• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

I see, so it has some kind of online mode. Still 40 Euro for a puzzle game... Even though it feels like one of the best Tetris iterations so far. I guess I'll wait for the price to come down a little.

I'm new to the whole switch and eshop stuff(got my switch today). As far as I understand it's possible to create a separate account for the US and even Japan? Will the games I buy in the US shop show up on my homescreen like the gamecart and stuff I got from the EU shop? Or do I have to log in into a different account to access those games?

-Because buying the US version would be rather cheap then at 27,50 Euro...
They show up. You can have multiple accounts on your one switch or you can even easily switch the region of your main account and buy games from multiple stores while having them all go to the same account.
40 is a fair price for this game if you like puzzle games, imo. Lots to do and get good at.

When playing on Switch with a joycon is there a way to play with the buttons as a Dpad instead of the analog stick? I reckon that for this type of game I'd rather have a digital Dpad than an analog stick for moving pieces.

Skyzard

Banned
I think the puyo puyo mode (top middle mode) in single player endless is a great way to practice setting up puyo puyo chains and getting your brain used to how you need to position them.

I remember trying it out and it would just go forever letting me set up chains and never losing or anything. Not sure if it speeds up, I just quit out last time as I was playing it for ages.
I saw someone mention the same thing too.

I think it's time for me to spend more time in that mode as getting through section 6 is getting pretty tough with the puyo games.

MTC100

Banned
Both online and local. Also you guys better practice your t-spins because you're going to need it online.

I've actually seen that in the expert tutorial I was a bit amazed at first, was this possible in the original Tetris too? I don't think so, rotating was possible I'm sure -but not that kind of voodoo that is shown there I think...

Welcome to the fold brother! And yes the game will pop up on the same home screen even though you bought it with a different account. Switching between them is a painless as choosing which user is going to open the eshop when you open it on the home screen. I def reccomend making a US alt and a Japan alt. I myself have a jpn alt and it let me play Kaminko in English a full 2 weeks early.

That's pretty amazing, hope they accept a non american visa credit card. One thing though: Can I still play with European players on my EU account online or do I have to use the US eShop account to play the downloaded game? Also this would be interesting to know for when Nintendo launches their payed online service, I don't intend to have two subscriptions with them...

They show up. You can have multiple accounts on your one switch or you can even easily switch the region of your main account and buy games from multiple stores while having them all go to the same account.
40 is a fair price for this game if you like puzzle games, imo. Lots to do and get good at.

Sounds too good to be true and also like something Nintendo might "fix" in the future? I remember how strict the PSN is with changing your nationality/shop.

(and while 40 might be fair, 27,50 would be better :p)

Poppyseed

Just played online against my buddy in London. I'm in WA State, so pretty far away. It ran flawlessly, and since we were on the phone at the same time I could hear the Puyo sounds were REALLY closely synced with real-time. No lag or noticeable latency whatsoever.

We played for an hour, and it was amaaaaazing!

When playing on Switch with a joycon is there a way to play with the buttons as a Dpad instead of the analog stick? I reckon that for this type of game I'd rather have a digital Dpad than an analog stick for moving pieces.

I'm not sure how that would work? I guess you could rotate the pieces with sl and sr but you'd need to use the joystick to activate quickdrop etc. I think it would be finicky and a lot more annoying than just moving the piece with the joystick.

RRockman

Banned
I've actually seen that in the expert tutorial I was a bit amazed at first, was this possible in the original Tetris too? I don't think so, rotating was possible I'm sure -but not that kind of voodoo that is shown there I think...

That's pretty amazing, hope they accept a non american visa credit card. One thing though: Can I still play with European players on my EU account online or do I have to use the US eShop account to play the downloaded game? Also this would be interesting to know for when Nintendo launches their payed online service, I don't intend to have two subscriptions with them...

Sounds too good to be true and also like something Nintendo might "fix" in the future? I remember how strict the PSN is with changing your nationality/shop.

