• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin warns of global catastrophe, calls Trump NK reaction "ridiculous"

Putin once again openly mocked US president Trump and his and his staff's handling of the North Korean crisis today during a meeting of the BRICS states in China:

"Russia condemns North Korea's exercises, we consider that they are a provocation ... (But) ramping up military hysteria will lead to nothing good. It could lead to a global catastrophe," he told reporters.

He said it was “ridiculous” that the US first slapped Russia with sanctions carried in the same bill that penalised North Korea, and “then asked us to help impose sanctions on North Korea."

"This is being done by people who mix up Australia with Austria," he added.

Apparently, North Korea isn't the only one calling Trump's bluff.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...t/news-story/7e8616ad749c66b2ab3103120143ab71

https://www.google.de/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1BG0OG

Maedre

Banned
yeah. he is kinda right.

Trump is such a bad politican its unbelievable. You could put a pebble into office and it would be better.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He said it was “ridiculous” that the US first slapped Russia with sanctions carried in the same bill that penalised North Korea, and “then asked us to help impose sanctions on North Korea."

Well, when you put it like that...

I wouldn't be the one to question Trump's bluff. He feels like the kind of guy who would do it because you correctly called his bluff.

Chuckie

"Russia condemns North Korea's exercises, we consider that they are a provocation ... (But) ramping up military hysteria will lead to nothing good. It could lead to a global catastrophe," he told reporters.

I agree, but on the other hand, how far can you let NK go with these tests?

Lol, that is indeed ridiculous.

"This is being done by people who mix up Australia with Austria," he added.

Burn.

Savitar

Has Putin turned on Trump now?

Trump's a useful idiot, Putin's only looking after Putin, which means he alternates between massaging the guy's ego when he wants something, and making him look like a fool when he wants to look strong. And Trump will play into that every damn time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
When Putin can come across as a voice of reason on the world stage, you know you're down the rabbid hole

This was probably one of his goals from the start if we're honest. Have US elect someone inept, come out as the voice of reason, more countries begin relying on Russia for intl. diplomacy, Russian influence spreads.

cameron

Donald to praise Putin on twitter. For the glory of Putin!

Either that or complete silence by hiding behind Rex Tillerson.

When Putin can come across as a voice of reason on the world stage, you know you're down the rabbid hole

This is why he had Trump elected: it increases Russia's chances as being viewed as a rational actor with fence sitters, increasing Putin's overall standing relative to that of the US. Plus, Trump and his GOP cronies will lift the Russian sanctions.

Xando

Russia condemns North Korea's exercises, we consider that they are a provocation ... (But) ramping up military hysteria will lead to nothing good. It could lead to a global catastrophe," he told reporters.
I mean he’s not wrong

For those of you jumping on putin like he is an idiot who's plan had backfired, you do realise that this is exactly what putin wants?

He effectively gets to be one of the sensible leaders of the super powers by pointing out how stupid and dangerous trumps actions are, making America look weak. He couldn't be happier.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am legit wondering if Putin just doesn't see Trump as useful anymore. Congress has basically denied him any chance of Trump waving away Sanctions so maybe this "fuck him" is real.

Respect

24d4caf9-7b07-431d-b276-f6f3fa171a0d_screenshot.jpg

Though this is probably what Putin wanted all along.

cromofo

For those of you jumping on putin like he is an idiot who's plan had backfired, you do realise that this is exactly what putin wants?

He effectively gets to be one of the sensible leaders of the super powers by pointing out how stupid and dangerous trumps actions are, making America look weak. He couldn't be happier.

Exactly.

Trump is not a Russian puppet as much as he's an idiot who'll regress the US on a global stage.

Exactly what Putin wanted.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Except no one trusts him, the sanctions have been doubled down, and if the investigation does lead to a trial his (and his friends) international business and political ties will all come under global scrutiny.

Fuck his reputation he wanted those Sanctions ended its costing him billions and making his position in Russia a lot more shakey. Trump being bad at everything is just a sugar topping on a shit cake.

SilentRob

It's so weird having to agree with Putin on anything, let alone seeing them as the calming, de-escalating power. But I feel like basically everyone right now - Germany, Switzerland, Russia, China is busy just calmly walking around Trump, slowly talking to him, hoping he doesn't press the big red button because he's in a bad mood because he heard that CNN was mean to him.

Like, Putin is a dangerous fascist who will cling to power no matter what, but he will not just start WW3 and kill everyone. Because he is not a fucking moron. I'm not so sure with Trump because he will never look further than his narcissistic idiocy allows him to.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia helped NK with their nuclear program to put pressure on America but damn those quotes are scathing.

groansey

Join the dots between fake news, the stirring of the far right, Brexit, Trump, NK - it's all part of Russia's plan to destabilise the West in response to sanctions against it and the 'Star Wars' missile defence system, which Putin considers an escalation of the nuclear arms race.

Russia and Putin are not the good guys here, but they have played the West like a fiddle.

a.wd

Putin won.

Putin Keep Winning.

He is actually criticising the US and he has an actual point!

He has diminished the US standing around the world, and it will take decades and back to back Obama level leaderships and the complete removal of special interests to resolve it.

Every step in the plan to destroy US credibility on the world stage is being hit. Sad times. The angry and fearful people in our country are helping this to go so smoothly.

Engell

Putin playing 5D chess, Trump playing ... well himself

Putin's words are funny when it is him who delivered all the hardware/knowledge to NK

Horp

USA shouldn't be doing military actions, thats correct. Will only lead to death of innocent people.
But Putin can just shut the fuck up. He's not helping either and the shit they pulled with ukraine is so much more rediculous than whatever US will do with NK.

13ruce

Banned
Trump is nothing more then a complete fucking idiot. Putin must have done the cossack dance (that squat leg dance) all day when Trump won.

I remember when i laughed about Metal Gear Rising (Senator Armstrong).... But America truly has a crazy guy like that as President now.

I don't agree with Putin alot but in this case he certainly is right. It's funny how America the biggest nation of the world is slowly destroying their reputation etc themselves or well the people who voted for Trump. And ofcourse Trump himself and his GOP friends actions.

I feel bad for the legit good peeps in USA right now i find the daily Trump news hell already and i'm from EU.

That said Putin ain't a sweetheart aswell he is just as crazy just smarter. Both guys are crazy AF.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There's nothing anyone can do about North Korea now. The only options are war or China choking them to death which isn't gonna happen. Once they improve their ICBM capabilities, war isn't an option either. North Korea is the fly that got away.

Also, Putin can piss off. Return Crimea or shut up.

gun_haver

Has Putin turned on Trump now?

he's trying to play us

never forget this man is a scam artist

oh he sounds right at this particular moment? of course he does, he's a scammer and says what you want to hear or don't want to hear depending on the advantage of the moment. he's trying to bleed off support for the west with everything he does, so just settle down and regard him with the appropriate suspicion.

Putin's master-plan to discredit America, destablise internal politics and take a bigger role as a world leader was working perfectly until he underestimated how fucking dumb Trump is.

I wonder if he does/will regret it eventually.

If allegations of election tampering are true.

Top Bottom