• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions Beta 2017 "true competitive multiplayer game" [Update: Trailer]

.la1n

If it were just building upon Quake III Arena I would be ecstatic but I need to see how the "hero powers" play out. Right now it just looks like a needless feature shoved in so they can me too with the other hero shooters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They're not going to make it old Quake speed. They want people to actually play it and they've also been pretty upfront that it's coming to consoles eventually.

This. It's a modern shooter, it's not going to get Quake speed due to consoles for better or worse.

It looks good, but I'm still torn about it doing the MOBA hero bullshit.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Looks ok I guess. Diabotical looks better in my opinion.

Yeah Diabotical is the better bet for vets of the genre for sure. Just consider who is developing it compared to the people developing this new Quake... this isn't the same id software. I already donated to the Diabotical kickstarter which grants me beta for that game. Depending on what I hear from people who play it at Qcon I may end up picking it up or passing.

J.G.

Neo Member
Saw this at Quakecon, and everyone in the audience was loving what we were seeing until the "champions" were shown off, at which point it seemed the hype just cratered; the showcase of each frankly overpowered hero was received as well as a wet fart. It was a somewhat downbeat note to end the showcase

ps3ud0

Do we know if this will have CTF? Assumed it would but cant find anything concrete. That and Defrag and Ill be happy :)

Wonder how it will feel to have a physics system that cant be finessed to your favour

ps3ud0 8)

Adnor

Banned
Saw this at Quakecon, and everyone in the audience was loving what we were seeing until the "champions" were shown off, at which point it seemed the hype just cratered; the showcase of each frankly overpowered hero was received as well as a wet fart. It was a somewhat downbeat note to end the showcase

Goddamnit :(

I really can't see how champions won't feel absolutely tacked on with the "best" champion figured out and everyone picking him.

variations in what different people are good at influence how strong the different abilities are

it's hard to quantify how good enhanced rocket-jumping is - it's more about how well you can take advantage of the enhanced rocket-jumping ability

AaronMT86

I'm an old school Quake fan from back in the day. This trailer didn't really do much for me. Everything, the models, the maps, the characters all look washed out. What's with that?

KingKong

I wonder how much of the champion stuff is them planning to sell cosmetics for them. also continuing to introduce new champs to keep up attention to the game

BrikHog

Neo Member

Not surprised in the slightest, Unless they make these abilities like powerups (mega/ra/ya) this shit will forever stand out in a negative way, It just doesn't fit in a game like this.

Everything else was on point sans the weapon models (the rail gun looks like shit)

Newboi

The trailer honestly did nothing for me unfortunately. I'm not a fan of of the weapon or player models either. The visual designs of the maps shown so far look good though.

The game honestly reminded me of unreal championship 2 at first lol.

deleted

Still so-so on the style - otherwise it's nice to see Quake again. Even if it's kinda Unreal now :p

I'll bet that there's a mode without champion abilities. If they nail the core gameplay, they may have a champion exclusive deathmatch mode and duel/tdm without abilities.

wildfire

Banned

All I want to know. Do the champs have a single uique skill and possibly a passive? Or do they gain more and more skills with increasing power as a player acquires a resource in the match?

"All I want to know. Do the champs have a single uique skill and possibly a passive? Or do they gain more and more skills with increasing power as a player acquires a resource in the match?"

I don't think they've really said but I'm going out on a limb and saying it's probably just some difference in passive stats + an active, no leveling, etc.

deleted

"All I want to know. Do the champs have a single uique skill and possibly a passive? Or do they gain more and more skills with increasing power as a player acquires a resource in the match?"

I don't think they've really said but I'm going out on a limb and saying it's probably just some difference in passive stats + an active, no leveling, etc.

I'd be fine with it being an ult ability tbh. Available after some time, maybe accelerated with many deaths, so that it provides a comeback mechanic when the game is starting to get one sided due to one player having total map control.

And I'd hope that there are different modes, some without any stat or ability differences at all...

