I don't really get it, like okay I do but at the same time I must have missed why it's gotten so popular. From what I've seen and I know it's still in Early Access but it looks kinda shit.

It is literally Battle Royale the Game. 100 people in a match, land naked, gather gear, survive. The end.

Sentenza

Eh, being in early access doesn't really make it any less fun to play.

And while isn't the most shiny game in terms of production value, I think it looks more than decent enough, frankly.

Orayn

Really amazing sales. I've only put in a few hours myself, but it's very easy to understand why people love it and why it's moved so many copies.

I propose we actually make threads for even more milestones to continually annoy the people who are most bothered by the game's success.

Qassim

What is it about this game (and it's success) that gets so much ire from people?

This place, despite being supposedly an enthusiast forum, is super mainstream. I don't use that in a derogatory way - but it's the total opposite of what enthusiast forums usually are.

Enthusiast forums are usually the ones championing underground, indie stuff (not just talking about games, here). Grassroots success stories like this are supposed to be fuelled in part by forums like NeoGAF.

But in large part due to the phobia many on here seem to have for anything that doesn't fit the mould of their standard, AA-AAA single player focused console games. What they grew up with, the games that they never had to seek out - the ones that were advertised to them in magazines, on TV and appeared prominently on store shelves, NeoGAF doesn't feel like the place that has any real part in the success of these types of games.

It feels like the loudest crowd on here is ultra conservative when it comes to games, and PUBG is just another one of those online focused games that the industry is trending towards. To them this stuff is inexplicably popular. Just look at the GOTY threads a few weeks back regarding this game, a reasonable amount of people just couldn't conceive of the idea that a game like this could be considered 'GOTY'.

Some people over here are hostile or at least dismissive of this game for the same reason they're dismissive to many games that aren't AA-AAA single player focused games.

Cytezan

I can see why it gets some flak. It's an early access game and it still has a bit of jank.

Most people can look past this though and enjoy the game for what it is (and what it will become later of course) and others will be put off by it.

Also, some people may just not like this style of game - it can be rage inducing to spend time gathering items/weapons to then die to someone who you had no time to react to.

That's what some people love about the game though. Personally, I enjoy it, but I can see why it could turn others off.

Not everyone needs to love the same thing as everyone else...

HowZatOZ

Banned
This place, despite being supposedly an enthusiast forum, is super mainstream. I don't use that in a derogatory way - but it's the total opposite of what enthusiast forums usually are.

Enthusiast forums are usually the ones championing underground, indie stuff (not just talking about games, here). Grassroots success stories like this are supposed to be fuelled in part by forums like NeoGAF.

But in large part due to the phobia many on here seem to have for anything that doesn't fit the mould of their standard, AA-AAA single player focused console games. What they grew up with, the games that they never had to seek out - the ones that were advertised to them in magazines, on TV and appeared prominently on store shelves, NeoGAF doesn't feel like the place that has any real part in the success of these types of games.

It feels like the loudest crowd on here is ultra conservative when it comes to games, and PUBG is just another one of those online focused games that the industry is trending towards. To them this stuff is inexplicably popular. Just look at the GOTY threads a few weeks back regarding this game, a reasonable amount of people just couldn't conceive of the idea that a game like this could be considered 'GOTY'.

Some people over here are hostile or at least dismissive of this game for the same reason they're dismissive to many games that aren't AA-AAA single player focused games.

What are you even talking about? If you look beyond the usual tripe that any ol' forum has you'll find tons of threads on "underground" indies and the championing of the underdog. No doubt if you keep to just the mainstream threads you'll think that's all GAF is about but it is in no way a complete representation of the boards tastes.

PUBG is definitely online-focused because it has to be? The concept can't work in a single-player mindset because it just wouldn't be fun with AI and you would definitely not have the interactivity that it currently has on each round. I can definitely see why some are having a hard time understanding why PUBG has become so popular but it really is in large part the very simple gameplay loop. You drop, you loot, you win or lose. I can compete in 10 rounds and each round will 100% be totally different despite me dropping at the exact same location because that's the beauty of the game's simple loop playstyle.

Grassy

People are salty about this game being successful? Why?

Also, well-deserved. This game is great. I can see it making a killing when it hits consoles, too.

Tall poppy syndrome/begrudgery. It seems like plenty of people on this forum are super-salty that this Early Access PC game is being labelled a GOTY contender and is blowing all the console exclusives out of the water sales-wise this year.

