• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions Beta 2017 "true competitive multiplayer game" [Update: Trailer]

Edit: Trailer posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhHcEiegb8

Seeing some tweets
zeoZvhv.png

xyXUSO4.png

Hoping some video surfaces soon

Nzyme32

Very interested in seeing how this works out, even though it is taking a more "hero shooter" approach. I miss the old Quake days, and Quake Live wasn't really where it needed to be.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's indeed a hero shooter. There is a character with teleportation, one with scan vision, one with a charge attack.

I dunno about this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're not going to make it old Quake speed. They want people to actually play it and they've also been pretty upfront that it's coming to consoles eventually.

54-46!

Judging by that trailer it looks like it has QW / CPM style bunny hopping, not sure if that's a powerup or not but I like it.

I'm optimistic.

bee

looks a bit like ut to me, opening hero looks to be cloaked, dm6 remake, only some heroes have strafe jumping? one looks to have qw/cpm movement

could be worse but it didn't look great

They're not going to make it old Quake speed. They want people to actually play it and they've also been pretty upfront that it's coming to consoles eventually.
Wait what?

I thought they said its definitely NOT coming to consoles because they don't want any compromises.

EricGRIT09

Neo Member
Regarding the movement speed, keep in mind that the FOV they are using in the trailer (being that it is low) isn't going to look as fast as 90-100+ degrees as most people will play Q3/QLive.

peakish

Seems like it could be fun although I'm not sure about hero abilities. But being sceptical is way too easy, it can be a good game without being exactly what I want from the series. Weapon pickups are nice and the map with the eye in the pit was fittingly grotesque for Quake.

Lanrutcon

How you check if your shooter is fast enough:

Can it be played with a controller? If so, it's not fast enough.

Adnor

Banned
Was that Campgrounds in the trailer?

Wait what?

I thought they said its definitely NOT coming to consoles because they don't want any compromises.

They later said that currently they have no plans for porting it on consoles but that they haven't discarded the idea.

Basically it's very probable that it may come later to consoles.

Rockk

Is it playable there? I would be very interested to see what the top Quake players say after they play a couple rounds.

commissar

It's indeed a hero shooter. There is a character with teleportation, one with scan vision, one with a charge attack.

I dunno about this.
Chances are the charge will require some timing- as people could literally step left or right lol

Syncerror also stated the teleport is a projectile, so if you time it precisely when it passes through people you can telefrag them.

So it's likely the abilities will still take some skill, which is good.

Except for the wallhack :|

Zomba13

The actual game shooty part looks great, fast and fun, but I'm not sure on hero abilities and the like.

RooMHM

I feel like this should be faster.

Give me Quake 1 speed.
It probably shouldn t be a q3 reskin either with everything dumbed down. Not a single new weapon and it looks like weapon movemrnt animates like something extraordinary. Lemme rocket jump normally please!

It definitely looks faster than Overwatch and LawBreakers, but that's a given with Quake's inherit speediness.

It looks like Quake: Champions will be the fastest, and perhaps the most complex/difficult of the hero shooters. LawBreakers will be in the middle in terms of speediness and difficulty, and Overwatch will still be the easiest and slowest. With a beta coming in 2017, I hope I get in on that. I want to give this a shot!

120v

looks cool. Quake 5 is inevitable after the success of Doom so i don't mind this game doing its own thing

Miker

pros: q3dm6
cons: the world needs more heroes (but not in quake)

Iono, I remain cautiously optimistic.

BruinsMtB

Banned
Looks smooth, really glad bunnyhopping is in. If they let us run our own dedicated servers I'm so in. Anyone know if they've talked about that yet?

Mercador

Gimme q3tourney6 and Dm17 and I'll be happy. Space maps ftw. Nothing better than an "holy sht" with à railgun from across tourney6.

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
First impressions: Default speed could be a little faster. I don't like the look of the attack shown at 0:51 - reminds of me of the shoulder charge in Halo 5 which I hate. Otherwise, looks pretty promising.

Another thing that sets this apart from the other hero shooters is that it's clear that each character can use all the weapons and switch between them freely; there's no character specific loadouts, though there are character specific abilities. That's a big difference from all the others right now.

Man, I need character specific info now. Will there be varied health per character, and how do the abilities work? And what were those little item pickups? They didn't look like Quake 3 ammo boxes. I like the look of this game~!

tootsi666

Maybe it could be a good duel game after turning off abilities but right now I don't see a reason to be excited for this. Maybe I'm just a stupid fan and arena shooters wouldn't sell anymore but armor abilities didn't work in Halo, I don't think they will work here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder where Quake Champs leaves Quake Live. The latter is the go-to arena FPS for e-sports -- granted, the genre isn't as popular as it was back in the heyday of Q3/UT -- but the game is on life support at this point, so either Bethesda will pull the plug and leave a void that an indie title will fill (allow me to cheat and say this includes UT4) or it has something in the works that will, at least in part, serve as a replacement, which Quake Champs seemingly is not.

RemiLP

Damn that looks good., and takes me back to my old pc gaming days. This is making me considering buying a gaming pc again. Console is nice and easy to use, but you cant play games like that on console.

Top Bottom