• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Is there a trick to kill puyo players while playing tetris? Spamming tetris half the time stomps them silly and half the time just drags me into a very long, dull, match

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is there a trick to kill puyo players while playing tetris? Spamming tetris half the time stomps them silly and half the time just drags me into a very long, dull, match

Full screen clears. Also watch them trying to chain and drop junk to mess them up.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just played a round of Big Bang Puyo and had no clue what was going on the whole time lol. So many colors and things popping and want more? want more? want more?'s @_@

Deft Beck

Just played a round of Big Bang Puyo and had no clue what was going on the whole time lol. So many colors and things popping and want more? want more? want more?'s @_@

Clear as many sections as possible. Those are your attacks. If you do more than your opponent, they will get hurt.

fernoca

Bless the unlock all* cheat. So that peasants like me that enjoy this, but suck can still choose the additional characters and at our own pace, unlock the rest of the stuff.

*Only unlocks the adventure mode stuff.

Wallach

Fucking Amazon and putting it in an envelope and not a box.

Mine came in today and I was a little concerned about it myself when I saw that. Worked out okay for me but no way it did for everyone I imagine.

Not going to have much time for anything until the weekend but then its gonna be Switch overload between this, MK8 and BoI.

Got

Banned
Mine came in today and I was a little concerned about it myself when I saw that. Worked out okay for me but no way it did for everyone I imagine.

Not going to have much time for anything until the weekend but then its gonna be Switch overload between this, MK8 and BoI.

Yeah, sending it back for a replacement.

Persona7

Banned
For the first time Amazon sent me a fragile item in a box. I don't know why they bother with the envelopes they much take huge losses from damaged items each year. I don't know if the manufacturer will refund those items.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Clear as many sections as possible. Those are your attacks. If you do more than your opponent, they will get hurt.
Is there an indicator during the round which side is currently ahead? Its super strange having ta wait until the end of a round to see who's gonna take damage and how much. Played some more an one time I ended up dealing the tiniest sliver of damage to the opponent and the next they wiped me in one shot.

Cody_D165

Banned
currently rank 2 on the Michigan leaderboards(rofl) I'm coming for you, #1 slot

already have over 10 hours in this game.

I really need to step my game up and try to learn t-spin setups but I can't even begin to wrap my head around it.

blitz64

I hate T spins. I don't remember previous tetris game giving extra garbage for Tspins. when did this start happening?

I just want to do 4 line tetrises. I keep losing to the people who only do T-spins.

There are some alternate control schemes that de-emphasize the analog stick in various ways but none that are really satisfactory IMO.

10.png
11.png

12.png
13.png

14.png
15.png

16.png
17.png

18.png

I would have much preferred a slight alteration to the standard control scheme where both hard drop and soft drop were moved to the buttons and removed from the stick altogether. I really don't like any single-Joycon scheme.

They're probably unlocked somewhere in Adventure chapters 8 through 10.
Oh wow. None of those I see as optimal other than using two joycons, a pro controller or a dualshock 4.

Finally got around to trying all the different modes. Got smoked online lmao.

Big Bang mode is pretty helpful in showing what the Puyo chains are supposed to look like. (Still finding it tricky to set them up though.) Party mode with the items is also pretty awesome. Fusion mode is straight up wtf.

Overall, I think Swap mode's my favorite.

Also, my keychains came with the rings left with open spaces on them, basically asking for the chains to fall and snap off. Soldered the openings a bit, then slapped 'em on my backpack.

-shadow-

Will be downloading the game later today, shame that it's so expensive in Europe. I wanted to set my account to the US temporarily and just get it that way, but can't because I still have money left in the wallet and want to keep all my purchases on one account instead of spreading things out (I already had problems with Sony with that in the past). What time does the eShop update?

currently rank 2 on the Michigan leaderboards(rofl) I'm coming for you, #1 slot

already have over 10 hours in this game.

