• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

BizzyBum

How do I get better at this? I'm having trouble simply beating the Puyo battles at the end of the first story mode chapters.

Just practice and watch videos?

How do I get better at this? I'm having trouble simply beating the Puyo battles at the end of the first story mode chapters.

Just practice and watch videos?

Hard Drop all the time
Prioritise combos over keeping things neat and tidy
Make use of your 'hold' box
and in case you're having trouble with those battles where you need to get a certain amount of points before winning, try and get a Full Clear. It's easiest to get this within your first few drops so maybe keep spamming retry until the RNG lets you set one up. I have no idea how you;re supposed to get three stars without a Full Clear.

BizzyBum

Practice makes perfect. The tutorial videos in the game lessons section should help.

Yeah. I watched the videos on making chains and the stair and sandwich techniques but it's harder in practice. lol

I guess it just comes from playing over and over.

zigg

Getting a little better. 3-starred one of those points battles against a Tetris player by somehow triggering a 7-chain. I was building a 3 or a 4, got dumped, went into sorta-panic mode and managed to 3-chain through the garbage and somehow trigger the rest.

Maybe this has been answered before, but what is Suketoudara saying when you finish off multiple lines? My wife and I swear he says, "seven meats," but that makes no sense.

I am really hoping that is actually what he says and there is some ridiculous reason for it.
Well, that's it, I'm going with "seven meats" from now on

I feel like I've hit my ceiling with mission 4-4, 30 seconds to score points in puyo, I just can't do it, my mind can't wrap itself around comboing, I actually manage to GTR a little, but then it just falls apart.

DKL

Hard Drop all the time
Prioritise combos over keeping things neat and tidy

I feel like this is the actual important thing in this game... it's taking a lot of time to learn how to set these up, but then I'll eventually have to go off and learn how to play defense, which is completely alien to me right now and I mostly just go off of sound cues as to when I should be dropping the combo as opposed to... actively cock blocking the other player's combo.

BiggNife

Anyone got tips for getting three stars on 2-3? By the time I've made a decent combo I'm around 7000 point but the little kids end up dying and playing it piece by piece would take hours...
I'm having the exact same problem. Advice would be appreciated.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm playing endless big bang mode against the AI and I'm up to 17 wins. Does this ever get challenging? I'm getting bored but I've been playing so long now that I don't want to stop until I actually lose.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, fucking 400 SEK ($45) for the digital version here in Sweden. That just feels like a lot for a simple-ish puzzle game. It's it worth that much?

I mean, what the hell, $15 more than you guys get it for?! They're charging 50% more from us! I don't think I can do it, with MK out tomorrow and all.

Slythe

Girlfriend and I played the demo for about an hour last night. Definitely had fun, our first time with Puyo.

So my question is, is there really $30 of content here? We enjoyed the swap mode. Is this really a game you can put 50+ hours into (I heard someone say this). I never was big into Tetris but I also never realized how much strategy could go into it.

Girlfriend and I played the demo for about an hour last night. Definitely had fun, our first time with Puyo.

So my question is, is there really $30 of content here? We enjoyed the swap mode. Is this a game you can put 50+ hours into? I never was big into Tetris but I also never realized how much strategy could go into it.
Yes. $30 is a more than fair price. It's a steal.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Can someone help me with the adventure Fever stages? I don't understand how to get to 3 stars in those.

The key to Fever mode is to spot the trigger and set-off the entire chain in one piece drop.

Break down this screenshot:

fever1.png

Try to work "backwards" at first and determine which part of the chain is the end of the whole thing. In this case, it's the yellows on the far right. Those will only pop once the blues separating them have been popped. And the blues will only pop once the middle yellows have been popped. And those once the greens have been popped. And finally those once those 3 reds have been popped.

So, the reds have to be popped first. This will run through the whole chain as intended. By completing the entire chain, you increase the size of the next pre-set chain that you're given, and you need to keep clearing larger and larger chains in order to maximize your score. If you fail to complete a chain, then the next chain given to you will be smaller, which limits your score.

Also notice that since the piece I'm dropping in the above pic has a green puyo that will fall cleanly into the 2nd part of the chain, not only do I clear the whole pre-set, but I also clear every puyo on the board for an All Clear.

All Clears give you an additional bonus and makes the next pre-set even larger than it would normally be.

Another example. The blues are the trigger, and the attached green will be popped later without conflicting with any of the existing pieces.

