• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris releasing April 25 NA, April 28 EU

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Want the keychains but definitely going digital. This is a game I want access to at all times on the switch.

yeah this is a great game to pick up, dive in for an online battle and put it down

I hope there is a nice active community for this game that sticks around. I know my wife will play like two times total and I'm hoping to get some serious multiplayer in with this one.

How is the community for the versions already released in Japan?

word, i really hope both Switch and this game take of

I totally thought this was a launch day game, dam!

I gotta be honest, that launching so close to Mario Kart 8 means I'll more than likely wait.

Double dipping on this so that I can give my original imported copy to a relative - and I'm someone who almost never does the dip (hands never on hips).

javadoze

This and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe coming out in the same week?

IaLG69Wh.jpg

This looks excellent, but the fact it isn't hitting launch is a huge bummer. Was looking forward to this as something to break up Zelda.

Negator

I'm interested in impressions on how it plays with the joy cons because those analog sticks dont really look all that great for precise Tetris controls.

If I have to use a pro controller to play the game I might as well just get the ps4 version.

iphys

I'm interested in impressions on how it plays with the joy cons because those analog sticks dont really look all that great for precise Tetris controls.

If I have to use a pro controller to play the game I might as well just get the ps4 version.

I already pre-ordered the Pro controller just for this game, because I can't even imagine playing with the directional buttons instead of a proper D-pad, never mind trying to play with the analog sticks on a single Joy-Con.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I would get this on release if I could play 4-player with extra Wiimotes. That's not possible though, right?

I wish.

I've got plenty of old Wii / Wii U controllers laying around and sure as fuck don't want to bother with analog sticks for puzzle games.

If there's an option to map harddrop to the buttons instead, then the Joycons might be tolerable, though.

How is the single player on this?

Tempted to get in on this.

- There is online play for the 5 versus modes.
- Every multiplayer mode can be played VS CPU instead if you want.
- There's a 100-stage single-player "adventure mode" consisting of challenges from each game type in increasing difficulty, complete with a daft animu story. Shouldn't take that long if you're competent in both games, though.
- There are some unlockables, but it's mostly simple things like alternate block skins and BGM.

There are a few more modes that are strictly single-player: the three basic Tetris modes that have been standard since at least the mid 1990s (Marathon, Ultra, Sprint) and three basic Puyo modes (Endless Puyo, Endless Fever, Endless Tiny Puyo).

I've never played a PuyoPuyo game, so I don't really understand what the mode names mean, but is there a standard Tetris Classic mode? Not a dealbreaker if not, still interested, just curious. Would be nice to have regular ol' Tetris to play (plus all the other modes) without having to bust out my OG GameBoy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never played a PuyoPuyo game, so I don't really understand what the mode names mean, but is there a standard Tetris Classic mode? Not a dealbreaker if not, still interested, just curious. Would be nice to have regular ol' Tetris to play (plus all the other modes) without having to bust out my OG GameBoy.
Yeah, there are a lot of Tetris-only variants. You can even do a Tetris vs Puyo mode where you can play one game while your opponent plays the other.

If you care about single player, however, you'll have to learn Puyo to beat it. That's basically where I got stuck with the game. lol

kubev

Bummer. I was hoping that this would come out sooner. It's one of only two games that I want for Switch so far, the other one being Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm still not canceling my pre-order, though, just in case Switches are hard to find for a while.

Yeah, there are a lot of Tetris-only variants. You can even do a Tetris vs Puyo mode where you can play one game while your opponent plays the other.

If you care about single player, however, you'll have to learn Puyo to beat it. That's basically where I got stuck with the game. lol

Ah cool, thanks! I'm not against PuyoPuyo or learning how to play it or anything (I feel like I've played similar games before as it is) I just was wondering if I'd be able to get my classic Tetris fix too.

Next up we need Puzzle Bobble / Bust a Move announced for Switch. Let's gooooo!

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I don't think the voices are all that bad.

So excited to finally play this; Tetris DS was one of my favorite games in that console, I actually still return to it from time to time, and I'm sure this one will be just as good at scratching that itch. Plus I really love the visuals here.

S2

Time to learn Puyo Puyo, I still have no idea how to do those amazing combos I've seen pros do.
There's another GAF thread that gives a quick run down on the basics of chaining: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392592

Once you get the hang of placing pieces, you just have to learn some patterns and try to make them in a match https://puyonexus.com/wiki/List_of_Chaining_Forms . It'll take some practice.

Another GAF thread gives a glimpse into higher level techniques where you fight your opponent with small chains to disable their setups. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184135

Plus I really love the visuals here.
Right? I love Puyo Tetris because it's so colorful. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the Western developed Tetris games that have this crazy obsession with... blue.
The music in Puyo Tetris is ace too. Many nostalgic remixes were included for longtime Puyo and Tetris fans.

How the fuck is there a Switch digital version but not PS4? Gamefly it is then.
blame the weird contracting the Tetris Company makes. Ubisoft holds the digital rights for the PS4 and other systems that came out at that time. The Switch version is only available in the west digitally due to a technicality.

G0523

I understood this but what I don't understand is why Sega didn't release the game on the other platforms, even physically, on the same systems it released in Japan. The game coming here at all is a miracle but I would've loved to see more people have access to it on Xbox One, 3DS, and Vita. Surely, there must be more people outside of Japan that want to play this game on those systems?

Top Bottom