• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PuyoPuyoTetris PS4 trophies just appeared in English

Is this a not shit version of Tetris? I don't even know what this puyo business is.

You can play regular Tetris in it too, yeah. But the focus of the game is a blend of Tetris and Puyo, which has you going back between playing regular Tetris, regular Puyo, and Tetris x Puyo which is a blend of the two.

Personally I enjoy the blend of the two more than the other two modes. They work quite well together because the Tetris blocks fall to the bottom of the field and the Puyo sit above. You can however, just use it as a straight up Tetris game if you want to, it's probably the best regular Tetris game on PS4.

Izuna

Banned
You can play regular Tetris in it too, yeah. But the focus of the game is a blend of Tetris and Puyo, which has you going back between playing regular Tetris, regular Puyo, and Tetris x Puyo which is a blend of the two.

Personally I enjoy the blend of the two more than the other two modes. They work quite well together because the Tetris blocks fall to the bottom of the field and the Puyo sit above. You can however, just use it as a straight up Tetris game if you want to, it's probably the best regular Tetris game on PS4.

Not probably, it straight up is the best version of Tetris out. It's pure Tetris DS without the infinite flipping that you could do. It's why some of the best players still play it.

~~

However, Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo in this game is not balanced. Masters at both games have found that even with Hard drop for Puyo Puyo, you can't beat the average high-performance play of Tetris. There are a very videos on why, but whether you're doing T-spins or combinations, you're going to beat even the most impractical Puyo Puyo combos.

Tetris, for the most part, can be on complete auto-pilot and play a 2-dimensional game, only worrying about speed, but Puyo Puyo needs to play reactive at the same time.

I think that Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary Edition is the one currently played, I'm not sure, but yeah. For Tetris, this game is simply the best.

Outside of competitive play, Swap mode is great fun.

FrayedExcitableGrayling.gif

Xater

It's being released in Korean and Chinese early next year:

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/11/04...calizing-select-games-in-traditional-chinese/
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/12/01/puyo-puyo-tetris-to-release-in-korea-on-february-9th-2017/

Would be a shame if they did a SEA English version only on PS4 ...

Even if it is just an English release for SEA I'll get it. I love this game and havin it in English would be fantastic. A release over in the west would of course be even better.

Izuna

Banned
Wait, really? I thought this gen had like mandated digital versions

確かに配信日は4月15日になっていますね、Vita版がパッケージと同じ2月6日配信ですから2ヶ月以上も遅れて配信されています。そもそもPS3版のDL開 始すらメディアへの通知が無かったような気もしますし、当然のように遅れた理由も不明なままです。

PS4/XboxOne版も暫く経ってからDL版が配信される可能性はあるかもですな。まぁ色々なハードで展開されているゲームですから「次世代機らしい」ゲームとは真 逆で「PS4やXboxOneでも動くゲーム」という認識が良さそう。既にPS4やXboxOneにメインハードをシフトしている人向けだと思いますが、価格が なぁ。

~~

I think SEGA screwed themselves over imho

Not probably, it straight up is the best version of Tetris out. It's pure Tetris DS without the infinite flipping that you could do. It's why some of the best players still play it.

~~

However, Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo in this game is not balanced. Masters at both games have found that even with Hard drop for Puyo Puyo, you can't beat the average high-performance play of Tetris. There are a very videos on why, but whether you're doing T-spins or combinations, you're going to beat even the most impractical Puyo Puyo combos.

Tetris, for the most part, can be on complete auto-pilot and play a 2-dimensional game, only worrying about speed, but Puyo Puyo needs to play reactive at the same time.

I think that Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary Edition is the one currently played, I'm not sure, but yeah. For Tetris, this game is simply the best.

At the Red Bull 5G earlier this month, the competitive format seems to have settled on 2v2 PTvPT. Essentially the Tetris player plays bulwark so the Puyo player can set up their haymaker.

Pro Puyo players all just play whatever, whether it's classic Puyo Puyo 2 or Puyo Tetris or the new Puyo Chronicles.

Dachande

I will double-dip on an English PS4 version just for translated menus. English subs for the story mode would be icing. My bf and I have hundreds of hours on the Japanese version just playing Switch mode against each other. It's the best puzzle game in years.

I do wonder why some kind of co-publishing deal between Sega and Ubisoft wasn't worked out for a Western release years ago. It sounds like it'd be a no-brainer, Ubisoft wouldn't even need to do anything except lean forward to take their cash off the table.

S2

Currently the top puyo players are playing on Puyo Puyo Chronicle since there's some QOL fixes for competitive players (custom set counter that can go up to 100 rounds).