And another. In time, you should be able to quickly identify the trigger for the chain without scanning the whole stack. Think of it like "spotting the 3 puyos that don't have a nearby matching puyo to pop them." You just have to identify and pop those puyos without screwing something else up.

Once the chains get large and the speed starts to increase, you may not have enough time to plan out all of your moves carefully and may just have to push some unusable pieces to the side. This is fine, as the chain can't be "broken" until something actually pops to start it. In this screenshot, I was able to determine that the blues on top were the trigger, but I did not have enough time to determine the proper position for my first piece (the reds). They probably should have been laid flat on the far-right in retrospect, but it's fine for me to push them over to the left where they won't get in the way of anything.

I set off the blues and let the whole chain pop.

The reds are still there left-over at the end, which means I won't get the All Clear, but a 14-chain is decent on its own.

The largest that the pre-sets ever get is 15-chain.

Once you're skilled at Fever, you can take it further by extending the pre-set chains for more points instead of popping them immediately. This can advance the upcoming pre-sets to the 15-chain limit much more quickly.

I'm playing endless big bang mode against the AI and I'm up to 17 wins. Does this ever get challenging? I'm getting bored but I've been playing so long now that I don't want to stop until I actually lose.

There's a button code that maximizes AI difficulty, but I forgot what it was. Something like holding L and/or R when selecting your AI opponent.

What about $45? That's what they want for the digital version here. Still worth it content-wise, or should I patiently wait for MK instead?
I'd recommend Mario Kart instead if they want $45 for digital.
Are you open to buying it from another regional eshop? It'd be much cheaper then.
I....didn't. I clicked on the game mode and pressed x until it started. I assumed it was a it just gets harder as it goes thing.
It might be! Can't remember right now. Check the settings next time you want to start a BB match. :)

Sixfortyfive

It might be! Can't remember right now. Check the settings next time you want to start a BB match. :)

There are no menu options for AI difficulty. AI strength varies by character, and there's a button code you can use to make them much more difficult.

I believe the Endurance modes give you a significantly stronger opponent every ~20th round or so, but I can't recall for sure.

So my question is, is there really $30 of content here? We enjoyed the swap mode. Is this really a game you can put 50+ hours into (I heard someone say this). I never was big into Tetris but I also never realized how much strategy could go into it.

I've probably put around that much time into the Japanese 3DS version. I usually don't judge games like this on "content" but on the overall experience. Budget per dollar something like Zelda is going to win out, but Puyo Puyo Tetris is the best version of Tetris we've ever had stateside and has very good production values and polish along with and an addictive online mode.

There are no menu options for AI difficulty. AI strength varies by character, and there's a button code you can use to make them much more difficult.

I believe the Endurance modes give you a significantly stronger opponent every ~20th round or so, but I can't recall for sure.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday - is there a list somewhere of each character's difficulty? Google has failed me.

I'm able to do some guessing, like the more "evil" characters who show up near the end of the story are more difficult, but I'd be interested in an actual list. If there's some sort of indicator in-game, I'm missing it.

Hwoar

I'm guessing there is not that much value if you're only interested in Tetris? Any good specific online competitive Tetris modes?

Kinsei

Banned
I was actually thinking about this yesterday - is there a list somewhere of each character's difficulty? Google has failed me.

I'm able to do some guessing, like the more "evil" characters who show up near the end of the story are more difficult, but I'd be interested in an actual list. If there's some sort of indicator in-game, I'm missing it.

I believe the character positions determine their difficulty. The higher they are on the character select screen the easier they are.

Sixfortyfive

IIRC, the characters at the bottom-center of the select screen are the toughest, and they get easier the further away on the screen that you get.

Pretty sure that Ex is the most difficult.

Neoweee

I think online play is awkward. Dumping all of the game modes into a single rating seems... bizarre?

Fusion & Swap both seem like pretty cool modes, but I'm not sure how Tetris vs. Puyo ends up being balanced. I'd imagine one is considered wildly better in high-end, 1v1 play?

Fireblend

Banned
The key to Fever mode is to spot the trigger and set-off the entire chain in one piece drop.

Break down this screenshot:

Try to work "backwards" at first and determine which part of the chain is the end of the whole thing. In this case, it's the yellows on the far right. Those will only pop once the blues separating them have been popped. And the blues will only pop once the middle yellows have been popped. And those once the greens have been popped. And finally those once those 3 reds have been popped.