"I'd be fine with it being an ult ability tbh. Available after some time, maybe accelerated with many deaths, so that it provides a comeback mechanic when the game is starting to get one sided due to one player having total map control."

Nah, comeback mechanics are universally terrible. So are ultimates outside of MOBAs. Just being some flavor ability you get to use regularly is probably the most palatable way to fit something like that into Quake. If a player has and can maintain total map control, they deserve to win completely one-sidedly.

I remember reading that every champion will have one passive and one active ability.

deleted

"I'd be fine with it being an ult ability tbh. Available after some time, maybe accelerated with many deaths, so that it provides a comeback mechanic when the game is starting to get one sided due to one player having total map control."

Nah, comeback mechanics are universally terrible. So are ultimates outside of MOBAs. Just being some flavor ability you get to use regularly is probably the most palatable way to fit something like that into Quake. If a player has and can maintain total map control, they deserve to win completely one-sidedly.

Generally, I agree. With this game targeting todays eSports market and the possibility of some modes having abilities and some not I could see them going for a 'casual' experience where comebacks are part of the system to not scare newcomers away completely.

They could transit to the other modes over time.

Not to say that I want a system like that, I'm just thinking about ways to implement one and still keep the core gameplay intact. And having the core gameplay entirely reliant on map control with the abilities being a soft counter to that would make sense in the beginning. I'm pretty sure they are not able to keep this thing balanced with abilities either way, so I have my fingers crossed for modes without them.

OneUh8

Lol at Andrea. It's not as fast as past quakes. Looks good though and can't wait for it. Quake is my favorite multiplayer fps.

2gd must be rubbing his hands together. Diabotical wins in terms of aesthetics and gameplay from what I can tell from the albeit limited videos of both. Also if bloodline champions is anything to go by, Diabotical will also have better features (ingame tournaments, ladders etc).

Trailer of the year. So good to see some great Q3 maps return.

They need to pivot and relegate champion abilities to its own mode, though. Instead of offering one mode without abilities.

Had tiny bit of hope that they'll change into classic arena since the reveal of being a hero shooter. Gotta deal with it I guess. Guess they want a slice of this hero shooter pie that's taking over. So, just UT2015 for now in the true arena space. That's still a long way from completion (still in Alpha) but I'm not complaining there.

Anyway, this is a full priced game right?

Nokterian

It has the name Quake but it isn't Quake...fucking classes really? No weapon pick ups or health making strategy's? No going after what other shooters are doing sorry ID you could have made a updated version of Quake 3 instead and now we get this.

It has the name Quake but it isn't Quake...fucking classes really? No weapon pick ups or health making strategy's? No going after what other shooters are doing sorry ID you could have made a updated version of Quake 3 instead and now we get this.

It doesn't have classes, it has weapon and health pickups.

Where do you even get that???

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
2gd must be rubbing his hands together. Diabotical wins in terms of aesthetics and gameplay from what I can tell from the albeit limited videos of both. Also if bloodline champions is anything to go by, Diabotical will also have better features (ingame tournaments, ladders etc).

In 2GD we trust.

MiguelItUp

As someone that grew up loving id and the Quake series the whole character abilities rub me a bit weird, but I think once the game is out and I play it, it won't bother me at all. The gameplay looks like it's on the right track. I will say the cool thing about unique character abilities is that it gives you more of a reason to try every character. Though it would be cool to see if there were an ability to disable character abilities. The more options the better.

Bl@de

Looks like a mod for UT. And on top of that the hero/class/moba/ gameplay. Meh. Not how I remember Quake.

So much arguing over the fact that there's special abilities and yet, that trailer showed enough traditional quake style gameplay, that I don't give a shit...

Unless they are literally hiding the full impact of the hero abilities from the trailers, nothing in the trailer made me say WTF did they do to Quake. So I am still hyped about this game, and look forward to actually getting hands on with it before I pass judgement about the hero ability fucking up the game.

the different characters could have fairly minor differences like the runes from q3a's expansion pack

it might be awkward for balance, but if it's minor stuff like that it's still quake

Neiteio

Haven't read the thread yet, but holy shit THAT TRAILER

Why didn't they show that at E3 instead of the lame CGI??