Qassim

What are you even talking about? If you look beyond the usual tripe that any ol' forum has you'll find tons of threads on "underground" indies and the championing of the underdog. No doubt if you keep to just the mainstream threads you'll think that's all GAF is about but it is in no way a complete representation of the boards tastes.

PUBG is definitely online-focused because it has to be? The concept can't work in a single-player mindset because it just wouldn't be fun with AI and you would definitely not have the interactivity that it currently has on each round. I can definitely see why some are having a hard time understanding why PUBG has become so popular but it really is in large part the very simple gameplay loop. You drop, you loot, you win or lose. I can compete in 10 rounds and each round will 100% be totally different despite me dropping at the exact same location because that's the beauty of the game's simple loop playstyle.

The point is over and under-representation, not once was an argument made that those things don't exist on here, indie/enthusiast stuff does exist in very large numbers here. My argument is that among the general community, the general threads which invite people across different interests - a certain type of quite conservative gamer is weirdly over-represented here given the supposed enthusiast focus of a community like this.

As for the second paragraph, I'm not sure if that's a response to what I said - I'm guessing not because I can't find any relevance, but if it is - I'm not ignoring it.

Usobuko

Banned
My personal feeling of its quality aside, I love the fact that we are witnessing a part of the "social media" effect where you have big youtubers and streamers promoting this game whenever they played it. I do want to see how far this product can go when it hits all platforms.

Ok Tencent, seems like your investment was actually a bargain now.

Usobuko

Banned
Do we really need a thread every time it's announced this game has gotten more players?

The rate of sales and engagement level is kinda unprecedented in this stage of the product life.

Besides, there's plenty of relatively niche games that have their own threads when they hit a certain sales milestone or when companies release their sales figures for quarter reports.

People incessantly complaining about a random or even hypothetical shit post against PUBG are what’s filling these threads, more than anything.

Vice

Do we really need a thread every time it's announced this game has gotten more players?
It's the biggest new IP of the year and it isn't even out of early access. It's success is very interesting and it's on its way to being the most popular game in the largest PC gaming client.

valeo

Absolutely nailed it.

Herodotus

You are totally right.

Mooreberg

There is an equally loud crowd that assumes anyone who isn't in love with it has never played it and never plays online games. There are a lot of bizarre conspiracy theories in every direction.

RobertM

I think you're forgetting that majority of people on here are exclusively console gamers so yeah, a lot of the PC games might not get the same amount of attention.
I am not a PC gamer anymore and I jumped on the PUBG bandwagon. It has a lot of buzz online, a lot of funny videos, and it's fairly addictive. Is it a complete game? No, is it a polished game? No, and in my eyes that's why it might lose some edge when it comes to other games who have genuinely a great campaign/story and a fun multiplayer to boot, not to mention polished and mostly bug free. I really don't how many hours I'm going to put into PUPG, but in the current form I feel like I won't be able to give as much attention as I give other games.

Mooreberg

But the phenomenon Qassim is describing exists for a bunch of popular online games, not just PUBG.
It works both ways every time. If you have played 50 hours of Overwatch and it wasn't your GOTY last year, it is apparently because... you have never played Overwatch? Or four dozen hours isn't enough to "get" it? Its amazing that in such a packed category of games that it isn't even remotely possible that people like other games better.

I used to think the pearl clutching JRPG obsessives or Nintendo diehards could not be matched, but the emerging "LOL you don't even understand this game crowd" is taking the cake. I guess it was already there with the Souls games, but I have never kept up with those games enough to wade into the sludge.

I used to think the pearl clutching JRPG obsessives or Nintendo diehards could not be matched, but the emerging "LOL you don't even understand this game crowd" is taking the cake. I guess it was already there with the Souls games, but I have never kept up with those games enough to wade into the sludge.

But how many so called PUBG 'elites' go into other threads to shit on other games? Would you call the Star Citizen concern trolling just as valid as well? Or MOBA and mobile dismissal?

Hektor

There is an equally loud crowd that assumes anyone who isn't in love with it has never played it and never plays online games. There are a lot of bizarre conspiracy theories in every direction.

Past PUBG threads had very factually a high quantity of people shit talking the game without having played it.

That's not a conspiracy

Usobuko

Banned
Who cares? What stock do you have in XOX's success?

Exclusives are terrible.

Well, I do care about the impact.

In the game industry, you often have games that appear out of nowhere and take the world by storm once in a while.

20 years ago it's Pokemon. In recent times, it's League of Legend, Clash of Clan, Minecraft etc.

I always find it interesting to follow their run to be cultural phenomenons.

Top Bottom