So, the reds have to be popped first. This will run through the whole chain as intended. By completing the entire chain, you increase the size of the next pre-set chain that you're given, and you need to keep clearing larger and larger chains in order to maximize your score. If you fail to complete a chain, then the next chain given to you will be smaller, which limits your score.

Also notice that since the piece I'm dropping in the above pic has a green puyo that will fall cleanly into the 2nd part of the chain, not only do I clear the whole pre-set, but I also clear every puyo on the board for an All Clear.

All Clears give you an additional bonus and makes the next pre-set even larger than it would normally be.

Another example. The blues are the trigger, and the attached green will be popped later without conflicting with any of the existing pieces.

And another. In time, you should be able to quickly identify the trigger for the chain without scanning the whole stack. Think of it like "spotting the 3 puyos that don't have a nearby matching puyo to pop them." You just have to identify and pop those puyos without screwing something else up.

Once the chains get large and the speed starts to increase, you may not have enough time to plan out all of your moves carefully and may just have to push some unusable pieces to the side. This is fine, as the chain can't be "broken" until something actually pops to start it. In this screenshot, I was able to determine that the blues on top were the trigger, but I did not have enough time to determine the proper position for my first piece (the reds). They probably should have been laid flat on the far-right in retrospect, but it's fine for me to push them over to the left where they won't get in the way of anything.

I set off the blues and let the whole chain pop.

The reds are still there left-over at the end, which means I won't get the All Clear, but a 14-chain is decent on its own.

The largest that the pre-sets ever get is 15-chain.

Once you're skilled at Fever, you can take it further by extending the pre-set chains for more points instead of popping them immediately. This can advance the upcoming pre-sets to the 15-chain limit much more quickly.

There's a button code that maximizes AI difficulty, but I forgot what it was. Something like holding L and/or R when selecting your AI opponent.

Wow, thanks a ton! This was a really helpful post :)

Dachande

Jesus yes, especially as you have someone to play with. My boyfriend and I have easily spent 250+ hours on the Japanese PS4 version since I bought it two years ago, mostly playing just Swap mode with each other and barely touching the other modes. I'm getting it again on Switch just so we can play outside of the house as well.

mrk8885

Banned
Quick question:

For those who bought the Japan version of this game around launch...did it get updated to include English? I'd like to know for future reference. I was willing to buy early and play in Japanese for a while until the English came out...but not if I was going to be locked to Japanese forever.

With so many switch games having all the languages in a single version I'm hoping this is the case...

Durden77

Thanks to a certain amazing Gaffer, I've been able to get this game and it's just awesome. Perfect for my breaks at work. I'm suprised on how fun the story has been so far.

DKL

I think online play is awkward. Dumping all of the game modes into a single rating seems... bizarre?

Fusion & Swap both seem like pretty cool modes, but I'm not sure how Tetris vs. Puyo ends up being balanced. I'd imagine one is considered wildly better in high-end, 1v1 play?

I assume Tetris is top tier because of how garbage works, but you have to play really aggressive and accurately.

But I can't say for sure and all I know is that I've spent almost a week trying to overcome the Puyo matchup lol

muteki

Played it on switch for the first time and I kinda wish the play area was a little bigger. Must have been even worse on Vita.

Other than that I was pretty impressed with how well the arrow buttons feel.

DKL

I thought I was decent at Tetris until I started playing online last night.

This seems to be a common trend.

I think most people don't realize that there's like 20-30 years worth of battle meta that they probably have not experienced lol

mstevens

Is there a way to permanently activate quick drop for all puyo matches? Every time I start up an endless puyo game it's disabled.

KaYotiX

Banned

Easily

It's a game that will always be fun forever.

Stopdoor

Matchmaking is so messed, I'm a "Rank 5 Puzzlemaster" (it'd nice to know what that even means) in the "Elite" league but still get matched with whoever. Maybe because high rank people don't play Fusion mode? The "leagues" and "ranks" are both unexplained and don't even seem to do anything.

Fusion mode's also destroyed my Puyo instincts, haha, if I ever go back to plain Puyo I don't sweat when I accidentally set off a chain too early, thinking I can just drop another piece and keep the combo going, and then get disappointed.

bumpkin

4 player game online.

One person leaves for whatever reason.

Connection error.

That's some bullshit, now we're at the whim of leavers.
I have yet to finish one online battle yet. Played three and someone quit leading to a connection lost error every single time.

Top Bottom