I really need to step my game up and try to learn t-spin setups but I can't even begin to wrap my head around it.
Michigan too, eh? Might be time for me to hop online and do some leader board climbing. ;P

Been watching a bunch of videos on this and seeing people post funny stuff on twitter. Think I'll pick it up later tomorrow. Didn't know about the Adventure mode, seems like a packed to the brim game and a pretty good price too. Looks like a better buy than mk8d.

Been watching a bunch of videos on this and seeing people post funny stuff on twitter. Think I'll pick it up later tomorrow. Didn't know about the Adventure mode, seems like a packed to the brim game and a pretty good price too. Looks like a better buy than mk8d.

I didn't think about it before, but its pretty nuts that we're getting two games packed with content so close to each other. MK8D has a crapton of stuff in it, particularly if you haven't bought MK8WiiU, and Puyo Tetris feels like it'll be replayable forever with all its modes and options.

weekev

Banned
Is it me or is the matchmaking online completely random? You get a game quick but one minute I was playing against folks around my rank and the next I was playing against professional ranks with double my ranking score.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Bought this as my first Switch game.

Man, either I'm rusty af at Tetris or I've always sucked but I just wasn't aware of that fact. I'm getting better though, just passed 100 lines in the Marathon mode!

Dumb question, but is there a way to do endless tetris while having it gradually speed up the way it was offered in TetrisDS? I really miss aiming for high tetris scores in that manner, but I'm not seeing that available in this game. Is it buried in the menu options somewhere?

Genio88

I was gonna buying it, but tomorrow MK8 Deluxe launchs, so no way i could play them both, still i liked the demo(especially the Japanese one) a lot, gonna buy it later when will be cheaper

El Odio

Banned
Man, 4-7(?), the one where it's Arle vs Rulue, is the first one to give me serious trouble when it comes to three staring it. There's no timer in standard vs. mode but I swear I've done swap matches much shorter than the 2min limit but here it just seems impossible.

blitz64

Dumb question, but is there a way to do endless tetris while having it gradually speed up the way it was offered in TetrisDS? I really miss aiming for high tetris scores in that manner, but I'm not seeing that available in this game. Is it buried in the menu options somewhere?

yes, at the very beginning of the menu before you pick anything else. Select "Tetris"

Playing the CPU last night I really felt myself improve with my approach towards combos and aggressive, fast play. However, try as I might, I cannot pull off T-spins. I wish there was a interactive tutorial. I get how they work but the mechanics of pulling them off are escaping me

DKL

Just shit out t-spin doubles and their life will be extremely difficult.

I actually can't do this fast enough to overcome 3-4 Puyo chains lol

Just been relying on long combos from fraudulently constructed 3-wide :v

(though I'm still only practicing against that one AI that tends to build long combos... need to start practicing how to look at the opponent soon)

But then, it's normally not enough to kill, so I need to work on having a t-spin or something useful set up right after, otherwise Puyo can make a comeback...

ZeroX03

Banned
Am I wrong or does this drain battery a little slower than 3D games?

What's the aye/naw on getting it on the US E-store if you're UK based?

My account is AUS based, but I just swapped region over to US, bought $30 eShop credit from Amazon and bought the game easily. Region switching has been a breeze so far. (e: you can get locked into a region if there's balance left over, so if in doubt, just make a second account on your system)

Jazzem

Man I really need to sit down and learn more Puyo combos, I can do a reasonable 4-5 stairs set alright but anything more complicated and I just panic when I don't get the colours I want!

Same with Tetris and T-spins, I've been decimated online by players who can churn those out constantly.

Playing the CPU last night I really felt myself improve with my approach towards combos and aggressive, fast play. However, try as I might, I cannot pull off T-spins. I wish there was a interactive tutorial. I get how they work but the mechanics of pulling them off are escaping me

Yeah same, I'm a bit disappointed that the adventure more doesn't try and teach you some of these more advanced techniques, and the lessons are helpful but as you say non-interactive.

Top Bottom