• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin warns of global catastrophe, calls Trump NK reaction "ridiculous"

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Putin is putting his countries own interests before anything else as any leader should .. having said that
I'd imagine further sanctions involving oil would hurt Russia as they would be losing $$ .. could be wrong here but couldn't another country step in to make up that lost revenue?
I also read that China can't stop sending oil because if they turn off the spigot, the pipeline will erode without being used

US is really in a bind here but I think Trump (rather Mattis I think bc Trump is relying on the generals here) is heading in the right direction by further arming South Korea and Japan .. I don't think China/Russia will like that too much and it may force their hand

At first I kind of agreed with Putin about further sanctions not being able to do much but now that I think about it, we won't know unless we try and it's all about forcing the people in NK to uprise

Exactly.

They wanted to weaken America and they succeeded.

Dipshit Trump supporters will realize this sooner or later.

Not a chance. These are entirely morally bankrupt and intellectually broken people who are fully conditioned to reject any information that isn't from an approved spin source.

As a Latino who talks a lot about equity, people ask me if I want Julian Castro to run in 2020. Frankly, I don't want any people of color (PoC) to be POTUS directly after Trump.

Let Biden be a one-termer first. He can spend 4 years rebuilding civil service and maybe Congress wont be as hostile towards him in that process because he is white. In the meantime, he can be a steady hand rebuilding diplomatic relations, e.g., appointing people that know the differencr between Austria and Australia.

ISOM

Lots of posters on Gaf were ramping up war hysteria in the Japan thread the day of the missile fly over. trump isn't the only one but he's the most dangerous.

mnannola

Trump is like that newbie at the poker table that everyone universally hates because it's impossible to apply reason to any of their decisions.

Budi

"This is being done by people who mix up Australia with Austria," he added.
1485.gif

jelly

Lol, what a burn.

Putin may not get all his money but his other goal is making America look weak, stupid, ruin relations is right on track and if the US attacks NK then that that just puts the world in a different place that allows Russia, China to shape things while US and allies scramble.

chekhonte

Let's not forget that Putin is a wretched pile of shit even if he has more political sense than our current president.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
While it's strange to ask Russia's support afterwards with the North Korean ones, it's ridiculous that Putin is shocked he's getting hit with sanctions.

His regime is directly responsible for every single one of these frozen conflicts except the one in Azeribaijan:

fsu-frozen-conflicts_20140905_624.gif

WaterAstro

Well Putin is an ally of NK under the table. The slave labour that North Korea is allowed to perform inside Russia for Russian money is what funds North Korea.

If Putin wants to help stop this issue, he would deport all North Koreans from Russia immediately to stop NK from getting any funding.

Not sure what Putin would have expected otherwise from his puppet. I guess the risk was low enough in his mind to take for the reward?

Exactly.

Trump is not a Russian puppet as much as he's an idiot who'll regress the US on a global stage.

Exactly what Putin wanted.

Well russia is buying corporations here and using them to take over the US from inside.

not to mention Donald trump launders money for them soooo

gun_haver

Not sure what Putin would have expected otherwise from his puppet. I guess the risk was low enough in his mind to take for the reward?

i think the misundedstanding you have, and quite a lot of people have to be fair, is that this is not what putin wanted. it isn't that putin thought he could directly contol trump, or anything so direct as that, it's that trump being the president of the united states discredits america, it makes its position weaker in every way - as a moral authority, as an intellectual authority, as a leader in global policy - and this, by definition, makes russia look better. it gives him more leeway to do what he wants to do for the betterment of his and his cronies, it makes western liberal democracy look weak and like it leads to bad results. this is his success here, and there is no bones about it, he did succeed with this one. we don't yet know exactly HOW he interfered with the recent US election to engender this result, only that he did. the details will become more clear when muller gives his report.

but he did win this, yes. the smart thing to do at this point is not meme our way into another loss for democracy, or give him credit for 'being right' in a situation he has constructed where of course he's fucking right, but the smart thing to do is call him a piece of shit and give him no respect, because he doesn't deserve any. he's a crook.

trembli0s

Putin won.

Putin Keep Winning.

He is actually criticising the US and he has an actual point!

He has diminished the US standing around the world, and it will take decades and back to back Obama level leaderships and the complete removal of special interests to resolve it.

Did we miss the part of Obama's presidency where Putin invaded Ukraine under pretext, stole the Crimea away, had the Libya debacle blow up in our face, and then allowed the Syrian civil war to metastasize into a full-blown refugee crisis in Europe that led to Brexit?

Let's be real here. No one on the world stage has taken American foreign policy seriously since GWB invaded Iraq. The US has taken enough Ls to last a lifetime since that time.

It's all part of Putin's master plan to destroy America's image and role as a world leader, and it's working perfectly.

😂 @ the last burn. He's absolutely right, Trump and his people are fucking idiots.

Lesath

Yep, the fucking fact that people are looking to Russia as the voice of reason over the United States is precisely what Putin wants.

i think the misundedstanding you have, and quite a lot of people have to be fair, is that this is not what putin wanted. it isn't that putin thought he could directly contol trump, or anything so direct as that, it's that trump being the president of the united states discredits america, it makes its position weaker in every way - as a moral authority, as an intellectual authority, as a leader in global policy - and this, by definition, makes russia look better. it gives him more leeway to do what he wants to do for the betterment of his and his cronies, it makes western liberal democracy look weak and like it leads to bad results. this is his success here, and there is no bones about it, he did succeed with this one. we don't yet know exactly HOW he interfered with the recent US election to engender this result, only that he did. the details will become more clear when muller gives his report.

but he did win this, yes. the smart thing to do at this point is not meme our way into another loss for democracy, or give him credit for 'being right' in a situation he has constructed where of course he's fucking right, but the smart thing to do is call him a piece of shit and give him no respect, because he doesn't deserve any. he's a crook.

No misunderstanding on my end. I know all this and agree with most of what you said. I referred to Trump as a puppet because it's funny to insult him that way.

What I'm wondering is when Putin was carrying out his plan did he consider the risk that it could cause collateral damage as well.

ianpm31

Both China and Russia has interest in keeping the NK regime around. NK keeps US in-check from expanding in the Korean peninsula. If they fall a potential unified Korea could happen....Russia and most definitely China does not want that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Your work is done, Putin. Release the pee pee tape.

Lautaro

Schattenjäger;247952672 said:
Putin is putting his countries own interests before anything else as any leader should

Putin doesn't give a shit about his people. He just wants to get rid of the Magnitsky Act and other sanctions that stop him and other oligarchs from moving their billions.

Weakening the US is a way to increase his own political weight but I guess he didn't factor Trump's incompetence to avoid new sanctions and escalation of conflicts.

Top Bottom