(and while 40 might be fair, 27,50 would be better :p)

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I think it might be up to the game that you're playing though as puyo puyo itself lets you pick and any location in the world as your home location (and lets you change it later) when you go online with it, and in the splatoon 2 demo we were able to fight with and against japanese players too.

I would imagine you would be able to pay for Internet with the primary user and all other accounts will be able to go online with their respective regions as long as the primary account pays the bills but I have no idea how nintendo is going to implement it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

There are some alternate control schemes that de-emphasize the analog stick in various ways but none that are really satisfactory IMO.

10.png
11.png

12.png
13.png

14.png
15.png

16.png
17.png

18.png

I would have much preferred a slight alteration to the standard control scheme where both hard drop and soft drop were moved to the buttons and removed from the stick altogether. I really don't like any single-Joycon scheme.

How do you get the Sonic puyos? I don't see them in the shop

They're probably unlocked somewhere in Adventure chapters 8 through 10.

MTC100

Banned
I would imagine you would be able to pay for Internet with the primary user and all other accountside will be able to go online with thier respective regions as long as the primary account pays the bills but I have no idea how nintemdo is going to implement it.

Hmm I see, that would be the perfect solution, wonder if Nintendo will implement it that way though. And true, in Splatoon you could see players from around the world playing against each other. It might really be up to the game, the Switch is not region locked after all so their might not be any kind of hardware/software restrictions involved.

baconcow

Out of those control methods, I would like to use arcade, but without hard drop / quick drop being on the analog up. Having hard drop and movement on the same analog stick bothers me. I am quite a fast Tetris player and I can only imagine having tons of mis-drops with these setups. Hopefully, Hori or someone will make some nice smaller 3rd party controllers that work with the Switch (not the one they're making that is like the Pro Controller). I think fast drop / soft drop on the analog stick is okay, but I would like the hold and hard drop on the shoulder buttons.

Is Join Friend broken?

One of us makes a room online and never shows up for the other as having created a room at all. The Join Friend list remain unpopulated.

Now, I see a friend on my friends list shows up as having a room created in Versus. I try to join and it says "Cannot locate session" I assume they discarded the room before I had a chance to join but I refresh and it once again says they have a room.

I have my friend create another room and he simply doesn't show up under Join Friends at all.

Feels pretty broken or I'm just not understating how to join a friend online.

Berordn

I have a feeling this has been asked before, but is there a list anywhere of all the music tracks and how to unlock them? I've got a whole bunch of holes in mine even after finishing all of Adventure.

Glix

Im REALLY enjoying this. So many Tetris games are garbage cash grabs.

This game was made with love and screams quality.

Plus, i put the keychains on my switch backback zippers, so thats cool.

BossRush

I sat down to play some of the adventure and some marathon, and by the time I got back up my legs were asleep from sitting too long to play

This game is going to kill me.

Sixfortyfive

I have a feeling this has been asked before, but is there a list anywhere of all the music tracks and how to unlock them? I've got a whole bunch of holes in mine even after finishing all of Adventure.

Are you sure you finished Adventure mode? Did you check it again after getting to the credits?

correojon

EU here, just checked the eShop and it still isn´t available :S I was hoping it would get released at midnight like games used to do in WiiU...

EU here, just checked the eShop and it still isn´t available :S I was hoping it would get released at midnight like games used to do in WiiU...
On the 3DS it was always noon for third party games and midnight for first party games, in the US at least (going by ET).

IDK for the Wii U since I can't remember any major third party launches for some reason. :/

javadoze

After hours of playing online...

...I think I just 4-chained a number of times? ....Intentionally?

Despite this, I flunked my rank promotion to Amateur around 3 times.

japtor

There are some alternate control schemes that de-emphasize the analog stick in various ways but none that are really satisfactory IMO.

18.png
Funky but this is the one I ended up using last time I played with single joycons. I hold with my left...and try to use my other hand to press the shoulder buttons, since that's the closest to the regular setup. Other than the awkwardness and occasional brain farts on rotate/hold, the biggest issue is that I'm primarily a rotate right person apparently, so having to rotate left only throws me off a bit. A reverse option would be nice.