FireSol

WHAT??? Does it confirmed???

WHAT??? Does it confirmed???

Nothing's been confirmed yet. In regards to no weapon or health/item pickups, while the trailer doesn't make it too clear, there are pickups.

QwHRB5e.png

That teal item appears to be a gun, and the neon green item in the distance appears to be armor.

This here appears to be a quad damage that's waiting to spawn.

That blue item is maybe a 50 health pickup. Regarding that yellow thing on the left...I don't know what that is.

The blue items on the right appear to be small health pickups. That blue thing in the middle may also be a gun; it resembles the gun that Anarki is wielding in this screenshot:

Why do these pickups look kind of bad? Well...the game's still in development. Anyhow, that's all the insight I have on the subject. Quake Champions really seems like Quake 3, the only difference is that you play characters that have a single ability(with an unknown cooldown), and who may have variable health. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Adnor

Banned
Guys the description of the video says that there are no weapon loadouts and no limit in how many guns you can carry so it's obvious that you have to get your guns in the map.

Guys the description of the video says that there are no weapon loadouts and no limit in how many guns you can carry so it's obvious that you have to get your guns in the map.

Yeah, unless they are holding back significant gameplay regarding how the heroes function, I can't understand the hate...

If anything, the movement doesn't reach the heights of Quake 3, but I still got quake vibes from that trailer.

I think it'd be great if Diabotical could exist as the platonic ideal of a competitive arena shooter and Quake Champions could be tuned to be enjoyable for a broader audience while still having a fairly high ceiling for mastery.

Fugu

Q3A/QL is my favorite game. I still play it every day. Quite frankly, the only reason I would move on to another game is because of population; if more people were playing QL I would probably completely ignore this sequel.

Most Q3A clones fail because they lack a compelling reason to be played over Q3A/QL, as the only real thing they could do to improve it is attract more players. This might actually do this but at the cost of some gameplay integrity with hero abilities. It'll depend just how much is lost in the translation, I guess.

As for the movement, it looks more like Unreal Tournament than any Quake game but it's pretty reasonable to chalk that up to the skill of the players in the trailer. There's not really much way for us to actually know about how, say, the strafe jumping feels without a decent player at the helm to show it off.

DM6 looks neat. The strafing looked acceptable. Still not down with hero abilities but whatever, I can live.
This is about where I'm at.

I think it'd be great if Diabotical could exist as the platonic ideal of a competitive arena shooter and Quake Champions could be tuned to be enjoyable for a broader audience while still having a fairly high ceiling for mastery.
I think the trouble that people are having with selling games in this genre is that Q3A basically already is the platonic ideal of a competitive arena shooter and that the fans of the genre don't really want anything less than that.

I'm confused about the movement system. In one clip it looked like the player maintained speed while turning in the air like cpma/qw movement. I thought this was going to be more like Q3A with strafe jumping? I think it's pretty risky to go in that direction. While I like it, games that use it haven't exactly taken off.

The lightning bolt icon could be speed up similar to quake 3 but at this point it could be anything.

Not using green pluses for health feels odd after quake 3 too

barit

I like it

But dunno if it's a good idea to plan a console version. It will definitly lower the overall game/movement speed

Jaleel

Quake Champions Is Not A Hero Shooter
I know, it sure seems like one, but it isn't. While there are separate characters, and each of them does have one unique ability at their disposal, they're just minor wrinkles in otherwise near-identical shells. Willits used the word "additive" to describe the character abilities, stating clearly that matchups and team comps aren't what determine outcomes, player skill is.

We good, Fam. Just chill. Gunna be glorious, ya'll thought DOOM was gunna be ass. Haha!

"So 4 of 5 heroes have legalized hacks.

I'm OK with this but i can see how this will turn off many."

Yeah, I don't know why they think some of those abilities would ever really be okay. Stop putting wallhack abilities in games, devs.

Top Bottom