But yes, Puyo Puyo Tetris PS4 is the best Tetris game out right now. Solid controls, amazing netcode, no bugs. imo the serious Tetris scene is dying a little in the West, but Puyo Puyo Tetris could make a huge difference.

I imported both the PS4 and Vita version a while back and thoroughly enjoyed them, but I sold them when I couldn't justify keeping them over taking the money they were worth instead.

I'll totally rebuy them if they come out in English.

CamHostage

This is now at least the third piece of evidence pointing to a possible localization

Previously:
SEGA wanted to bring Puyo Tetris overseas
Trademark for old puyo pop fever logo cancelled on Dec 2nd

So, was the sub-licensing of Puyo Puyo to other publishers something that accidentally got in SEGA's way later on? It's interesting that they're using Puyo Puyo for the title instead of Puyo Pop as it has been released outside Japan once or twice, Did somebody own distribution rights to Puyo Puyo games internationally and it finally became null?

MacTag

Banned
I doubt someone else owned Puyo Puyo rights, Sega's just going back to the original title and letting Puyo Pop finally die.

They also used Puyo Puyo 2 as the title for the recent remaster in Sega 3D Classics Collection and Puyo Puyo 39 as the title title for the minigame in Project Mirai DX. Puyo Puyo Tetris wouldn't be the first time Sega used it in the west.

Rhapsody

Banned

~~

Isn't that for the Vita/PS3/3DS version? I recall hearing that the PS4 version is on a different balance to where Puyo had the upperhand.

I don't get the excitement, isn't this just a reskin of dr robotniks mean bean machine?
It's been available in English for a long time...

saturnine

Is there any point double dipping except to support the release? I went through the story not understanding a single thing, but is it actually a riveting tale for the ages?

Pokemaniac

What I really hope is that this means the Tetris license is freed up enough that Tetris DS can be released on Virtual Console. It was really dissapointing when even Game Boy Tetris got delisted from the eShop.

no way this is gonna happen, sega dont own the rights to tetris outside asia, and one of the WORST companies own it outside asia. unless they cut a deal (highly unlikley)

probably english for more asia countries.

but i hope this is true, one of my few imported games that i kept.

BEST version of tetris.

MacTag

Banned
no way this is gonna happen, sega dont own the rights to tetris outside asia, and one of the WORST companies own it outside asia. unless they cut a deal (highly unlikley)
Considering Ubisoft's done literally nothing with the license since Tetris Ultimate over 2 years ago I'm guessing their deal might be expiring soon or already has.

As mentioned above it'd be nice if this means delisted Tetris games can come back too. Particularly GB Tetris on 3DS Virtual Console.

Saikyo

I don't get the excitement, isn't this just a reskin of dr robotniks mean bean machine?
It's been available in English for a long time...

-Mean Bean Machines doesnt have an online mode
-There is no digital or boxed release of Mean Bean on PS4/Xbone
-More drop patterns than just "2 puyos" depending of your character
-Mean Bean Machines ruleset was based on "Puyo Puyo 1" so its very outdated (Puyo 1 who attacked first after doing a very long chain won, starting with 2 fixed that so you can counter)
-There are lots of other modes than just "vs cpu" or "p1 vs p2" and you can mix and match tetris and puyo gameplay.

b4mv

Banned
I had imported this on X1 a while back, Will be grabbing for PS4 if a translated version comes out, regardless of what region it's released in.

Izuna

Banned
Isn't that for the Vita/PS3/3DS version? I recall hearing that the PS4 version is on a different balance to where Puyo had the upperhand.

I hadn't heard anything about that, interesting.

At the Red Bull 5G earlier this month, the competitive format seems to have settled on 2v2 PTvPT. Essentially the Tetris player plays bulwark so the Puyo player can set up their haymaker.

Pro Puyo players all just play whatever, whether it's classic Puyo Puyo 2 or Puyo Tetris or the new Puyo Chronicles.

I ought to hunt down those videos. Sounds exciting.

meppi

Gundam Breaker 3 has English trophies as well. Heck the Japanese and Asian versions are identical in that regard. Not even a separate trophy set.

That game was released in Japan when it was already announced that we'd be getting an Asian English release.

So while there is a Japanese trophy set for Puyo Puyo, that doesn't mean it's coming west as there wasn't any intent of releasing an Asian release up till a little while ago, therefor the new English trophies.

It's not out of the question though, but don't hope too much from this.
At best we'd get a digital release here.

I was debating on importing two copies of the JP version for myself and a friend, but I dunno whether I should hold off on that now. How long is the delay between trophy reveals like this and actual release information, generally?

Top Bottom