The tabletop modes would be ok too but it's a pretty big adjustment switching hands. If this were high school I'd be used to it from playing like that on my graphing calculator, but that was a long time back now.

If I could fully customize it I'd probably hold it upside down (so buttons on left), up to rotate, then analog stick up/down to hold/drop.

correojon

On the 3DS it was always noon for third party games and midnight for first party games, in the US at least (going by ET).

IDK for the Wii U since I can't remember any major third party launches for some reason. :/

Yeah I think that´s itt, I can´t remember buying any 3rd party title at midnight in WiiU either lol

Well, I guess I´ll join you guys tomorrow then!

I feel your pain brother:< I wanted some late night Tetris too.. I refuse to accept defeat and open eshop once every 10mins.

I'm trying to decide whether to pick this up on PS4 or Switch. I have a PS4 and its cheaper. I don't have a Switch yet, but I think it would be better for local co-op and I like the portable aspect for this game. Even tho I don't have a Switch yet I'd rather get it now because I have my amazon discount and I don't think it's gonna get much cheaper on the Switch here.

I'm trying to decide whether to pick this up on PS4 or Switch. I have a PS4 and its cheaper. I don't have a Switch yet, but I think it would be better for local co-op and I like the portable aspect for this game. Even tho I don't have a Switch yet I'd rather get it now because I have my amazon discount and I don't think it's gonna get much cheaper on the Switch here.
Buy both of course

Cerium

Oh, well that's disappointing

I have a switch so I might get it in that instead. Trying to go all digital and I notice it's advertsised on the e shop

I cancelled my physical Switch preorder since this game just makes more sense to have digitally ready to go anytime.

Stopdoor

So I've been playing a lot of Fusion mode online, which never seems to get talked about much. It's pretty great, because most pro players probably avoid Fusion mode, and once you know the mechanics it actually seems really noob friendly.

I say noob-friendly, because thanks to the combo delay letting you place another piece to continue your combo, I mostly just set up the field with lots of near chain Puyos, build up toward a Tetris, and when Puyos start popping I don't worry that much about chains and just start spamming any connections I can see with what I'm dropping, fill in a Tetris, and bam, I have like a 5 + 5 combo or something. Defense also feels more understandable because you can delay the garbage drop anytime you make any sort of chain.

I'm not awful at Puyo chaining, and it might be getting me into bad habits for that, but it's satisfying to just play without needing too much of a plan ahead and do pretty well. The matches are a bit more slow-paced, probably because I'm not playing any expert opponents, but I've had some even-level games.

Also, used the cheat to unlock all the skins because while I don't hate Adventure mode it seems kind of like a waste of time, and man, these satisfy my nostalgia bone in a deep way.

CEkaxg2.jpg

XaosWolf

9AM BST it is then.
I hope...
Pity because I'm working nightshift right now.
At least I have Spelunker to get me through tonight.

You guys. We need Puyo amiibo.

And Tetris! =D

I don't see this listed anywhere in the euro PSN store

It really is just the stupid Tetris Company licencing rules. Its amazing that SEGA even got this out over here at all considering not only that it's Puyo Puyo (which doesn't really do well in the west) and the licencing hell from TTC.

Skyzard

Banned
7-4 is kicking my ass. My Puyo Puyo game needs to be a little higher to get any further I think. More practice needed.

I like the campaign stages where you have to get a high score in tetris with only like 10 lines. So you have to stack as many as you can, fast, before clearing lines.

Kind of wish it had a whole mode for it! Or is that just tetris anyway :p

Sixfortyfive

Fusion mode is definitely the easiest one to improvise in.

The chaining rules in that one kind of have to be flexible, else it'd just be miserable.

Stopdoor

Fusion mode is definitely the easiest one to improvise in.

The chaining rules in that one kind of have to be flexible, else it'd just be miserable.

Yeah, improvisational is a good way to phrase it.

Also, the matchmaking is really bizarre. I'm now in "Ace" league with almost 3000 score (because I'm trolling noobs exclusively in Fusion now) and I just got matched with a "Student" league person with under 2000 score. I feel bad for them.

Top Bottom